Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs. Penguins de Pittsburgh | 10/27/07

Spider-Man NL

I was worried he might fade after signing a contract that seemed maby a little low after the July 1st signings. No-way Jose!!!!!!.....The man is having a career year. He gets my vote.

the funny thing is that Markov's defensive play has not been as good as last years, while his offensive play his been SOOOO much better. Overall though, it's still fantastic, and we can afford for him not to be the best defensively because we have Hamr back there instead of Souray and Rivet...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the coaches told him he could focus more on his offensive abilities than his defence responsibilities this year because of the supporting cast. Anyways, we have Koivu and Plekanec who are a point a game with Kovalev and Markov a point below - that's great news. Also nice to see Streit and Hamrlik with 6 points in 10 games. We're getting goals from everywhere and considering our next game is against Atlanta (a very weak defence and a backup goalie) that should not change for a while. However, I'm not ecstatic over our play just yet - they have still not mastered the 60-minute game and that will be a big problem if it keeps up.

Another fun fact: Habs have outscored the opposition 14-5 in first periods this year.

Considering his size, poise and past experience -

W in WJC Final

8/8 vs the Penguins

We could be getting one of the best, if not the best, shootout goalie...?

Turning aside 8 shooters is just incredible, especially when you're against Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Recchi, ...

Can someone tell me who the Habs shooters were? I saw Koivu, Markov and Kovalev's shots, heard of Streit's but don't know who took the other four. I'd assume Kostitsyn, Higgins, Plekanec and Gui/Ryder. Also, is there anywhere I can watch the shootout?

If you have the nhl network they showed the whole shootout.

Looks like the same old story, we get a comfortable lead...
Actually, BTH that's not what happened last night. You'd think it was though and had I not seen the game I would have thought the same thing.

The Penguins were hungry due to the loss the the leefs. We had command with the 3 goal lead but Pittsburgh's first 2 goals were pretty. No chance for Price. Both were on the rush - tic-tac-toe style. I wouldn't say we folded as we usual do when we fold. Pittsburgh was coming - furiously and tenaciously in the 3rd.

This is of course my opinion. Cheers

It's really too bad, I missed this game!

Looks like the same old story, we get a comfortable lead but then get too comfortable and surrender a point (while making the game much more entertaining for us fans). I wish the Florida game would have woken them up.

But :clap::clap::clap: I'm so pumped to watch some highlights, but I doubt they show every shot in the shootout.

yahoo showed every shootout attempt in their highlights.

I should add that Sabourin was the s___ last night. I watched him play another game and he's solid. He might even kick Fleury out if this keeps up. IMO, Carbonneau, Muller and Jarvis seemed to outcoach Therrien and his former boss Brother Andre last nigth.

The system is intact and is going to get better. :clap:

I should add that Sabourin was the s___ last night. I watched him play another game and he's solid. He might even kick Fleury out if this keeps up. IMO, Carbonneau, Muller and Jarvis seemed to outcoach Therrien and his former boss Brother Andre last nigth.

The system is intact and is going to get better. :clap:

I noticed Sabourin was pretty good too. Anyone else find the pic of the baby on the side of his mask a bit disturbing though??

I noticed Sabourin was pretty good too. Anyone else find the pic of the baby on the side of his mask a bit disturbing though??

yeah, my friend noted that the hole in the mask made it look like the kid got shot.

Sabourin definitely played well last night. I mean he was able to step it up against a powerhouse team that rocked both Fleury and Ward!

Price was just phenomenal in his first NHL shootout.

I am a huge Price fan but he was far from phenomenal last night. The first goal he once again made a technical error by not protecting his 5 hole with his goal stick. The third goal if he played it like he does 90% of the time and dropped butterfly the shot would have hit him in the chest. As far as the shootout goes I will give him credit for playing big. The Pens shooters looked like when they got deep they had nowhere to shoot. Ruutu, Recchi, Malkin, Gonchar, Armstrong all ran out of real estate and looked like they blew their shot. Sure if Armstrong snaps a perfect shot top shelf instead of missing the net we are talking a different story, but that is what Price is trying to force them to do. That being said, if he faces them in a shootout agains the Pens shooters will not be in the dark and will approach things differently. I think he was solid, but I am not reserving a plaque in the Hall just yet.

As far as him being dominant in the Shootout vs the US. The US scored 4 goals on 7 shots. You generally don't win a shootout when your goalie gives up 4 goals on 7 shots. They abused him low stick side but he gambled 5 hole with Mueller because Mueller had beaten him there in the WHL. It paid off and it was huge.

Carey Price has been impressive so far, and I have really high hopes for him. But people are touting his play like he is dominant, he belongs in the NHL, but he has not even matched Huet this season.

That being said the Habs have upgraded their D, they are working alot harder and Price is a large upgrade on Abby. Let's hope this continues.

I am a huge Price fan but he was far from phenomenal last night. The first goal he once again made a technical error by not protecting his 5 hole with his goal stick. The third goal if he played it like he does 90% of the time and dropped butterfly the shot would have hit him in the chest. As far as the shootout goes I will give him credit for playing big. The Pens shooters looked like when they got deep they had nowhere to shoot. Ruutu, Recchi, Malkin, Gonchar, Armstrong all ran out of real estate and looked like they blew their shot. That being said, if he faces them in a shootout agains the Pens shooters will not be in the dark and will approach things differently. I think he was solid, but I am not reserving a plaque in the Hall just yet.

Carey Price has been impressive so far, and I have really high hopes for him. But people are touting his play like he is dominant, he belongs in the NHL, but he has not even matched Huet this season.

I totally agree with you. He has potential to be great, but the 1st and 3rd goals would have been saves if Huet was in nets. One thing I considered while cursing him after the the Whitney goal was that maybe some of the saves that Price made look easy would have looked like amazing saves if Huet was in. Price's positional play is exceptional. Huet has to move around a little more to make the saves.

I still think I will buy a Price jersey on Friday before I go to the Habs game on Saturday. It's him or Koivu, and I would rather have the jersey of a Canadian player.

I agree with Wamsley01. Price is far from a shootout God, so far anyway. The only shooter who even came close to scoring other than Markov who did score was Koivu. Personally I thought that shootout was pathetic. So many great players in that shootout, but none of them had any great moves. There wasnt really any spectacular saves by either goalie.

The 1st goal Price allowed he should have easily been able to stop with his stick if only had it been in the right spot to cover his 5 hole.

The main thing that concerns me aboot Price though is that am I the only 1 who thinks there is something Garth Snow-esque aboot Price?

I agree with Wamsley01. Price is far from a shootout God, so far anyway. The only shooter who even came close to scoring other than Markov who did score was Koivu. Personally I thought that shootout was pathetic. So many great players in that shootout, but none of them had any great moves. There wasnt really any spectacular saves by either goalie.

The 1st goal Price allowed he should have easily been able to stop with his stick if only had it been in the right spot to cover his 5 hole.

The main thing that concerns me aboot Price though is that am I the only 1 who thinks there is something Garth Snow-esque aboot Price?

I would never compare Price to Snow. Snow had nowhere near the lateral movement that Price has. Price is like a cat side to side.

Snow was a big guy with BIG Equipment.

He has all the tools, but he is adjusting to the speed of the NHL, he is adjusting to life in the NHL. He is just a kid.

He said in the postgame he wish he could have goal 1 and 3 back. I am sure Rollie will be working with him on keeping his stick in position

next practice. He makes things look very easy, he does not make spectacular saves all the time because he is always square to the shooter.

2 years from now he probably keeps his stick down and stops the Sykora shot and ditches the 70s stand up attempt he made on Whitney and preserves a 3-1 win. But he is a work in progress and I understand the excitement, but Huet is playing way better than him right now.

On first glance at the shootout it would be easy to say he got lucky they missed their shots. But when 7 guys come in and have terrible attempts

it means that he beat them cold. His biggest test will be mid season when there is a book on him, then we get to see how he readjusts.

If he makes the right adjustments then we will know he is going to be special.

I still think I will buy a Price jersey on Friday before I go to the Habs game on Saturday. It's him or Koivu, and I would rather have the jersey of a Canadian player.

And Price will be with the CH for much longer than 32 years old Saku...

There's one thing I didn't like in Price's game on saturday: where he's making the save.

I know he's huge, but still, IMHO he is to deep in his net. I've seen him make those saves out of the paint before, in junior & in the AHL.

Maybe it's a confidence thing that will improve be him getting more ice. Right now he's to deep in his net.

I would love that left-handed shot from sykora back as well, that wasn't a good goal.

One thing that really surprised me was how vocal Price was out there. Not bad at all. Not bad at all for a 20-year old kid, and yes I know.. his age shouldn't be talked about.. he's a professionnal hockey player. A professional hockey player on my!! favourite team.. and that makes me very happy!!

:hlogo:

There's one thing I didn't like in Price's game on saturday: where he's making the save.

I know he's huge, but still, IMHO he is to deep in his net. I've seen him make those saves out of the paint before, in junior & in the AHL.

Maybe it's a confidence thing that will improve be him getting more ice. Right now he's to deep in his net.

I would love that left-handed shot from sykora back as well, that wasn't a good goal.

One thing that really surprised me was how vocal Price was out there. Not bad at all. Not bad at all for a 20-year old kid, and yes I know.. his age shouldn't be talked about.. he's a professionnal hockey player. A professional hockey player on my!! favourite team.. and that makes me very happy!!

:hlogo:

It's funny you say that because on the Hot Stove Lounge Burke was saying that he was coming out to far.

I don't think he was too deep in the shootout,if he was then Malkin, Crosby, Recchi and Armstrong would have destroyed him. In the game maybe he was, I was not really looking for it, so I would not argue with you.

As far as his age, I think it is ok to reference that he is just a kid. He is an NHL player, but he has a ton of room to mature and improve.

He is far from a polished product right now.

It's funny you say that because on the Hot Stove Lounge Burke was saying that he was coming out to far.

I don't think he was too deep in the shootout,if he was then Malkin, Crosby, Recchi and Armstrong would have destroyed him. In the game maybe he was, I was not really looking for it, so I would not argue with you.

As far as his age, I think it is ok to reference that he is just a kid. He is an NHL player, but he has a ton of room to mature and improve.

He is far from a polished product right now.

Burke? Brian, Sean,.. Jean Jacques? I'd love to have a conversation with that guy ;)

Burke? Now there's an authority! LMAO! WHat does McGuire say? " Habs should really address their goaler issues and strike a deal with Toronto, say Raycroft for Price." ?

Don't know but these brains of hockey picked us to be non playoff contenders this year and called the Laughs the most improved team in hockey!! I don't take all their comments with a grain oif salt,

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Meh as far as experts go, I respect McGuire above most.

You can only say how a team looks on paper. People were picking the Rangers to dominate with their FA signings, it hasn't happened. Analysts always show their bias, like P.J Stock, he's a habs fan and it showed.

Meh as far as experts go, I respect McGuire above most.

You can only say how a team looks on paper. People were picking the Rangers to dominate with their FA signings, it hasn't happened. Analysts always show their bias, like P.J Stock, he's a habs fan and it showed.

Is that why P.J. Stock often roots against the habs on his radio show?

If anything stock is a Bruins fan who doesn't dislike the Canadiens.

Burke? Now there's an authority! LMAO! WHat does McGuire say? " Habs should really address their goaler issues and strike a deal with Toronto, say Raycroft for Price." ?

Don't know but these brains of hockey picked us to be non playoff contenders this year and called the Laughs the most improved team in hockey!! I don't take all their comments with a grain oif salt,

Well, as much as I think I know about hockey, what type of credibility does a rec league goaltender have disagreeing with a guy who played in the NHL for 20 years and was schooled by Benoit Allaire. I think I will leave that type of analysis to him.

As far as the media's analysis of the Habs in 2007-08 I will bet most of it consisted of this. Where do you think the Habs will finish?

Well, they got rid of Souray. They had the best PP because of him. They lived off their PP. Hence they are going to be worse.

Simplistic nonsense that just goes to show, that just because you have media credentials, does not mean you have a clue.

I have learned to ignore the Leaf-Luvin-Bone-Heads that include Mcguire and the rest of the brainwashed. PJ Stock was a cement head player and 'i cannot stand his show. It is as bad as the Fan590 in toronto.

I have tuned out all the crap this year to just enjoy the Habs and cheer for them to do well. I had the opinion this year the Habs will be bad, as bad as Leafs/Bruins. I was WRONG! This team is fast and can score. They might just make the playoffs and it will be fun to watch them in post season play.

Defense is the only thing that concerns me now, and not just the defenseman but the forwards backchecking. If they can become a good cohesive checking unit as well as score goals then problems solved. Some people are picking on Ryder, however he is playing better 2way hockey now. Kovalev is trying real hard too so that distraction I hope is gone.

Habs beat Pittsburg, ugly or not it was a win and the two points are GOLD

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Is that why P.J. Stock often roots against the habs on his radio show?

If anything stock is a Bruins fan who doesn't dislike the Canadiens.

I don't listen to his show, but from what I heard of him on CBC sat night he was showing a heavy Habs bias.

I don't listen to his show, but from what I heard of him on CBC sat night he was showing a heavy Habs bias.

Well, PJ Stock is from Montreal, played in the Q, played with the Habs, then returned to Montreal and has a show on Montreal radio. He played with the Bruins for 2 seasons. If that makes him a Bruins fan, I guess he is.

Well, PJ Stock is from Montreal, played in the Q, played with the Habs, then returned to Montreal and has a show on Montreal radio. He played with the Bruins for 2 seasons. If that makes him a Bruins fan, I guess he is.

Just tune in his show. He crys about the Habs beating the bruins soundly and has a buddy Bruin fan calls in all the time. He is a Bruin lovin talk show host. Not that there is anything wrong with that, however he is an idiot that thinks Komisarek and Plekanec are not good players. He also thinks guys like Begin should be on the power play?????? Crap talk from cement heads like him makes for bad radio....