• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...c6a&k=35687

Habs sharpen up for Sabres

By PAT HICKEY

Which Buffalo Sabres team will show up to play the Canadiens tonight?

Will it be the Sabres who scored 18 goals in a three-game winning streak that ended last night?

Or will it be the Sabres team that disappointed the hometown fans last night by dropping a 3-0 decision to the Columbus Blue Jackets?

Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek said it doesn't make much difference as long as the Canadiens play their game and make a statement.

"We play these guys a bunch of times, so it's important that we get off to a good start against these guys and show that we're a better team than we were last year," Komisarek said after the Canadiens practised in Verdun yesterday.

"They scored 18 goals in three games, but we played a pretty good offensive game (in Ottawa Thursday) and nothing has changed," Komisarek said. "We have to play solid defensively. We're right there. We're on the verge of winning games. We've made mistakes, but we have to concentrate on the good things we've done."

Assessing the Canadiens' season to date can be a tricky proposition. An optimist could say the team is playing .500 hockey after three games.

A pessimist could counter by saying the Canadiens have lost twice as many games (four) as they've won, and are only at .500 in the standings because the NHL awards a point to the losing team if it gets to overtime.

The Canadiens have been on the verge of winning - and losing - in each of their six games. They have won twice by one goal and lost three games by one goal. They lost 3-1 to Carolina, but the final goal was an empty-netter.

Coach Guy Carbonneau has also tried to focus on the positives, but he points to mistakes made at the wrong time as the source of the Canadiens' problems.

But while the defensive mistakes have been costly, the Canadiens might have fared better with more offence. The Canadiens have been outscored 17-14 overall and 11-6 in even-strength situations.

Carbonneau has been juggling lines - he has used 11 combinations - and Alex Kovalev has had five linemates. He has five points, but all but one of them has been produced on the power play.

Carbonneau said yesterday that his goal tonight (7 p.m., RDS, CJAD Radio-800) is to find four lines and stick with them - "that's the way I played" - but so far, finding lines that click has been a problem. The only line that has been together the entire season is the No. 1 line of Christopher Higgins, Saku Koivu and Michael Ryder. The line has combined for 55 shots on goal, but has scored only four goals and only once at even-strength.

Buffalo lost a chunk of offence when free-agents Daniel Brière and Chris Drury moved on.

The Sabres opened the season with back-to-back losses to the Islanders, and then beat Atlanta (6-0),Washington (7-3) and Toronto (5-4) before running into Pascal Leclaire last night.

He posted his third shutout, but the Sabres made it easy by firing only 21 shots at him.

Canadiens' Cristobal Huet will try to add to the Sabres' frustration tonight.

"They lost some key guys, but they still have guys like (Thomas) Vanek and Derek Roy," Komisarek said. "They've had some depth the past couple of years."

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2007

45607-14359.jpg

Great game thread as usual Spider-Man. I really dig those wavy/flashy team logos!

Here's my obligatory GO HABS GO

And here's to hoping for a sustained effort, as has been the case these past few games, but this time.. with a positive W to show for it!

"Carbonneau said yesterday that his goal tonight is to find four lines and stick with them - "that's the way I played" - but so far, finding lines that click has been a problem. The only line that has been together the entire season is the No. 1 line of Christopher Higgins, Saku Koivu and Michael Ryder."

Took you long enough.

Now teams might start to play their back-ups against us, considering our 'offence'.

Oh well...bury the blunts. Maybe T-Bo will wake our offence up.

GO HABS!

I hope other teams do exactly that. If our offence ever gets any confidence we will be awesome

Let's go "Lobber". He's known as the "Hammer" but his lobbing skills rank with the defensive elite (IMO) of the NHL as far as the offensive quarterback D is concerned. He lobs it in such a way that it knuckleballs. The last time it happened was against Florida. Hammer lobbed it, that created confusion and a scramble and Kovy took out the trash.

:clap:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

François Gagnon says that Lats will play with Kovy and Grabs on the second and Kosts is demoted to the third. Carbo said that Kosts doesn't play with the same anger and determination that last year

Sure, he was playing with both guys with the biggest anger and determination on the team : Higgins and Plex.

Kots not playing with the same anger :wacko:

He is not playing with the right players period.

The line is Higgins-Plek-Kots, Plek look lost just the same by playing with Kovalev.

There are players that can't play together and Kots and Plek cannot play with Kovalev.

Why not blame Smolinski for being clueless with the puck and throw it away causing

us problems. We miss Bonk a lot. For Kostopolos and Smolinski salaries we could have

kept him, that is coach and general manager mistakes.

No Carbo prefer to put the blame on youngster and mix him with the garbages that we picked

last summer.

We miss Bonk a lot.
How do we know that something wasn't wrong with Bonk? Look at Joni Pitkanen. He goes to the Oilers and now several members of the Flyers as well as Desjardins have been quoted that Pitkanen is a problematic baby. Even a fellow countryman (Kapenen) was annoyed with him.

Before Pitkanen left Philly, did any of us know this?

any idea on starting lineups?

nevermind

they look pretty good

do you have a source on that pitkanen info?...but let's not get too off topic, depending on how off-topic these threads usually get

also, looking up bonk, he leads his team in plus minus after 6 games with a 2, even though they've lost four in a row, a couple of them pretty badly

Edited by blicemj

WOW! You guy miss Radek Bonk WTF!!! :wacko:

Seriously, Smokes isn't meeting expectations, but Bonk wasn't either. To have Bonk OR Smokes as a third line center shows how week your team is on C.

Face it, the only reason why we miss Bonk is because we are very week at C.

He is not good. Nor is Smokes.

Did I miss something? Was Bonk that good?

WOW! You guy miss Radek Bonk WTF!!! :wacko:

Seriously, Smokes isn't meeting expectations, but Bonk wasn't either. To have Bonk OR Smokes as a third line center shows how week your team is on C.

Face it, the only reason why we miss Bonk is because we are very week at C.

He is not good. Nor is Smokes.

Did I miss something? Was Bonk that good?

I I still doesn't understand why Chipchura isn't playing every night on the 3rd. Give him 5 games and he'll be decent.

I feel for Carbo.. if he picks 4 lines and sticks with them, there will be 500 posts calling for his head because either a) he picked the wrong lines, or B) he failed to adjust his lines if things are not going well.

In any case, the team is primed to beat the Sabres if they play 60 minutes and with discipline. Dumb penalies must stop (looking at you komi).

I feel for Carbo.. if he picks 4 lines and sticks with them, there will be 500 posts calling for his head because either a) he picked the wrong lines, or B) he failed to adjust his lines if things are not going well.

In any case, the team is primed to beat the Sabres if they play 60 minutes and with discipline. Dumb penalies must stop (looking at you komi).

I agree. I remember many post bashing Carbo last season when he stuck with Sammy Pleks and Kovy. Even though they never gelled, he gave them a chance and he was bashed for it.

To make it short we have too many 4th lines, some play on 3rd some on 4th and some are on bench....however we have in my mind better players sitting in the AHL...

I wonder how long they keep kostopoulos on 3rd line while lapierre is waiting in AHL...

Partisan

François Gagnon says that Lats will play with Kovy and Grabs on the second and Kosts is demoted to the third. Carbo said that Kosts doesn't play with the same anger and determination that last year

Oh, that's just swell. Kovy is playing great, so let's try and derail him by saddling him with Gui as a linemate. :angry: