toughness

NILAN/KORDIC

Yep, sign ORR. Komi won't even play tonight. Carbo already said he is playing 3 differnet teams over the first week of pre season.

Maybe ORR watched the game last night and will give BG a call today.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was a sight for sore eyes. The team didn't sem demoralized by it, though.

Guys like Laraque are hard to find. Colton Orr isn't anywhere close to Laraque in terms of presence or even hockey ability, believe it or not.

I'd like a goon eventually as well, but it's kind of one of those positions we can add later. We need to find out who is playing other positions on the team first.

It's an interesting debate because of the mixed messages you get. For instance, I know a lot of people who bemoan the Instigator rule and argue that it prevents players from being self-policing - with the result that a lot more dirty tricks have crept into the game. On the other hand, many on this board are arguing that we need a 'policeman' as though the instigator rule is irrelevant - as though any liberties taken with star players are instantly revenged by rampaging tough guys in today's NHL. Which is it? Has the Instigator rule put a chill on self-policing, or not?

(I'd note also that for decades now, Habs teams have been reviled for not being tough enough. Sometimes it's true; but a lot of the time it's based on a confusion between genuine 'toughness' and being a fighter. The team of the 60s won four Cups while supposedly being a bunch of poofs. The Flyers thought they could trounce the team of the 70s with knuckle-dragging apes like Schultz. The 1993 team didn't have tough guys that I can recall, just gritty player willing to pay the price. So give me character first, glove-dropping tough guys a distant second, although I sure wouldn't kick Chris Neal off my team :lol: )

On the other hand, many on this board are arguing that we need a 'policeman' as though the instigator rule is irrelevant - as though any liberties taken with star players are instantly revenged by rampaging tough guys in today's NHL. Which is it? Has the Instigator rule put a chill on self-policing, or not?

)

We need a police-man no doubt about it. The instigator rule is not irrelevant but last year it was changed from, I think , 3 to 5. Basically the NHL said alright 3 is too little, you can have a few more passes on starting fights. The door is creeping open for a few goons to do some damage. Crosby getting a policeman is a sure sign of this as well.

I personally love fights. They are a part of the game. I don't want to waste space on our roster with a jug head but I do want some muscle before someone hurts Higgins, Komi, etc..... or even worse....when we play the Pens we start to let Crosby get his way because we are afraid of Big George. No-way! If I ran this team, I'd go and get the biggest monster on skates I could find just to deal with these situations. It's a must.

we dont need a 'goon' we need tough gritty guys who will drop em when the situation arrives.

Komisarek,Boullion,Begin,Kostopolos, smolinski,lapierre.... we have some tough guys here

The players we need would be a Ryan Getzlaf/Mike Richards/Owen Nolan in his prime style of players.

Question really is: do you carry a goon on the roster in place of extra D's (our D is so iffy) or a youngster like Chipchura or D'Agostini?

Considering the goon would almost never dress; and when he would he'd play about 5 mins in a game... there's really not much incentive in having that type of player on the roster.

Question really is: do you carry a goon on the roster in place of extra D's (our D is so iffy) or a youngster like Chipchura or D'Agostini?

Considering the goon would almost never dress; and when he would he'd play about 5 mins in a game... there's really not much incentive in having that type of player on the roster.

Who' going to stand up to George?that extra D, Chips?,D'Agostini ?they won't be around for very long if that's the answer. Who knows what the right thing to do is. Plus having a tough guy on the bench will make guys like Komi, Laps Begin play tougher. There are a lot of benefits that come with a goon. Gainey needs to find one that can play.....that's all.

I'm not so concerned about the goonish aspect of our toughness. Last night at one point Kostopoulos, Murray and Komisarek were all on the ice at the same time as Laraque. Of course, Laraque was mixing it up, trying to get something going and I just smiled that toughness was there for us. Laraque could have won another fight, but for what, to lose the game?

As it turned out he spent good time in the box :lol::clap:

In the regular season it'll be interesting to gauge this. What Laraque did last night was foolish and a goon out of control can sometimes put his team on the PK. That's never good. Maybe toughness isn't as important as we think it might be. Latendresse has size and should be able to grab the other players sweater and stop a 2 on 1 fight without any major problems.

Maybe Gainey will decide based on this camp that this needs to be answered. Who knows?

We'll find out. Valentenko might be out because Carbo wants Bonneau in for this very reason. These Pens are becoming rivals of ours and it's heating up. Carbo might want to try out some toughness and go with Valentenko tomorrow. If Bonneau plays, we are about to see what he's made of in the NHL goon dept.

[(I'd note also that for decades now, Habs teams have been reviled for not being tough enough. Sometimes it's true; but a lot of the time it's based on a confusion between genuine 'toughness' and being a fighter. The team of the 60s won four Cups while supposedly being a bunch of poofs. The Flyers thought they could trounce the team of the 70s with knuckle-dragging apes like Schultz. The 1993 team didn't have tough guys that I can recall, just gritty player willing to pay the price. So give me character first, glove-dropping tough guys a distant second, although I sure wouldn't kick Chris Neal off my team :lol: )

The 60's team had Fergie, 70's Robinson, 80's Nilan 93 had Ewen and Odie........ These type of players are important, as I have stated and been argued on repeatedly over the years. Glad to see more taking up my lead.

Lapieerre wears a visor there will be a visor= no fighting rule oin the near future

Begin hardly fights

Boulion cmon he won't challenge lawraque

Komy is theonly guy but he only fights 5 times a year

We need a Colton ORR!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Just re-freshing this.....I think we will be talking about this come Monday!

and I think we will keep on coming to the same conclusion that there is no sense benching a guy like Chipchura so that a goon can play 3 shifts.

They benched Chipchura for Dandenault? Much rather have a goon in. NILAN/KORDIC there are only a few posters who beleive the Habs need a goon to protect the other players. Have you ever heard the term beating a dead horse? That's what happens to posts like this, doesn't get you anywhere. Unless BG or GC check the board out for soem recomendations nothing going to change.

So you'll have to do wat i do, watch the Habs palyers get cheap shotted, watch knowone do anything about it and move on.

I recomeend following a second tougher team to get your tough, physical brand of hockey. I

I am hoping like you, one day soon, the Hbas will realize they need a goon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I know they don't fight much but I think in general our players are pretty tough. I mean, which ones can we call pansies? Our small guys tend to be our toughest and hardest working players. I think only Grabovski and Kostitsyn could be really pushed around but we haven't seen everything they have to offer yet. Kovalev is as tough as they come IMO - but I know lots of people would disagree with that.