Game Thread | Montreal vs. Ottawa | 10/18/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave Koivu on the first with Higgins. Their chemistry is just incredible.

Are you forgetting the end of last season Kostitsyn Plekanec and Higgins almost put the Habs in the playoffs.

Are you forgetting the end of last season Kostitsyn Plekanec and Higgins almost put the Habs in the playoffs.

Yah...Carbo is not very smart in that aspect. We are having a terrible time putting the puck in the net right now. I think his idea of changing it up is right, but the formations he's brought thus far are mediocre at best.

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Kosty-Pleks-Higgins

Latendresse-Smoke-Lapierre

Begin-Chipchura-Grabovski

Lets say the hell with the "grinders" for once, and go with an all out offensive team!

I was amazed at his movement when I went to the Calder Cup Finals. He makes it look so easy. It was even hammered home more when I saw Fleury have to shuffle across the crease last week. He is huge, smooth, competitive and has a great temperment. Once he begins to get a book on NHL shooters the scale will begin to tip in his favour.

He is going to struggle at times this year, but I have no doubt he is ready for this level.

Yeah he has very good sliding control already. Compare it to another highly-touted big goalie (Garon), its a big difference.

And with his size, even when he's crouching there's almost no room to roof the puck above his shoulders or blocker hand.

And think that in a few years, he should have Komisarek, O'Byrne, Fisher, McDonaugh and Carle playing in front of him. Not necessarily a fun defense to play against.

Yeah he has very good sliding control already. Compare it to another highly-touted big goalie (Garon), its a big difference.

And with his size, even when he's crouching there's almost no room to roof the puck above his shoulders or blocker hand.

And think that in a few years, he should have Komisarek, O'Byrne, Fisher, McDonaugh and Carle playing in front of him. Not necessarily a fun defense to play against.

well, 2009-2010 could look like Hamrlik, Markov, Komisarek, O'Byrne, McDonaugh and Streit/Fisher (Subban, Carle, etc)

If everything goes right, that could be one of the best Habs defense ever.

well, 2009-2010 could look like Hamrlik, Markov, Komisarek, O'Byrne, McDonaugh and Streit/Fisher (Subban, Carle, etc)

If everything goes right, that could be one of the best Habs defense ever.

Whoa, there, young feller! Let's not get carried away. I'll settle for the best defence since 1993, thank you very much.

Lets say the hell with the "grinders" for once, and go with an all out offensive team!

YES!

Great D against Florida...err...how about that D?

14 goals in 6 games - only Wash and Rags are worse (by a goal). Each team has a player that will total one of our top two lines by the end of the season.

We have the goalie(s?) to allow us to attack more often. Huet is great so far. ATTACK fer crissakes! Score some bloody goals and get some confidence flowing.

1. I don't think it's fair to accuse Gillett of not giving a "phoque" about being a contender. He said That BG can spend as much as he wants on UFAs. As an owner, what else can he do?

2. Moreover, taxes aren't an issue. Several players said that recently, including Maxime Talbot this week. The problem has been discussed over and over: we have to have a better team to land a superstar UFA.

3. When you feel depressed, look back at the 2000-2001 stats. Our scoring leader was Oleg Petrov, with an "impressive" 17-20-47 :blush: I think we have a better team now... B)

1. An owner who really cared would put more pressure on the organization to improve. This team has not improved one iota in the last three years (based on their playoff performance). I honestly don't think the owner cares as long as the team sells out every one of its games. Look at George Steinbrenner. You might not like him nor his tactics, but he cares and it shows.

2.I think that you are wrong when it comes to free agents. You seem to think that they will come if we have a better team. Yet Michele Briere refused Montréal and went to an even worse team, Philadelphia. Jacques Lemaire preferred to coach an expansion team rather than Montréal. We have a serious problem when it comes to free agents and we need a general manager who can overcome these problems. I think it's harder to be a general manager in Montréal than any other city in the NHL for the reasons I stated in my previous post.

3. It's been 14 years since we won a Stanley Cup. In all that time, we've either just made the playoffs or just missed the playoffs. 14 years of extreme mediocrity. And from where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like it's going to get any better this year. We've become the new Hartford Whalers. We almost always give you a tough game, but we only win about half of them.

- Jack

2.I think that you are wrong when it comes to free agents. You seem to think that they will come if we have a better team. Yet Michele Briere refused Montréal and went to an even worse team, Philadelphia. Jacques Lemaire preferred to coach an expansion team rather than Montréal. We have a serious problem when it comes to free agents and we need a general manager who can overcome these problems. I think it's harder to be a general manager in Montréal than any other city in the NHL for the reasons I stated in my previous post.

The Flyers a worse team? You mean the team who aquired Biron, Timonen (former Predator's captain), Jason Smith (former Oilers' captain), Lupul (former 7th overall pick), and Hartnell (former 6th overall pick)? The Flyers made serious moves (trades with Buffalo, Nashville and Edmonton) prior to july 1st that made them a better team. Brière didn't chose a worse team.

Yes, I think that UFA will come if we have a better team.

I agree it is hard to be GM in Mtl tho.

3. It's been 14 years since we won a Stanley Cup. In all that time, we've either just made the playoffs or just missed the playoffs. 14 years of extreme mediocrity. And from where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like it's going to get any better this year. We've become the new Hartford Whalers. We almost always give you a tough game, but we only win about half of them.

- Jack

Man, imagine if we were all on a Coyote's board or Leafs board or even St-Louis or Vancouver. Canucks improved, but i don't see them win the cup for another 3-4 years...

Older people have to calm the game down about counting the years between Stanley Cups. This is no 70's no more, we don't have the first look at french canadian superstars and there is no more 16 teams in the league.

Man, imagine if we were all on a Coyote's board or Leafs board or even St-Louis or Vancouver. Canucks improved, but i don't see them win the cup for another 3-4 years...

Older people have to calm the game down about counting the years between Stanley Cups. This is no 70's no more, we don't have the first look at french canadian superstars and there is no more 16 teams in the league.

Yeah, but we haven't even been close. Reminds me of the Yankees in the years just before Steinbrenner took over, and also during the time he was in jail...

- Jack