Steve Downie's Hit on Dean McAmmond

MMPL

suspending him his moot since all the flyers have to do is put him on the roster for the time being and then send him down to....philadelphia :huh:

I'm sure his coach told him to keep on doing it but just lower your temper just a little bit.

I personally think that their is no place for this in the NHL, but under the current rules I don't see what merits a 15 game suspension.

The NHL should take action against thuggery, including allowing professional fighters to go around breaking people's faces ... like that Larroque did this training camp.

Oh please, goons are fine, both players dropped there gloves and one guy was tougher then the other. How did i know this would turn to an anti fighting thread.

Downie was a cheap shot and he left his feet. 15 games is about right. Plus McGratton will but a beating on him when they play next.

If you don't like fighting, watch figure skating.

Oh please, goons are fine, both players dropped there gloves and one guy was tougher then the other. How did i know this would turn to an anti fighting thread.

Downie was a cheap shot and he left his feet. 15 games is about right. Plus McGratton will but a beating on him when they play next.

If you don't like fighting, watch figure skating.

if mcgrattan had any brains left, he wouldn't do too much on downie. he did vow for revenge on tv...thats not what a bright person would do.

I see this hit as very similar to the hit on Drury (or was it Briere?) last year. Both cases of guys getting nailed shortly after getting rid of the puck. If a guy doesn't have the puck, you should try your best to avoid it. Sometimes you're already in the process and can't stop. But in both these cases, the guys easily could have avoided the cheap shot after the guy got rid of the puck.

suspending him his moot since all the flyers have to do is put him on the roster for the time being and then send him down to....philadelphia :huh:

I'm sure his coach told him to keep on doing it but just lower your temper just a little bit.

I don't know if it's official policy or not, but in the past, the AHL has honoured suspensions imposed by the NHL. I don't know if the league has ever prevented a player from being demoted because of a suspension that could be handed down by the Commissioner's Office.

Downie's a small guy ... he has to jump to deliver a similar impact to Pronger, who got 1 game for headhunting last year.

Basically, if the NHL doesn't take a legitimate and official stance on this issue, it will continue.

@ Chris: About figure skating, why don't you just get your fighting fix watching the UFC or K-1? Or are you all about hybridization? Well, what if I like hard-core sex ... should we integrate that in to hockey, and instead of brawls we could have all out orgies? For my taste, of course, we could only have male vs female teams ... except for the goalies who could only be female ... because a little girl on girl goalie action would be so HOT.

Anyway, please use better logic in responding to me in future. Try an argument instead of this knee-jerk reactionism.

Dirty hit from a player with a bad reputation. Just search for "Steve Downie" on YouTube. Mind you, he is a guy you'd love to have on your team.

just type downie vs s kostitsyn :clap:

sk totally nailed him...pure gold !!!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219415&hubname=

Downie will miss the first 20 regular season and/or playoff games (in addition to the last Flyers' pre-season game - Saturday vs. NY Rangers) that he is a member of the Flyers' 23-man roster. If Downie's 20 games are all served in the regular season, he would be eligible to return to the Flyers on November 23 for a game at home vs. the Capitals. The following day, they face the Senators in Ottawa.

:D

The NHL copped out and it was an easy chance for them to "make an example" out of a player that has never even played an NHL game. If this was a proven NHL player I think that get at least half of that # of games.

Also by TSN hyping it up for 3 or 4 days and the fact that it happened in Canada made a huge difference. I absolutely garantee 100% that if this happens in Phoniex in front of 400 or 500 fans ....no media coverage he might get 1 game at most.

I hate that there is a huge double standard in the league.

The NHL copped out and it was an easy chance for them to "make an example" out of a player that has never even played an NHL game. If this was a proven NHL player I think that get at least half of that # of games.

Also by TSN hyping it up for 3 or 4 days and the fact that it happened in Canada made a huge difference. I absolutely garantee 100% that if this happens in Phoniex in front of 400 or 500 fans ....no media coverage he might get 1 game at most.

I hate that there is a huge double standard in the league.

Theres a double standard because you're making one on your own. After the way they handled Pronger in the playoffs, the league went under a lot of scrutiny in the offseason for lax suspensions. Give it half a season before you start whining, this could finally be the time when the NHL really dishes it out to offending players the same way the NFL has just started cracking down on their own league.