The Final Cuts

mathieu30

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed who the Leafs have sent back to the marlies through waviers, Simon Gamache (which I hear, from a leafs fan friend of mine, had a great camp), Jay Harrison (he impressed me last year when he was called up to fill in duing injuries), and Ben Ondrus (same as Harrison).

I would think that these three players are very high on the the leafs depth chart (not saying much I know). For me it is worth claiming one of these guys just to really piss some leaf fans off. Remember how upset some of us were when Hainsey was claimed by the Jackets, Harrison is better that Hainsey for his age, and Gamache would be good for Hamilton if nothing else.

I pretty much just want to the see the leafs lose whatever prospects they have.......man I hate living in leaf country (Niagara)...man I hate the leafs.

Go Habs Go :hlogo:

Edited by Davehab

What makes you think that?

Last year:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder = offensive

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn = offensive

Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson = two-way but more defensive

Begin-Lapierre-Kovalev = mix of everything

This year:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder = Offensive

Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kovalev = very offensive

Latendresse-Plekanec-Smolinski = two-way but more offensive

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos = defensive/ grinding

Last year:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder = offensive

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn = offensive

Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson = two-way but more defensive

Begin-Lapierre-Kovalev = mix of everything

This year:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder = Offensive

Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kovalev = very offensive

Latendresse-Plekanec-Smolinski = two-way but more offensive

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos = defensive/ grinding

I am not worried about scoring goals. I am concerned about keeping them out of the net.

All the Habs success in the past has begun on the back end. From the 50s to the early 90s.

Even the 70s offensive juggernaut lead the league in D every year.

Although that lineup looks alot better than last year.

Personally I think Lapierre was sent down solely because of the Ruskies. :lol:

Remember all the hoopla last year of Carbo unfairly giving preference to French players? It seems to me that Carbo is killing any such animosity from the get go by keeping Ex Soviet Grabovski over last years French preference. To me that sends a message. Also the whole Kovalev factor. Realistically Kovalev hasnt played as great as he is capable of while playing with Koivu, Higgins/Ryder. I'm thinking they want to try him with a different C. Pleks is basically totally ruled out because of how well he gelled with Higgins and Kostitsyn late last year. That line better be kept together this year, its was the ultimate gem of last season watching those 3.

Unfortunately I vehemently disagree with keeping Price in the NHL at this point. :angry: I just dont see why its a good idea. I'm not worried about him not being able to handle it, or rushing him, the usual experice blah blah, etc. My concern is giving the opposition too much exposure to Price. Dont forget Price is suposed to be 1 of the best goalies drafted in recent years, ranked way higher than Cam Ward. Ward has already wont the Cup though. Why? Ward had only played 5 games in NHL before Carolina put him up against the Habs in the playoffs. Who in the Habs organization knew where to shoot on Ward? Who in the entire NHL knew anything aboot Ward? Nobody. After playing Price for 30 games throughout this season, who wont know where to shoot on Price? :unsure:

Price is an Ace in the hole for the Habs. However it's no longer an Ace in the hole when you put it in plain sight. I definitely think it would be better to keep Price hidden until desperately needed, like 1st round of the playoffs, game 3 if Huet lets in 12 goals in the first 2 games. :P

Remember all the hoopla last year of Carbo unfairly giving preference to French players? It seems to me that Carbo is killing any such animosity from the get go by keeping Ex Soviet Grabovski over last years French preference. To me that sends a message. Also the whole Kovalev factor. Realistically Kovalev hasnt played as great as he is capable of while playing with Koivu, Higgins/Ryder. I'm thinking they want to try him with a different C. Pleks is basically totally ruled out because of how well he gelled with Higgins and Kostitsyn late last year. That line better be kept together this year, its was the ultimate gem of last season watching those 3.

Unfortunately I vehemently disagree with keeping Price in the NHL at this point. :angry: I just dont see why its a good idea. I'm not worried about him not being able to handle it, or rushing him, the usual experice blah blah, etc. My concern is giving the opposition too much exposure to Price. Dont forget Price is suposed to be 1 of the best goalies drafted in recent years, ranked way higher than Cam Ward. Ward has already wont the Cup though. Why? Ward had only played 5 games in NHL before Carolina put him up against the Habs in the playoffs. Who in the Habs organization knew where to shoot on Ward? Who in the entire NHL knew anything aboot Ward? Nobody. After playing Price for 30 games throughout this season, who wont know where to shoot on Price? :unsure:

Price is an Ace in the hole for the Habs. However it's no longer an Ace in the hole when you put it in plain sight. I definitely think it would be better to keep Price hidden until desperately needed, like 1st round of the playoffs, game 3 if Huet lets in 12 goals in the first 2 games. :P

I am actually v. happy that Grabovsky and Chipchura are with the big team. I not angry that Price is in Montreal; however, to me it would have made more sense to keep Halak in the show. However, this must have been the plan since before last year's Calder Cup. I guess the plan must be to trade Huet ASPP(as soon as price proves himself). I just hope that the plan doesnt backfire.

I have faith in Bob and Co. They have a plan and they are not afraid to make controversial decisions.

Just as a note: The NHL teams do have scouting reports on AHL players and know where to shoot on young goalies. There are no players flying under the radar of scouts by playing in the "A", or any other pro or semi pro league. That is why teams have scouts.

So will Price get a new paint job on his mask, now that he is with the bigs? his old one looks way too last-year Washington.

Garon 30 on the case?

Well, it is a mask for the Tri-City Americans, who are partly owned by Olaf Kolzig.

Guess he was waiting to see if he should get a Bulldog on his mask or not. I'm sure there's a new one on the way.

Don't you think that by 1993 the NHL 'had the book' on Patrick Roy?

So much for the book.

If Price is destined to be as great as the experts expect, then he will dominate for a long time, book' or no book. So I don't buy the 'ace in the hole' argument.

Price is here because they feel he's NHL-ready, and because Gainey wants him to be thoroughly tested by the time he has to settle the matter of Huet's contractual status. Excellent reasons both.

(Unlike many, though, I don't rule out the idea of keeping Huet around for another couple of seasons. Note that Patrick Roy split the duties with very competent G Doug Soetart and Brian Hayward for the first few seasons of his NHL career. There's something to be said for a 40/40 split between our young buck and a more seasoned pro. If the dollars can be made to work, this might be a good plan).

Don't you think that by 1993 the NHL 'had the book' on Patrick Roy?

So much for the book.

If Price is destined to be as great as the experts expect, then he will dominate for a long time, book' or no book. So I don't buy the 'ace in the hole' argument.

Price is here because they feel he's NHL-ready, and because Gainey wants him to be thoroughly tested by the time he has to settle the matter of Huet's contractual status. Excellent reasons both.

(Unlike many, though, I don't rule out the idea of keeping Huet around for another couple of seasons. Note that Patrick Roy split the duties with very competent G Doug Soetart and Brian Hayward for the first few seasons of his NHL career. There's something to be said for a 40/40 split between our young buck and a more seasoned pro. If the dollars can be made to work, this might be a good plan).

Everybody seems to forget how badly Roy struggled in 87 and 88. He still had his brilliant games but he was very inconsistent.

Hayward had better numbers in 87 and comparable ones in 88. They were essentially equals at that point and both were needed to retain the level of success that the Habs enjoyed. They won the Jennings trophies together and Hayward received the bulk of the load in the 87 playoff run to the Conference Finals. In the one game that Roy started against Philly in 87 he stunk the joint out.

Theodore also benefited from having Hackett as his 1B. It took Theo 2 seasons to get over his inconsistent ways.

I fully endorse retaining Huet as long as it is a reasonable cost. I am hoping for a 50/30 split this season with that number increasing as Price proves himself.

I like Halak, but if I hear somebody mention his name in the same sentence as Hasek and Vokoun because he is from the same region (Czech/Slovak) I am going to be sick. It is simplistic thinking, just like the Leaf fans who assume that Toskala is the next Kipprusoff because he is Finish and he was a backup on San Jose. Nonsense.

Problem with the keeping Huet around theory is that if Huet plays like he can this year, he's due for upwards of $5m a year. He's better than Toskala ($4m per), Gerber ($3.7m per), and Fernandez ($4.5m per). He's actually underpaid at his current salary of $2.875m if you look at the market.

Kipper is also a potential UFA goalie next summer, but Huet is 2nd on the list and after that it's a huge drop off, especially since Kolzig isn't going anywhere.

Problem with the keeping Huet around theory is that if Huet plays like he can this year, he's due for upwards of $5m a year. He's better than Toskala ($4m per), Gerber ($3.7m per), and Fernandez ($4.5m per). He's actually underpaid at his current salary of $2.875m if you look at the market.

Kipper is also a potential UFA goalie next summer, but Huet is 2nd on the list and after that it's a huge drop off, especially since Kolzig isn't going anywhere.

Like I said reasonable cost

I really don't think Huet wants to play anywhere other than here. I could see him giving us a discount. I don't think Halak will benefit from playing that season in the AHL though.

I really don't think Huet wants to play anywhere other than here. I could see him giving us a discount. I don't think Halak will benefit from playing that season in the AHL though.

Halak probably will not, but would you rather stunt Price's or Halak's development?

Halak looked good last season but also was inconsistent. Did we overrate him because we wanted

somebody to save us from Aebischer? He could turn into a starter in the NHL, but he could also be

Yann Danis #2. Everybody loved Danis 2 years ago as well.

Price has risen to the best at each level so far, Halak is a year removed from the East Coast League.

If Halak wants his chance to shine, he is going to have to TAKE IT, he did not in the preseason.

It is all up to him. He has to prove we can get rid of Huet.

Edited by Wamsley01

The plan is to not hurt either of their developments. If all they want is someone to backup Price once Huet goes, we can trade Halak after next season and develop a guy like Desjardins or Loverock (or even use Danis, but I doubt he's still around) to become a decent NHL back-up - or we could just sign a cheap UFA back-up. The goal is to not have to choose which of our players we want to develop and which ones we throw away - we want all our guys to do well and then trade away the victims of the numbers game for other guys we can use.

I like Halak, but if I hear somebody mention his name in the same sentence as Hasek and Vokoun because he is from the same region (Czech/Slovak) I am going to be sick. It is simplistic thinking, just like the Leaf fans who assume that Toskala is the next Kipprusoff because he is Finish and he was a backup on San Jose. Nonsense.

Hasek was backup to Belfour and blossomed after getting traded. Vokoun never even got a chance in Montreal and blossomed after being picked up by Nashville. I think that's what people are scared of happing to Halak. Dont think it has much to do with his origins; except perhaps that foreign goalies seems to start with a bigger burden of proof than local kids.