Game Thread | Hurricanes vs. Canadiens | 10/13/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They worked reasonably hard but they played like ass. One of the most pathetic attempts at NHL hockey I can remember us making.

Only bright spots for us were Hamrlik, Brisebois and Bouillon on defence, Plekanec, Ryder, Dandenault and Kovalev on offence with Huet playing a good game in net but he needs to jump on rebounds quicker, loose pucks are always robbed away from him.

latendressae IS KILLING ME, its time to sit him...i hope he wakes up.

Yep, he's starting to turn into a grinder because he hasn't got the ability to deke people one-on-one. Every time he rushes up ice he has to dump the puck behind the guy and then chase. Then, he's too slow to beat the defender to the puck so that's really not a good strategy for him. He looks kind of what Ryder used to be (he's grown out of it a bit) - a goalscorer who can't create his own shot. Gui needs to sit in position until he gets open, waits for a pass and then takes his shot. So right now, my advice would be not much even strength time, but let him play on the PP where he can get open.

Kostitsyn has to play more. Only 11:49 on icetime tonite. WTF in up with that. Lats showed a little life out there, but still need to see more. If the offense struggles, gotta inject some more youth in there.

Yep, he's starting to turn into a grinder because he hasn't got the ability to deke people one-on-one. Every time he rushes up ice he has to dump the puck behind the guy and then chase. Then, he's too slow to beat the defender to the puck so that's really not a good strategy for him. He looks kind of what Ryder used to be (he's grown out of it a bit) - a goalscorer who can't create his own shot. Gui needs to sit in position until he gets open, waits for a pass and then takes his shot. So right now, my advice would be not much even strength time, but let him play on the PP where he can get open.

Unfortunately for Lats, you just described Dags. If Lats is nothing but a shooter, trade him.

Is it just me or is Kostopolous getting to much icetime?

Yeah ive noticed that too, i havent even looked at his icetime per game but it seems like he's always out there.

Now looking at it, he should be around 10-12 minutes but the past two games its been 14 and 15. Drives me nuts when we play grinders for that much...

That game sucked...too much scrambly play. The refs sure didn't help, but it could have been overcome with a more fluent game by the Habs. Bad passes/bobbled passes/whiffed shots/wide shots.....just SLOPPY for the most part.

First loss, no points for the first time. I hate that :(

Thanks as always Spider-Man NL for the thread.

Carbo should switch Markov and Komisarek to play with Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Kovalev and have Hamrlik and Streit/Brisebois playing with line 1 IMO.

First loss, no points for the first time. I hate that :(

Thanks as always Spider-Man NL for the thread.

Carbo should switch Markov and Komisarek to play with Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Kovalev and have Hamrlik and Streit/Brisebois playing with line 1 IMO.

I was thinking maybe they should try splitting up Komi and Markov. Put one of them with Brisebois and one with Hamrlik.

Too much Latendresse and Frigging Kostopolous out there! WTF

Lats has been crap so Carbo moves him to the second line? WTF

Too much grinder/two way defensive bullshit for me. We have a small, speedy team why oh why does Kostopolous play so much? WTF

Well said. Trying to play the New Jersey style without the New Jersey players. Play to their strengths.

Unfortunately for Lats, you just described Dags. If Lats is nothing but a shooter, trade him.

He hasn't sucked for long enough to trade a 20 year old with 40 goal potential who's coming off a 16-goal rookie season as a teenager. Maybe he belongs back on the top line. I would say reunite Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn but I'd be scared to move Kovy while he's playing so well. I think I would do this:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Grabovski-Smolinski-Kovalev

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

I don't think Dandenault deserves to be scratched though considering he's working harder than anyone and is actually being effective. I guess they save these for the time when Dandenault starts sucking.

Am I the only one who's sick of Smolinski? He just seems so useless to me. I definitely would have taken Johnson over him (and Johnson just signed with St Louis for something near the league minimum).

Disappointing. I only got to watch the 3rd and we looked GREAT, but I guess the 1st and 2nd killed us :(

Okay, Is Carbo F'd up or what!! I mean AK 46 on 4th??!!??, Lats, our worst player in the first two games on 2nd???

O well, at Tuesday should be easy I expect a big W. Also it's on tsn :)

Damn. I was at the game tonight and here are my comments.

1. Carbo uses too much 3rd and 4th line.

2. Refs sucked a little bit.

3. Best Dmen : Bouillon and Breezer

4. Worst Dmen : Streit and MARKOV (he had like 5 giveaways)

5. We missed too much opportunities during the 3rd period, Kostopoulos missed the best one.

6. Hurricanes just can't score nice goals, it's always some kind of garbage goals like their first one.

7. Habs just can't score garbage goals when they need to.

8. Huet was good, so was Cam Ward

9. How can we win a game by playing a whole period (2nd) in PK?

10. The crowd was nice. No boooing for Breezer.

Next game nov. 5 against Buffalo. Can't wait for it.

Yeah I would say Grabovski deserves a shot against Buffalo because we know it's going to be a run and gun style game.

He hasn't sucked for long enough to trade a 20 year old with 40 goal potential who's coming off a 16-goal rookie season as a teenager. Maybe he belongs back on the top line. I would say reunite Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn but I'd be scared to move Kovy while he's playing so well. I think I would do this:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Grabovski-Smolinski-Kovalev

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

I don't think Dandenault deserves to be scratched though considering he's working harder than anyone and is actually being effective. I guess they save these for the time when Dandenault starts sucking.

Am I the only one who's sick of Smolinski? He just seems so useless to me. I definitely would have taken Johnson over him (and Johnson just signed with St Louis for something near the league minimum).

No way. I definitely wouldnt touch the first line and probably not the second. It think we just need to add a little offense to the 3rd (ie. dump Kosto) and make the 4th a grinder line.

I'm actually quite happy with the general shape of the team.

No way. I definitely wouldnt touch the first line and probably not the second. It think we just need to add a little offense to the 3rd (ie. dump Kosto) and make the 4th a grinder line.

I'm actually quite happy with the general shape of the team.

Dump Kostopoulos? Considering we just signed him, don't get your hopes up. And we don't have a more offensive option than him (Lapierre, where are you!?) I'm proposing lines that have proven themselves. It could be the only way to wake up Latendresse, while keeping all our major players on lines we know they can produce on (aside for Kovalev, who I'll trust to carry that third line on his back).

Dump Kostopoulos? Considering we just signed him, don't get your hopes up. And we don't have a more offensive option than him (Lapierre, where are you!?) I'm proposing lines that have proven themselves. It could be the only way to wake up Latendresse, while keeping all our major players on lines we know they can produce on (aside for Kovalev, who I'll trust to carry that third line on his back).

Grabovski-Smolinski-Kovalev is a proven line? I dont think so.

Why would you wanna break up our first 2 lines right now? And as for waking up latendresse....maybe he's awake, and this is as good as he gets. He needs more speed or he will never be good in this league.

I didnt mean to literally "dump" Kosto..just from the 3rd line. I think he would be great on the 4th.