Garth Murray on Waivers

Punkned

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now lets just hope that murray doesn't become an effencient nhler like beauchemin or even hainsey; bob would just look so stupid !!!

If we are worried about that we have issues.

I agree. I seriously doubt someone will pick up murray. bob is trying to clear some room for some other rookies on the big club.

My guess is that we're stuck with murray until the end of his contract, which will end at the end of this year!

How wrong were you :P

How wrong were you :P

I didn't think anyone would pick him up off of waivers when we sent him down to Hamilton either. However, getting picked up on re-entry, that's a whole different story.

I didn't think anyone would pick him up off of waivers when we sent him down to Hamilton either. However, getting picked up on re-entry, that's a whole different story.

It is a great move. You now have $300K extra and you can bring up Lapierre, Kostitsyn or O'Byrne without having to test Gorges through the waiver wire.

It is a great move. You now have $300K extra and you can bring up Lapierre, Kostitsyn or O'Byrne without having to test Gorges through the waiver wire.

Because Murray was claimed on re-entry, can someone confirm whether the HABS are responsible for/save $300K from his salary or whether Florida has to pick up all of his salary?

Because Murray was claimed on re-entry, can someone confirm whether the HABS are responsible for/save $300K from his salary or whether Florida has to pick up all of his salary?

Habs are responsible for half. So you can look at it as saving $300K or paying $300K for nothing. Up to you.

While the Habs would have had to still pay Murray his $600K if he was with the Hamilton Bulldogs (unless he has a 2-way contract), the $600K would not have counted against the cap if he was in the AHL. Thus, instead of having no chip in their cap, they've got $300K now... Of course, I'm no capologist and I could be wrong about this (don't be afraid to clear it up if you have studied the cap rules in any way :P).

So this, to me, as I mentioned earlier, isn't a move about saving money, it's a move to keep Murray content and give him a chance to play in the NHL with another club. I don't really see the Habs making another call up unless the team fails to win tonight in Toronto and Friday in Buffalo.

While the Habs would have had to still pay Murray his $600K if he was with the Hamilton Bulldogs (unless he has a 2-way contract), the $600K would not have counted against the cap if he was in the AHL. Thus, instead of having no chip in their cap, they've got $300K now... Of course, I'm no capologist and I could be wrong about this (don't be afraid to clear it up if you have studied the cap rules in any way :P).

So this, to me, as I mentioned earlier, isn't a move about saving money, it's a move to keep Murray content and give him a chance to play in the NHL with another club. I don't really see the Habs making another call up unless the team fails to win tonight in Toronto and Friday in Buffalo.

Yeah, you are right. In terms of cap space (which is all we should care about) I thought of it in terms of sending him down to get rid of him. In that case they saved themselves $300K in Cap. But once he was down there even though they still had to pay the $600K, they were clear of the cap hit.

I was under the impression that players with one way contracts count against the cap regardless of whether they are on the big club.

This would make sense as far as the cap is concerned: the cap is designed to discourage big contracts - you don't want to give big market teams a way to avoid the consequences of their mistakes. If you could do this, then a big market club like NYR or TOR or DET could take that $4.5mil underperformer and throw him over to the minor league affiliate and clear the cap space for another $4.5mil contract, thereby increasing the average player salary and creating more competition in the market.

I was under the impression that players with one way contracts count against the cap regardless of whether they are on the big club.

This would make sense as far as the cap is concerned: the cap is designed to discourage big contracts - you don't want to give big market teams a way to avoid the consequences of their mistakes. If you could do this, then a big market club like NYR or TOR or DET could take that $4.5mil underperformer and throw him over to the minor league affiliate and clear the cap space for another $4.5mil contract, thereby increasing the average player salary and creating more competition in the market.

New Jersey sent Mogilny down to the minors to get under the cap.

The reason they do not hide players down there is because if

1. They ever try to bring the player up they are on the hook for half the salary if he is claimed.

So a 5 Million player would count half against your cap for the entirety of his deal.

2. If you sign a player to a 5 year deal and send him to the minors to leave him there for the entire contract

you might as well kiss future Free Agents goodbye.

I doubt there will be a call up since our top 13 forwards are set and whatever prospect we call up will just waste away in the pressbox.

New Jersey sent Mogilny down to the minors to get under the cap.

The reason they do not hide players down there is because if

1. They ever try to bring the player up they are on the hook for half the salary if he is claimed.

So a 5 Million player would count half against your cap for the entirety of his deal.

2. If you sign a player to a 5 year deal and send him to the minors to leave him there for the entire contract

you might as well kiss future Free Agents goodbye.

True,

Let's not forget about NYR sending Kasparaitis down to clear as well. Didn't Philly do that with Gauthier?

I doubt there will be a call up since our top 13 forwards are set and whatever prospect we call up will just waste away in the pressbox.

exactly !! hearing the bulldogs play by play man yesterday, nobody really deserves the call, on offense that is. O'byrne would be the closest to a callup but with gorges already eating pop corn and hot dogs, I doubt any callup will be done soon.

I know the habs at one point recently were having difficulty keeping under the maximum # of contracts ceiling. Wasn't that part of the reason we no longer have Mikus? Maybe getting rid of Murray gives BG more flexibility in trades (would allow him to take more players than he trades away).

Good luck to Garth. Maybe he can find a spot in the Florida lineup. That being said, i am not unhappy to see him go. As the Habs are getting better, they is really no spot for a guy like Murray, when there are younsters chomping at the bit to make the big club. Unless injuries hit, i don't think someone will be brought up unless Gainey thinks Lapierre has re-earned the right to be with the big club. In that case 2 forwards will be scratched every night. With Kostits stepping his play up, it looks like Lats is about the 12th forward and Grabs the 13th. Unlikely Ryder will be scratched unless his effort stops.

C'mon Habs, beat the leafs tonite.

I know the habs at one point recently were having difficulty keeping under the maximum # of contracts ceiling. Wasn't that part of the reason we no longer have Mikus? Maybe getting rid of Murray gives BG more flexibility in trades (would allow him to take more players than he trades away).

VERY Interesting. Should be an interesting November.

We say that after every little move and nothing ever happens. :P

Nah, I mean interesting in the way that everyone is going to be working the rumor mill again - Marleau, Tanguay, Lecavalier, etc but nothing will come of it.

It's to save his Gillett a couple hundred grand in salary, and give Murray a chance. Who wouldn't take a young grinder with NHL experience at less than the league minimum?

We weren't using that cap space anyways.

And actually, I have the cap hit on Murray as $326,567 for us, the remainder ($273,433) to the Panthers. The reason? Quite simple, he was on our roster for over a month, so we had the full cap hit for that time and half of the cap hit for the remainder of the season.

A little technicality. I doubt I'm 100% accurate, but it's the best I can do.

Sucks that our one Saskie in the past, like, deacde couldn't stick. He did well in 2005-06, but just couldn't keep up and didn't really get a shot this past year. Hope he gets his mojo back for Florida.

It's to save his Gillett a couple hundred grand in salary, and give Murray a chance. Who wouldn't take a young grinder with NHL experience at less than the league minimum?

We weren't using that cap space anyways.

And actually, I have the cap hit on Murray as $326,567 for us, the remainder ($273,433) to the Panthers. The reason? Quite simple, he was on our roster for over a month, so we had the full cap hit for that time and half of the cap hit for the remainder of the season.

A little technicality. I doubt I'm 100% accurate, but it's the best I can do.

NHL Numbers lists the cap hit at $350,000.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL

Doesn't pain me to see Murray go at all.... he was pretty stagnant in the system, in my opinion. Kind of a 1 dimensional player.. :\ Hope he does better in Florida, the 2nd black-hole of hockey (first being Chicago.. :D)

Doesn't pain me to see Murray go at all.... he was pretty stagnant in the system, in my opinion. Kind of a 1 dimensional player.. :\ Hope he does better in Florida, the 2nd black-hole of hockey (first being Chicago.. :D)

dude, watch a hawks game soon.

They do not suck anymore and they are actually on local TV. Lang, Toews, Kane, Perreault, Lapointe, Khabibulin, Lalime, Seabrook, and Sopel ain't that bad.

I am of course always a habs fan, but as a transplanted chicagoan I am really excited about the hawks right now.