Gui out Grabs in Begin out Murray in

JMMR

While I am a bit surprised that Smolinski is on the second line...I am not upset to see Kostitsyn on the 3rd. I have not witnessed any amazing talent from this guy yet. Maybe this will wake him up.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Package or release, they are taking up space. if nobody wants 4th liners why the hell did we sign Kostopolous? Is it going to take Ryder walking away for nothing for some people to wake up?

I think Kostopoulos was brought in as an upgrade on Murray - and he was the one that made it possible for us to send Lapierre down for a short conditioning/development stint.

As for the package, what GM in their right mind would take a package of both Dandenault and Murray? Only package I could see us making would be something like Ryder, Grabovski + Dandenault for ... as in a major deal where we throw someone in. We will definitely not be able to package our guys without having atleast one player of consequence in the trade.

Though so far, our depth has worked out well for us as all 23 players have played in the first 5 games and, by my count, an amazing 10 of them have been scratched atleast once. This allows for internal competition, plenty of replacements in case of injuries, the ability to give players like Huet and Brisebois the chance to take a rest every so often and the ability to scratch struggling players like Grabovski and Latendresse for a game or two. It also makes it a hell of a lot easier to implement a "whoever works, plays" system because we actually have the power to bench players who are slacking off. And this is all without Lapierre, who is better than plenty of the guys currently on our 23-man roster.

who's the 4th? I count Begin, Murray, Kosto, and... not Chipper I hope?

As of right now, Chipper is the fourth. Note that I said RIGHT NOW; I think he could very well end up being a very good 3rd line guy if he gains some confidence and asserts himself at the NHL level. But RIGHT NOW, based on how he's played the first four games, he's filling a grinder's role.

Next to step up Kostopolous? He does what he is asked to do. I am just guessing here but he wasn't brought in to score goals.

He might not have been brought in to score goals, but he sure as hell wasnt brought in to create turnovers after turnovers in the neutral zone. He's got the magic touch of Garth Murray with the puck.

Kosto is there to motivate Lapierre. Basically Gainey and Carbo are telling Lapierre: here's what we want you to become: a gritty 2-way RW.

Anyway, gotta love the Kosty-Grabs reformation.

As of right now, Chipper is the fourth. Note that I said RIGHT NOW; I think he could very well end up being a very good 3rd line guy if he gains some confidence and asserts himself at the NHL level. But RIGHT NOW, based on how he's played the first four games, he's filling a grinder's role.

Filling a grinder's role yet playing like a veteran two-way NHLer. He's been one of our best players in the first four games.

Dandenault, Murray and Boullion still being on this team atests to Gaineys trading impotency.

Lapierre, Chipchura and O'byrne all rot down in the ahl while this line up of plugs putters away.

Chipchura is in the nhl, not the ahl?

Chipchura is in the nhl, not the ahl?

I guess he was referring to his lack of icetime and being scratched for the first two games.

Probably for the best but I'm not sold on these lines. I don't like Smoke with Plekanec and Kovalev.

Me neither...

While I am a bit surprised that Smolinski is on the second line...I am not upset to see Kostitsyn on the 3rd. I have not witnessed any amazing talent from this guy yet. Maybe this will wake him up.

I haven't watched saturday's game, but I think he (AK46) was good in the three first games I saw. He managed to have scoring opportunities every game, and setting some great plays. He showed up every night. He was crushed in the boards twice and didn't shy away afterwards. He gave some bodychecks too. Isn't that what we want from a rookie 2nd liner?

Edited by Punkned

And the camp experiments continue? :blink: I like these particular moves right now but if this produces nothing I will be truly annoyed. In time, we'll all start to wonder why the org called up who they did or didn't. This is a headline I wish would go away. Let's get our team players names written on some freakin' roster sheet paper-soon!

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Hahahah. I hope he gets a gordie howe hatty.

heheh... remember, he scored 2 goals one time last year? Souray was mic'd that game, and I remember him telling Murray he'd have to fly home after the game for the party / parade...

Also, thanks for the source on the Dandy/Murray thing.

heheh... remember, he scored 2 goals one time last year? Souray was mic'd that game, and I remember him telling Murray he'd have to fly home after the game for the party / parade...

Also, thanks for the source on the Dandy/Murray thing.

It was 2 years against the Bruins habs won 2-0.

I didn't see much of the Carolina debacle, so my comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. However, I think that second line looks great: two dangerously skilled forwards (one on the rise, the other seemingly determined to show he's still got it) and one seasoned, shifty, all-purpose vet - who's looking to bounce back from a crapola game to boot. Potentially interesting chemistry there.

But I thought Dandy was performing startlingly well as a fourth-line forward. I really don't understand hanging him out to dry. Did he stink out the joint on Saturday or what - ?

Someone on another board said Dandy is rumored to be a little banged up, hence the potential switch. I guess we'll see if it's at all accurate tomorrow. Dandenault did practice in his normal spot.

Me neither...

I haven't watched saturday's game, but I think he (AK46) was good in the three first games I saw. He managed to have scoring opportunities every game, and setting some great plays. He showed up every night. He was crushed in the boards twice and didn't shy away afterwards. He gave some bodychecks too. Isn't that what we want from a rookie 2nd liner?

Ya, I wouldnt say Kostitsyn has been playing bad at all. However I know that I've seen him play better. I hope Carbo puts that line back together this year, it was 1 of the highlights from last year. i.e. Kosts, Pleks, Higgs line. Those 3 playing together late last year were almost producing a point/game. I'd love to see if the could keep that pace up through an entire season. ;)

And the camp experiments continue? :blink: I like these particular moves right now but if this produces nothing I will be truly annoyed. In time, we'll all start to wonder why the org called up who they did or didn't. This is a headline I wish would go away. Let's get our team players names written on some freakin' roster sheet paper-soon!

I dont think its a huge deal not knowing whos with who. It helps in several ways, makes it harder for teams to prepare to play against you. Plus it gets all your players familiar with each other. If there are any major injuries Carbo will already know what alternate lines work. Sure this isnt extremely impotant at the start of the season, its more like a proactive idea that could be needed in the playoffs, especially on a long run to the Cup. Interoperability between all your forwards is never a bad thing.

Also, am I the only 1 wondering if all the line changes is just Carbo and Gainey are being coy on purpose and just playing mind games with everybody? Similar to what Quinn did that 1 year with the Laffs. He knew what the lines were, but played every possible combination but. They barely made the playoffs but swept the President Trophy Sens in the 1st round.

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev (most talented players/scorers)

Kost-Plekanec-Higgins (best line of last year)

Lats-Lapiere-Smolinski (crash/bang line that can score,Lapiere just needs to get Lats going)

Begin-Chipchura-Kosto (Grinder/shutout line)

Thats what i would like to see.

I Lats doesnt show, you could use Grabs there!

Okay...will someone please enlighten me why Garth Murray is put in over Dandy? Honestly the hockey ive watched out of Dandenault has been by far the best I have seen him play since his arrival to Montreal (no lie). Secondly, thank heavens about Gui goin to the press box to watch the game...time for him to come back to reality that being on a hockey team isn't a popularity contest. Lastly, not liking these lineups out of Carbonneau at all! Ive said it before and i'll say it again...this is what i want the lines to be!

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Higgins

Smolinski-Grabovski-Chipchura

(non press box)-Begin-Streit

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-Brisebois

Gorges-Dandenault

I wouldn't mind seeing Boullion miss a few games and watch a few from the press box either...his play has been subpar as of late.

I think that would work....nonetheless hopefully everything works well and Garth Murray puts on some kind of clinic like Chad Kilger did vs the Sabres last night. lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by l<OV4L3V

Okay...will someone please enlighten me why Garth Murray is put in over Dandy? Honestly the hockey ive watched out of Dandenault has been by far the best I have seen him play since his arrival to Montreal (no lie). Secondly, thank heavens about Gui goin to the press box to watch the game...time for him to come back to reality that being on a hockey team isn't a popularity contest. Lastly, not liking these lineups out of Carbonneau at all! Ive said it before and i'll say it again...this is what i want the lines to be!

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Higgins

Smolinski-Grabovski-Chipchura

(non press box)-Begin-Streit

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-Brisebois

Gorges-Dandenault

I wouldn't mind seeing Boullion miss a few games and watch a few from the press box either...his play has been subpar as of late.

I think that would work....nonetheless hopefully everything works well and Garth Murray puts on some kind of clinic like Chad Kilger did vs the Sabres last night. lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Higgins will not be moved out of Koivu line, Carbo seem clear on that, in fact this and the first duo of defense are the

only clear things we see out of Carbo's mind.

- Chipchura will not play wing, it would be a total waste and it would mix him too much. Don't play with th kids heads.

- Bouillon was by far the best defensemen againt Carolina. Punish him for that ?

- Did you see once Dandenault win a fight in the corner for the puck ?? Me not, a fourth liner is supposed to work hard

in the corners wear down defenders. Not play as a third defensemen, that totally destroy what Chipchura and Bégin are doing to get the puck in the opponent zone and work hard with it.

- Streit up front ??? Only with Kovalev to cover his giveaways.

Streit deserves more than 4th line ice time. He's been good on defense, and very good on PP...

Correct he should be playing 17-19 minutes a night. He had a bad game on Saturday but I expect him to respond very well tonight.