The Final Cuts

mathieu30

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Euhm, breaking news?

Carey Price will start the season in Montréal!

source ??

geez I was on rds a minute ago

O'Byrne and Halak I can understand

But Lapierre.. WHY? Why keep Murray over him?

even though there was some buzz, I am really surprised that lapierre was cut in favour of Lapierre.

In the end I think I like keeping Price. It gives him a fair opportunity to take away Huet's spot. Even if not, I think 30 NHL games will give Price more valuable experience than 55 AHL games.

I would not be surprised to see O'Byrne get a callup within 6 weeks.

Edited by simonus

Poor Halak.

I understand that Gainey needs Price to gain some real NHL experience before he lets Huet go at the end of the season but I feel bad for Halak.

O' Byrne must be a little bit pissed as well. Hopefully We trade a couple of Dmen to make room for him during the season.

I am happy that Chipchura and Grabovski made the team!

even though there was some buzz, I am really surprised that lapierre was cut in favour of Lapierre.

:ninja:

O'Byrne and Halak I can understand

But Lapierre.. WHY? Why keep Murray over him?

I think carbonneau had an issue with his attitude.

I'm glad to see our drafting system working with our 1st rounders from 01 to 05 in the lineup.

I 'm glad to see price stick with the team. I hope he plays against florida since I'll be there !!

anyways, this will be a year of transition for the canadiens. many of the vets we'll see on wednesday won't be there at te end of the season so lets not panic with the cuts.

with the addition of chips and grabs and the loss of lapierre, will it be smolinski or grabs moving to wing? Was grabovski used as a winger at any point during the pre-season?

Carbonneau is going to be more offensive this year that is for sure and that is a very good sign.

I agree. I think keeping Grabovski is a good sign of the philosophical bent for this season.

with the addition of chips and grabs and the loss of lapierre, will it be smolinski or grabs moving to wing? Was grabovski used as a winger at any point during the pre-season?

I agree. I think keeping Grabovski is a good sign of the philosophical bent for this season.

Well I think Grabs will centre Kovalev and Kostitsyn.

Plekanec and Smoke will be on the 3rd line and since they are a Left and Right handed shot they will swap the centre role.

I'm glad that Lapierre got sent down. He didn't have an inspired camp and he'll have to work to get back up. Everyone knows that he'll be back up at some point, but he's got to get his head around the fact that he has to work for it! Kind of like Begin having a lowered intensity after the great season he had a couple of years ago.

I also feel bad for Halak, but i think it's okay long term and he probably understands that. at the end of the day, both Price and Halak could benefit from playing time both in the minors and in the majors, so it was a bit of a toss up who would go down from the end of their continued development. By the end of the season, or next season, Price and Halak will both be with the big club (Huet wouldn't sign back here to be Price's back up, so you can say bye to him soon) and that's what really matters.

Also, I liked O'byrne, but from a practical perspective, he was the only D we wouldn't lose for nothing by sending him down. He could still learn more in the AHL even though he played great in the preseason, and I REALLY really hope that one or both of Dandy and Bouillon are gone before long and that time goes to Gorges and O'byrne...

SOOOOO so happy that Grabs and Chips are staying with the team. Grabs because it shows we're trying to play with more offense as JMMR mentioned, Chips because he really is a Carbo/BG protege and shows SOOOOOOO much character and leadership promise, etc.

Agree that Lappy would have been better to keep than Murray, but if he was developing an attitude, then he'll learn to lose that by having to go back and work his way back up and hopefully it'll only make him hungrier. As BG said, all those prospects (including Lappy) are only a phone call away. Murray can and will ride the pine, and he's expendable to be waived the second we think someone's ready to get real minutes in the league, but if Lappy wasn't gonna play at all if stayed with the big team, isn't it better for him to go down and play lots of minutes and be a leader in hamilton and work like crazy every night than stay up with the big team and eat hot dogs in the press box?

I think the final shape of the team IS consistent with the plan of moving the depth and the prospects we've been going on and on about into the big system. that's 3 rookies who made the team out of training camp, and another one (Kosty) from last year... all who will hopefully play a significant part and get real playing time and real experience. Then we've got the players who are just starting their third year who we consider "vets" or "young leaders" like Plex and Higgy, and a guy like Streit, who though older, has only been in the NHL for a couple of years and has shown DRASTIC improvement in that time, and Gorges, who's had a really strong preseason and is only just now learning the Habs system, and then we've got Komi, Ryder (who'll probably be gone next year, but still), and Lats and you have to admit that the team's identity really is changing. I like this line up, with it's potential for upside, a lot more than last years'.

Just think where we'll be in a couple of more years with these guys having more experience, and Guys like Valentenko, McDonagh, etc. in the lineup...

5 first rounders in a row are now on the team WOW.

The '03 class took a real hit today. Not that those 3 are forgotten, just they got jumped by players taken after them ('04 and '05 drafts).

Probably not coincidentally, '04 was Gainey's first draft ('03 was still Savard's).

Edited by saskhab

The '03 class took a real hit today. Not that those 3 are forgotten, just they got jumped by players taken after them ('04 and '05 drafts).

Probably not coincidentally, '04 was Gainey's first draft ('03 was still Savard's).

interesting. Which three? (I'm too lazy to look it up)

I am sooooo disappointed.....Halak, Lapierre, and O'Byrne should have made the team....but at the same time I can see why O'Byrne and Lapierre never made it....both are big, tough, gritty players and there is no place for guys like that on the Habs.....sad but true.

I am sooooo disappointed.....Halak, Lapierre, and O'Byrne should have made the team....but at the same time I can see why O'Byrne and Lapierre never made it....both are big, tough, gritty players and there is no place for guys like that on the Habs.....sad but true.

I wouldn't be so down, Spider-Man.

IMO, BG just has O'Byrne stashed in the minors until one of the D-men play themselves out of the corps or he can get a decent trade.

It sounds like Lapierre was sent down so as to relight his fire. As I have stated before, I think they both will be back relatively soon.

Although I love Lapierre, he had to regain the "hunger" to be in the NHL. He should have been breathing down Smolinski's neck; not competing with Chipchura and Grabovski.

O'Byrne is ahead of schedule already, so a little more NHL time won't hurt him.

Only problem I have is Price & Halak. Even Carbo wasn't keen on having Price as a second-stringer. I get the feeling sometimes that Gainey is trying to justify picking Price over guys already in the NHL like Brule and Kopitar.

However, just like with Lapierre, Halak gave the impression of "resting on his laurels". Halak should have been pushing Huet; not fending off Price.

This is the reason why I love having so many quality prospects. Habs staff can rely on inner competition to force the kids to take the next step AND to force the vets to maintain consistency.

Not being able to take your roster spot for granted is one of the best motivation ever.

No place lfor guys like that on the Habs? I'm not sure what that means? This team now is a little too soft, IMO. i would have kept Lapierre. You may be right Spider Man but the last 10 years this team has been very small and soft and they haven't went anywhere, and often can't compete with bigger teams.

I think contracts is why O'Byrne didn't make it. From what posters and reports i have read Gorges, Streit and O'Byrne have all outplayed Bouillon and Dandy.

This will be really good for Halak, IMO. He will be the starter in Hamilton and will be forced to prove that he deserves to be in the NHL. He now recognizes the depth this team has. He's adapted really well in the face of getting sent down before, in the ECHL and as Danis' backup. Keep it up, Jaro!

Many feel sorry for Halak. DON'T! This is a sure sign to develop Price into a starter and trade Huet by the deadline. We all know Halak can play, Price is our future........so as soon as we trade Huet, Halak will be with the team and let's not even talk about possible injury. Our future one two punch is Price and Halak. Jaraslov "Bunny" Halak!!!!!!!!!

Laps......Yup bad atitude I'm sure. Seems like he's being a little "Riberio" on us, too cool for school. OR, maybe he was simply outplayed in his position. He should have dropped the gloves atleast once. No worries, he'll be back. We have all seen him when he's intense.

I'm surprised about Grabs. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a great player, I just didn't really see it happening yet.

Maybe Halak, Laps and ? are going to be traded soon. We shall see. I like our team so far , can't wait for Wednesday.