Game Thread | Canadiens vs. Penguins | 10/10/07

Spider-Man NL

Cataclaw's Review

Price: A+ Outstanding play. He stopped a lot of shots, and was brilliant at times. The first goal on him should not have been a goal in the first place, due to the interference by Crosby. Bad call by the refs. The other goal was a point blank shot that couldn't be stopped. I can't wait to see more!

Kovalev: A- Good stuff from Kovalev. He was a bit sloppy at times during the third (seems like he started running out of gas a bit) but overall a solid game, and a goal to show for his efforts. A born again Kovalev? Time will tell. For now though, this is the third game in a row he puts up a consistent effort.

Bouillon: B- Finally a decent performance by Bouillon, following two terrible games last week.

Gorges: D Bad bad bad. I was a bit surprised by his play tonight. I'm hoping this is just a blip on the radar.

Latendresse: C+ It was either a C+ or a B-. Good forechecking, but still lacking what he had last year. He did play better than his last two games though.

Koivu: B+ Although Koivu was in effect shut down at times due to his battling the Crosby line, he was still quite effective, as the captain usually is.

Hamrlik: B The fact his name doesn't come up often is a good thing. Although Markov is definitely the better defensemen, Hamrlik is solid and consistent, and that's exactly what the Habs need and what Souray wasn't. Good stuff.

Markov: A- I noticed a goof in the third, but that's about all i can say negatively about Markov. His posititioning and hockey vision is outstanding. His goal is a fine example of that.

Komisarek: C+ Okay, C+ is maybe a bit harsh, but those penalties were unnecessary. Good play in every other regard though. Good stuff helping Price prevent that goal following the mistake between Price and Koivu behind the net in the third period.

Chipchura: B- He needs to be more consistent with his passing and puck handling, but his speed and energy are definitely assets. A pretty decent first game.

Bégin: B Fiesty as usual. Good stuff! Great forechecking too.

Higgins: A+ Out-freaking-standing. Higgins should be Red Bull's new mascot. He deserved a hat trick tonight, and instead was denied every chance and ended up pointless. If he plays like this all year, he'll break 30 goals and then some. He was simply amazing to watch. He puts in a last ditch effort even when it seems all hope is lost. I liked how Higgins spun around and made a fool of Crosby before going to the net for a scoring chance.

Good game overall. 5 points out of 6 on the road. Awesome! :hlogo:

Edited by Cataclaw

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamrlik?

Price was solid and made fantastic saves but Hamrlik was just incredible.

As much as the haters complain, this defence is a huge upgrade on last season when it comes to puck movement.

No panic clears, Hamrlik is so confident with the puck. He was great tonight

Good morning all,

It is 5:12 am here in sunny Doha, Qatar and I was pissed that I had to get up at 3:00am for a class I am taking from the University of Calgary. However, I did get to listen to the last five minutes of the game (and troll on this board during class). Although, I nearly had a heart attack when Smolinski iced the puck near the end. Naysayers please take note: 5/6 points on the road...not a bad start :hlogo: :clap:

I say 1 more time that unfortunately (cause i like him) huet and some of the excess are gone by xmas and we will have the offense and toughness we desire. Price is awesome and yeah he may be the second st patrick :ghg:

Quoted for truth.

Thanks.

Saw half the second and all of the third. I have to say:

-Price was awesome

-Barely noticed Chipper (but that might be a good thing - no mistakes standing out and I was doing a bunch of other stuff while watching)

-Kovy and Plex - Works for me!

-Didn't notice Gorges either.

-Higgins has to score eventually - he's working SOOO hard every shift, and he draws a lot of penalties with all his hard work

Good morning all,

It is 5:12 am here in sunny Doha, Qatar and I was pissed that I had to get up at 3:00am for a class I am taking from the University of Calgary. However, I did get to listen to the last five minutes of the game (and troll on this board during class). Although, I nearly had a heart attack when Smolinski iced the puck near the end. Naysayers please take note: 5/6 points on the road...not a bad start :hlogo: :clap:

hey good morning! lol

funny time for a class, and to listen to a hockey game!

Congrats to Price! He made it and he did a great job!

Thanks.

Saw half the second and all of the third. I have to say:

-Price was awesome

-Barely noticed Chipper (but that might be a good thing - no mistakes standing out and I was doing a bunch of other stuff while watching)

-Kovy and Plex - Works for me!

-Didn't notice Gorges either.

-Higgins has to score eventually - he's working SOOO hard every shift, and he draws a lot of penalties with all his hard work

Good call. You missed the wretched first period, althought Price was very steady for them.

i thought gorges played really well

I thought Gorges looked nervous. Same for Chipchura early on but he seemed to calm down as the game went on. I think he'll need a bit more games before playing his style.

Lats should look at the game from the press box vs Toronto.

NICE game for :hlogo: I really enjoyed Price, Kovy, Markov, Plex (1rst time this season), HIGGINS !!! and Hamrlik.

Lats was bad... sad to say, but he deserves the stands... a little wake up call would be nice for him.

5 points out of 6 !!!!!! :ghg:

To say that I'm proud of Chips would be an understatement.

To say that I'm proud of Price would be an huge understatement.

To say that I'm proud of the Habs tonight would be a massive understatement!

GO HABS GO!

Watched it!

Love it!

Keep IT up!

GO HABS GO!

To say that I'm proud of Chips would be an understatement.

To say that I'm proud of Price would be an huge understatement.

To say that I'm proud of the Habs tonight would be a massive understatement!

GO HABS GO!

Watched it!

Love it!

Keep IT up!

GO HABS GO!

that pretty much summed up my night!

Wish I'd seen the game. Shaw Cable had Canadiens Express listed for 9 PM Vancouver time...instead in was almost over by then. Man am I cheesed.

The thought that Price actually rose to the occasion, though, has me giddy. Could this really be The One we've been waiting for??? I don't even dare hope, but... :clap:

Higgins has been dynamite all season - I just hope he doesn't get frustrated.

Super stoked we won.

But lets keep it in perspective .... we got 5 out of 6, yes, but we earned extra points due to 2 overtime games .... not exactly dominant .... but enough. Just like this team is not a pile of poo, where Carbo should be fired, it is not a .833 winning percentage team either (we won 1 game out of three in regulation - the overtime win could have gone the other way very easily)). If you want to avoid getting too down, don't get too high when the going is good ... get too high when the going is unbelievable! It is only the 3rd game of the season.

Super stoked we won.

But lets keep it in perspective .... we got 5 out of 6, yes, but we earned extra points due to 2 overtime games .... not exactly dominant .... but enough. Just like this team is not a pile of poo, where Carbo should be fired, it is not a .833 winning percentage team either (we won 1 game out of three in regulation - the overtime win could have gone the other way very easily)). If you want to avoid getting too down, don't get too high when the going is good ... get too high when the going is unbelievable! It is only the 3rd game of the season.

Note: I said 5/6 on the road was a pretty good start... I don't think anyone is getting ready to plan the SC parade route just yet, but moderation does not seem to be a comm on characteristic on this board. :hlogo:

Super stoked we won.

Oh yes... perspective.

One game does not a season make, or a career. Yet, one has to admitt that Price was darn good against an exploding scoring machine. Chips also played quite well, with some nice passes and back-checking in his own end. Gorges, however, was an absolute disaster: let us hope it is a blip on the radar.

The defense seemed to struggle when the three smaller D-men (Bouillon, Gorges, and Streit) were faced with much bigger and speedy forwards.

Great night for Carey!

26 saves huh?

You know, Roy had 26 shots in his first start vs the Pens in 1985.

Hmmmm......

It's nice for Price to get the win, but it really didn't matter, he will be a good one.

Super stoked we won.

Agreed. Good to stay calm. I am very happy about the win, but should also say that last year, after the melt down, many here pointed out that even in the early season success, we often won the games by very narrow margins (as we've done so far). It's obviously important to still be winning, but winning in OT or by one goal in regulation is not yet dominating. We are not there yet. That said, I prefer a team with many young blue-chippers early in their careers rounded out by decent vets winning (or at least playing) close games, to a team loaded with not so great vets who have plateaued in terms of ability/competence/achievement/potential winning (or at least playing) a bunch of close games. And that's the difference between this year and last year. This year, the potential is there with at least half our players that they still have a lot of improving to do.

We got lucky, Pens were down and with all those bad penalties in the first and in the second period

it took little miracles to survive and Price did it.

But this team we faced is not the team that was eager to win last year. They are looking

for the flashy play, blind pass and not playing as they should.

Let us not be fooled by the 5 points in possible 6. We are still a patched team, not a whole team, too many holes.

It will be tough to fill the holes in this Habs line up. But what struck me most is that the other teams looks ready yet in the East

except Ottawa and TB every team have ALL huge holes in their line up BUF FLO NJ PHILLIE or did not have the right mix yet (NYR,PIT)