The Final Cuts

mathieu30

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No place lfor guys like that on the Habs? I'm not sure what that means? This team now is a little too soft, IMO. i would have kept Lapierre. You may be right Spider Man but the last 10 years this team has been very small and soft and they haven't went anywhere, and often can't compete with bigger teams.

I think contracts is why O'Byrne didn't make it. From what posters and reports i have read Gorges, Streit and O'Byrne have all outplayed Bouillon and Dandy.

that is exactly what I mean....we are way to soft....players that can play a tough nosed, in your face type of game don't seemed to be welcome on the Habs.....the team needs an enforcer in the worst possable way but Gainey refuses to get one.......we've lost a lot of grit over the past 3-4 season...Souray, Rivet, and Langdon are just a few names that comes to mind.

Grabs I find unusual because he simply didn't produce in pre-season. He seemed like a big tease. It seems more like an experiment that Carbo wants to see more of at least to start, but I could see Lapierre coming right back up and taking his spot in the top 12 if Grabs doesn't start producing.

Really, the Grabs move seems to be another step in the "let's get Kovalev going" saga from last year moreso than him outplaying Lapierre.

O'Byrne I don't read too much into other than they're giving Breezy a job instead. One of Hamrlik or Breezy will be injured significantly by November anyways.

Price over Halak isn't a complete negative for Halak. Halak's never been a backup really... he's always pushed the starter out. Now he starts as a starter for once. It's a different pressure for him. It's not like Halak has been on the team's radar for long, either. He skyrocketed up the chart so exhibiting a bit of restraint to him might be a welcome change. Both he and Price have played very few AHL games in reality, BTW.

I think contracts is why O'Byrne didn't make it. From what posters and reports i have read Gorges, Streit and O'Byrne have all outplayed Bouillon and Dandy.

Very correct Frank and Mathieu have sucked as usual.

well Komisarek and Higgins definitely play hard nosed, as do Begin and Bouillon. BG has added grit with kostopoulos and the lambasted murray/hossa trade was definitely a +grit move. I'd also argue that the Johnson/Zednik flip was a +grit move, as was the Smolinski over Bonk signing. "Soft" guys like Ribeiro and Perreault have been disposed of as well.

On an other topic, I would like to point out that our goaltending tandem looks a hell of a lot better than the start of last year.

Well I think Grabs will centre Kovalev and Kostitsyn.

Plekanec and Smoke will be on the 3rd line and since they are a Left and Right handed shot they will swap the centre role.

I wasn't sure if I should assume Grabs was on the second scoring line. I wonder how long that configuration will last if we don't see some production early in the season. It will be interesting to see whether Grabs will be tried on a lower line or sent down if he is inadequate at the 2nd line job. Hopefully we will not have to find out.

well Komisarek and Higgins definitely play hard nosed, as do Begin and Bouillon. BG has added grit with kostopoulos and the lambasted murray/hossa trade was definitely a +grit move. I'd also argue that the Johnson/Zednik flip was a +grit move, as was the Smolinski over Bonk signing. "Soft" guys like Ribeiro and Perreault have been disposed of as well.

On an other topic, I would like to point out that our goaltending tandem looks a hell of a lot better than the start of last year.

Johnson/Zednik was a positive grit move? Huh? Johnson's always been considered one of the softer players in the NHL... Zednik was at least chippy, willing to mix it up and piss off defenders after the whistle, and go to the front of the net. Hell, at one point, Koivu & Zednik were our two most gritty players. :lol:

Not that it matters, it's about the team today. To start last year, everyone was saying we had two starters in Huet & Aebischer, so I'm not sure how to take that last sentence. If Price as a rookie puts up similar numbers to what Aebi did we'll be doing alright. It's more that our goaltending situation has the potential to be much more than what the two goalies brought at the start of camp last year that makes it a positive.

I don't really see care about Lapierre being sent down over Chipchura.

Chipchura should have the same chance to proove himself at the NHL level a much as Lapierre had.

It's up to him to keep his job out there as a 4 th line center. I really don't see Grabovski center a 4th line.

Having someone who sees the ice and cover the middle zone, sticking nose in the traffic and not getting caught too high in the zone.

That was Lapierre biggest weakness, he was playing like a winger and was caught high up in the zone ending chasing the puck

in desperation in the defensive zone.

Chip can control much more a line by his vision and his hockey sense and not getting his line in trouble. Both Kostopoulos

and Bégin can do the dirty work in the corners.

Grabovski has shown no result yet BUT he is the only prospect that can outskate and have some cohesion on the ice with

Kovalev. My bad is that Kots is stuck with them.

Latendresse-Plek-Smolinski.

We have three line that can score and two that can be reliable defensively.

It's not all that bad.

O'byrne will come back, he made his mark and will be with the team for november as Sakhab said.

No place lfor guys like that on the Habs? I'm not sure what that means? This team now is a little too soft, IMO. i would have kept Lapierre. You may be right Spider Man but the last 10 years this team has been very small and soft and they haven't went anywhere, and often can't compete with bigger teams.

I think we are building Lapierre up to be more tough than he actually is. Don't get me wrong, he hustles and throws his weight around when he wants, but a) he really isn't very big, hes prettty skinny and he just gets under the other players skins, and there is no chance he drops the gloves in my opinion. If we are looking for this "toughness", i would probably look for a bigger player willing to drop the gloves instead of lapierre.

I like lapierre, this is not bashing him, but even with him in the lineup, i dont feel he provides the amount of toughness that this team needs.

Edited by habsfan88

I think we are building Lapierre up to be more tough than he actually is. Don't get me wrong, he hustles and throws his weight around when he wants, but a) he really isn't very big, hes prettty skinny and he just gets under the other players skins, and there is no chance he drops the gloves in my opinion. If we are looking for this "toughness", i would probably look for a bigger player willing to drop the gloves instead of lapierre.

I like lapierre, this is not bashing him, but even with him in the lineup, i dont feel he provides the amount of toughness that this team needs.

Very true but it is nice having a pest espeicially in the Habs division.

I guess Lapierre really didn't put in the full effort Carbo wanted. I guess this will serve as a lesson in humility and to avoid complacency. I feel bad for O'Byrne. He got cut due to a numbers game. The team knew the peril of demoting Gorges so poor Rhino Burn got the non-deserved boot.

I wonder if Grabs can truly seize this opportunity. If he can use his wheels and chip in offensively, we could end up with 4 balanced attacks. Also, hail Chipchura.

I'm still confused as to why Price remains. I guess we will find out in time.

I think the market value of Halak just droped a little bit. I'd be in favor of a Halak/Grabovski/good pick trade for a "Marleau" aka #1 center.

But I like having Price in Montreal, if he can get 30 starts, i think it is better for him than 60 AHL starts. Don't forget the fact that he will face real NHLers during practices too... (Huet with 52 starts would be nice, he's often injured anyway)

O'Byrne is the cut that piss me a bit. I don't see why this guy would have to play AHL while Dandy and Breezer and even Bouillon stand in the NHL. I think a move have to happen to make O'Byrne earn a lineup spot.

I think the market value of Halak just droped a little bit. I'd be in favor of a Halak/Grabovski/good pick trade for a "Marleau" aka #1 center.

But I like having Price in Montreal, if he can get 30 starts, i think it is better for him than 60 AHL starts. Don't forget the fact that he will face real NHLers during practices too... (Huet with 52 starts would be nice, he's often injured anyway)

O'Byrne is the cut that piss me a bit. I don't see why this guy would have to play AHL while Dandy and Breezer and even Bouillon stand in the NHL. I think a move have to happen to make O'Byrne earn a lineup spot.

I can't complain about any of these moves.

Halak did not outplay Carey Price so why should Halak make it?

Because he played 16 games last year? Price won the AHL MVP. Neither did anything to establish themselves

over the other but Price is the future franchise goalie, it seems in Gainey's mind that Halak would have had to substantially

outperform him to stick around. Clue number 1 should have been Canadiens.com offering up Price jerseys in August.

Chipchura outplayed Lapierre, therefore Chips made the squad.

O'Byrne is a victim of the system. If he could not pass through waivers he would not be going down to the Dogs.

The problem is the trio of Brisebois/Dandenault and Cube. When one of those 3 falter or get hurt, O'Byrne will be back.

Grabovski, I did not expect him to make it. But it was becoming clearer he would with his time on the first 2 lines in the last couple of games.

I am definitely excited to be turning the franchise over to the youth. These guys earned their time and I hope continue to push the floaters on this team.

Edited by Wamsley01

I don't know if keeping Price around was the best decision. Yes, he has won the AHL championship and all but I was not blown away by his preseason performance. It doesn't hurt to get more seasoning in the AHL, and wasting a year of his contract eligiblity for a reduced role doesn't seem that good of an idea.

Obviously it was a tough decision though and I'm sure all possible scenarios would be considered.

I suspect Gainey would strongly attempt trading Huet prior to the deadline, he will most likely not be re-signed. And so, he wants Price to get experience so he can take over the role seamlessly next season. If it comes at the expense of Halak, so be it, they don't expect him to be #1 next year.

Sending Halak to the AHL will not do much for his morale I would expect, but he wasn't great in the preseason. Same goes for Lapierre, and for that matter, O'Byrne. O'Byrne was hitting, but his general on ice smarts just weren't that developed.

I think the Marleau rumors should of been wiped out when the Sharks signed him for that many years...

Secondly, i feel that Lapierre got outplayed in the position of a centerman like others have mentionned. I must agree that i was foreseeing Lapierre more like a winger...and thats exactly the argument they have given him....Go make yourself and adapt in the AHL to a winger...possibily a left wing as we dont have many of them and i assure you we will see him back later.

as for OByrne it was kind of natural it was either that or we loose a defenseman to the waivers. Maybe one of these defensemen will interest a team as an add on and also they are well aware of the injuries factor.....This year we have backups...

Also Price attitude doesnt always please me....why oh why is he always he's satisfied with his game....I dont know his justification sometimes felt like he was a winner in the attitude department. On the other hand in a pratice he broke a stick when he was getting scored on several times in a row...is there a double saying in his comments? Anyway the player is young, we'll see in time...

Partisan

I don't think Halak's market value was huge to begin with. Maybe only to us. I believe Gainey's focus will be on getting Huet's value up and trading him this year.

Your trade idea is great but convince Wilson, not me. That's the problem. I'm sure GM's have been watching Halak but Gainey won't trade him for nothing. He should just keep him on the farm for now.

My take on the final cuts.

Price/Halak - It really didn't matter which one stayed, they are at the same level right now and Price has more upside. In, Price's situation though, management has to give Price the experience needed if the hope is that he is the number one goalie next season (with Huet being a UFA.)

Chipchura - Plain and simple, he deserves it. Chips fills a need we have for grit, leadership, and potential. Every team loves this type of player and Chipchura will be no different (Sundin will hate him)

O'Byrne - I posted this a few days ago but he is a victim of numbers, His contract is the only one that doesn't need to clear waivers. He played well enough to make the team and now management knows that they have to make room for him....right now. It just might not be that easy.

Grabovski - it's now or never. The Habs need to make a decision on him and see if he can be the player they thought when they drafted him. He is now 23 and should get a good look with decent ice time. Don't think for a second that his staying was based on his performance during the pre-season. Kovalev had alot to do with the decision.

Lapierre - He has some personality issues that carbo has had a problem with since the end of last season. Lapierre has known since early June that his spot was not a lock and that he wasn't even favored for the position. If he started believing too much in the posters around Montreal with his mug on them, a demotion should remind him of why he was there in the first place.

Murray- There is no explaination that will actually convince you of his role with this team. Alot like the Brisbois signing I come back to the same question....why?

Murray- There is no explaination that will actually convince you of his role with this team. Alot like the Brisbois signing I come back to the same question....why?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over these questions. Both Murray and Beezer are expierienced cheap players that in the worst situation will get the job done at a certain acceptable level. They are merely plug-ins as our kids develop, same with Smokes. Their place on this team is very temporary. Who knows they may even surprise us. It's really not that complicated.

I don't know if keeping Price around was the best decision. Yes, he has won the AHL championship and all but I was not blown away by his preseason performance. It doesn't hurt to get more seasoning in the AHL, and wasting a year of his contract eligiblity for a reduced role doesn't seem that good of an idea.

Obviously it was a tough decision though and I'm sure all possible scenarios would be considered.

I suspect Gainey would strongly attempt trading Huet prior to the deadline, he will most likely not be re-signed. And so, he wants Price to get experience so he can take over the role seamlessly next season. If it comes at the expense of Halak, so be it, they don't expect him to be #1 next year.

Sending Halak to the AHL will not do much for his morale I would expect, but he wasn't great in the preseason. Same goes for Lapierre, and for that matter, O'Byrne. O'Byrne was hitting, but his general on ice smarts just weren't that developed.

You have not made any type of argument as to why Halak should have stayed other than Price being an RFA 1 year earlier.

If him being an RFA one year earlier becomes an issue then his ascension has most likely been a success in which case I will not care.

What did Halak do to stay in the NHL?

Price has excelled at the junior level and the AHL level. He has proven just as much as Halak that he is ready for the next level.

Let's see if he can excel at the NHL level now. Personally I think that 30 NHL games and practicing everyday with guys like Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins (not to mention working with Melanson daily) is way better for his development than 60 AHL games and practices with Corey Locke and Matt D'Agostini. This kid is the jewel of the system, if they had babied him he would never have won the Calder Cup last season.

Great players need to be pushed, if they can't hack it then they were probably never going to be great.

Edited by Wamsley01

Better him than laps in the Press box I guess.

Murray's now the 14th forward and Dandy's now the 8th d-man by the looks of things (I think Dandy finished ahead of Murray as a forward to be the 13th). They will get merely spot action when minor injuries take over or a regular needs a benching. In case of major injury, the team will look at one of the 3 that got cut today as an option.

Can't agree with keeping Price.

If the Habs are in the playoff hunt I don't see them trading Huet.

Potentially starting Price now on his FA eligibility is a bad long-term move. 1-2 extra years of having Price in his prime is worth the wait...

I don't believe Price was the AHL MVP...he was the playoff MVP.

He played in 2, yes, 2, AHL regular season games. He played in 22 games during the Calder Cup...and while he was obviously stellar it makes no sense to push him this fast.

He's basically going from junior to the NHL...how many goalies have EVER done that successfully??

Can't agree with keeping Price.

If the Habs are in the playoff hunt I don't see them trading Huet.

Potentially starting Price now on his FA eligibility is a bad long-term move. 1-2 extra years of having Price in his prime is worth the wait...

I don't believe Price was the AHL MVP...he was the playoff MVP.

He played in 2, yes, 2, AHL regular season games. He played in 22 games during the Calder Cup...and while he was obviously stellar it makes no sense to push him this fast.

He's basically going from junior to the NHL...how many goalies have EVER done that successfully??

So are you saying a 19 year old who takes a 10th place team to a title is not as important as Cam Ward's 52 regular season AHL games? Did Ken Dryden not prove himself in the NHL until after 1972 because his Stanley Cup was only preceded by 6 NHL games?

As far as the extra year of having him? Sydney Crosby played 2 years under his rookie contract before signing an extension. The only factor that bringing Price up early is the amount of years they can have him on the cheap. If this kid is what everybody wants him to be they will lock him up to an extension before he gets anywhere near his UFA or RFA years.

If winning the Playoff MVP on a championship team is not proving yourself at the AHL level I do not know what is.

Maybe Frederic Cassisivi's 300+ AHL games are more important.

Price is going to sink or swim. If he sinks, 1-2 more years in the AHL was not going to change that.

Edited by Wamsley01

BG has surprised many of us, me included.

That said, he is probably still tinkering with the idea of 3 players moving up and down:

Grabs, Chips & Price for O'Byrne, Lapierre and Halak.

Should HABS injuries and or a trade require it, look for all to be up with by big club by Xmas.