Game Thread | Maple Leafs de Toronto vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 11/03/07

Spider-Man NL

I thought Lats had a pretty good game last night. He needs to learn how to create his own scoring chances though.

He just looks so scared out there. Scared to take the big hit, scared to drive to the net, scared to make a mistake, scared to take a chance in the offensive zone, scared to check and play hard in the corners, scared that he might take a penalty.

He is playing scared instead of with confidence. AHL time with less talented opponents and far less pressure would really help him.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was it Kostopoulos instead of Kostitsyn who was promoted to the first line when Ryder was demoted to the fourth?! AK didn't play a bad game! And at 2-2, you have more chances to score with AK than Kosto...

Sorry if this topic has been discussed, I did read the full 11 pages of posts.

Why was it Kostopoulos instead of Kostitsyn who was promoted to the first line when Ryder was demoted to the fourth?! AK didn't play a bad game! And at 2-2, you have more chances to score with AK than Kosto...

Sorry if this topic has been discussed, I did read the full 11 pages of posts.

I am sure Carbonneau would tell you that he wanted balance in a tight game. I am not saying I agree with that but I would guess it would be the reson.

In all honesty I do not know why the Habs chose to defend a tie game last night.

I would send Lats to Hamilton and move Ryder to the 2nd line.

Although lats is not doing much at least he goes to the net when he is on the power play but to get his puck confidence back a stint in Hamilton may be a good thing.

I thought Lats played a solid game yesterday. He had good scoring chances and threw some good hits (especially the one on Gill!). This year Lats looked like a AHL player, but he's been better in the last 2-3 games. He doesn't deserve to go to Hamilton in my opinion.

Ryder is the underachiever and AK is the guy who deserves better. He set up 2-3 good plays, but Dandy and Smokes are far from being natural (or even average) goal scorers...

Smolinski has actually been an 16-22 goalscorer, 40-55 point getter his entire career. Even in his most recent seasons he had something like 18 goals and 45 points. Perfectly respectable numbers considering he does most of his playing on the third line.

Ak was being used with Chips and Kostopolos, i still wonder why Carbo broke

Bégin-Chips-Kosto maybe he sees that Chipchutra is creating scoring chances and wanted somebody to finish the plays. Good try, didn't work but if that would work, Chipchura would

the third and not the fourt line center. Wich he deserves.

Not because Streit stick was at the wrong place at the wrong time but he was always slow on th puck, a bad performance by Streit.

Plekanek is not having his best time even though he has rack points. Seems that he doesn't see or trust linemates. I wish he would get smarter with the puck, becoming a threat, seems too predictable.

Ryder i said what i had to say, new stick, new skate new town. Ship him to Colombus with Halak for Brassard. Play Brassard with Latendresse and you will see magic. that would be our real second line center for years to come.

Huet should never play against Toronto, Price should get the call against them and shut them down.

I don't know why everyone always wants a scapegoat. Lats ghas been one of the more impressive forwards the last few games. The bottom line is the Habs don't show up some nights and they lose. No excuse not to come out charging on a team that played the night before. The ggod games far out weigh the bad ones so far this year and the effort is way better. Learning to win takes time.

Game Summary is simple:

Weak Goaltending

No effort in the first

Didn't play very smart

Had no idea how to handle Sundin's line.

Too much perimeter play No one going to the net

Other info:

As I stated Gorges in Bouillon out is no difference in the third pairing, Gorges does make better passes and skates much better then Bouillon. Bouillon could be added to a trade to a team that is light in the D.

Ryder can be moved, The Habs either need to trade or get a top line RW. (Kosty)

Huet will soon lose his starting job. been very shakey the last 2.

I want to see want to see how they react tom night. 5 out 8 points is mandatory on this home stand.

Alot of division games, will seperate the good teams. Are the Habs good enough?

I don't know why everyone always wants a scapegoat. Lats ghas been one of the more impressive forwards the last few games. The bottom line is the Habs don't show up some nights and they lose. No excuse not to come out charging on a team that played the night before. The ggod games far out weigh the bad ones so far this year and the effort is way better. Learning to win takes time.

Game Summary is simple:

Weak Goaltending

No effort in the first

Didn't play very smart

Other info:

As I stated Gorges in Bouillon out is no difference in the third pairing, Gorges does make better passes and skates much better then Bouillon. Bouillon could be added to a trade to a team that is light in the D.

I want to see want to see how they react tom night. 5 out 8 points is mandatory on this home stand.

I would just like to add the HORRIBLE ooficiating in this game. Just before the Leafs scored the winning goal, Koivu was hauled down by a toronot player, and no call was made. In fact, the Leafs should have taken at least 3 or 4 penaltiues in the 3rd period alon, yet for some reason, the refs did not want to call them!

Huet was weak on two goals saturday night. Price should be in nets today!

Game Summary is simple:

Weak Goaltending

No effort in the first

Didn't play very smart

Other info:

My view of Lats has nothing to do with the Toronto game, but his performance overall. He should be turning into a power forward, but he is losing confidence and turning into Turner Stevenson. Ouch.. He needs to learn how to separate a player from the puck and get possession, not just throw a useless hit. He also needs to get his shot back.. been pathetic to date. His skating sucks, but there is no short term solution to that one.

He needs to spend 10 games in the AHL ripping it up, then bring him back. This is a development move, not a punishment.

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Dandenault-Smolinski-Ryder

Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos

That's what I would do, give Kosty some icetime and a chance on the top line while putting Ryder on a pest line. For one thing, he would be the top offensive player on that line so they would be looking to get the puck to him a lot, which is what he needs, so even if he doesn't have as skilled linemates he may still have more shots on goal and scoring chances. Also, Ryder knows how to hit (he actually used to be a grinder before he was converted to a scorer) so he may be able to fit in on a more defensive line.

I like those line combinations BTH. I would try it out for at least 5-6 games. Give kostitsyn a chance to break out.

One thing does bother me about Kostitsyn...he has a tendancy of trying these little plays that seem to always end up on an opposing players stick. he tries too hard with the fancy plays. he should try to stick to the basic stuff a little more!

My view of Lats has nothing to do with the Toronto game, but his performance overall. He should be turning into a power forward, but he is losing confidence and turning into Turner Stevenson. Ouch.. He needs to learn how to separate a player from the puck and get possession, not just throw a useless hit. He also needs to get his shot back.. been pathetic to date. His skating sucks, but there is no short term solution to that one.

He needs to spend 10 games in the AHL ripping it up, then bring him back. This is a development move, not a punishment.

I disagree. Big powerforward type players always take longer to develop. Look at John Leclair. it took him a good 4 seasons before he was a solid powerforward. WE need to be patient with Latendresse, he wil come through. Don'T forget that this kid has way more pressure on his shoulders thatn Grabovsky or Kostitsyn.

I agrtee that Gui did not have a good start to the season, but he's been playing good hockey ove the past 5 games. His game is improving. WE can'T expect him to score 35 goals this year. It'll coome we just have to be patient!

Amen habsfan.

It's funny when Price or Lats struggle it's send them down

When Huet or Ryder struggle it's let them work it out.

to be fair, you can send Price and lats down without going through waivers. Also, Price and Lats would be more likely to improve in minors than Huet and Ryder.

I think there are a lot of people on this board who wouldn't mind seeing Ryder demoted or sat for a bit.