Game Thread | Montreal vs. Toronto| 10/06/07

Spider-Man NL

What about Ryder in OT with the habs on the PP? All he had to do was play the puck at his feet, instead it looked to me like he wanted to get out of the crease area before getting hit by a Leaf's player. And Kovalev nearly ended it with the crossbar shot..............

I missed parts of the game, but WE HAD CHANCES to end it PERIOD. The refs didn't loose this game for us (surprisingly enough...)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't cost us the game, I'm just saying I'm not sold on him as an above-average #1 goalie. He's good to have around for insurance and good enough to play for us but I don't expect him to play in any All-Star games this season. His play in his first (half-)season with us is a different story though...

I get what you're saying, and I completely agree with your analysis. I believe he's an adequate goalie until Price is ready. It's funny though, he did manage to make the all-star team. Doubt that'll happen this season.

watched the second and third period and here's a few random things I noted:

-Markov played really well offensively, but made WAY more offensive brain cramps then I'm used to from him

-Bouillon's penalty at the end was just stupid, but because he's so small, that's what happens when he's trying to cover for Sundin

-Huet played fairly decently, but can the coaches please tell him NEVER to play the puck again??? (okay, so that's an exaggeration, but he needs to stay away from playing it in "high traffic" times - cost us a goal and let the leafs back into the game)

-Higgins didn't take a single shift off. Kovy worked pretty hard tonight too

-Koivu - WOW, he was MAD after Sundin pushed Markov down in OT. It's funny, everyone's been going on about "how are we gonna defend ourselves?" "who's gonna stand up for Koivu when someone pushes him around" and then Koivu stands up for Markov...

-Kovy's work on Kosty's goal was FANTASTIC. Now, if only he would put in that kind of effort every night

-Grabovski, to me, was basically invisible

-Lats was not invisible, but I rarely noticed him for doing anything good, but rather for mistakes

-Plex is working hard, but I don't think his linemates can keep up with him...

I think Chipper might be in next game. Not sure who'll be out instead, but we'll see. Maybe Lats? Grabovski?

Also, I find Plekanec is invisible out there...but he gets a pass in my view since he's saddled with the currently useless Gui as a linemate.

I agree with ShortHanded, he's doing great but his linemates don't seem to be able to keep up with him. Latendresse is just too slow and uninvolved while Kostopoulos doesn't have the offensive upside to work with a talented guy like Plekanec. I think using Gui with Chipchura might actually be best because atleast then they can play with eachother even if it takes them 5 minutes to skate from one end of the rink to the other.

A win was so close, Jesus.

With Raycroft in goal we would had won. With a bit more luck on a few close calls we would had won. With more oppurtunism on the PP we would had won. W/o Huet dumb mistake on the 2nd goal we would had won.

I hope that wasted pt wont cost end up costing us a playoff spot :unsure:

0 - 7 on the PP... that is why we lost, imo. They need to take advantage of their chances to win. When Boo boo got that penalty, I said to my wife.. watch.. Leafs will score from the point within 30 seconds... I hate being right :)

0 - 7 on the PP... that is why we lost, imo. They need to take advantage of their chances to win. When Boo boo got that penalty, I said to my wife.. watch.. Leafs will score from the point within 30 seconds... I hate being right :)

That's not that hard of a call. I'm sure pretty much every fan here said the same thing when he got that penalty. No need to point out so many of the negatives as Kovalev could have easily put it away just the same on our power play. Yeah there are things to be worked on, but I find the team really isn't looking all that bad. Personally, I'm more worried about the defensive problems tonight than the offensive ones.

I agree with ShortHanded, he's doing great but his linemates don't seem to be able to keep up with him. Latendresse is just too slow and uninvolved while Kostopoulos doesn't have the offensive upside to work with a talented guy like Plekanec. I think using Gui with Chipchura might actually be best because atleast then they can play with eachother even if it takes them 5 minutes to skate from one end of the rink to the other.

Agreed, seriously with Kosty and Higgins it was magic, now he's all alone with slow and slower.

This is about right. All the Huet bashing suddenly...give me a break. Yes, that was a terrible giveaway. But it's not as though he makes that play every game. He made piles of big saves and radiates calm out there. He's a top-10 goalie (when healthy).

In fact, I'm not interested in blaming players for this or that specific play, as many people do. What bothers me is a guy like Latendresse, who was basically useless all night long - slow, easily dislodged from the puck, playing stupid, etc.. Grabovsky had a better night, but you have to question the logic in playing him as the 2nd line C when Pleks is so obviously ready to take the next step as a bona-fide offensive threat.

Brisebois had a harder time tonight - as you might expect from a guy who missed training camp and most of last season - but I still think he helps us. Carbo has to realize that he can't clock 20 minutes a night, though.

Other than that, the good news is that our team defence seems significantly better, although still vulnerable to a hard, determined forecheck. Frankly, Hamrlik over Souray makes a big difference in that respect.

0-7 on the PP, though, that's another story - and the story of the game.

(Oh yeah, is it just me, or does Ryder look somehow faster or stronger on the puck this season so far? Just askin').

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Guys who looked bad tonight:

Breeze-by

Higgins

Latendresse

Also some bonehead shot attempts by our D-men that got blocked. You don't shoot with the forward three feet in front of you, for the love of God!!!

Breeze-by didn't look good, same with lats.

But Higgs was great!! He almost got 2 goals and he made a great play to set up Markys shorty.

Be honest, did you watch the game? :wacko:

HW Game Recap

It's up... not as long or detailed as I would have liked, but I'm getting sleepy and it's a hard game to write about considering the outcome, lol.

Methinks we'll see Chipchura against the Pens, not sure who they'll subtract from the lineup to fit him in though. Maybe Grabs. My reasoning is that Chips played well (from what I saw) when the Habs faced Pittsburgh in pre-season. Let's hope he can play as well when the games are "real" and played at a much faster pace.

I was at the game tonight...and lets just say we shot ourselves in the foot and let the leafs crawl back into it by making stupid giveaways/penalties, and by not being able to close the game on that 4 on 3 pp in overtime.... Brush it off, its the second game of the season, lets hope they improve for their next game. btw, the habs fans got the OLE going in the ACC...lasted for about 20 seconds but it was cool none the less haha

GO HABS GO (i hate the leafs so much)

Be honest, did you watch the game? :wacko:

Yes, I watched the game. I just don't find Higgins to be the impact player he was pre-injury last year.

I also get the feeling that this team will be much better at home...so I'm not too worried yet.

on the contrary,\

Higgins was without a doubt our most dangerous offensive player aside from kovalev tonight.

He was everywhere, drawing penalties and crearting chances.

Don't forget, he did miss most of the pre season this year.

By the way, i think it was a bonehead move not putting koivu with higgins in overtime PP.

Two winger? I don't get it.

Not that I watched the game or anything but wasnt this game kinda close and we were just a bit unlucky that it didnt end in our favour?

I was afraid that their gritty veterans would push around our small young players but it seems we had a decent game and got a point (almost 2) on the road?

Brisbose has bad moments but that useless Boullion screwed us royaly tonight, how is he still on this team???

My sentiments exactly. Get Gorges in there and see what he can do. We all know that Boullion gets beat man-on-man consistently and is a liability out there. His only real use is some gritty play, but that is overated cause he is a small d-man that tries hard. I wish he wasn't such a liability. Carbo needs to give Gorges a chance. Hope he is in the lineup soon.

Man Somebody should really put Suckdin out, that guy is the pussiest coward I've ever seen. High sticks Komy, bulldogs Marky, man if I were anyone on les canadiens I would hurt that pussy. :angry:

Sundin was really pissing me off. That crap he pulled on Markov was as dirty as it gets. Yet we had nobody ready or able to punch his lights out, sad.

The OT goal went right through him as well. These aren't saves he has to make but these are saves he can make and should make if he wants to keep his job safe. Starting goalies have to do more than just make the saves they should make. He lets in a lot of goals that aren't quite softies but they're so-so shots that a starting goalie on his game would make routinely.

That is exactly how I see Huet as well. I really hope Price gets a shot soon.

Fire Carbo now.

I have serious doubts about Carbo but it is a little early to be calling for his head! I really think his decision to keep Dandy on the 4th is screwing up both the third and fourth lines. Deleting Dandy and adding Chips to the 4th would put Smoke on the third and Kostopolous on the 4th. Then maybe our third line might score...Plekanec has no help on that line right now, his talent is wasted.

My sentiments exactly. Get Gorges in there and see what he can do. We all know that Boullion gets beat man-on-man consistently and is a liability out there. His only real use is some gritty play, but that is overated cause he is a small d-man that tries hard. I wish he wasn't such a liability. Carbo needs to give Gorges a chance. Hope he is in the lineup soon.

Fan favorite or not, Bouillon has to go. We all love him but he is just not good enough. Gorges or even better would be O'Byrne (I think we need his size).

Good luck though, Carbo is pretty hard headed it seems.

Well here are my thoughts.

Koivu - had a good game was creating made few mistakes.

Higgins- incredible always creating scoring chances and driving the net

Ryder- brutal offensively but was hitting hard not good enough for a 1st liner though.

Grabovsky- invisible he needs to create or be sat down

Kovalev- a moose tonight he played excellent should have scored once or twice but he worked very hard.

Kostitsyn- despite a bad first shift was also very good excellent shot for his goal

Plekanec- played excellent too bad he has wingers who just can not play in the offensive zone he needs better wingers.

Kostopolous - very good game but he does not belong with Plekanec and playing 14 minutes.

Latendresse - I was expecting him to have a bad offensive year but he has just been invisible everywhere he did not even register a hit.

Smolinski- he belongs with Plekanec the one shift together they had at least 2 good scoring chances. Played well.

Dandenault - played very well but 1.7 million for a 4th liner who was paid to be a defenseman is terrible sorry.

Begin- had an all right game but he plays as though he is still hurt.

Komisarek- had another rough game I hope it is just early season jitters.

Markov- was alright but those giveaways have to stop. I am impressed with his physical play though.

Hamrlik- is very steady he needs more minutes.

Brisebois- another terrible giveaway tonight he needs to play less to be effective.

Streit - played well again tonight should move up and play with Hammer to limit other defenseman’s minutes.

Bouillon- really is no more than a 7th defenseman even 16 minutes is more than he can handle.

Huet- not his best game that’s for sure that giveaway let the air out of the Habs sails and he is having a lot of trouble with the point shot. That said he is going through a tough time right now emotionally he might need a game off.

Carbonneau – TERRIBLE is really all I can say. Why was Bouillon on the ice when Hamrlik Streit and Markov were all on the bench to start the 3 on 3. Why are the Canadiens top forwards not getting enough time I know he wants to roll 4 lines but the Leafs had played 3 games in 4 nights. He should have shortened the bench and used his best players to win.

I hope Chipchura gets his first game against the Penguins.

This kind of loss to 'the great unwashed' is unacceptable, i.m.o.

Why, oh why, is Plecks being wasted? Is it because Kovy had a couple of good moments in pre-season with Grabs? Does one player dictate to the team that much?

With Gorges and O'Byrne waiting, the trio of Brisebois-Dandy-Bouillon looks almost as ridiculous as Carbo every game. I won't go into Chips.

To those who are blowing it off as just one game, etc. etc...how many points did we miss the playoffs by last year? The good teams know: EVERY point counts. EVERY game counts. EVERY period counts. EVERY shift counts.

Well guys you guys had somwe great points. I'll throw in my take. I don't look at 3 out of 4 points as good right now. I look at it like they just gave 3 points to playoff contenders. Had the lead 2 straight games in the third and gave it away. It is popular to pick on Carbo, but i'm sure watching his club is killing him as well. They just aren't a smart team. I do agree he puts some questionable players on the ice during crunch time.

Good news:

More points

Offensively looked good at times

PK looked good

The fourth line was excellent, Pleks Kostopolous too.

Bad news:

As much as a praised the D zone in th first game i'll bash it today. It looked like a chinmese fire drill out there. I could noe even pick one guy to bash on, they were awfull. Turnovrs, really soft on the puck, didn't win battles. it looked like last years team.

Stupid penalties again

No consistency, you Ok first, decent second, the Huet turnover causeda 20 minute free fall.

Huet was shakey at best. I won't bash the guy for recent family hard ships, but if you tell your team mates your ready, you should be ready. carbo should have sat him down. PS, stay in the net.

What this team needs besides new players:

Consistency, you never what your going to watch, even between periods

Character, they have none

Personality; You know what the Leafs are, big, tough and hard working. I would have no idea what to discribe the habs as.

Work ethic: This is what pisses me off about thisa team, i don't expect them to win, play great all the time but atleast plauy hard.