Shocking Souray News

Mr. Nasty

Well he's not the only Oiler vet who is struggling, that team is being carried by rookies right now.

Huge loss for Edmonton.

Yep, and they deserve it. Not the fans, but the org. I'm not a fan of Brian Burke and I'm not siding with him but the Penner signing was dumb IMO, the Souray signing was dumb IMO. Pitkanen is showing signs of being a problematic ego player. So, that's questionable too. Lowe has lost 3 picks for Penner? And Smitty is Rocky Mountain High. Heart and soul Jason Smith is Flying somewhere else.

There are of course pluses in some of the moves that Lowe made but I won't bother with that. This is a negative post. Maybe I'll defend Lowe another day.

I mean, one minute they are rebuilding with getting a 2007 draft pick if Anaheim wins the cup (Pronger trade) then turn around and dump 3 picks for Penner? Rebuilding? Winning now? Which is it? Not really sure where Lowe is going with this team? :unsure:

We may get concerned over Gainey from time to time but I'll take him over this!

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I feel bad for Shelly but one of the knocks against him was that he is injury prone. i am glad we did not sign him at the insane $ the oil offered. I think I would rather have Roman who is +2 with 1 pt in 5 games than shelly who is -3 with 2 points. It looks like shelly could be well on his way to another -25 season when he recovers.

:( I feel bad for Sheldon. I was hoping he'd have an OK season injury free. I don't want us to get screwed on the deal or anything but it's not like I hate the guy. I do really dislike Craig McTavish and Kevin Lowe though.

I love what Lowe did this offseason. If you're gonna have an RFA system, you might as well use it.
Three firsts in 2008 for a guy who Getzlaf made look better than he is? Vanek made sense but Penner is silly. I'm not mad at Lowe for using a system that is in place. But, if you'rer going to do this and tie up $4.5 in cap and dump precious picks - do it on someone better than Penner. 6GP 1G 1A -1 WITH THE SUPERSTAR SHOT PERCENTAGE AT 6.3%

LOL

In Penner's defence there aren't many Oil in the plus catagory. :lol:

Yeha but why offer that much for a player not worth half of that.

Yes, especially since in the past he's bitched and moaned about how the smal market team he's managing can't compete. Then he goes on to make a couple of moves (the offer to Vanek, signing Penner) that will further inflate salaries... :wacko:

Some of you guys just don't get it. He's an RFA which means Burke can still match. If you just offer the kid what his market value is, the other GM will just match it anyway and you'll just of wasted everyones time. If you really want to add the player (and Lowe seemed dead set on adding a young kid through RFA) then you have to up the ante and make it a hard decision for the other GM. Just look at the RFA offer Sakic got in 1999. A premier talent but he wasn't worth what the Rangers were willing to pony up (not just yet anyway), with the salary and signing bonus combined it set a record for most money earned in one year by an athlete. Thats crazy but the Rangers wanted Sakic and had to make it hard on Lacroix on whether to match. I don't get Burke's or anyone else's whining, everyone acts like using the RFA system is against the rules or something. It was in the CBA when everyone agreed to it, everyone knew it was there. They just got mad they were caught sleeping with their young guys.

ALTHOUGH...I'm with AC on his comments and I believe I said it at the time, Penner is just far too absurd of a choice, especially when Lowe still could've gone after Zajac. I don't get why people crap on Lowe for doing his job though, I'm glad the Oilers extended his contract.

Holy crap, I didn't intend on writing that much. :P

Get well Shelly!! I have no hard feelings at all, you played hard for the Habs while you were here + you signed in Edm where nobody was going to sign. Shelly is a true Canadian for life.

There seems to be some confusion.

i am glad we did not sign him at the insane $ the oil offered.

Bob offered Souray the exact same contract he accepted in Edm. Shelly said no to play the market. Bob couldnt wait and had to sign somebody while there was players out there to be signed and got Hamrlik with the exact same contract offer.

Some of you guys just don't get it. He's an RFA which means Burke can still match. If you just offer the kid what his market value is, the other GM will just match it anyway and you'll just of wasted everyones time.

How do you figure though? Are you trying to suggest that every player is paid what they are worth? :lol:

Am I the only one who remembers the year before when Bobby Clarke tried to pick up a Vancouver player, which Van matched the offer. Van was pissed off because they didnt want to pay that player anywhere near that, he was worth it or they obviously wouldnt have matched. After Van matched Phillys offer, they then had that much less cap room which they werent thrilled aboot at all. At the trade deadline Van wasnt able to pick up a impact player because of the large raise that Philly gave Vans player. :P (I just have 0 clue why Philly did that to Van, and not a team in their own division/conference - would have made more sense)

Three firsts in 2008 for a guy who Getzlaf made look better than he is?

umm, that must be a typo, I highly doubt Edm has 3 1st round picks in 08. :D Also, I think there is some CBA rule confusion too. Penner only makes 4.3 mil/yr. Isnt the RFA rules 5+ mil/yr = 4 1st rnd picks? I dont believe Edm has to give up 4 1st rnd picks for Penner. Isnt it more like 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd?

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

How do you figure though? Are you trying to suggest that every player is paid what they are worth? :lol:

Not at all. I'm saying with the format GMs are given, you need to make it a difficult decision for the other GM. Obviously Penner is a guy Burke wanted to keep around. So if Lowe offers Penner what he's actually worth, then it's a no-brainer for Burke to match it and Lowe walks away with nothing. Since Lowe gave Penner more then his worth, it became an actual decision for Burke while Lowe achieved his goal of acquring Penner.

Keep in mind, I do agree Penner is severely overpaid and think if Lowe wanted to offer that kind of money, he would've been better suited to go after Zajac.

umm, that must be a typo, I highly doubt Edm has 3 1st round picks in 08. :D Also, I think there is some CBA rule confusion too. Penner only makes 4.3 mil/yr. Isnt the RFA rules 5+ mil/yr = 4 1st rnd picks? I dont believe Edm has to give up 4 1st rnd picks for Penner. Isnt it more like 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd?

I seem to remember it being a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2008.

Exactly, force a GM to make a difficult decision. Especially when the GM wasnt planning on making any decision at all.

Just suppose Higgins was a RFA and somebody made a 5 year 25 mil offer? Higgins is worth 5 mil/year, and for sure Bob wants to keep him. However Bob wanted Higgins and Kovalev but now he cant afford both. i.e. somebody that was in "the Plan" now has to go in order to keep Higgins. So does Bob decide to buy out Kovalev to keep Higgins? or let Higgins walk and take the draft picks? Either way would be bad for the Habs so its not pointless at all even if the team matches an RFA offer sheet.

Habs fans bashing Lowe for making RFA offers is hypocritical. Sabers might still have Vanek, but their offer wasnt pointless at all. Edm offer on Vanek helps the Habs, and every team in the Eastern conference. ex. Vanek probably would have resigned for 3 mil/yr, leaving Sabers 4+ million to spend on say Danny Markov @ 4 mil/yr. Buffalo being closer to the cap helps the Habs. :clap:

Burke not matching Lowes offer doesnt nescessarily mean Burke thought it was too much $. Maybe Burke didnt want to start juggling other players, forced to do buy outs etc in order to keep Penner. Though I agree Penner is probably overpaid, it doesnt instantly mean that simply because the offer wasnt matched.

Do the picks really all need to be the same year though? Isnt it spread out so its 1 pick/year? How exactly would a team give up 4 1st round picks in 1 draft? :huh:

Oilers place Souray on injured reserve

Edmonton, AB (Sports Network) - The Edmonton Oilers placed defenseman Sheldon Souray on injured reserve Wednesday.

The club will be without their prized free-agent acquisition for 3-to-4 weeks after he sustained a separated left shoulder.

The injury occurred as Souray, who signed a five-year contract in the summer, fell to the ice during a third-period fight with Vancouver's Byron Ritchie in on October 13.

A native of Elk Point, Alberta, Souray enjoyed a career year last season for the Montreal Canadiens after scoring 26 goals and picking up 38 assists. Nineteen of his 26 goals came on the power play, setting a new NHL record for power play goals by a defenseman.

This season, the backliner posted just one goal and one assist in six games before being sidelined.

Edmonton has recalled defenseman Ladislav Smid from Springfield of the American Hockey League to take Souray's place. Smid picked up three goals and 10 points in 77 games last season for the Oilers.

I seem to remember it being a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2008.
Now, see what I get for sneaking posts on to HW when at work? It wasn't a typo, I just had to get it in fast. I realized the error and thought..."oh well, meh"

:lol:

On another note, I will give Lowe the benefit of the doubt. I choose now to reserve judgement. Let's see what he does as a follow up plan. I still am confused about Souray though. The direction that this team appears to be heading contradicts the acquisition. Souray would be a powerful component on a contender. By the time Edmonton finds its feet, Souray probably won't be in the mix.

Now, see what I get for sneaking posts on to HW when at work? It wasn't a typo, I just had to get it in fast. I realized the error and thought..."oh well, meh"

:lol:

On another note, I will give Lowe the benefit of the doubt. I choose now to reserve judgement. Let's see what he does as a follow up plan. I still am confused about Souray though. The direction that this team appears to be heading contradicts the acquisition. Souray would be a powerful component on a contender. By the time Edmonton finds its feet, Souray probably won't be in the mix.

Well it's kind of like what the panel on TSN were saying during the Avs/Oilers game on Tuesday which I kind of agreed with. Lowe seems to of made his mind up that he's going to rebuild but he doesn't actually want to say it. So he's throwing some of these little moves out there so it doesn't look like he's rebuilding (such as signing Souray). I think that helped push Smyth out of town, I don't think stalled contract negotiations had anything to do with that deal. Lowe just decided he wanted to rebuild and Ryan Smyth wasn't in his plans. Thats why he's spending the same kind of money on what he perceives to be a younger guy in the mould of Ryan Smyth (Dustin Penner).

If you look at the crop of young players he's accumulated though, we could be in for a few years in the future of Oiler/Penguins Stanley Cup Finals. He's done a great job and I'd be a little more worried if the Avs didn't have some great prospects as well.