Game Thread | Canadiens vs. Penguins | 10/10/07

Spider-Man NL

Why the hell is Gui still dressed? The guy was absolute garbage against the Leafs...

his coach gave him a slap on the hands in the papers yesterday. the guy deserves to play in order to redeem himself.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting. Very pleased to see price, chipper, and Gorges! Surprised it was Breezer who's sitting and not booboo. But not htat surprised Grabovski's sitting, despite teh fact that Carbo was just quoted saying he's young and we'll be patient with him...

Uggh, scratching Brisebois over Bouillon. I suppose this is just something they are going to do - give Brisebois a rest every now and then, because his play definitely does not warrant a benching. Also, they ought to be a bit more patient with Grabovski but I think the lines look a lot better with him on the bench. He should never have made the team over Lapierre. I hope they don't keep Bouillon and Streit together for too long, but the Penguins aren't too big a team so they may not get dominated in their own zone, this time.

IMHO Bouillon played OK at the ACC.

Yeah he did but he just played too much, and thats when the Habs get burned because he is a #6 defenseman,

Edited by JMMR

Uggh, scratching Brisebois over Bouillon. I suppose this is just something they are going to do - give Brisebois a rest every now and then, because his play definitely does not warrant a benching. Also, they ought to be a bit more patient with Grabovski but I think the lines look a lot better with him on the bench. He should never have made the team over Lapierre. I hope they don't keep Bouillon and Streit together for too long, but the Penguins aren't too big a team so they may not get dominated in their own zone, this time.

You make some interesting points. Bouillon is all heart but the talent is lacking, Brisebois gets the puck and you are either amazed at the pass or the giveaway.....

Chipchura and Price making their first starts together is great. Lets hope for a win and to knock that smug smile off Crosby's face.

Go Habs.

I can remember Lats being the hero not so long ago...Bandwagoneers, give the kid a break for being 20 and not consistent!!

You guys react like the montreal media!

So very true I thought he was going to have a bad offensive year this season but a good physical one. I really hope im wrong and he is great at both but its okay he is so young and for bigger guys it usually takes a bit longer.

So very true I thought he was going to have a bad offensive year this season but a good physical one. I really hope im wrong and he is great at both but its okay he is so young and for bigger guys it usually takes a bit longer.

He should have been doing this growing in Juniors and the AHL. We kept him with our team last season because he can play in the NHL. After a full season in the NHL, it is no longer an excuse to say that it takes longer for bigger guys to develop - look at how we're handling O'Byrne. If he's NHL ready than Lats has to play like an NHL player, no kiddy excuses.

The issue with Lats is not just that he's struggled - it's that he's looked catastrophically bad, like a Junior B version of Garth Murray. I can handle a player making mistakes, but not a player being as useless as boobs on Stephen Harper. However, I do think they're doing the right thing in giving him another chance. He's young and has a huge upside, so you want to treat him as a work in progress and give him the chance to straighten things out. But he has to realize that he's on the bubble, or ought to be. If he keeps getting muscled off the puck, send him down until he learns how to play with that brand new, extra lean body of his.

The other moves are OK. Huet has been through a lot lately and deserves a break, although I think Pittsburgh is NOT the ideal opponent for Price. I'd rather break him in gently. Brisebois doesn't 'deserve' to sit based on his strong play, but Carbo can probably sell it to him as a necessary rest given his age and lack of preseason training. (And it was probably part of the deal when they signed him, the understanding that he wouldn't play every night).

Grabovski does deserve to sit based on poor play. He's not where Lats is, an established young NHLer who has suddenly taken a step back. A player in Grabs' position has to make the case that he deserves the kind of leeway Lats has, by proving that he can bring value at the NHL level.

The really good news about all of this is that it will allow us to take full advantage of Plekanec, who in two games has made a brief but convincing case that he might be on the cusp of blossoming into an elite-level offensive threat. Instead of weighing him down with plodding linemates, he's now going to have the chance to take it to another level. Good call, Guy!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm not surprised to see Grabs scratched. Does it mean Carbo lost his patience? I don't think so. Grabs has struggled in the first 2 games (e.g. 1 shot, no bodycheck, awful faceoff %). He deserves to sit for a game. Patience is to not send him to Hamilton... Plus, you can't sit Chips for too long, so someone had to sit instead. Why Grabs and not Lats? Because Lats played in the NHL last year and showed what he can do. It wouldn't be fair to sit him after only two games...

Brisebois is better than Bouillon, I agree. But he made somany giveaways against Toronto that he's the one who deserves to sit. And to Bouillon's defense, he's more physical and more safe defensively than Brisebois.

From TSN's Bob McKenzie:

There may be those who question the wisdom of the Montreal Canadiens starting netminder Carey Price against Sidney Crosby in his first NHL game on Wednesday night in Pittsburgh, but it may turn out to be a fitting debut.

Because in years, when we look back on the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, it may well be that Price is the only prospect from that class who has even a chance to be mentioned in the same breath as Sid the Kid.

Now as good as Bobby Ryan or Jack Johnson or Anze Kopitar or Marc Staal are going to be, Price has a chance to be something special.

He demonstrated that last spring, when at the age of 19, he turned in a goaltending performance for the ages in leading Hamilton to the American Hockey League's Calder Cup championship.

His effort was Ken Dryden-like in its come-out-of-nowhere brilliance, just what the Canadiens imagined he might do when they surprised everyone by taking him fifth overall in the 2005 draft.

The Habs saw a big, athletic, puck-handling goalie with grace under pressure and the ability to instill confidence in his teammates - a potential Martin Brodeur look-a-like.

A potential franchise goalie.

The Canadiens have gone out of their way to low key Price's arrival in the National Hockey League, as they should because young goalies sometimes take time to mature. But Sidney Crosby vs. Carey Price could be the beginning of something very special indeed.

Try Sopcast, I watched the Carolina game with no problems at all, that being said the Leafs game didn't really connect that well, and when it did was broken up. Let's hope tonights game has a good feed.

Does anyone know how the P2P works? Does one person broadcast the game for everyone?

Edited by Kjell Dahlin

I'd appreciate an idiot's guide to online viewing for this game if anyone wants to key me in on Sopcast or other options. Zero opportunity to see it on TV here in Japan, lots of international Habs fans are in a similar situation I know . . .

I would like to think that GC read my earlier post regarding the lineup, BUT...

On, another matter, chill out folks. We are Game # 3 into a long season.

Yes, Lats has not been particularly good. That is also the case with others: where, for example, has Pleks been?

But give them a break: the season is young.

And, yes, tonight will be a special game regardless of the score.

You have the Captain of the Cdn. World Jr. Team in Chips and the Price(less) goaltender who made the difference both there and in the Calder Cup. These two will have the CHC tattooed on them tonight forever.

I'd appreciate an idiot's guide to online viewing for this game if anyone wants to key me in on Sopcast or other options. Zero opportunity to see it on TV here in Japan, lots of international Habs fans are in a similar situation I know . . .

Just go to the Sopcast website, the guide is very simple...

(21)Higgins - (11)Koivu - (73)Ryder

(27)Kovalev - (14)Plekanec - (46)Kostitsyn

(84)Latendresse - (20)Smolinski - (6)Kostopoulos

(22)Bégin - (28)Chipchura - (25)Dandenault

Close Carbo, but not quite it yet.

IMO:

Higgins is to Plek what Ryder is to Koivu.

The first two lines should be IMO:

Kovalev Koivu Ryder

Higgins Plekanec Kost (our best line in the last stretch last season)

Also, Lapierre should be on teh 3rd instead of Kostopoulos

AND

Kosto should be on the 4th instead of Dandy.

(79)Markov - (8)Komisarek

(26)Gorges - (44)Hamrlik

(51)Bouillon - (32)Striet

WOW, 5 Lefties... is that good or bad?

I'd play Streit with Hamrlik. I'd call up O'Byrne to play with Cube. Scrap Dandy. and keep Briser for the soft offensive games like tonight's.

I would like to think that GC read my earlier post regarding the lineup, BUT...

On, another matter, chill out folks. We are Game # 3 into a long season.

Yes, Lats has not been particularly good. That is also the case with others: where, for example, has Pleks been?

But give them a break: the season is young.

You've got to be kidding me, Right? Have you seen who he's playing with? I'll start questioning Plek's play when he's put with linemates who can keep up with him AND can't produce after that...

But I agree. Ppl need to chill.