First Round of Cuts

Mr. Nasty

I don't understand this - don't they think it would be a good experience for Weber, Fortier and Subban to be in camp and play a game or two? They can cut guys like Bonneau who'll never make it.

I think management has a lot of players to look at - not just who will make the NHL team but who fits into an AHL and ECHL role. I guess this way the team can play the guys they know aren't returning to the minors no matter what.

I think management has a lot of players to look at - not just who will make the NHL team but who fits into an AHL and ECHL role. I guess this way the team can play the guys they know aren't returning to the minors no matter what.

I agree.

And I expect more cuts before tomorrow's game against the pens. There's still too much players (55) at training camp. Carbonneau said he wanted to cut that number down to 45-46 for monday. The next cut will be ECHL and AHL bound player like Bonneau, Baynes and others I guess

I don't understand this - don't they think it would be a good experience for Weber, Fortier and Subban to be in camp and play a game or two? They can cut guys like Bonneau who'll never make it.

These players have been in Habs' camp for over a week (including rookie camp). They've had a great experience, but their junior seasons start this week and there's over 2 teams worth of players even without them. They aren't making the team this year and they might as well go back to their junior clubs and play a lot of hockey.

When does Hamilton's camp begin, BTW? Some of these players will get assigned to their camp, but that usually doesn't begin until late September. I would guess the next people cut would be non-junior eligibles that were also at rookie camp, not guys like Baines (who is hurt anyways). So guys like Lacasse, Russell (even if he's done well), and Beauregard would be the next round. They too have been in camp for over a week and aren't likely to experience much pre-season game action... they're marginal guys in Hamilton. They've gotten good evaluations on them already.

Well not sure when camp opens for the Dogs but thier first pre season game is the 26th of September. So a few days before that is when camp will most likley open.

According to this Pat Hickey article, 9 players are on a "taxi" squad, just staying in shape and practising with the team until Hamilton camp begins at the end of this week. So essentially, there were 9 other cuts yesterday as there are a group of guys that won't see pre-season action. Two 23 man rosters are being kept, and I think there are still 3 injured players (Brisebois, Higgins, and Baines).

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...d94&k=16357

My guess on the 9 taxi squad players would be:

Aubin, Beauregard, Bonneau, Desharnais, Stewart, Gleed, Lacasse, Desjardins and one of Degon, Lemieux, Urquhart, or Russell. I'd guess Degon first, as that'd leave 15 D, 27 F and 4 G to play in the exhibition games, and there are 3 D that can play forward as well (Streit, Dandy, and Rivers). However, Russell has gotten the longest look as he's been here since rookie camp while the other 3 just started. He's played well, though.