Cédrick Desjardins

Defenceman:

Jon Gleed

Forwards:

Ajay Baines;

Corey Locke (must clear waivers);

Eric Manlow;

Gregory Stewart

Note Danis and Locke have to clear waivers. They'll probably both be picked up. I'm a little disappointed in losing Danis for nothing, but I guess he would have likely only brought a prospect back unless part of a package trade and we've got LOTS of prospects as is, so.....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What’s the formality explaining that these two need to clear waivers? This is bad news for us – if we loose Danis there is no way we can trade Halak as part of a package.

From Habs I/O, here are the first 8 cuts:

Goalies:

Yann Danis (must clear waivers);

Loïc Lacasse;

Cédrick Desjardins

Defenceman:

Jon Gleed

Forwards:

Ajay Baines;

Corey Locke (must clear waivers);

Eric Manlow;

Gregory Stewart

Note Danis and Locke have to clear waivers. They'll probably both be picked up. I'm a little disappointed in losing Danis for nothing, but I guess he would have likely only brought a prospect back unless part of a package trade and we've got LOTS of prospects as is, so.....

Edited by hupette gros

another 5 cut:

D:

Andrew Archer (must clear waivers)

Mathieu Biron (must clear waivers)

F:

Mathieu Aubin

Duncan Milroy (must clear waivers)

Ryan Russell

This could be it for Milroy... If Biron ends up anywhere else, I'm not heart broken. Not sure about Milroy... he showed a lot of promise last year, but is this it? Is Murray really a better "fighter"/agitator than Milroy? at least you could imagine that Milroy still had some upside we haven't yet seen...

Milroy & Locke were both invisible this camp, Murray showed a lot more than either of them. Milroy's not talented enough for a scoring role (at least there are plenty of players ahead of him in that sense) and not strong enough for a 4th line role. Last year was his first really good AHL year at age 24. Now I expect he'll be named captain of the Bulldogs and play out his final season in the organization.

Locke has one more chance, IMO. He'll still be at next year's camp.

Danis wasn't treated like crap, he was simply passed over. He was given a chance two years ago, but when he went back to the AHL he was merely good, not spectacular. Halak passed him and so did Price... both those two dominated in the AHL while Danis was merely "good" in the AHL.

There are 4 teams that might claim him IMO: Atlanta (Lehtonen injured in camp, though they do have Hedberg & Brathwaite), LA, Detroit (might want to carry a 3rd goalie with team like last year), and NYR. Honourable mentions to SJ & Nashville... though I think Greiss has won a shot at the backup gig in SJ. Not sure if Rinne or Ellis has won the job in Nashville, haven't followed that camp.

anybody we lose on waivers wont be really missed. younger players have showed more promises. it sucks but thats the way it is. its not like nay of these guy where even trade baits...

I don't understand why they didn't go with Huet and Danis for the Habs, Halak and Price with the Bulldogs. Then you trade Danis and bring Halak up in a month or so. What does that effect, like 3 games where Huet doesn't play?

If we do it this way, we just lose Danis and get nothing.

More cuts have been announced, looks like the habs have sent D'Agostini to the farm which is a fairly big surprise. Hard to argue that he was among the 12 best forwards this camp but I guess there just isn't a spot for him. Also cut were Lahti, Valentenko, Desharnais, S. Kotstitsyn, Manlow, Maxwell and White. It's a little disappointing to see Lathi get sent down. There were certainly high expectations of him when he was signed. Hopefully he will be able to use the time in the minors to adapt better to the North American game.

So by my calculations this is who is left vying for the remaining spots on the roster. Please correct me if Ive left someone on or off the list:

Goalies (3):

Carey Price

Jan Halak

Cristobal Huet

Forwards (16):

Maxim Lapierre

Guillaume Latendresse

Steve Begin

Francis Lemieux

Kyle Chipchura

Jonathan Ferland

Garth Murray

Tomas Plekanec

Mikhail Grabovski

Christopher Higgins

Michael Ryder

Saku Koivu

Bryan Smolinski

Andrei Kostitsyn

Tom Kostopoulos

Alex Kovalev

Defencemen (10):

Roman Hamrlik

Mike Komisarek

Francis Bouillon

Patrice Brisebois

Andrei Markov

Ryan O'Byrne

Jean-Philippe Cote

Mathieu Dendenault

Mark Streit

Josh Gorges

Arguably we will carry 2 goalies, 14 forwards and 7 defencemen or 13 forwards and 8 defencemen.

EDIT: Carle and Beauregard removed from the list (I will try to update this as I can during the day)

Obviously there are more cuts coming today, no way they carry to the end: Beauregard, Bonneau, Lemieux, Urquhart, Carle, & Degon at minimum. Bonneau, Degon & Urquhart still haven't been announced as cut, nhfarber.

Definitely will get down to 27 if guys like D'Agostini are getting cut today.

I dont think that danis has that much trade value.

If he had Gainey would have traded him instead of "waiving" him.

He's our #4. Moreover, Desjardins will probably be better that him at the same age (Desjardins is 3 years younger that Danis).

All these cuts were obvious.

At leat we know we have two young gunners D'Agostini and Little #### that are not much

far from NHL.

You know what it will be 8 defenseman because two can play forwards.

11 secure spots and we play

13 forwards next cut from 16 that are there 5 in the hot seat for three spot

Lemieux

Murray

Ferland

Chipchura

Grabovski.

How my good Murray gonna make the team unless there is a trade coming...

All these cuts were obvious.

At leat we know we have two young gunners D'Agostini and Little #### that are not much

far from NHL.

You know what it will be 8 defenseman because two can play forwards.

11 secure spots and we play

13 forwards next cut from 16 that are there 5 in the hot seat for three spot

Lemieux

Murray

Ferland

Chipchura

Grabovski.

How my good Murray gonna make the team unless there is a trade coming...

Just to consolidate. Courtesy of Habs I/O, Here is the total list of cuts, 29 in all:

Goalies:

Yann Danis (must clear waivers)

Loïc Lacasse

Cédrick Desjardins

Defencemen:

Andrew Archer (must clear waivers)

Mathieu Biron (must clear waivers)

Mathieu Carle

Jean-Philippe Côté (must clear waivers)

Marvin Degon

Jon Gleed

Jamie Rivers (must clear waivers)

Pavel Valentenko

Forwards:

Mathieu Aubin

Ajay Baines

Thomas Beauregard

Jimmy Bonneau

Matt D'Agostini

David Desharnais

Jonathan Ferland (must clear waivers)

Sergei Kostitsyn

Janne Lahti

Francis Lemieux

Corey Locke (must clear waivers)

Eric Manlow

Ben Maxwell (to junior)

Duncan Milroy (must clear waivers)

Ryan Russell

Gregory Stewart

Cory Urquhart (must clear waivers)

Ryan White (to junior)

Here is the list of players going to Mont Tremblant, 26 in all:

GOALIES: Jaroslav Halak, Cristobal Huet, Carey Price.

DEFENCEMEN: Francis Bouillon, Patrice Brisebois, Mathieu Dandenault, Josh Gorges, Roman Hamrlik, Mike Komisarek, Andrei Markov, Ryan O'Byrne, Mark Streit.

FORWARDS: Steve Bégin, Kyle Chipchura, Mikhail Grabovski, Christopher Higgins, Saku Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Tom Kostopoulos, Alex Kovalev, Maxim Lapierre, Guillaume Latendresse, Garth Murray, Tomas Plekanec, Michael Ryder, Bryan Smolinski.

I just can't stand that Garth Murray will spend another year in Montreal :wall:

He was an effective role player in 2005-06, ineffective last year. This is his year to show us which guy he is. He outplayed a lot of guys in the pre-season, enough to keep around for at least the final week of camp.

Good for him. But he hasn't made it all the way back yet.

So I guess it's pretty much over for Ferland and Côté in Montréal, eh? I think that year was pretty much their last chance to get it done... And too bad for Kost Jr, I really tought he had a chance to stay.. o well, like Latendresse he'll make the team on his 2nd try.

yeah, I'm having a hard time with that one too...

Its not just garth that I am upset about...The habs need to replace Begin too. Sorry to say, but Lapierre basically is an upgrade on Begin as well. So by that logic, Lapierre should replace Begin and Milroy should take Murray's spot. Our third and fourth line should be:

Kostopolous - Smolinski - Lats

Lapierre - Chips - Milroy

Murray can easily be waived or bought out. I think we could probably package Begin, although his 1 mil salary would be hard to swallow for his limited upside. I really have nothing against Begin, but guys like him will never be more than fourth line. I think the fourth line should be an 'NHL tryout' line for up and coming youngsters. It would also help teach them defensive responsibility. Enough of this 'grinder line' full of career fourth liners. Look at buffalo! They can literally threaten with all four lines. We wont achieve that with Murray and Begin anchoring our fourth line.

Seems like it was much ado about nothing over Lahti.

As for the rest, nothing too surprising.

For opening day I expect that Price will be returning to the AHL.

Might see a trade on D, if the coaches figure O'Byrne can play top-six minutes.

I think the habs are keeping murray because they need some grit and fighting to let other teams know that taking liberty with saku is not an option.

Plus Murray anit going to develope anymore in the AHL so you may as well let him be a healthy scratch and let the kids develope in the AHL.

I really really wanted D'Agostini to make the cut but maybe next year.

As for lil ####, i would have liked him to play, but he can develope and become a sniper with AK46 next year.

I think price should make the team.... next year.

I really hope BG makes a deal before 07-08 starts.

BTW how many cuts do u think will be made today?

Edited by MMPL

So I guess it's pretty much over for Ferland and Côté in Montréal, eh? I think that year was pretty much their last chance to get it done... And too bad for Kost Jr, I really tought he had a chance to stay.. o well, like Latendresse he'll make the team on his 2nd try.

I'd say it is over for those two, but you never know. Basically they have this year to impress, get a lucky break with a call-up and that's it.

I'd definitely say that's it for Milroy, though. He brings little to the table that D'Agostini doesn't provide, and D'Ago can pretty much do everything better than him already and is 4 years younger.