Game Thread | Maple Leafs de Toronto vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 11/03/07

Spider-Man NL

Typical :wacko:

By the way BRC, I also agree about Higgins. He's working like crazy!!! I wish he burried more of his chances, but it's not like he's Jan Bulis or anything, so still very good. And 6 goals at this point is not bad at all..

Absolutely. This guy is something special. Great attitude and work ethic. And he's only in his early 20's too! It's amazing. Higgins is going to win over alot of fans (ever more than he already has) in Montreal if he keep this up.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huet is an excellent goalie. But the Leafs seem to get the best of him. It happens - look at Brodeur, who for some reason has a losing career record against those dullards. I think the thing to do is accept it and play Price (or whoever) next time. To go from that to saying Huet should be traded, well :lol:

I've noticed this as well. If Price gets in the next game against the Leafs and steals one? That's it, he's the franchise even if he loses every other game :D

Absolutely. This guy is something special. Great attitude and work ethic. And he's only in his early 20's too! It's amazing. Higgins is going to win over alot of fans (ever more than he already has) in Montreal if he keep this up.

watch though... once Koivu's retired and he gets the C, the clowns'll come out and start attacking him for not speaking French...

Huet is an excellent goalie. But the Leafs seem to get the best of him. It happens - look at Brodeur, who for some reason has a losing career record against those dullards. I think the thing to do is accept it and play Price (or whoever) next time. To go from that to saying Huet should be traded, well :lol:

Posters suggesting a trade are probably doing so in the heat of the moment, not thinking it through. The fact that Huet got beat up high, where the "book" suggests is his weakness, well, you can't defend that.

I've noticed this as well. If Price gets in the next game against the Leafs and steals one? That's it, he's the franchise even if he loses every other game :D

Ha!

But seriously, I think it's a good idea to play Price the next TO game. Some teams just have a goalie's number. Even if Huet's our Number 1, I agree with CC, just accept it and try to get us the most points, so play the guy who has a greater potential of beating them...

Tonight was another example of how the Habs are playing at the level of their opponents. They played down to Atlanta, they played down to the Leafs tonight. Yeah, they hit a couple of posts, and Huet looked a little bit like Patrick Lalime from a certain Sens-Leafs Game 7 a few years ago, but the bottom line is, they lost to a hapless team that is going nowhere.

And you know what, I hate to say it because one day he may be a heck of a hockey player, but Latendresse is useless out there. I've never seen a player not able to receive a crisp pass, or have so many loose pucks roll off his stick than this guy. He's just not there yet.

And just so i don't sound like a negative fan who is jumping ship after one tough loss, I am really impressed with how well this team breaks the puck out of their own end. The CBC did a nice montage of their breakouts, very well done. That has been a point of frustration for me over the years, the Habs have struggled with it. If you don't get that puck out cleanly, you're done.

Tonight was another example of how the Habs are playing at the level of their opponents. They played down to Atlanta, they played down to the Leafs tonight. Yeah, they hit a couple of posts, and Huet looked a little bit like Patrick Lalime from a certain Sens-Leafs Game 7 a few years ago, but the bottom line is, they lost to a hapless team that is going nowhere.

And you know what, I hate to say it because one day he may be a heck of a hockey player, but Latendresse is useless out there. I've never seen a player not able to receive a crisp pass, or have so many loose pucks roll off his stick than this guy. He's just not there yet.

And just so i don't sound like a negative fan who is jumping ship after one tough loss, I am really impressed with how well this team breaks the puck out of their own end. The CBC did a nice montage of their breakouts, very well done. That has been a point of frustration for me over the years, the Habs have struggled with it. If you don't get that puck out cleanly, you're done.

Couldn't agree more on all points.

Wasn't paying close attention to Lats, so I can't say anything about your observations. but the passes, yeah, I've got to wholeheartedly agree, and the playing to the level of the opponents, it's still a problem this year, although less of one than last. But it's a concern. they have to start playing consistently, their game, regardless of who the other team is...

My observations from being at the game tonight.

Latendresse needs to think more. He is a big guy. When he is alone in the zone, he should take the boards and protect the puck until help arrives instead of throwing it away.

Ryder needs to sit out a game. Shoot Ryder Shoot.

Faceoffs, faceoffs, faceoffs.

Many of our goals come from the powerplay and we only got a few of those. I did think the leafs got away with a few though.

Toskola played great

We only played 40 minutes of hockey.

My observations from being at the game tonight.

Latendresse needs to think more. He is a big guy. When he is alone in the zone, he should take the boards and protect the puck until help arrives instead of throwing it away.

Ryder needs to sit out a game. Shoot Ryder Shoot.

Faceoffs, faceoffs, faceoffs.

Many of our goals come from the powerplay and we only got a few of those. I did think the leafs got away with a few though.

Toskola played great

We only played 40 minutes of hockey.

First, thank you mods for taking the trash out I very much appreciate this. :clap:

Secondly BCHabnut must have a thought scanner as it is so close to which I am thinking right now.

In addition, the Habs should not trade Huet. He should be given the opportunity to play with Price for the full year. If Montreal loses him to UFA then so be it. I do not see a huge market for an almost #1 goalie. Price/Huet combination is working except against the LEafs. I would not blame the goalie entirely for the loss as Montreal still did some running around in their own end and guys got caught up ice on the third Leaf goal.

My big concern is Ryder. He is trying real hard, unfortunately his opportunities to shoot are seldom available. Maybe he needs to try finding more comfortable postions on the ice to shoot from. I cheer him on bnut he does not hear me, I must have a defective TV. ^_^

This game was a roll the dice and see who scores in the third. You knew a late goal was going to cripple the other team. It is always a sad day to lose to the LEafs, however you have to give Toronto just a teeny tiny bit of credit for playing a solid game. The only real tragic part of this loss is all the TML stanley Cup talk down bay street in my back door Leaf Media empire here...... :puke:

Got home from the game, and it felt like I was watching a replay of just about every damn Leafs vs. Habs game I've ever been to:

Habs don't bring their 'A' game.

The Leafs get 2 cheesy goals.

The refs are terrible.

Leafs win.

Seems like this happens EVERY DAMN TIME.

Nice to meet some fellow HabsWorld posters prior to the game tonight tho.

Several players didn't bring their best game to the rink tonight, but few stuck out as being really bad.....except Ryder. He looked pretty much useless out there on the majority of his shifts...he just can't seem to do anything right. A night watching the game from the pressbox might be what he needs right now, to take a breather and watch the game from above. Maybe he'll spot some areas he should be going to in the offensive zone to get open for shots, and can get back on track.

I'm worried that we aren't better 5 on 5; this team is living and dying by the powerplay....and that's a risky proposition. As we saw tonight, we can't count on getting 4 or 5 powerplay opportunities every game.

Look on the brightside, this result will help prolong the JFJ era in TO and that can't be a bad thing.

I just read a quote from Marc Crawford, speaking on Mike Cammalleri and his goal scoring prowess. Essentially he said, true goal scorers need to have that desire to score, the will to score, as he puts it, even a greediness to score.

It got me thinking about both Ryder and Higgins. Ryder is now just lost on that top line, but I think I see why...he no longer is the go to guy and is hesitating or looking for Higgins which is taking away that split second he (Ryder) needs to bury that quick shot.

As for Higgins, he is a man possessed and seems to have the desire, not quite the will yet or he'd have more goals and certainly is gaining the greediness.

I say split those two up and watch them both benefit...but let's not swap Kostopolous for Ryder as I don't think that is realistic for either player.

Let's see what comes of the Adams divison part of the schedule over the next two weeks:

Mon, Nov 5 Buffalo 7:30 pm

Thu, Nov 8 at Boston 7:30 pm

Sat, Nov 10 at Ottawa 3:00 pm

Tue, Nov 13 at Toronto 7:30 pm

Fri, Nov 16 at Buffalo 7:30 pm

crazy...

I just read a quote from Marc Crawford, speaking on Mike Cammalleri and his goal scoring prowess. Essentially he said, true goal scorers need to have that desire to score, the will to score, as he puts it, even a greediness to score.

It got me thinking about both Ryder and Higgins. Ryder is now just lost on that top line, but I think I see why...he no longer is the go to guy and is hesitating or looking for Higgins which is taking away that split second he (Ryder) needs to bury that quick shot.

As for Higgins, he is a man possessed and seems to have the desire, not quite the will yet or he'd have more goals and certainly is gaining the greediness.

I say split those two up and watch them both benefit...but let's not swap Kostopolous for Ryder as I don't think that is realistic for either player.

By dear George I think you may be on to something...

Although I haven't had the novelty of watching game in game out due to the stupid time difference and choppy feed from Sopcast (thank God for Sopcast..) what I noticed watching last nights game is that C. Higgins is truly unbelievable. He is a man possessed. Responsible defensively, manic forechecker, unbelievably strong on the puck AND a vocal leader to top that off. This kid is only gonna get better as his confidence starts kicking into high gear.

Having said that, Ryder is doing a lot of things better than what he used to during his first 3 seasons in Mtl. He's hussling, forechecking, skating and hitting. Although this is good in a sense, it might not be beneficial to his overall play; reason being he focusing too much on doing things he thinks he should be doing, and not what brought him here in the first place: SCORING.

Higgins is the go to guy on that line. Ryder isn't. He USED to be. That line needs to be complemented with further speed, and with a shot.

It's about time we see Mr. Kostistyn on that line....

Question is, which of the two...

I say It is past time we see Higgins Pleks and Kostitsyn together.

But outside of a few dismal outings, our lines have been working, hmmm....

Maybe what we really need is a full team session with Ryan Walter, so far this season he has produced way better results as far as our motivation is concerned, however we aren't bringing it every night.

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Dandenault-Smolinski-Ryder

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

That's what I would do, give Kosty some icetime and a chance on the top line while putting Ryder on a pest line. For one thing, he would be the top offensive player on that line so they would be looking to get the puck to him a lot, which is what he needs, so even if he doesn't have as skilled linemates he may still have more shots on goal and scoring chances. Also, Ryder knows how to hit (he actually used to be a grinder before he was converted to a scorer) so he may be able to fit in on a more defensive line.

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Dandenault-Smolinski-Ryder

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

So you give up on Ryder? If so then is it time to move him as that is too much money to pay a non-scoring scorer on a third line. Plus why is everyone so sure Kostitsyn is better... Just curious BTH because you have many here that agree with you.

So you give up on Ryder? If so then is it time to move him as that is too much money to pay a non-scoring scorer on a third line. Plus why is everyone so sure Kostitsyn is better... Just curious BTH because you have many here that agree with you.

We're not sure Kosty will be better. But we're sure he won't be better if he isn't given an opportunity on an offensive line.

Ryder on the third line doesn't have to be a permanent move but I think he can fit in there and provide good secondary scoring. There will be a lot less pressure on him from that line. I don't necessarily give up on him, I just think that we Carbo ought to change things up a bit next game instead of going with the same line-up. Maybe even bench him for a game and use Grabovski on the third line.

Hey, shouldn't you know that Sundin has 20 points? I guess your hockey knowledge only extends as far as your ability to pick a good team.

And yes, you definitely have more youth on your team... I assume you're referring to the babies on your team.

Don't worry, we'll save you some tissues. :D

GO HABS GO!!!

Welcome to the forum jrhabs. Your input has been immediately appreciated. :D

Thanks bud... glad to be onboard :rolleyes:

Latendresse needs to go to Hamilton for the rest of this season at the very least. He looks scared out there. A year in Hamilton where he can dominate people will give him some edge back.

Trade Ryder and one of our #6 Dmen (and a pick if need be) for a left winger that is a proven 25-35 goal guy.