• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many like to point out Souray as -28, but forget this:

Koivu -21.

Ryder -25

Lats - 20

The team sucked last year and it was not all Sourays fault.

Hammer was plus last year, but so was 70 percent of Calgary and he was not even their leader in plus minus! Different team, different system.

Doesn't anynone blame Carbo for the career low in plus minus that many Habs had last year?

Well considering that Souray has been a minus in 5 of the last 7 years and is a -51. I don't see the point.

Koivu is a -18 in the last 5 years, but almost all of that is from last season.

Latendresse was a rookie and nobody every confused Ryder with a hard working defensively responsible forward.

Souray donates jocks to opposing forwards quite regularly. That will not change. He had a big accurate shot and can fight.

But he is a terrible defenseman in his own zone.

Enjoy Edmonton

Well considering that Souray has been a minus in 5 of the last 7 years and is a -51. I don't see the point.

Koivu is a -18 in the last 5 years, but almost all of that is from last season.

Latendresse was a rookie and nobody every confused Ryder with a hard working defensively responsible forward.

Souray donates jocks to opposing forwards quite regularly. That will not change. He had a big accurate shot and can fight.

But he is a terrible defenseman in his own zone.

Enjoy Edmonton

Souray has had 8 years in the league. He was a plus player 3 times, a minus 5 times. Take out last year and he averages out at minus 3. It was definitely an outlier, statistically.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think he is a defensive defenseman, nor should he be playing 25 minutes a night, unless he has a great stay at home partner.

That said, if Souray was minus 5 with 20 goals, plus was so feared on the PP that he made room for the forwards, would you not want him on your team? Seriously, Souray wasn't much worse then the rest of them last year. Remember he was on the ice almost half the game with one of the worse plus minus teams in the league. He certainly contibuted to the woes, but he was not the only one by any stretch.

I would have prefered we kept him and tossed boo boo, Dandy, and Brisbois. :)

Oh for the record, check out Hammer's career stats versus Souray's. Over their careers, Hammer is much worse. He is minus 71. He has a minus 29 year. In fact, he was in he minus 20s four times! Seems he only became a great defenseman when he played on Calgary.. the most defensive team in the league.. hmmmm

Edited by brobin

Souray has had 8 years in the league. He was a plus player 3 times, a minus 5 times. Take out last year and he averages out at minus 3. It was definitely an outlier, statistically.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think he is a defensive defenseman, nor should he be playing 25 minutes a night, unless he has a great stay at home partner.

That said, if Souray was minus 5 with 20 goals, plus was so feared on the PP that he made room for the forwards, would you not want him on your team? Seriously, Souray wasn't much worse then the rest of them last year. Remember he was on the ice almost half the game with one of the worse plus minus teams in the league. He certainly contibuted to the woes, but he was not the only one by any stretch.

I would have prefered we kept him and tossed boo boo, Dandy, and Brisbois. :)

I am evaluating him as a habs because that is all I can fairly compare him to the other players listed. His years with the Devils

cannot be used as comparables with the 3 players listed because they were not in the same enviroment.

I am glad he is gone. THe Habs proved last year that even with really strong special teams that a lack of production 5 on 5 will leave

you out of the playoff picture. How many teams who really excel at 5 on 5 miss the playoffs. My guess would be not many.

Final

Habs 3 Bruins 2 :)

Great GAME!!! Hopefully we will have that kind of game vs Sens.

BTWis it official that Huet's getting the start vs Sens?

Did Kostopoulis win his fight?

fireworks4.gif

MonBosFinal.jpg

Nicely done spidey.

I am evaluating him as a habs because that is all I can fairly compare him to the other players listed. His years with the Devils

cannot be used as comparables with the 3 players listed because they were not in the same enviroment.

I am glad he is gone. THe Habs proved last year that even with really strong special teams that a lack of production 5 on 5 will leave

you out of the playoff picture. How many teams who really excel at 5 on 5 miss the playoffs. My guess would be not many.

Final

Habs 3 Bruins 2 :)

I don't disagree, but keep in mind that when Hammer was on a team like ours, he was as bad as Souray. His positive number come from playing with Calgary. So...

I would not be surprised to see Hammer's plus minus drop signficantly this year. He is not on Calgary anymore. :) So if it does, and he doesn't light the lamp like Souray......

If we want to get better 5 on 5, we need to fix the system. Swapping a defenseman is not going to fix the problem, imo.

I agree, Hammer is great but in my opinion, isn't as goood as sheldon.

I agree his better defense skills doesn't compensate for Souray's great offensive skills. And I don't think the same level of leadership will come from Hamrlik.

I don't disagree, but keep in mind that when Hammer was on a team like ours, he was as bad as Souray. His positive number come from playing with Calgary. So...

I would not be surprised to see Hammer's plus minus drop signficantly this year. He is not on Calgary anymore. :) So if it does, and he doesn't light the lamp like Souray......

If we want to get better 5 on 5, we need to fix the system. Swapping a defenseman is not going to fix the problem, imo.

We can all manipulate stats to say whatever we want. And I will do that right now. :lol:

The bulk of Hamrlik's brutal +/- came from being on an expansion team. He has had 1 minus season in the last 9 years.

THe late 90s Oilers and early 2000 Islanders were not exactly defensive minded teams and he excelled.

Hamrlik is very responsible in his own zone and has puck moving ability that Sheldon does not possess.

Team defense is always the key, but Roman fits the system that Carbo/Gainey want to implement more than Souray.

Last season the D coughed up the puck repeatedly and was vulnerable to a hard forecheck. This season with Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, Streit they have doubled the amount of d-men who can make a smart outlet pass and not a panic flip off the boards.

I will not miss Souray and his 1 dimensional game at all. Everybody is replaceable, it just means that the PP will have a different look this season.

Plus, last season was a record setting season, I doubt he will repeat his 11 goal improvement on his career best.

Edited by Wamsley01

Let Souray go out and be Mr. Oilers. I could care less. When you get right down to it, this is similar to Smyth leaving Edmonton over 800K. Smitty has more stock than Souray regardless of position. So who do we blame? Gainey insulted Souray with lowball money but the 5.5 million over 4 was a huge commitment to Souray. Souray left and if you ask me, the person I do not blame is Gainey!!!

For all of you Hamrlik doubters out there, I can almost (wish I had the Messier power to predict victory) almost say that Hamrlik will prove to be a 2nd rate darling on the back end. We know and have seen what he can do. Don't be fooled by preseason either. The Hammer has always had an attitude of being a self preserved player in preseason. The injury proves it.

PS. To all of those that are worried about his paycheque versus his injury history; it's off the books if he goes out.

Good job Gainey

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I loved Souray, but this is getting to be like the endlessly recycled Ribeiro debates. He's gone, Hamrlik is here, and Hamrlik is good - let's move forward! :hlogo:

Seriously, it all boils down to team performance, and if this team does even moderately better than last year's, the Habs will be in the dance and we'll all be happy as clams, regardless of whatever Souray is doing in the tar sands.

ah! Excellant...

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO!

I loved Souray, but this is getting to be like the endlessly recycled Ribeiro debates. He's gone, Hamrlik is here, and Hamrlik is good - let's move forward! :hlogo:

Seriously, it all boils down to team performance, and if this team does even moderately better than last year's, the Habs will be in the dance and we'll all be happy as clams, regardless of whatever Souray is doing in the tar sands.

I am glad both are gone. I don't care what they do with their new teams.

Media like RDS are pushing O'byrne away and pulling Dandenault in.

On the first goal, it was a penalty of O'byrne for roughing, i have no problem with that.

Giving pain to opponent is a good penalty.

On this PK both Bouillon-Danednault were on the ice. Danedeanult got a holding penalty

Boston added a sixth player and Bouillon and Dandenault were looking like headless chicken.

Dandenault was again on the play for the last goal, right in front of his goalie to make sure Huet doesn't see

the puck.

For that no word on media.

For a speedy winger passing throught O'byrne, we see that in every newspaper crap.

So unfortunately will see no longer O'byrne and less physical play.

Kostopoulos played is best game yet, nota good one but at least he seems to be taking his place

i was and i am still suspicious why did Bob signed this guy. Time will tell.

Media like RDS are pushing O'byrne away and pulling Dandenault in.

On the first goal, it was a penalty of O'byrne for roughing, i have no problem with that.

Giving pain to opponent is a good penalty.

On this PK both Bouillon-Danednault were on the ice. Danedeanult got a holding penalty

Boston added a sixth player and Bouillon and Dandenault were looking like headless chicken.

Dandenault was again on the play for the last goal, right in front of his goalie to make sure Huet doesn't see

the puck.

For that no word on media.

For a speedy winger passing throught O'byrne, we see that in every newspaper crap.

So unfortunately will see no longer O'byrne and less physical play.

Kostopoulos played is best game yet, nota good one but at least he seems to be taking his place

i was and i am still suspicious why did Bob signed this guy. Time will tell.

Since when has the Gainey regime been accused of letting the French media dictate its personnel decisions?

If O'Byrne doesn't play, it won't be because of those media arseholes. Don't worry about it.