A-Rod Close to a deal with the Yanks

markierung

Apparently, A-Rod is close to signing a 10 year deal worth nearly 290 million, down from the 350 that his agent was asking for.

In my opinion, he is not nearly worth this much (relative to other players not, not comenting on athletes making this much money). For that kind of money, the Yanks can get 2 incredible pitchers at about 15 million each. Or perhaps replace their aging closer and get a solid starting pitcher. The Yanks need a better bulpen and starting rotation, not a better offense. With Jeter, Giambi, Areu, Posada, the offense is fine without A-Rod. Outside of Wang, and maybe Pettite (if he re-signs and stays healthy) the Yanks have nothing in the starting rotation. (Mussina and Clemons are finished) Outside of Chamberlan, they have no reliable releivers.

Also, they should go out and get Tori Hunter not A-Rod. They are not a great defensive team outside of Canoe and Jeter. Hunter can hit and is an awsome Center Feilder. They can then Move Damon to right or left.

Finally, A-Rod is not worth the distractions or the trouble he causes.

i'm not, there's more money to be made in New York, he's more marketable there then he would be if he played in the Mid-West or the south

The only places he could have potentially made the same kinda Money is Boston, Chicago and LA

Or with the Mets

The only places he could have potentially made the same kinda Money is Boston, Chicago and LA

Or with the Mets

Exactly my point. Somebody would have given him money, and he wouldn't have had a bunch of Yankees fans booing him every time he does the slightest thing wrong.

In my opinion, he is not nearly worth this much (relative to other players not, not comenting on athletes making this much money). For that kind of money, the Yanks can get 2 incredible pitchers at about 15 million each. Or perhaps replace their aging closer and get a solid starting pitcher. The Yanks need a better bulpen and starting rotation, not a better offense.

Also, they should go out and get Tori Hunter not A-Rod. They are not a great defensive team outside of Canoe and Jeter. Hunter can hit and is an awsome Center Feilder. They can then Move Damon to right or left.

While I agree they need pitching above anyone else, so does 20 other teams in the league. Who exactly do you suggest they go out and get? the market for free agent pitchers this year begins with Randy Wolf.

Melky Cabrera played CF down the stretch for the Yanks, and calling Jeter a good defensive SS is really far from the truth...

It's not only about the contract money though, he will make the most money playing for the Yankees, them and the Sox are the two most liked teams in the world, only Boston isn't stupid enough to sign him

Isn't Chamberlain eventually going to move out of the bullpen and into the starting ro.? I was always under that impression.

Even if he does, then they'll need another releiver. Also, i think he would probably be better suited to eventually replace Rivera

exactly, that's why playing in New York gets you a lot more marketability with the potential for more money outside the contract with the Yanks

While I agree they need pitching above anyone else, so does 20 other teams in the league. Who exactly do you suggest they go out and get? the market for free agent pitchers this year begins with Randy Wolf.

Melky Cabrera played CF down the stretch for the Yanks, and calling Jeter a good defensive SS is really far from the truth...

What? Jeter is a really good defensive SS.

he has 3 gold gloves!!!

What? Jeter is a really good defensive SS.

Jeter's defense has been criticized throughout his career. A baseball journalist has pointed out that he makes fewer plays than most shortstops. According to some defense metrics, Jeter is a below-average defender. However, he has won 3 Gold Glove awards.

The book The Fielding Bible by John Dewan contains an essay by Bill James that explains why Astros shortstop Adam Everett is superior to Jeter defensively. James analyzes the available evidence (four separate methods relying on a different set of facts and based on exhaustive research), and suggests that Derek Jeter could be the worst defensive shortstop ever who has played a long career at shortstop. He concludes, "Giving [Jeter] every possible break on the unknowns, he is still going to emerge as a below average defensive shortstop." The conclusion of the analysis done by Baseball Info Solutions' method (based on systematic observation) was that Derek Jeter "was probably the most ineffective defensive player in the major leagues, at any position."

and calling Jeter a good defensive SS is really far from the truth...

Yeah, his Gold Gloves are an absolute joke. Heck, Gold Gloves in general are a joke these days. I really have no understanding of how they choose Gold Gloves anymore. Brandon Phillips was easily the best defensive 2B in the NL this last year, but somehow Orlando Hudson beats him out with far inferior defensive numbers. Jeter has never led the AL in fielding percentage, but has three Gold Gloves. Orlando Cabrera should have won it in both 2005, Michael Young in 2006, and Ecstein Guzman, and Vizquel all deserved it more in 2004.

You can't say he is bad though, i've seen some spectabular plays from Jeter, especially in the clutch

Sure, but there are a lot of balls he doesn't get to that other SS could make a play on. I think Arod was a better SS than Jeter, the Yankees were just too afraid to ask Jeter to move.

Back to Gold Gloves: How do Adrian Beltre win the Gold Glove this year with the lowest fielding percentage among eligible players? How does Orlando Hudson win one when he is 7th in his league in fieldling? How does Todd Helton not win it with only 2 errors all season? How does David Wright win one with 21 errors? How does Troy Tulowitzki not win one with the same number of errors as Rollin, but got to so many more balls than Rollins?

A-Rod wasn't a better SS. Also, the Yankees have had some pretty bad defensive 1B. That could potentially be a reason for the lack of completed plays

A-Rod had 2 gold gloves as a SS, with better hitting numbers

A-Rod wasn't a better SS. Also, the Yankees have had some pretty bad defensive 1B. That could potentially be a reason for the lack of completed plays

A-Rod had 2 gold gloves as a SS, with better hitting numbers

Look at the stats and you'll see Arod was the superior SS. Every year from 2001 to 2003 (I only have stats from 2001 on) Arod had a better fielding percentage and got to more balls than Jeter did. And if you want to bring Gold Gloves up again, notice that Jeter never won one until Arod moved to 3B.

As for bad 1B, if a play was the 1B fault, then Jeter isn't gonna be the one getting the error.

Gold Gloves are a joke for sure, you can't win one without having good offensive numbers. Sadly, its what the selke has become...

While im guessing he didn't play enough games for whoever votes on the Gold Gloves, John MacDonald definitely deserved one this year. The plays this guy made were unbelievable, i believe he finished with the highest fielding percentage and had the best range factor in the AL.

Although fielding percentage is a flawed statistic in itself, Placido Polanco hasnt made an error since july 06, which is great, but if he's not getting to even close the amount of balls as say, Aaron Hill (yeah im being a big homer), then what's it really worth.

Im glad you mentioned the Fielding Bible though Jetsniper. I discovered that just after this year's GGs came out and its a great resource.

Im glad you mentioned the Fielding Bible though Jetsniper. I discovered that just after this year's GGs came out and its a great resource.

Haha, pretty much the same time I found it. I just remembered reading about Jeter's definciencies on Wikipedia so I went and got that. I gotta agree with Fanpuck too, he's one of the most overrated athletes in sports.

anyway, the point of the thread is that A-Rod is really not worth the money he's getting paid. The Yankees would be a much better team if they spent the 30 million on A stud starter, a shut down releiver and a reliable bat ex:Torri Hunter

anyway, the point of the thread is that A-Rod is really not worth the money he's getting paid. The Yankees would be a much better team if they spent the 30 million on A stud starter, a shut down releiver and a reliable bat ex:Torri Hunter

It's the Yankees, they'll still try to do that. I've heard they are ready to offer Mike Lowell big money to play 1B. If they have money for him, they have money for pitching. Thing is, the FA pitching this year is awful. I mean, only one SP available had an ERA under 4.00, and he only pitched two games! (John Thompson)

Maybe your right, but you can't say he's a bad SS, maybe not the greatest, but he's no bad at all

bad. At least he is now (not going to check old stats).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldi...umn=rangeFactor

2nd to worst in Baseball by Range Factor

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldi...lumn=zoneRating

worst in baseball by Zone Rating.