Kovalev stirring the pot again

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like that he is public about it. But he IS RIGHT and you can't blame him for pointing it out (maybe next time walk into Gainey's office and say it there).

If Carbo expects the players to be accountable for their play (and team losses) then he should be held accountable for his own dumb decisions i.e. the players on the ice in the last 2 mins; a third liner centre playing on the second line and a second line winger on the third line to "create offense" How he has handled Carey Price...etc etc

Even after last nights game where the team dominated all night Carbo couldn't say "we played a great game and they got lucky" noooo instead he says "I asked the guys to play a full 60 minutes for a week and they played 58 minutes. We lost becasue of a player took a bad penalty"

TAKE SOME OWNERSHIP YOU PIECE OF @#$%!

Edited by Habitforming

I don't mind his comments so much because they aren't offensive or anything really or even directly insulting Carbo. He just points out that they were unorganized in the final stages of the game. It also helps that he is right, though at the time, the thought of a timeout didn't even cross my mind.

I think when Kovalev was given the A, he was given permission to speak his mind to the media (after all, isn't that part of the responsibilities of the captain and alternate captains? - and part of why we love Higgins as an alternate, because he is so great with the media) and to be a leader on this team.

I think this will be given way more attention than it deserves though. There is a big difference between this and Samsonov whining (or even the Kovalev allegations from last season).

I don't mind his comments so much because they aren't offensive or anything really or even directly insulting Carbo. He just points out that they were unorganized in the final stages of the game. It also helps that he is right, though at the time, the thought of a timeout didn't even cross my mind.

I think when Kovalev was given the A, he was given permission to speak his mind to the media (after all, isn't that part of the responsibilities of the captain and alternate captains? - and part of why we love Higgins as an alternate, because he is so great with the media) and to be a leader on this team.

I think this will be given way more attention than it deserves though. There is a big difference between this and Samsonov whining (or even the Kovalev allegations from last season).

You might be right but for people who think Carbo is not a good coach this is like fuel for their opinions. It is possible that the comments were made in the spirit that you suggest but I'm not so sure. I wonder if Kovalev feels that Carbo has no idea what he is doing and this is just a glimpse of his frustration.

If this comments were coming from Huet, we wouldn't speak that much about it. But Kovy this, Kovy that, bla bla bla, he still the ONLY one who scored a goal...

It wouldn't matter who said it, it is still 100% true

I hate Carbo as a coach, but since the last thread we had about it, I haven't posted his mistakes in games on a daily basis. Maybe I'll start just so you can see most of his guffaws are things you learn from the minor leagues.

I'd say by the end of the month Kovy asks for a trade.

Edited by Habitforming

Personally, I've never understood why comments like this are so explosive. It's a fair observation. And it may be that Kovalev was just speaking his mind, not meaning it as a massive attack on Carbo, but just saying, 'well, we might have goofed here...'

I don't think the way to lead is to demand a cone of silence that forbids all honest questioning. But for some reason the NHL culture is that any such comment is automatically taken as an attack on the coach.

Anyway, this is unfortunate, because things being what they are, it opens up a whole bag of sh*t that we really don't need, on the heels of one of the very best habs performances in years. This team, last night, showed that it could come together and dominate. We should be building on that, instead of reverting back to last year's self-destructive crapola.

Personally, I've never understood why comments like this are so explosive. It's a fair observation. And it may be that Kovalev was just speaking his mind, not meaning it as a massive attack on Carbo, but just saying, 'well, we might have goofed here...'

I don't think the way to lead is to demand a cone of silence that forbids all honest questioning. But for some reason the NHL culture is that any such comment is automatically taken as an attack on the coach.

Anyway, this is unfortunate, because things being what they are, it opens up a whole bag of sh*t that we really don't need, on the heels of one of the very best habs performances in years. This team, last night, showed that it could come together and dominate. We should be building on that, instead of reverting back to last year's self-destructive crapola.

Same as sitting a 4th liner. The Habinsideout podcast was going crazy over Carbo sitting a 4th liner, Koivu not saying Bonjour, now Kovy points out a mistake and it is a controversy. I love Begin, but come on.

The media in this town is not satisfied unless the cup is parading down St. Catherines.

Same as sitting a 4th liner. The Habinsideout podcast was going crazy over Carbo sitting a 4th liner, Koivu not saying Bonjour, now Kovy points out a mistake and it is a controversy. I love Begin, but come on.

The media in this town is not satisfied unless the cup is parading down St. Catherines.

Yes. But Carbo is now being tested again. Hickey (who I never liked) wrote in today's Gazette that he's alienating Begin through poor communication. Now the whole Kovalev genie is out of the bottle once more.

If I were Carbonneau, I'd head this off at the pass: call a team meeting, emphasize that what Kovy said is no big deal - maybe even invite a bit of discussion over the overall coaching strategy, whether the players are comfortable with it (that's how I tend to run my operations and it works fine, you know); and generally clear the air by explaining (as Carbo said on RDS before last night's game) that sitting out is not always a criticism, but rather an attempt to give everyone a chance to contribute.

If Carbo really does NOT have a problem communicating, now might be a good time to show it.

Yes. But Carbo is now being tested again. Hickey (who I never liked) wrote in today's Gazette that he's alienating Begin through poor communication. Now the whole Kovalev genie is out of the bottle once more.

If I were Carbonneau, I'd head this off at the pass: call a team meeting, emphasize that what Kovy said is no big deal - maybe even invite a bit of discussion over the overall coaching strategy, whether the players are comfortable with it (that's how I tend to run my operations and it works fine, you know); and generally clear the air by explaining (as Carbo said on RDS before last night's game) that sitting out is not always a criticism, but rather an attempt to give everyone a chance to contribute.

If Carbo really does NOT have a problem communicating, now might be a good time to show it.

Carbo still has a lot to prove to me. I am on the fence still. Not sure if he is going to learn and get better.

I hope he does. Just not sure if he will.

And Carbonneau blames KRex for the loss and the pentalty that caused the goal. Last time I looked "Joke of a Coach Carbonneau", a 1-1 tie in regulation time is a tie, not a loss. Man I cannot stand carbonneau at all after this latest brain fart he had. This team has no offensive plays as their coach is stuck in defense mode.

Before everyone jumps down Kovalevs throat, look at who he is dealing with.......

You are right in principle.

If we look at the things that were said (or not said :rolleyes: ), this has the stench of something much bigger.

You know, one area in which the Habs really aren't all that great as an organization is in communicating with the fans. Why doesn't Carbo get up and explain why he didn't call a time out? What would be so catastrophic about that?

I live in the Vancouver area and I'll say this about the Canuckleheads: their GM is on the local sports radio station once a week answering fans' questions, and coach Vigneualt (who I always liked) seems pretty forthright in answering media inquiries.

I respect Gainey's need for privacy and all, but sometimes I do feel the Habs are behind the times. In this day and age, relative openness is probably the best policy. Anything else merely fuels speculation, resentment, and hysteria.

OneSharpMarble... your're right. Carbonneau seems to be a condescending prick. He thinks he can do no wrong, and seems to have a hard time admitting that he *can* do any wrong.

I know a lot of you guys think Carbonneau is a good/great coach, but I don't. He just keeps making stupid decision after stupid decision. Yeah, he was a good player, but I really don't think he knows what he's doing as a coach. I think he's just taking blind/illogical stabs at changing the lineup in HOPES that something will magically work... so he can then be praised as a GENIUS.

Gimme a coach that will make sensible, well-calculated moves... and not alienate players by being an arsehole at the same time.

Well I'll defend Carbo a bit. He is right, a dumb penalty cost them the game. I don't know if anyone has noticed, the more he calls people out or gets mad with a loss the closer they play to a 60 minute game. When was the last time the Habs played such a great hard working game. It's been years.

He trusts certain people on the ice in certain situations, just because the fans don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad decision.

Whne was the last time the habs outshot 4 out of 6 opponants? Years i'm guessing.

Carbo brings what i said the team needs, hard work and dicipline. That's what he is delivering.

Young teams lose close games, they learn from them and they get better. Sure the scoring stinks right now but the D zone looks very good, so does the effort, shots on goal and transition game.

I actually like this team, they are way better then the years past. If you guys want them getting outshot every night 40 to 20, and hope they win 1 nothing it's not going to happen. Perhaps you all enjoyed them playing in there own end all night, I don't.

So they lost a tough game, get over it, they are playing way better then in the past.

By the way, Kovalev should kep his yap shut, he had a chance to put one away and didn't.

What a condescending prick, heaven forbid he admits he messed up.

Everyone is frustrated because they all know they should have won that game maybe this will make them a little hungrier. K rex took a stupid penalty and I think he would tell you that. Carbo could have called for a time out if there was a face off, but I did not notice a whole lot of those in the last 2 minutes. As to what Carbo said he is trying to not get a big fight going with Kovy he is trying to diffuse the issue, but Osm let's be honest you have been calling for him to get fired since the day he got hired so i really don't think it matters to you what he said, he is wrong in your opinion.

Right or wrong, it was Kovy who had a chance to keep the game alive in the shootout. There's plenty of blame to go around. Keep the press out of it.

How he has handled Carey Price...etc etc

Huet is the starter, Price is the backup. Price is hardly getting the shaft from Carbo.

Well I'll defend Carbo a bit. He is right, a dumb penalty cost them the game. I don't know if anyone has noticed, the more he calls people out or gets mad with a loss the closer they play to a 60 minute game. When was the last time the Habs played such a great hard working game. It's been years.

He trusts certain people on the ice in certain situations, just because the fans don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad decision.

Whne was the last time the habs outshot 4 out of 6 opponants? Years i'm guessing.

Carbo brings what i said the team needs, hard work and dicipline. That's what he is delivering.

Young teams lose close games, they learn from them and they get better. Sure the scoring stinks right now but the D zone looks very good, so does the effort, shots on goal and transition game.

I actually like this team, they are way better then the years past. If you guys want them getting outshot every night 40 to 20, and hope they win 1 nothing it's not going to happen. Perhaps you all enjoyed them playing in there own end all night, I don't.

So they lost a tough game, get over it, they are playing way better then in the past.

By the way, Kovalev should kep his yap shut, he had a chance to put one away and didn't.

yeah I would say that is a fair assesment

Game thread for Ottawa not up yet, so I didn't know where else to put this so... lineup from practice today via habsinsideout.com:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kovalev

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kostopoulos

Bégin/Chipchura-Smolisnski-Dandenault

If this is what we're going to Ottawa with, I really really don't like the 3rd line. I don't understand why Carbo insists on playing Plex with 2 slow players. I actually didn't mind the third line last game and heaven forbid leaving the line up the same for 2 games in a row (or almost the same - one or two changes wouldn't be a big deal but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th have all been altered) and let the players find some chemistry. They played a REALLY good game yesterday and hit a hot goalie. Smoke with Plex and Kovy was a good second line. Kosty with Grabs and Kostopoulous was actually a good third line. If you really want to, put lats back in their without changing the ENTIRE thing. He could have played on the 4th in place of Murray...

Give them a chance to try the same lineup again, please.....