Ryder on the Third line

JMMR

I've never played hockey at any high level so this question might seem out there but, how hard is it for a center to switch to a wing? I love the way Chips is playing, especially when on the PK he passed the puck off the board to himself and skated down for a scoring chance.

Any chance of maybe putting Chips on the first line?

I've never played hockey at any high level so this question might seem out there but, how hard is it for a center to switch to a wing? I love the way Chips is playing, especially when on the PK he passed the puck off the board to himself and skated down for a scoring chance.

Any chance of maybe putting Chips on the first line?

i've also never played at anything but floor hockey, but it's a good question. From what I've read around here from the seasoned players, it sounds like it's much harder for a wing to switch to a centre, than for a centre to switch to a wing. I guess the other question is who would you have centring the 4th? Begin didn't play well last year as the centre when that was his position. it's better with him as a winger, cuz he can focus on banging and grinding, and I don't think Grabs is the right guy for the 4th line centre job. I would bring up Lappy :D

I wouldn't be shocked if Carbo tries a few guys on the first on friday. I can't see Kosto getting ~17 minutes. I bet we will see Kosto play about 10-12 minutes, with Latendresse or Chips getting a shift here and there to see if anything looks good.

i've also never played at anything but floor hockey, but it's a good question. From what I've read around here from the seasoned players, it sounds like it's much harder for a wing to switch to a centre, than for a centre to switch to a wing.

I too have experience only in floor hockey, but I've heard this topic discussed enough to know the reason for this. Centers have much more defensive responsibilities than do wingers. The learning curve is a lot bigger for wingers going over to center and they have a lot more work to do at center. A center moving over to winger, though, has fewer new things he needs to learn, so the transition is much easier.

I wouldn't move Chipchura to the wing... but I would move Smolinski to the wing. Chipchura's too valuable as a center. Someone with his kind of rink awareness is great as centre.

Actually, speaking of good rink awareness, Dandenault might be a good option at C if he can take faceoffs.

I can't believe some of you are suggesting we split up the Kovy-Plex-Kostitsyn line. they've been our best line all year, now some of you want to split them up??? THat's just nonsense!

Ryder will most likely play 1 or 2 periods on the third line on Friday, then he'll be back on the 1st line.

I'd like to see Latendresse on the firs tline, but the Kid doesnT' really deserve it right now, plus he's still injured(lower back/hip).

I can't believe some of you are suggesting we split up the Kovy-Plex-Kostitsyn line. they've been our best line all year, now some of you want to split them up??? THat's just nonsense!

Ryder will most likely play 1 or 2 periods on the third line on Friday, then he'll be back on the 1st line.

I'd like to see Latendresse on the firs tline, but the Kid doesnT' really deserve it right now, plus he's still injured(lower back/hip).

It's about getting more than one line going. Right now, when we're on the road, our top line isn't scoring at all (Higgins has yet to score on the road this year, and Ryder isn't scoring anywhere). If Kositsyn gets Higgins and Koivu going on the road, while Plekanec and Kovalev still put up numbers, then it's a good trade off.

If it doesn't work, then we reunite Kostitsyn with Plex and Kovy. BTW, we've essentially had two good pairs on offence this year, not so much lines. Kostitsyn is finding his spots with Plex and Kovy, but it's still the Tomas and Alex show out there, as it has been since they were paired together in about week 2. Koivu and Higgins are still very effective, but Ryder is not finding his spots at all. If Ryder found his spots with Plex and Kovy, and Kostitsyn his with Higgins and Koivu, then the team is better. Simple as that.

We still have plenty of internal options to try out. Grabovski is one, Latendresse is another, Smolinski, and then the Bulldogs have Lapierre, S Kostitsyn, and D'Agostini as guys that could get a shot at that role.

I wouldn't break up Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Kovalev at all right now. It's taken a long time to get together a cohesive second unit, and it not's worth it to break it up. The team didn't break up Higgins Koivu Ryder last season to get Kovalev going...

I wouldn't break up Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Kovalev at all right now. It's taken a long time to get together a cohesive second unit, and it not's worth it to break it up. The team didn't break up Higgins Koivu Ryder last season to get Kovalev going...

And we finished in 10th place.

Essentially, right now, Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev are our de facto first line until we get another line going.

I would prefer to see Streit up front with Koivu and Higgins than Kostopolos, Ryder, Latendresse or anyone else.

i'll explain why, Higgins wins 3/4 of his battles alongs the board but he doesn't have pass option because the right

winger doesn't read the play. If the mission of the winger was to cover Higgins play and make himself a pass target

to him, not only to shoot the puck but to create something with it.

It's about getting more than one line going. Right now, when we're on the road, our top line isn't scoring at all (Higgins has yet to score on the road this year, and Ryder isn't scoring anywhere). If Kositsyn gets Higgins and Koivu going on the road, while Plekanec and Kovalev still put up numbers, then it's a good trade off.

If it doesn't work, then we reunite Kostitsyn with Plex and Kovy. BTW, we've essentially had two good pairs on offence this year, not so much lines. Kostitsyn is finding his spots with Plex and Kovy, but it's still the Tomas and Alex show out there, as it has been since they were paired together in about week 2. Koivu and Higgins are still very effective, but Ryder is not finding his spots at all. If Ryder found his spots with Plex and Kovy, and Kostitsyn his with Higgins and Koivu, then the team is better. Simple as that.

We still have plenty of internal options to try out. Grabovski is one, Latendresse is another, Smolinski, and then the Bulldogs have Lapierre, S Kostitsyn, and D'Agostini as guys that could get a shot at that role.

I still don'T think you should screw around with something that works.(if it ain't broke, don't fix it) It's taken long enough to have a "HAPPY" kovalev on this team, leave him be with his two team mates.

Is it just me or is it about time to trade Ryder? We really need a gritty goal scorer on the wing ... Ryder can score but heck, I think we need an upgrade there. He's way too streaky, there's surely a need for a more consistant guy who can play on the first with Koivu and Higgins. Anyone out there who can help the HABS in that area or do we've to keep him?

Is it just me or is it about time to trade Ryder? We really need a gritty goal scorer on the wing ... Ryder can score but heck, I think we need an upgrade there. He's way too streaky, there's surely a need for a more consistant guy who can play on the first with Koivu and Higgins. Anyone out there who can help the HABS in that area or do we've to keep him?

I agree that tradin ryder is an option.

however: he probably doesn't have any trade value for now.

he's too expensive

he doesnt score much

he's slow

he'll be UFA at the end of the year.

so until the trade deadline, pray for a good comeback .

Yea, his trade value isn't really high, it would be a wonder to find a taker. But Gainey also found someone for Samsonov, so I'm hoping that we'll find the missing piece for the first line soon.

he traded Samsonov in a convoluted salary dump - that's really not what I would hope for in a Ryder trade. As an expiring contract, Ryder should be far easier to move (not that I think we are getting back Tanguay or anything).

Yea, his trade value isn't really high, it would be a wonder to find a taker. But Gainey also found someone for Samsonov, so I'm hoping that we'll find the missing piece for the first line soon.

what did we get in return ?? the exact same crap except that samsonov wasnt there anymore: addition by substraction.

can we, once have a deal where both parties(montreal at least) have a decent nhler in return ??

I really believe that ryder may sign with the oilers or toronto, why not try a make a with them. dont give me that never-trade -in-your-own-divison crap. ferguson gives more in return in any giventrade....worse than rejean and by far. he'D be my 1st trade partner.

he traded Samsonov in a convoluted salary dump - that's really not what I would hope for in a Ryder trade. As an expiring contract, Ryder should be far easier to move (not that I think we are getting back Tanguay or anything).

the way it looks like right now dont expect anything higher than a 2nd rounder. lets just pry that he starts scoing again so his value will go up.

what did we get in return ?? the exact same crap except that samsonov wasnt there anymore: addition by substraction.

can we, once have a deal where both parties(montreal at least) have a decent nhler in return ??

I really believe that ryder may sign with the oilers or toronto, why not try a make a with them. dont give me that never-trade -in-your-own-divison crap. ferguson gives more in return in any giventrade....worse than rejean and by far. he'D be my 1st trade partner.

the way it looks like right now dont expect anything higher than a 2nd rounder. lets just pry that he starts scoing again so his value will go up.

THe Leafs are capped out. In order to make a deal with them you more than likely need to take back a McCabe, Raycroft, Blake or Kubina. No Thanks.

Edited by Wamsley01