Carey Price Appretiation Thread

Habsfan84

I think its time that he had an appretiation thread on here. He looks so calm in net and is now starting to win us games that maybe we should not even be in.

65price2.jpg

How about you guys give this kid a break of being the next Partrick Roy and just watch his amazing play. In a few years you will be able to compare. Lets appreciate.

65price3.jpg

A friend of mine said he could be in game 7 of the cup finals in triple overtime and it would be just another game to him.

He is so calm it makes me nervous....im not really sure if that makes sense but it freaks me out how relaxed he always is.

A friend of mine said he could be in game 7 of the cup finals in triple overtime and it would be just another game to him.

He is so calm it makes me nervous....im not really sure if that makes sense but it freaks me out how relaxed he always is.

I can see what your point is there, but in my opinion Price has the perfect attitude for a goaltender because his lack of emotion won't let a bad goal get to him. He's like the baseball closer that gives up a 3 run homer to lose the game but then comes back the next night and strikes out the side like the previous night never happened.

If Price were a forward, his non-chalant attitude might be harmful, as he's the reverse of a Higgins or a Koivu who seem to be a ball of fury out there. But as a goaltender, i love the fact that he just doesn't seem to give a crap.

I really think that it's mostly an act. There's no way that he doesn't feel the pressure, doubt himself, and get really nervous. The key part is not showing it and saying that you're unfazed. The thing that I love most is how little he moves around in the net. He's always in position before the shot comes! Perfect example from the Leafs game: two on one, he reads the pass perfectly and has already moved and squared for the one-timer. He's not spectacular, but I'd rather have him calmly moving cross-crease to stone someone than flail wildly and make a save.

I can see what your point is there, but in my opinion Price has the perfect attitude for a goaltender because his lack of emotion won't let a bad goal get to him. He's like the baseball closer that gives up a 3 run homer to lose the game but then comes back the next night and strikes out the side like the previous night never happened.

If Price were a forward, his non-chalant attitude might be harmful, as he's the reverse of a Higgins or a Koivu who seem to be a ball of fury out there. But as a goaltender, i love the fact that he just doesn't seem to give a crap.

I was gonna say, we saw him show emotion in training camp that time when he broke his stick after a bad goal at practice. I think the kid cares, but he's doing a great job keeping him emotions in check. Good for him. And you're right, I suspect it woudl be disastrous if he were a forward... or even a D.

Edit: Just realised this is my 1000th post. Only fitting that it's in the thread for the kid we hope will be a part of the successful future of this team for a long long time

Edited by ShortHanded

I don't think it is an act. Some people are high strung. He is the opposite. If it was an act sooner or later it would come across as non genuine. But everybody who sees and talks to the kid can't believe how relaxed he is. Watching him in the Juniors, AHL and now the NHL, it is one of the first things you notice.

Don't confuse a calm demeanor with a lack of emotion. Look at his reaction after he stopped Mueller in the Shootout.

He was jumping around like crazy, but 30 seconds earlier it looked like he did not care. Add in the economical movements

and he looks like he doesn't care and is not trying. These are great attributes to posses.

Mario Lemiuex and Mats Sundin were massively criticized for looking like they were floating and passionless for years.

This kid is the real deal. Relax and enjoy the franchise player we have been handed. He is 20 years old, the scary thing is he is going to get WAAAAY better. Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Wamsley01

I don't think it is an act. Some people are high strung. He is the opposite. If it was an act sooner or later it would come across as non genuine. But everybody who sees and talks to the kid can't believe how relaxed he is. Watching him in the Juniors, AHL and now the NHL, it is one of the first things you notice.

Don't confuse a calm demeanor with a lack of emotion. Look at his reaction after he stopped Mueller in the Shootout.

He was jumping around like crazy, but 30 seconds earlier it looked like he did not care. Add in the economical movements

and he looks like he doesn't care and is not trying. These are great attributes to posses.

Mario Lemiuex and Mats Sundin were massively criticized for looking like they were floating and passionless for years.

This kid is the real deal. Relax and enjoy the franchise player we have been handed. He is 20 years old, the scary thing is he is going to get WAAAAY better. Enjoy the ride.

As usual, you're probably right Wamsley01 ^_^

Does anybody know if he is getting the start in Buffalo.

Anyways he probably will be in net when the Habs win their next Cup.

on habsinsideout earlier this week, they said Huet was starting Friday (against buffalo?) and Price at home Saturday (against boston I believe?)

As Wamsley said, he may be calm, but he is not uninterested. I know when I play sports, feeling emotions just throw me off my game (and I do play with an all-out style similar to guys like Koivu, Higgins, Begin or Dandenault) so I always try to stay as calm and bored as possible. If I start thinking about things or about getting someone back or about anything like that, it just screws me up. I'm sure Price feels a similar way, that he works best when he tunes out all his emotions.

Or maybe I'm crazy. :wacko:

So right, it seems they do nothing on the ice but always at the right place at the right time to make the big play, oh wait, just like Price...

I love his cool demeanor, his style in net, and that he's having success right off the hop. That being said, I'd like to see Huet's contract extended for a short term...so that Price can continue to be eased into the role of #1. I'd like to see him continue to be used about once every 3 or 4 games on average this season, start half the games next season, then be the full number one the season after that (with a very capable backup...Huet or otherwise, just so there's a little less pressure). He is the future....no need to rush him and risk messing him up like the Pens did Fleury.

I love his cool demeanor, his style in net, and that he's having success right off the hop. That being said, I'd like to see Huet's contract extended for a short term...so that Price can continue to be eased into the role of #1. I'd like to see him continue to be used about once every 3 or 4 games on average this season, start half the games next season, then be the full number one the season after that (with a very capable backup...Huet or otherwise, just so there's a little less pressure). He is the future....no need to rush him and risk messing him up like the Pens did Fleury.

I have to say, the comparisons to Fleury drive me nuts. Fleury struggled from the moment he entered the NHL. He struggled in the World Juniors and actually failed to deliver on a team that was the favourite. He was far from overwhelming in his AHL stint (check his numbers) and upon his return to the NHL has once again failed to impress.

Price played on a team that was regualrly shellacked with shots in junior, won the MVP of the Juniors, rode through the AHL like he was bored and has shown more poise and skill in 6 games then Fleury has in 150.

Why not compare him to Tom Barrasso who stepped out of High School and won the Vezina and Calder? Why is it Fleury?

Some goalies take years to become starters in the NHL (Kipprusoff, Huet, Belfour, Hasek), some guys are doing it in their very early 20s (Luongo, Brodeur, Roy, Ward) Why is everybody so scared? This kid is ready. He has shown mental toughness, poise, unbelievable skill, and has yet to drop the ball at any level. The GM is the most conservative guy in the world. He obviously sees that this kid is ready and ahead of the curve.

He will go through growing pains, he will slump and struggle. All the greats do. But the special ones figure it out. But if a guy is ready he is not being rushed. Fleury was not ready, plus, maybe the simple fact is....maybe Fleury sucks?

I have to say, the comparisons to Fleury drive me nuts. Fleury struggled from the moment he entered the NHL. He struggled in the World Juniors and actually failed to deliver on a team that was the favourite. He was far from overwhelming in his AHL stint (check his numbers) and upon his return to the NHL has once again failed to impress.

Price played on a team that was regualrly shellacked with shots in junior, won the MVP of the Juniors, rode through the AHL like he was bored and has shown more poise and skill in 6 games then Fleury has in 150.

Why not compare him to Tom Barrasso who stepped out of High School and won the Vezina and Calder? Why is it Fleury?

Some goalies take years to become starters in the NHL (Kipprusoff, Huet, Belfour, Hasek), some guys are doing it in their very early 20s (Luongo, Brodeur, Roy, Ward) Why is everybody so scared? This kid is ready. He has shown mental toughness, poise, unbelievable skill, and has yet to drop the ball at any level. The GM is the most conservative guy in the world. He obviously sees that this kid is ready and ahead of the curve.

He will go through growing pains, he will slump and struggle. All the greats do. But the special ones figure it out. But if a guy is ready he is not being rushed. Fleury was not ready, plus, maybe the simple fact is....maybe Fleury sucks?

M. Wamsley01,

You have posted many excellent posts, but this is just simply one of my favourites.

Nicely done...

That being said, I'd like to see Huet's contract extended for a short term...so that Price can continue to be eased into the role of #1.

Put yourself in Huet's shoes. You know you will be a UFA as of July 1st 2008. Would you take a 2 year deal worth about 6 million$) from Bob Gainey when you know that it might very well be your last NHL contract. Don't you think he'd rather wait and see what he can get from the other 29 teams. Huet has proven over the past 2 seasons that he can be a number 1 goalie in the NHL. I'm pretty sure some team who'll be desperate for a good goalie(ie: Tampa, Phoenix, St-Louis, Toronto etc) will be willing to offer Huet a 4 year deal worth 16 million$. He,d be crazy to pass up on that kind of money!

Then again, Bob might be tempted in offering Huet a 3 year deal worth 10-12 million$ cause with the Rookie cap in place, Price will be making 850,000$ for the next 2 years(after this season). So you can easily have a young starter who makes less than 1 million$ and a solid back up (who has been a good mentor to the kid) who makes 3.5 or 4 million$.

Once Price has completed his first 3 seasons, then you can trade Huet, who wil still have 1 year left on his 3 year contract.

Put yourself in Huet's shoes. You know you will be a UFA as of July 1st 2008. Would you take a 2 year deal worth about 6 million$) from Bob Gainey when you know that it might very well be your last NHL contract. Don't you think he'd rather wait and see what he can get from the other 29 teams. Huet has proven over the past 2 seasons that he can be a number 1 goalie in the NHL. I'm pretty sure some team who'll be desperate for a good goalie(ie: Tampa, Phoenix, St-Louis, Toronto etc) will be willing to offer Huet a 4 year deal worth 16 million$. He,d be crazy to pass up on that kind of money!

Then again, Bob might be tempted in offering Huet a 3 year deal worth 10-12 million$ cause with the Rookie cap in place, Price will be making 850,000$ for the next 2 years(after this season). So you can easily have a young starter who makes less than 1 million$ and a solid back up (who has been a good mentor to the kid) who makes 3.5 or 4 million$.

Once Price has completed his first 3 seasons, then you can trade Huet, who wil still have 1 year left on his 3 year contract.

But his cap hit is and will be much higher in future years with bonuses and such.

IMO, in the cap age you don't want to be paying a backup goalie 3-4M a year. That could be the difference between landing an impact player that could win you the Cup. If you really believe that Price is your guy you either deal Huet at the deadline or you keep him for insurance this season and let him walk. You are right, Huet will not take a discount in his cash out year. He has proven that he is a starter since his last contract and will demand big $$$ on the free agent market. Hopefully for Bob a similar scenario plays out like the one in Carolina. Gerber started the majority of games and Cam Ward showed that he was the future and was ready and they allowed Gerber to walk. It would be even better if Price could show Bob that before the deadline.

Add Halak to the situation and it becomes even more confusing. It should be interesting.

Personally, I would roll the dice and deal Huet at the deadline this year.

Note: Bryzgalov just got dumped to the waiver wire because Burke said there was not market for a goalie who was about to be a UFA. Let's hope that Huet can keep up his performance and with it his value. I imagine teams will be scrambling to grab Bryzgalov

Edited by Wamsley01

• 2 weeks later...

A great article from Jack Todd of The Montreal Gazette:

Price Check: Goalie on way to stardom

Todd says something I've been saying for awhile - at least to my dad when we talk hockey - and that's that Price wins. Good game or bad, Carey finds a way to come out on top more times than not.

Anyway, it's worth a read if you haven't skimmed it already.