Habs vs Boston...We Win!

MMPL

Since there was no game thread on the Habs Boston Game, i guess this will substitue for it:

A hat trick by forward Tomas Plekanec paced the Montreal Canadiens to a 4-3 pre-season win over the Boston Bruins in Halifax on Sunday.

The teams played a fast-paced tilt before a pro-Montreal crowd of 9,967 at the Metro Centre.

Montreal opened the scoring early in the first period when a shot off the right wing boards by free agent acquisition Brian Smolinski was deflected past Bruins goaltender Manny Fernandez by Plekanec. The goal was Plekanec's first of the pre-season.

Plekanec added to his tally with a power play goal, cutting off the left wing on a feed by Roman Hamrlik and calmly sliding a backhand past Fernandez giving the Habs a quick 2-0 lead just six minutes into the first period.

The Canadiens jumped to a 3-0 lead in the second when Plekanec wristed a rebound off a Michael Ryder shot high over Fernandez's shoulder on another power play.

Bruins right winger Chuck Kobasew cut the lead to 3-1 beating Canadiens goalie Jarolsav Halak by finishing off a slick three-way passing play with linemates David Krejci and P.J. Axelsson.

The Canadiens restored their two goal lead just minutes later when winger Chrisopher Higgins beat Fernandez with a weak wrist shot from the top of the slot.

The goal was the first for Higgins, who suited up for second game in a row, after sitting out the first four games of the exhibition schedule.

He had a chance for his second when he was awarded a penalty shot near the end of the second period, but was stopped by Fernandez on a deke attempt.

The Bruins, who were outshot 33-17 came out with a flurry in the third, slicing the Canadiens' lead in half on a goal by veteran winger Glen Murray.

The goal drew a large cheer for the native of nearby Bridgewater, N.S.

The Bruins made it close when Phil Kessel beat Halak with just nine seconds left in the game.

Montreal outshot Boston 37-30.

We improve to 3-3

:hlogo:

I was at the game and will do a recap shortly. If you haven't seen the highlights yet, you have got to see the huge hit that O'Byrne made. It was a beauty.

are highlights going to be available considering that the game didn't seem to be broadcast anywhere?

Here are my thoughts from today.

Really enjoyable game. much better than the game in Moncton :puke:

First of all, I would be pissed if I were a Bruins fan...they were awful. They were missing passes, not getting the puck out etc. They do not look like a good team.

S. Kostitsyn: Way better than I thought. This guy is better than Grabovsky. He is quite a little agitator also. On an icing call he nudged a Boston player into the net when chasing for the puck. He did get called for diving at one point though.

Higgins: If he was not in game shape then he will be dominant. He was great tonight.

Grabovsky: Fast and creatiive but not an NHL player just yet IMO. He is a decent replacement on a scoring line when needed. He needs to get stronger.

A. Kostitsyn: Not as dominant as we have seen from him. He was good but not great tonight.

O'Byrne: This guy loves to hit and he is great at it. He needs to make better decisions on when to hit as he caused an odd man rush which resulted in the 1st Boston goal because he missed his hit. He is pretty smart with the puck and I think he will beat out dandy for the final spot. He looks a bit lanky and if he fills out some more then he will be deadly.

Dandenault: This guy was terrible in the 1st period but got better as the night when on. He looks desperate...like he knows his job is on the line.

Komisarek: He wasn't his usual hitting self. Probably a bit tired...but still great. He is a definite leader...very vocal on the ice and in the warm-up.

Streit: Played very well and played a lot. He played 25 mins against Ottawa the night before so he must be exhausted...perhaps they are showcasing him, lol

Pleks: What can I say. He got the hattrick.

Milroy: Career AHL'er

Maxwell: Good but definitly needs time in the minors. Better than I thought.

Halak: Good game, not a great game but he didn't have to be.

Kostopoulos: a good energy guy. Did his job...but did have a bad turnover once.

Hamrlik: Very solid d-man. He is very patient with the puck...you can tell he is very confident. He is completely different from Souray. He is not very physical but always seems to be in the right position. If he is going to man the point on the PP then the Habs need a new strategy. He like to float his shots in from the point which cause a lot of chances for rebounds and tips. The habs will need a couple bad asses to park themselves there for garbage goals. He was good at making sure the shot hit the net.

Chipchura; He is really good at faceoffs but i was not overly impressed with him. He is not physical enough for the 4th line. He seems pretty smart and reliable though. Maybe he is tired.

Ryder: He was ok, not great.

Smolinski: played a good game. Good solid player and he seems to well liked by the guys. He always seemed to be talking and smiling with the other players.

Lapierre: Good game. His roster spot is safe.

Cote: Played a decent game but has fallen on the depth chart. A decent call-up if needed.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

First of all, I would be pissed if I were a Bruins fan...they were awful. They were missing passes, not getting the puck out etc. They do not look like a good team.

S. Kostitsyn: Way better than I thought. This guy is better than Grabovsky. He is quite a little agitator also. On an icing call he nudged a Boston player into the net when chasing for the puck. He did get called for diving at one point though.

Higgins: If he was not in game shape then he will be dominant. He was great tonight.

Grabovsky: Fast and creatiive but not an NHL player just yet IMO. He is a decent replacement on a scoring line when needed. He needs to get stronger.

A. Kostitsyn: Not as dominant as we have seen from him. He was good but not great tonight.

O'Byrne: This guy loves to hit and he is great at it. He needs to make better decisions on when to hit as he caused an odd man rush which resulted in the 1st Boston goal because he missed his hit. He is pretty smart with the puck and I think he will beat out dandy for the final spot. He looks a bit lanky and if he fills out some more then he will be deadly.

Dandenault: This guy was terrible in the 1st period but got better as the night when on. He looks desperate...like he knows his job is on the line.

Komisarek: He wasn't his usual hitting self. Probably a bit tired...but still great. He is a definite leader...very vocal on the ice and in the warm-up.

Streit: Played very well and played a lot. He played 25 mins against Ottawa the night before so he must be exhausted...perhaps they are showcasing him, lol

Hamrlik: Very solid d-man. He is very patient with the puck...you can tell he is very confident. He is completely different from Souray. He is not very physical but always seems to be in the right position. If he is going to man the point on the PP then the Habs need a new strategy. He like to float his shots in from the point which cause a lot of chances for rebounds and tips. The habs will need a couple bad asses to park themselves there for garbage goals. He was good at making sure the shot hit the net.

Chipchura; He is really good at faceoffs but i was not overly impressed with him. He is not physical enough for the 4th line. He seems pretty smart and reliable though. Maybe he is tired.

Smolinski: played a good game. Good solid player and he seems to well liked by the guys. He always seemed to be talking and smiling with the other players.

Cote: Played a decent game but has fallen on the depth chart. A decent call-up if needed.

Great breakdown! :clap::clap::clap:

Man i hope you go to every habs game! lol :hlogo:

Great breakdown! :clap::clap::clap:

Man i hope you go to every habs game! lol :hlogo:

Mr.Nasty, How did Fernandez do? I mean I know you said that The Bruins sucked, but how did Fernandez do?

Thanks,

Shu :hlogo:

O.K after seeing the highlights I must jump on a Pleks bandwagon. All three goals were sweet. I didn't really see that from him before. Not that I didn't think he was good , but the crisp shots and little sniper fakes kind of caught me off gaurd just watching.

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree completely with you indepth analysis. Exactly how I saw it except for the Penalty shot by Higgins you didn't mention, good save by Fernandez. Also we were alittle sloppy at times coming out of our end, a few deadly give aways that we got lucky on. Especially late in the game.

Mr.Nasty, How did Fernandez do? I mean I know you said that The Bruins sucked, but how did Fernandez do?

Thanks,

Shu :hlogo:

Thanks for the kind words guys...there is nothing more that i would rather do than to see all the games live. Living in NS makes that a bit difficult though ^_^

As for Fernandez. At first he didn't look very good but he got better as the game went on. He should have had the Higgins goal and he misplayed a couple pucks behind the net. Not his best game but he did keep them in it.