Season Thread | Montreal Canadiens | 2007-08

Cataclaw

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'd also win "Worst Fans" in terms of jumping on our own players though, too.

While I'm at it, I reckon we're also in the running for "Worst Captain". Let's trade Saku already.

:P

We're hearing a lot these days about how phenomenal the atmosphere in the Bell Centre is. That's because a) it is huge b) the team is ace and c) there is NO city on earth where fans care as much about their hockey team. And I don't mean to slag Toronto or other great hockey cities when I say that. The Montreal Canadiens are embedded in the identity and folklore of that province and that city - from Rocket Richard carrying the hope of an oppressed French Canadian people on his shoulders, to the team serving as a glorious unifying force in a town profoundly divided by politics and culture - in a manner unrivalled anywhere else in hockey.

What's driven me crazy about UFAs is how few of them could see the potential. (Look at Briere, missing out - fortunately for us - on the chance to be part of this). Yes, if the team is average or sucks, Montreal can be soul-crushingly tough. But if the team is good, Montreal offers players an opportunity to experience something unsurpassed in sport, something truly mythic.

Too bad the idiots, by which I mean both players and media, lost sight of that magic during our dark years.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

We're hearing a lot these days about how phenomenal the atmosphere in the Bell Centre is. That's because a) it is huge b) the team is ace and c) there is NO city on earth where fans care as much about their hockey team. And I don't mean to slag Toronto or other great hockey cities when I say that. The Montreal Canadiens are embedded in the identity and folklore of that province and that city - from Rocket Richard carrying the hope of an oppressed French Canadian people on his shoulders, to the team serving as a glorious unifying force in a town profoundly divided by politics and culture - in a manner unrivalled anywhere else in hockey.

What's driven me crazy about UFAs is how few of them could see the potential. (Look at Briere, missing out - fortunately for us - on the chance to be part of this). Yes, if the team is average or sucks, Montreal can be soul-crushingly tough. But if the team is good, Montreal offers players an opportunity to experience something unsurpassed in sport, something truly mythic.

Too bad the idiots, by which I mean both players and media, lost sight of that magic during our dark years.

It is an amazing experience to go to a game in Montreal. Even the most ardent Leaf fans will admit that it is better than the ACC.

(Look at Briere, missing out - fortunately for us - on the chance to be part of this).

Thank the Hockey gods for not letting briere sign with us. Can you imagine paying 10 million$ per season for a guy who has 59 points?

I was never a Brière fan. I said it often enough, he is not what the Habs need. He's too small. We need bigger forwards!

On the terms of fans and PRESSURE interesting to note what Brodeur said about Price after the game and how he ackowledges he has a bright future ahead of him.... the only question remained if he could hold up to the pressure that Montreal has... source RDS

a little sore loser perhaps but indeed shows his belief that Montreal as a club is too hot to handle to play here

Edited by CoRvInA

• 2 weeks later...

Woo!

We can clinch the division with a pair of wins against Buffalo and Toronto, or, losing both games, a regulation defeat of the Sens on Tuesday.

:( but the Pens won tonight, and it was their goons who got it done (Jaarko Ruutu and Georges Laraque). It seems that the Pens have realised that they can put anyone on skates with Evgeni Malkin, and he'll find a way to get the puck in the net.

I wonder what it would cost to trade for him, ala Lindros...

Woo!

We can clinch the division with a pair of wins against Buffalo and Toronto, or, losing both games, a regulation defeat of the Sens on Tuesday.

:( but the Pens won tonight, and it was their goons who got it done (Jaarko Ruutu and Georges Laraque). It seems that the Pens have realised that they can put anyone on skates with Evgeni Malkin, and he'll find a way to get the puck in the net.

I wonder what it would cost to trade for him, ala Lindros...

I'm not too worried that the Pens beat the Isles. Don't forget that the Isles beat them the other day so it balances out. The Pens should have won both to be worthy of Conference champ status. It bodes well that perhaps a negative W-L pattern might come from this for them. BTW: I can't explain it because they should - but, Pittsburgh doesn't scare me.

Anyway, it's us that are in control of our own destiny :hlogo:

Two and a half wins and we knock off Ottawa (who I'm hoping will fall to sixth, to play the Canes.

Three and a half wins and we knock off Pittsburgh.

21 wins and ... I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

OT - Pens leading Philly 3-2 going into the 3rd. Feisty playoff type OLD TIME HOCKEY game. :)

Been watching the whole game - what stuff! I hope these two meet in the 1st round and tear each other apart.

I really do not believe the Flyers will make it.

They defintely have the toughest schedule moving forward, so I wouldn't be surprised. But still, they'd be my pick to prey on the Pens. Then again, a Washington/Pittsburgh series is interesting for obvious reasons. :)

If the Flyers won tonight, Ottawa would have been bumped to 7th place, all but guaranteeing a first round date with us.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. If they get going, we could really be in trouble.

Ideally, I'd love to see the Sens face off against Pittsburgh in the first round, 1v8, and we take Boston at 2v7. Canes, Devils, Rangers and Flyers can duke it out amongst each other, and we'll take Carolina in round two.

Damn. I hate those Canes. Especially now they have Williams back. Too bad Koivu wouldn't be back to have Justin take another swing.

Edit: Knuble takes a questionable penalty and Crosby seals it. Lucky for me he's in my pool. But should we fail to get a point tomorrow night, it'll be time to start cheering for Boston or Philly to finish 7th, Ottawa to stay above that, and Washington to stay below.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

I just want to emphasize what a truly extraordinary experience this season this has been. Everyone following this team should cherish their memories of this astounding 2007-08 edition of the Habs. We have been in the darkness for too long, and to have all the elements come together this way - all the long-promised young talent suddenly materialize so wonderfully, all at the same time, while veterans like Kovalev and Hamrlik led the way - is a remarkable thing. And we did it in true canadiens style, an explosive offensive dynamo with lots of style, pizazz and excitement.

In fact, I can't think of a regular season in my lifetime that's been this magical (maybe the Koivu cancer year, but that was more about personal tragedy/triumph than the team on the ice). Even in 1993, the season itself was nowhere near as divinely favoured as this. I hope all the young fans on this board truly appreciate how lucky we are to have been able to witness the restoration of the Montreal Canadiens, the greatest organization in the history of the sport, to its rightful place as a tremendous NHL franchise - one that I believe will be a contender for years to come. These guys did not let us down this season, not once.

In Bob we trusted, and he's delivered the foundation. Next step: can we win it all? Time will tell, but for God's sake, enjoy the ride.

Thanks, Bob. :clap::clap::clap:

IT'S ILLEGAL TO CUT AND PASTE ENTIRE ARTICLES.

FFS!

JUST POST THE LINK AND THE FIRST FEW PARAGRAPHS AND LEAVE IT AT THAT! OTHERWISE HW CAN GET CAUGHTON COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AND BE SHUT DOWN AND IT'S YOUR HOUSE (OR YOUR MOM'S, OR BOTH) THAT WILL GET RAIDED IF US ANGRY HABS FANS LOSE OUR BOARD.

IT'S ILLEGAL TO CUT AND PASTE ENTIRE ARTICLES.

FFS!

JUST POST THE LINK AND THE FIRST FEW PARAGRAPHS AND LEAVE IT AT THAT! OTHERWISE HW CAN GET CAUGHTON COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AND BE SHUT DOWN AND IT'S YOUR HOUSE (OR YOUR MOM'S, OR BOTH) THAT WILL GET RAIDED IF US ANGRY HABS FANS LOSE OUR BOARD.

Fixed.

Our guys are coming into the playoffs on a high. Komi is coming back (please not too soon!) Smoke and Plek will take some extra faceoffs for the 2nd line (something our centres need to continue to work on). Carbo and his kids will not take Boston lightly. They have known that the Bruins have a chip on thier shoulder for a while now, and come out hard every time. The way for this team to win is use speed and Attack Attack Attack. I am so pumped.

I have to work a lot during the playoffs, and I get off shift right in the middle of the game, so I am going to buy a portable Xm radio with portable antenna today. Any opinions on these things? Which one to buy. Dead zones etc...