Is Price going to crack the line up?!

Familia

well what do you all think?

I think yes, he's taking halak's spot

he won't stay unless he is the number one.

Since Halak is not the number one....then no, he won't stay.

I think he has a 50/50 chance of beating Huet outright for the starter spot though.

I'm really puzzled (spelling?) ont that one.

1- I can't see Price going back to the AHL. He was playoffs MVP last year, so he proved he's ready for the next level: The NHL.

2- I can't see Huet as #2 playing only 25 games. He won the Rogier Crozier trophy (best save %) in 2006. He proved that when healthy he can be one of the best goalies in the league. He deserves to start the season as the #1.

3- I can't see Halak going back to the AHL. 2005-2006: first year in North America; best ECHL goaltender. 2006-2007: steals Danis spot as Bulldogs #1; best goaltender in the AHL; played some solid games with montreal, but showed some inconsistency. I think he's proved he's NHL ready (maybe not as a starter) and that his development would be better in the NHL.

So what so we do? I really don't know. Trading Huet would be risky (Halak 22; Price 20 y.o.). Halak has actually a very low market value. Plus, you don't want to trade another Thomas Vokoun for nothing...

Edited by Punkned

From the camp reports it seems like it's been really hard to score on him. Considering that's his job he will be the starting goalie this year. Politics are what will get in the way. I don't understand the waiver rule that great. If he starts with the big team and he doesn't play that well they will want to send him down. Will he have to clear waivers? If so ,for that reason alone he won't be with the big team. If not he will be with the big team. The other political problem that will factor into the decision more then anything else, is.... if Gainey feels Huet will be great trade bait he has to play him. If Price takes his job right from the get go it will de-value Huet. With that said I think Price will probably deserve to stay but because of the reasons stated above he will go to Hamilton. Regardless he will be coming up at some point this year, and when he does he will stay.

The other big problem is Huet is really good, you can't just blow that off. What sucks for him is if he slumps for 2 seconds it's pretty much over for him in Montreal. Halak and Price are breathing down his neck. My vote is no, Price won't start the year with the big team but he will make his way up at some point.

well what do you all think?

I think yes, he's taking halak's spot

Maby, I think that would be great, but Carbo is already humming and haaaaaing. Saying if Price comes in he will be the starter. Huet isn't a fried chicken. He's a great goalie. I can't see a 20 year old coming in and taking his place just like that. If he does? Shit we will have a brick wall in net, but I doubt it, I'm not feeling it from Carbs who will probably have the last word.

Huet's contract is up at the end of this year. In essence, he is trade deadline bait for another team. Price, if having a good year in the AHL and a few successful callups would likely take over at that point.

True.... If I was GM I would send Price to Hamilton, play the shit out of Huet. Hopefully he plays great. Get his value up. Work Price in slowly around January....Make Huet available....trade him for a slammin center, put Price in net and go get the cup.

Sound good?

Wow, people really are going a little nuts over Price. He seems like a safe bet to be a damn good goalie, but he's as green as my face after that last game against the Leafs last season. And he had a great playoff in the AHL - does that prove he's 100% ready for the rigours of a full season of the pro game, let alone the NHL? If he has to spend more time in Hamilton, it's not self-evident that that will be a waste of time for him. And if we do trade Huet and make him our #1 (not an implausible scenario for the trade deadline) it's not self-evident he will pull a Dryden/Roy.

Wow, people really are going a little nuts over Price. He seems like a safe bet to be a damn good goalie, but he's as green as my face after that last game against the Leafs last season. And he had a great playoff in the AHL - does that prove he's 100% ready for the rigours of a full season of the pro game, let alone the NHL? If he has to spend more time in Hamilton, it's not self-evident that that will be a waste of time for him. And if we do trade Huet and make him our #1 (not an implausible scenario for the trade deadline) it's not self-evident he will pull a Dryden/Roy.

Easy TCC. There are only four posts in this thread. I'd hardly call it nuts. Your statements are correct and it isn't self-evident he will pull a Dryden/Roy, but the stars sure are lining up for the kid. I can't help but be a little excited.

In stead of dogging peoples excitement why not read the posts through and offer some insight, like the question I asked about waivers. Will Price have to clear them if he was to make the team from the start? That will come into play when a decsion needs to be made should Carbo consider keeping him with the big team.

Starting the season in the AHL wouldn't hold back his development but he's good enough to make the NHL team. At this point in time, after about 10 NHL games I could see him proving that he's atleast ready to be an NHL starter. The question is whether we want him ready fast or if we'll take it slow because there's no need. It is not about whether he is too weak for the NHL or too good for the minors - because like I said, at his current stage, he could improve slightly with AHL experience, but after a handful of NHL games he will already be well on his way out of his "current stage."

I don't think Price has to be definitely better than Huet to get a spot on the team... Price & Huet could split duties to start the year if Price is good enough in camp, much like how Aebi & Huet split duties into November before Huet started getting more than 2 consecutive starts. Then if Huet beats Price, we can put him in the AHL and call up Halak to be the backup while Price gets more playing time in the AHL.

His audition can extend into the season, training camp isn't the be all and end all.

Huet will start 60 games for the Habs this year and Halak will get in the other 22.

Price will start 65 times in Hamilton...just to force him on conditioning.

I said last year that Lats should have stayed in junior. I still believe that he should have stayed there and been a mid-season call up this year. They'd have his NHL arb. rights for 1.5 years longer into his prime.

Price may have been the AHL MVP but those were also the only games he played there. Let him play a full season in the AHL, work on some things and get a late season call-up if he's playing well.

It's the same issue with Price as with Lats. This is a business. Make a business decision and make it one that improves this team over the next 4-6 years...not just a PR move that serves years 1-3. Leave Price in Hamilton for this year and half of next year. Then bring him in next January. They'll hold his arb rights without having to live through as many developmental pains at the NHL level.

The Habs used to leave guys in the minors for far too long. Now they are rushing them in far too quick given the new CBA. They needed to fall in the middle. They used to leave prospects in the minors till they were 25-26. Now they are clamouring to bring them in at 20-21 before they are even physically ready to play 82 NHL games.

Huet will start 60 games for the Habs this year and Halak will get in the other 22.

Price will start 65 times in Hamilton...just to force him on conditioning.

I said last year that Lats should have stayed in junior. I still believe that he should have stayed there and been a mid-season call up this year. They'd have his NHL arb. rights for 1.5 years longer into his prime.

Price may have been the AHL MVP but those were also the only games he played there. Let him play a full season in the AHL, work on some things and get a late season call-up if he's playing well.

It's the same issue with Price as with Lats. This is a business. Make a business decision and make it one that improves this team over the next 4-6 years...not just a PR move that serves years 1-3. Leave Price in Hamilton for this year and half of next year. Then bring him in next January. They'll hold his arb rights without having to live through as many developmental pains at the NHL level.

The Habs used to leave guys in the minors for far too long. Now they are rushing them in far too quick given the new CBA. They needed to fall in the middle. They used to leave prospects in the minors till they were 25-26. Now they are clamouring to bring them in at 20-21 before they are even physically ready to play 82 NHL games.

I see your point (up to a point) but the other side of the business is who do they play next year if Price stays in the minors? Huet is a UFA at the end of the year, and do you think he'll sign here for a 1-year deal, or even longer (which we wouldn't want) knowing that Halak and Price are this close to taking over his job?

If your solution is playing Halak, well then he'll need more than 22 games this year to suddenly be playing at the starter the year after; and you'd certainly want to know that Price could play solidly at the NHL level before having Huet leave and having the depth chart be a guy who played as his back up and has a total of maybe 45 NHL games at that time (Halak) followed by a guy who's never played an NHL game (Price) and Danis, who's got less than 10 under his belt.

Maybe Price goes back this year, but not for the whole year, and not into next year for sure.

It's a tough call.

Price has a chance because Huet is probably not the long term solution; but I doubt he can steal Huet's job, because I expect that Huet will be firing on all cylinders since he knows better than anyone that Price gets his job if he doesn't.

Best case scenario if all three play well, Price gets a year of seasoning (or is the starter), Huet gets traded (or is the starter) while Halak plays 30+ games regardless of who the starter is.

Isn't it just great that we can have this discussion. We have been without a star since st pat left. now we have more goalies that the entire conference has . I can only smile and lick my lips. We are coming back. :hlogo: :clap:

Isn't it just great that we can have this discussion. We have been without a star since st pat left. now we have more goalies that the entire conference has . I can only smile and lick my lips. We are coming back. :hlogo: :clap:

haha nice post Habs rule ^_^

No matter who do the job, goaltending is the one position I am not worried about. Attack wise and especially on the defensive front tough :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Gainey disagrees with carbonneau on what is best for Price...reading between the lines a bit.

From today:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=338239

"With the hot button topic being Price’s odds of making the team, Gainey discussed how talk of the top job in either Montreal or Hamilton being the only possible alternative for Price was perhaps premature.

“Sometimes it’s tough for coaches to separate what is best for their current lineup and what will most benefit a young player’s development,” explained Gainey of the current battle between Price and Jaroslav Halak for the role as Cristobal Huet’s understudy. “For that reason, it may be my decision to make based on what makes the most sense for these players.”

Those wary of thrusting Price into the spotlight are not alone, but Gainey and Co. are hard at work deciding who is ready for prime time.

“It’s up to our hockey staff to decide what a normal growth pattern is for our young players,” said Gainey. “If a youngster say, skips from Grade 6 to 11, are there important steps that will be missed along the way? Can a given player handle that kind of a leap? Those are the types of questions we must ask ourselves as we look to best get these players to reach their potential.”

As for what’s best for both Price and Halak at this stage of their careers, that all depends, according to Gainey.

“Our goalie situation isn’t like New Jersey’s where you have Martin Brodeur playing over 70 games with a back-up being used sparingly,” said Gainey. “Our back-up will see action, and as for whom will fill what slot, that will be determined over the next week or so.

“I believe a young goalie can develop either in Hamilton playing a lot of games, or here in a back-up role,” added Gainey. “We have two available goalie positions: the No. 2 job here in Montreal and the No. 1 job in Hamilton. Both have room for a goalie’s growth.”

Sounds like Gainey disagrees with carbonneau on what is best for Price...reading between the lines a bit.

I felt the same thing when I read that story. I always imagined that coach and GM would closely monitor camp together and knowing each other's agenda would come into play when it came to making cuts. I found Gainey's comments odd and out of character. Maby he is covering Carbo's ass when indeed they do send Price down, or maby Gainey really wants Price to stay and Carbo doesn't. All in all it doesn't matter to me. For the moment Huet looks to be the only one truly ready to play at a high level at the moment. Just like Gainey said the way things are In montreal all goalies will develop no matter where they are. We'll see in a week or so.

Price won't start, but likely will finish the year in Montreal. Huet will be moved by deadline IF Price is ready

As for waivers, Price is entering his first season as a pro, so waivers is not an issue. He can be brought up or sent down at will.

Waivers have to be cleared whenever call up or send down a player with I believe 2 seasons as a pro. I maybe mistaken on the time, but Price is for sure safe this year.

Price won't start, but likely will finish the year in Montreal. Huet will be moved by deadline IF Price is ready

As for waivers, Price is entering his first season as a pro, so waivers is not an issue. He can be brought up or sent down at will.

Waivers have to be cleared whenever call up or send down a player with I believe 2 seasons as a pro. I maybe mistaken on the time, but Price is for sure safe this year.

I think after that almost 3rd period collapse vs bruins they are looking at halak more closely

I think after that almost 3rd period collapse vs bruins they are looking at halak more closely

I was at the game, Right at the glass beside Halak, he didn't collapse, we still suck with a lead. Have to play 60 minutes guys. Especially the def. More care in coming out of our end. Be sure of passes, and Pleks lost the faceoff clean that was snapped home in the dieing seconds. Must win those. He wasn't happy with himself to say the least, stood by the circle in disbelief. Don't worry, he will improve.

Who gets the final 2 starts against BOSTON and the SENS?

Price, Huet, or Halak, or will they spilt em?

Pat Hickey of the Gazette has been saying Huet will get the starts, based on Carbo saying that he'll ice his opening day lineup for the final 2 games, but nothing's set in stone yet...