Bolts vs. Canadiens | Game Thread | 04/27/04 | Game 3 | Round 2

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just terrible play by our defense in the playoffs. Turnovers galor in this 2nd round and Pussies Galor in both series. Rivet Jesus man play the body especially with 16 seconds left in the game you leave a Star playre alone in front the net what the hell are you thinking. Why Why Why was Komisarek playing so early in OT good turnover there at the blue line. I always said we needed to add a defensemen at break I knew we wouldn't win with Rivet, Bouillon and a rookie as our best backup player. even though up to that last play Komisarek has played good Bouillon has just played awful all playoffs and Rivet has basically choked every time the game is on the line. Souray hasn't been that great but what can you expect since he's probably hurt.

Gainey please address the Defense issue during the offseason. And PLEASE SIGN KOVY!!!!!!!!

I don't need to argue with you. You guys are the laughing stock of Habs fans.

Leafs suck was talking about Theodore bashers a few games ago.

Absolutely pathetic.

He stopped the shot, and you still blame him.

Forget it, I don't even want to waste my time explaining something so simple.

By taking 2 games off to start the series you put yourself in a hole... then you need everything to go your way just to have a chance.

Well this it what happens, play with fire... eventually you get burned.

And while the Habs dominated tonight, 18 scoring chances to 7 according to RDS, you can't make such stupid mistakes in the playoffs.

- 1 shorthanded goal

- Sunny not getting the puck out with 15 seconds left inexcusable

- Rivet not even touching Lecavalier in front of the net, after Markov made the same mistake in the exact same situation last series?... HELLO!?!?

- Komi turning the puck over in the neutral zone to start the OT

- Leads to 2-on-1 where Theo comes out way too much, then can't hang on and it's over.

Remove just ONE of those mistakes... and we probably win.

We got what we deserved.

Now I expect a good effort, maybe we stretch it out to 5-6... but I can't believe we win 4 in a row.

It's over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now looking forward to next year:

We knew this was a transition year... nobody expected a 2nd round, let alone a 1st.

We outplayed Boston for maybe 5-6 games in the 1st round... Theo made it last longer than it should have.

Now we showed up tonight... again we let in a few we shouldn't have.

I say no panic:

- Ribs & Ryder were our top 2 point men and as rookies they disappeared, they'll be better the next time around with this experience under their belt.

A 2nd producing line would have made all the difference this year.

- Souray you have to hope was more about being hurt than the 1st half being the exception... we'll find out next year.

- I think Kovalev should definitely be re-signed...

- Now Quintal out, Komi will get a full year's work... so he'll be much more ready next playoffs and won't blow the game like he did in OT tonight. He learned tonight.

- Perreault, Juneau, Sundstrom, Dackell are gone... Higgins & perhaps a UFA or two to complete the picture... and we should be good to go.

I don't think any big changes will happen that weren't supposed to happen next year... even before the playoffs started.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

I don't need to argue with you.  You guys are the laughing stock of Habs fans.

Leafs suck was talking about Theodore bashers a few games ago.

Absolutely pathetic.

He stopped the shot, and you still blame him.

Stopping shots isn't the only job of a goalie. They also need to control rebounds.

Anyway, 3/4 goals were all because of mistakes. Giving up a SH breakaway, not staying on their men on the tying goal, and a Komi turnover on the winner.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Both you and Leafs Suck have a problem playing well with others. You seem to think that you and you guys alone know hockey, while every other poster on this board is just a closet football fan.

You're not always right. You have an opinion, but so does everyone else. If you think you're right, you should explain, so everyone else can understand your point of view. This doesn't mean that they'll agree with it, but at least each side will be understood.

I watched the replay on TSN (not my favourite version, I prefer Sympatico's) and Jose made a solid save on the first shot. However, his rebound control has been awful this whole playoffs, and turning away from the man with the puck is the worst thing to do. I don't think either of you guys are goalies (if you are, excuse me), but every hockey player knows that a goalie shouldn't leave his post until the latest possible moment. The worst thing is, he didn't even get to the other post, because he was standing up near the top of his crease. What the hell? :?-

Jose wasn't the only person that screwed us up, and as Habs77 pointed out, a few other errors could have been fixed to give us the win.

I'm not going to try to go on about how this series isn't lost - that we can still win... even though it is the truth, that we can still win. Playing like we did today every period for the rest of the series, and we will win, garuanteed. The Bolts would not be able to keep up with us, matching our intensity.

Good luck Habs, you'll be live on TV down here , so if it's your last game (and I hope it's not), make it a good one.

That game might have been the lowest point I've ever been as a habs fan... Hurt alot. But I am not going to place the blame on any one player, we played as a team, and lost as a team...

It just hurts like hell.

I think I sat in shock for 15 minutes after Lecavalier scored the tieing goal.

But, I guess it was meant to be this way... for whatever reason. No point thinking about what could of been.

Look forward, I havent thrown in the towel yet, big deal, we're down 3-0 ... Big deal, only 2 teams have ever come back from down 3-0 to win a series in NHL history... Thats all it is, history. We had never come back from down 3-1 before the last series, we didnt let history stand in our way. Lets just go out there, give 110% and take it game by game, win the next game and its no longer 3-0 , its 3-1 ...

Unrealistic? Sure... But you've got to have faith.

golfball.jpg

I was about to shed a tear after Lecav's late goal last night....we should have won the game...

so close, but yet so far away...

I don't even want to talk about the Habs being capable of turning this series around because I don't know what kind of miracle we would need. Now is the time for the Forum ghosts to lead us through....Make Bulin, Lecav, and St. Louis suffer or some kind of nasty flu...maybe then we could stand a chance....AND of course our players still believing...it doesn't matter how much belief we fans have, if the players don't believe - and focus on a single game at a time with just the slightest doubt, we could just skip playing the forth game and pack our golf bags right away.

I'll say it like this, losing in the second round to a team like Tampa is a hell of alot better than losing in the first round to Boston.

They had a good run, but lets not start writing our suicide notes.

This is how teams become great. They can build on their great comeback from Boston, get rid of some of the riff-raff and bring up some of the young stars.

Free agents:

Andreas Dackell, (III)

Jim Dowd, (III)

Joe Juneau, (III)

Alexei Kovalev, (III)

Darren Langdon, (III)

Yannick Perrault, (III)

Stephane Quintal, (III)

Out of the group, I'd sign Kovalev, Dowd, and maybe Langdon. So that leaves several spots open for guys like Hossa, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hainsey, and so on (who are coming off solid seasons and who continue to develop)

[Edited on 2004/4/28 by Leafs Suck]

Look forward, I havent thrown in the towel yet, big deal, we're down 3-0 ... Big deal, only 2 teams have ever come back from down 3-0 to win a series in NHL history... Thats all it is, history. We had never come back from down 3-1 before the last series, we didnt let history stand in our way. Lets just go out there, give 110% and take it game by game, win the next game and its no longer 3-0 , its 3-1 ...  

I just hope we don't get sweeped. The Habs do not get sweeped.

Tampa won 3 in a row, so we can.

Tampa Bay is nothing but a fluke out. They have one every year, The Wild, Hurricanes, and Ducks

Originally posted by Habs77

By taking 2 games off to start the series you put yourself in a hole... then you need everything to go your way just to have a chance.

Well this it what happens, play with fire... eventually you get burned.

And while the Habs dominated tonight, 18 scoring chances to 7 according to RDS, you can't make such stupid mistakes in the playoffs.

- 1 shorthanded goal

- Sunny not getting the puck out with 15 seconds left inexcusable

- Rivet not even touching Lecavalier in front of the net, after Markov made the same mistake in the exact same situation last series?... HELLO!?!?

- Komi turning the puck over in the neutral zone to start the OT

- Leads to 2-on-1 where Theo comes out way too much, then can't hang on and it's over.

Remove just ONE of those mistakes... and we probably win.

We got what we deserved.

Now I expect a good effort, maybe we stretch it out to 5-6... but I can't believe we win 4 in a row.

It's over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now looking forward to next year:

We knew this was a transition year... nobody expected a 2nd round, let alone a 1st.

We outplayed Boston for maybe 5-6 games in the 1st round... Theo made it last longer than it should have.

Now we showed up tonight... again we let in a few we shouldn't have.

I say no panic:

- Ribs & Ryder were our top 2 point men and as rookies they disappeared, they'll be better the next time around with this experience under their belt.

A 2nd producing line would have made all the difference this year.

- Souray you have to hope was more about being hurt than the 1st half being the exception... we'll find out next year.

- I think Kovalev should definitely be re-signed...  

- Now Quintal out, Komi will get a full year's work... so he'll be much more ready next playoffs and won't blow the game like he did in OT tonight. He learned tonight.

- Perreault, Juneau, Sundstrom, Dackell are gone... Higgins & perhaps a UFA or two to complete the picture... and we should be good to go.

I don't think any big changes will happen that weren't supposed to happen next year... even before the playoffs started.

Congrats!!:clap: One of the best posts I've read in the post-season. Couple of comments:

Yes, the Habs dominated tonight and, at points, in game two. Tampa is a very good team and if the Habs can compete, even dominate at times, then, win or lose, I'm satisfied.

We knew this was a transition year... nobody expected a 2nd round, let alone a 1st. So true! I think this perspective is reasonably close to Gainey's perspective. This is a learning experience for the younger core players on the Habs (Ryder, Ribeiro, Komisarek...) and win or lose in round 2, they'll be much better players for the experience.

Kovalev and Koivu together are awesome.:clap: Koivu is the Habs' leader and Kovalev MUST be re-signed.

Habs now have size on the first line - Kovalev and Zednik. Now they need to address the need for size on the second line through a UFA signing most likely. Dagenais doesn't cut it.

I'm impressed with Dowd's consistency but do you keep him at the detriment to the progression of the youth? But there is that need for a right-handed centre...

Habs might bounce back - highly improbable but still a possibility. Win or lose it's been a great ride this year and I'm really looking forward to the strides the Habs will make next year under te stewardship of Gainey, Julien, et al.

Keep Dowd

Perreault, Juneau, Dackell, and unfortuinitly Langdon are gone...

Hossa deserves a full-time role, as does Higgins and Perezhogin

Play Hogin, with Kovy and Koivu... That line would be dynamite, than play Ribeiro, Zednik and Ryder. Two solid scoring lines.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Keep Dowd

Perreault, Juneau, Dackell, and unfortuinitly Langdon are gone...

Hossa deserves a full-time role, as does Higgins and Perezhogin

Play Hogin, with Kovy and Koivu... That line would be dynamite, than play Ribeiro, Zednik and Ryder. Two solid scoring lines.

Damn, I forgot all about Hossa and Hainsey:guru:

Due to their waiver status, both (or one of the pair) will either play with the big club or be traded over the summer. Both are in the same boat developmentally: all the physical attributes needed for success but not the mental maturity to put it all together.

What's Langdon's status? Why is he gone?

Langdon is a UFA. He wouldn't cost much, but it's just a question of whether or not they want a roster spot for a youngster. Personally, I'd bring him back at any time.

I'd hesitate on picking up the option on Sundstrom, but Dowd needs to be back, what with Juneau, Perreault, and Dackell leaving. Of course Kovalev needs to be back.

But, who cares about #27's status right now, all we need to focus on is his performance in game four because we need him to keep on givin it and throw in another helluva performance when we take the game on Thursday.

Go Habs Go.

Watched the game in the ESPN Zone on the strip in Vegas, got drunk out of my fuggin mind after the loss, woke up almost broke with a fat girl in my room, have to go to work now, i still believe...

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Perreault will sign elsewhere. Even if we wanted him back, he has playing a reduced role, his ice-time went down this season, he was sat for a bunch of games. I don't think he's overly happy in Montreal.

And frankly I wouldn't want him to stay. He was terrible during the season, sure he had a few good games in the playoffs but he's way too inconsistant for my likings. What would we keep him for? As a faceoff man? We aren't that bad in the faceoffs.

If our centres next year were Koivu, Ribeiro, Higgins and Begin I'd be thrilled...

Perreault doesn't want to leave Montreal because of his kids. I think he's proven what a valuable part of this team he can be. I just wish we didn't have a logjam at center. The way I see it, we don't need a "fourth" line anymore. Our first two lines should stay with our top scorers. Then the third line will be our youngsters and a veteran. Like Perezhogin and Hossa centered by Perreault. Then the fourth line will be our shutdown line.

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Ryder - Ribeiro - (blank)

(blank) - Perreault - Perezhogin

Begin - Dowd - (blank)

There are several options for the blanks. As much as I'd like to see Kastsitsyn in the lineup, he needs some seasoning in the CHL before he makes the big club, or he'll spend another year in Russia, then make the jump to the AHL when he's old enough. Bulis might play on the left of Perreault, which would add speed and defensive responsibility to that line, and free up a spot for Ward on the "grind line". Hossa might get a shot and play on the wing with Ribs, but who knows.

All in all, it looks like a good lineup for next year.

[Edited on 2004/4/28 by Toren]