Aussie Election Thread

JLP

Labour blow out.

would be something if Labour wins, they have said they will send their navy to intercept the japanese whaling ships currently enroute to the antarctic . . .

well look at it this way, Labour controls all of Australia outside of federal politics. Labour acknowledge's global warming. Labour isn't a Bush clone.

What has struck me most is the number of people who've started their sentences with the words 'I used to vote for John Howard, but...'

Nick Bryant

BBC News in Sydney

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7109692.stm

Sounds like the '06 talk at the polls in Missouri in one of the most far right wing influential districts in the country republican heartland (bush has been sleeping at a mansion down the street from me 4 times, sickening). Gone were the christian fundamentalists spewing hate at the local polls, instead people were down right angry. theocrats disappeared.

same is going to happen with the Aussies.

ABC is reporting John Howard seat in Bennelong is too close to call, right now ALP is winning but postal votes to decide who wins.

Right now with 60% reporting:

Labor Party 81 seats

Liberal Coalition 56 seats

76 required for victory

ABC predicts a 20 seat majority for the Australian Labor Party

Labor majority

Edited by Pierre the Great

Prolly Howard's biggest problem is that he pledged to step down halfway through and give up the leadership to an unpopular crony. I would have a hard time voting for Stephen Harper if I knew in a year he would just go and let Jim Flaherty become PM sans election.

Prolly Howard's biggest problem is that he pledged to step down halfway through and give up the leadership to an unpopular crony. I would have a hard time voting for Stephen Harper if I knew in a year he would just go and let Jim Flaherty become PM sans election.

foreign policy- labor is taking the troops out of iraq

environment- labor will sign the kyoto accords

economy- inflation is high

scandals

Australia's PM-elect Rudd vows better global ties

Australia's incoming Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, a Mandarin-speaking former diplomat, has pledged closer ties with key friends and allies after sweeping away 11 years of conservative rule under John Howard.

Rudd, 50, presented himself as a new generation leader by promising to pull around 500 front line Australian troops out of Iraq and sign the Kyoto Protocol on climate change, further isolating Washington on both issues.

But Labor could be frustrated by a hostile Senate (upper

house), where the conservatives will have sway until July next year, possibly frustrating Rudd's Kyoto plan and promise to dump unpopular government labor laws which propelled his victory.

Centre-left Labor will have to negotiate with diverse minor Senate parties including the left-leaning Australian Greens and the conservative, Christian values Family First party.

In a message of unity, Rudd promised to govern for all Australians, including migrants and the poor.

"Today the Australian people have decided that we as a nation will move forward," Rudd, flanked by his wife Therese and family, told around 1,000 wildly cheering home supporters at a football stadium in the tropical northern city of Brisbane.

The election was fought mainly on domestic issues, with Labor cashing in on anger at labor laws and rising interest rates which put home owners under financial pressure at a time when Australia's economy is booming.

"Like Howard, he will quickly attempt to secure his administration with the fortress of institutional and cultural change. In short, Australia will shift to the left," said the Bulletin news magazine.

"Rudd will have to open negotiations soon with the United States about the withdrawal of Australia's combat troops from Iraq. This is a delicate operation because it will be Labor's first testing of the alliance," veteran political commentator Michelle Grattan wrote in the Sun-Herald.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/071124/...lia_election_dc