Game Thread | Buffalo vs. Montreal | 11/24/07

Spider-Man NL

Bullshitting each other doesn't do much good either.

1) I view this like a bar.. you are sitting around with fellow fans and commenting on the team. If they are going great you are happy. When the team is sucking, you are pissed.

2) I get annoyed with people too, but only because they have stupid opinions. For example, if Huet lets one in, it never would have gone in on Price. The next game Price lets in the same kind of goals, and there is nothing but silence. I have no problem calling that out, but they still have a right to express their opinions, rigth or wrong.

3) You seem to take the view that it doesn't matter if they are right, if the comment is not favourable to the habs, it should not be made.

I would suggest that no one would even post on a board you seem to wish for, as there would be no point. Even when I disagree with people here I appreciate the debate. :)

4) Finally, let me suggest that while I have been a habs fan for my entire life, I am not married to the Habs. Unlike my wife, I don't have to lie about the habs to make them feel better about themselves. :)

1) Very true

2) Huet sucks, Price should be number 1 :rolleyes:

3) Me too - other's opinions force me to examine my own.

4) :clap:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No in 2000 I did not wear a patrick pussy sweater but I did suffer my embarrassment in silence because I understood that it would change and being the fan I am I knew I had to just live with the team as it was. i knew it would not stay the same and I understood that slagging the team would not help. Same as today I do not like that they lost but I do see positives. I choose to dwell on the positives rather than the negs. Hey we are just fans with different opions whatever I don't care I just want to support the habs that is what fans do imo

Feel free to dwell on the positives all you like. The problem is you seem to feel we all need to be just like you. If you don't like our comments, ignore them, but you have no right to tell people not to make them.

Finally, let me suggest that while I have been a habs fan for my entire life, I am not married to the Habs. Unlike my wife, I don't have to lie about the habs to make them feel better about themselves. :)

You should stop lying to your wife. Tell her how those jeans really make her ass look, and tell her the truth about how attractive you find the 18-year-old neighbor girl...I double-dog-dare you.

(sleeping on the couch ain't so bad...at least you're in front of the big TV)

You should stop lying to your wife. Tell her how those jeans really make her ass look, and tell her the truth about how attractive you find the 18-year-old neighbor girl...I double-dog-dare you.

That's true but having to masturbate for a while sucks :huh:

Bullshitting each other doesn't do much good either.

I view this like a bar.. you are sitting around with fellow fans and commenting on the team. If they are going great you are happy. When the team is sucking, you are pissed.

I get annoyed with people too, but only because they have stupid opinions. For example, if Huet lets one in, it never would have gone in on Price. The next game Price lets in the same kind of goals, and there is nothing but silence. I have no problem calling that out, but they still have a right to express their opinions, rigth or wrong.

You seem to take the view that it doesn't matter if they are right, if the comment is not favourable to the habs, it should not be made.

I would suggest that no one would even post on a board you seem to wish for, as there would be no point. Even when I disagree with people here I appreciate the debate. :)

Finally, let me suggest that while I have been a habs fan for my entire life, I am not married to the Habs. Unlike my wife, I don't have to lie about the habs to make them feel better about themselves. :)

I am not saying that criticizing the habs is wrong I am saying it should be constructive. Or at least relavent. I agree with the around the bar idea but to be constantly calling for the firing of the coach or writing the team off after 2 periods is silly can we not have any hope if the team is down by 2 after 2 I believe we can I am fighting against a general negativity on this board not a specific remark in a game. I welcome debate and am willing to debate any players weaknesses and strenths but this board has becaome a constant berage of negativity and I do not agree with it and as someone said earlier I am entitled to my opinion. :clap:

sorry I screwed that up I'll probably be banned now :P

Edited by habs rule

ROFL...

Well, I am not ready to take that step.. but... Yes, Lats, you do look fat in that new jersey... .

No in 2000 I did not wear a patrick pussy sweater but I did suffer my embarrassment in silence because I understood that it would change and being the fan I am I knew I had to just live with the team as it was. i knew it would not stay the same and I understood that slagging the team would not help. Same as today I do not like that they lost but I do see positives. I choose to dwell on the positives rather than the negs. Hey we are just fans with different opions whatever I don't care I just want to support the habs that is what fans do imo

I think if the team were mediocre on paper or on the ice thus far in the season, you wouldnt be hearing too much negativity about recent games. But the reality is, we are a better team than what we've seen lately. We've seen much better efforts earlier in the year. There was better chemistry amongst linemate (Koivu-Higgins), we had a better PP, and we definitely would been able to pot one at home against Jocelyn Thibault.

So people are expressing their displeasure with the team's effort, relative to their talent. It has dropped off recently. The same thing happened last year, and by the time we got it back it was (just) too late.

You point out that the team will be better in the future, but I think they are close now. They can definitely play with any team, but they have not done it lately.

It's not negativity about the team that causes people to complain, I believe. It's a belief that the team is good, and even a distant contender...but that they are not living up to their potential lately.

I think if the team were mediocre on paper or on the ice thus far in the season, you wouldnt be hearing too much negativity about recent games. But the reality is, we are a better team than what we've seen lately. We've seen much better efforts earlier in the year. There was better chemistry amongst linemate (Koivu-Higgins), we had a better PP, and we definitely would been able to pot one at home against Jocelyn Thibault.

So people are expressing their displeasure with the team's effort, relative to their talent. It has dropped off recently. The same thing happened last year, and by the time we got it back it was (just) too late.

You point out that the team will be better in the future, but I think they are close now. They can definitely play with any team, but they have not done it lately.

It's not negativity about the team that causes people to complain, I believe. It's a belief that the team is good, and even a distant contender...but that they are not living up to their potential lately.

and these would be the same people that thought this team would be 14 or 15 in the conference when I said 5 or 6? It is terribly frustrating to watch a team that I know can play better that what we have seen IT DRIVES MR NUTS, but as I say if you believe this team is that good then dammit support them! They will succeed and that is not koolaid it is my belief that this team can succeed and will . Slagging them the coach and the gm do not help imoa :ghg: :ghg:

As far as im concerned, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My opinion, is that we need to do something with Ryder. Please lets trade him right now, package him and ship him away. He's no good for us anymore, he stinks out there night in and night out and just isn't the same. He is too one dimensional and although I like the guy his time in Montreal is nearing an end.

Call up Lapierre or Sergei Kostitsyn already, lets get some more energy in this lineup. They are both tearing it up in the AHL right now and deserve a shot if the current players aren't gunna play.

Call me negative all you want, but I do foresee 3 losses in a row, when we come to my city of Toronto and play like we usually do at the ACC, this time we aren't going to get the lucky "bounce" (McCabe giftwrapping Komi's breakaway) and Toronto is gunna come out working harder than us because they usually do even though we are the better team.

I hope I am proved wrong, but this is just what I feel.

***To look on the brightside***

Perhaps we didn't play that poorly tonight, but the fact that the schedule had us playing Buffalo in a home-and-home series right when they are on a hot streak, it made us look brutal. Perhaps we were forced to play Buffalo 2 games in a row, right when they are beginning to return to their old form....perhaps if we played a more average team tonight we could've came out with the win. Who knows.

and these would be the same people that thought this team would be 14 or 15 in the conference when I said 5 or 6? It is terribly frustrating to watch a team that I know can play better that what we have seen IT DRIVES MR NUTS, but as I say if you believe this team is that good then dammit support them! They will succeed and that is not koolaid it is my belief that this team can succeed and will . Slagging them the coach and the gm do not help imoa :ghg: :ghg:

I think taking the time to post comments on a board dedicated to the interest of Les Habitants on most nights of the week is a pretty good show of support on its own. Regardless of whether those comments are praise or criticism, they are posted by people who want them to win.

You can disagree with posts, and maybe even call some of them stupid, but dont accuse people of not supporting their team, based on these posts. Most of us have spent our lives cheering for the team and a post out of frustration does not equal lack of support.

BTW, I had the boys pegged at top 8 for sure..

You think that posting 1000 times on a messageboard, watching games as a community and discussing their love for a team not supporting them?

Do you honestly think that the person with 800 posts who criticizes his favourite team is non supportive?

Some people rationalize when they lose, some people rant, some people blame, some people criticize. How do you figure that your way of supporting them is the right way. I sit here and read great posts by many on this board. Most are insightful, critical, thought invoking essays on their passion, the Canadiens.

Anybody who loves the Habs so much to spend that much time on here instantly earns respect from me. After that you either earn more from me, or lose it.

There is no degree of fan, there is no better or worse, right or wrong. So pleases don't diss people who do not insult you personally. If you dislike what they have to say, take the time to analyze and break down their argument, if not ignore it. If they took the time to express their feelings respect that, if you do not like it comment on what they said, not their tone.

Unfortunately - or fortunately - I've been unable to watch many games lately due to family and work commitments. But I do notice that the first line has been dismal for about 10 games: not coincidentally, that's the stretch in which the team has dipped to playing .500 hockey. Without presuming to identify that as the *only* problem, I suspect that it all starts with the guys who are supposed to lead that charge, and who are spectacularly failing to do so. I mean, Higgins has what, 14 points in 23 games? That is ridiculous from a first line winger. (Don't misunderstand me, I love the guy, but facts are facts). Koivu has 5 points in 10 games. B-a-d.

This might be a matter of lineups or coaching. Or just an honest slump - they happen. But in the back of my mind is one great fear. I always thought that when Koivu got old, he would get old really fast...rather as did Kirk Muller, who went from 94 points, a legitimate #1 C, to 57 points, and then to a 40-point, grinder-only pace. It's preposterously early to say that that is happening, but Koivu doesn't usually struggle like this until the second half. The thought is scuttling around in the back of my brain these days. Again, I know I'm just being paranoid, but...gosh darn it, we still need that bona-fide #1A C, as insurance if nothing else.

A small shakeup seems in order. I'd be amazed if a call-up is not immanent.

***To look on the brightside***

Perhaps we didn't play that poorly tonight, but the fact that the schedule had us playing Buffalo in a home-and-home series right when they are on a hot streak, it made us look brutal. Perhaps we were forced to play Buffalo 2 games in a row, right when they are beginning to return to their old form....perhaps if we played a more average team tonight we could've came out with the win. Who knows.

This is true. Buffalo played really well defensively, and it didn't make us look good. We did get some good chances but didn't bury them. This is a major issue with this team, it was at the beginning of the year and still is: we just don't have much finishing ability. There should be some sort of shake-up, I'd like to see D'Agostini or Lapierre get a chance soon. And I do hope Gainey will be looking to deal Ryder at some point this year, I don't think he's the type of player we want to build this team around. Always streaky and not a complete player.

Usually when I wake up the day after a game, I see it for what it is and move on. But I still cant believe we were shut out...by Joceln Thibault.....at home....on saturday night....against a team that we just lost to.

The red flags are up for me. We need a scorer, badly.

No matter how bad Ottawa plays, guys like Heatley or Alfredsson will be guaranteed to produce goals for them. Heatley isnt even flashy, just finds ways to score. We need that. Obviously we cant rely on 2 or 3 lines to chip in every night, especially when then top line is slumping.

Come on guys, or highest goal scorer for the last 3 years has had 30 goals, and will not get there this year.

Are we gonna pull the trigger or not?

Hey All,

Being at last nights game and at the game vs the Bruins the previous Saturday it looks like the 2 team syndrome.

Even Friday nights game the generation of shots were poor and the quality of shots was terrible. Looks like the Habs are sitting back

on their #1 powerplay status on the PP. The other teams are going to the tapes. They are shutting down the points and playing higher up to

make the D make the mistake. It was working the first 20ish games now the other teams are evolving. No more sniper shots from the

tops of the circles and I really don't like the work behind the net. We are getting beaten there and in the corners.

I think also that we need a big scorer, but more over we need consistency. We already have good speed and set up capabilities from our

young guys with Plecs and Kostitsin and Grabs. We have some good grinders with Begin and Kosto and our D this year is looking good with

Markov, Streit and Komi.

For the past few years we have come out blazing with winning games in the 1st half of the season. And the 2nd half, well you all know what

happened with that :P

All this to say yes the team is looking good and losses will happen. Its early on and terrible weeks will happen (like this one :lol: ).

My 2 cents.

Ca c'est mon equipe :ghg:

Oh oh i smell a slide and in a week we'll be out of the playoff picture and in 10th ( i'm an optimist but this doesn't look good )

BOB has gotta do something soon to get a scorer caus' kovy and pleks cannot double shift till end of season.

The past two performances worry me, especially at home :o

When the goalies, and the PP have an off week... we're cooked.

Edited by jrhabs

The good news is that we're what, 6 points out of 1st place. The bad news is that we're something like 4 points out of 9th place. One hot streak and we're at the doorstep of a slumping Ottawa. One serious slump and we're in the sewer.

To me that shows how early it still is. Not time to panic. Bob will make some minor moves. Indeed, he was probably waiting for the quarter-season mark to assess. Bodies will be shuttling to and from Hamilton any day now.

BTW, if scoring is our problem, I seriously doubt that you're going to get that from AHLers. But I suspect the problem is with the team game, especially the defensive play. This is a team constructed on the New Jersey model and needs to play like it. If we play a rock-solid defensive team game, we have more than enough talent to win.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

After reading through most of this thread, I checked the standings to see if we were indeed last in our conference ...........GUESS WHAT ? WE ARE NOT!.........OK, so we've slipped lately....... Why can't Ryder hit the side of a barn? .......we haven't won 1 fight all year so do we need a goon?...........Latendresse can't stand up on his skates, are his skates defective?..........Our "D" is getting forechecked to death, why can't they just clear the puck off the boards?........why do we keep making those long stretch passes (that never work!) during our powerplays as of late? All good questions.

I was watching Buffalo's PP the last 2 games, and all they did was have 2 of their forwards stand in front of our goalies and just shot the puck from the point.......simple hockey; they know that our D plays a passive zone, so they just flooded it and came away with 3 PP goals......Remember we beat them the first 2 times we played them, and they did not do this; Ruff made the appropriate adjustments; kudos to him..........I think we need to learn from them and get back to playing sound fundamental hockey.......it's way too early for the kind of changes many on this board are calling for.....Carbo, Muller, Jarvis & Gainey are intelligent enough to figure out what tweaking needs to be done.

PLEASE LET US NOT REGRESS TO BASHING EACH OTHER CAUSE WE CAN'T BE THE COACH OR GM!

GHG!!

Some minor changes are much needed.

Captain Koivu has to show up. It's a must, or we are totally screwed.

Ryder has to go. Times up, no more patience for me.

It's not aboutdfense all is about offnse and inspiration.

I agree with claim #1. But the last claim, I don't support. For teams lacking superstar attackers, offence grows out of strong defensive play. That's what this team seems to have forgotten. The 7-goal outbursts are a product of stifling teams in our own end and generating turnovers, NOT electrifying talent or 'inspiration.' The coaches know this, but it seems to be a hard lesson for this bunch of players to absorb.

I hope no one is hitting the panic button. The problem is clear all around. A tighter trap style 5 on 5 would be helpful but more so these guys have to get better puck possession. Better possession also includes making a reliable 1st or 2nd pass through the neutral zone on the attack. PLEASE!

I can't stress how much I think our lack of puck possession is the culprit. I'm also annoyed with Plekanec. Both Kovy and Kosty are making good defensive plays but I find Pleks' passing in the D zone is annoying.

Puck possession! Puck possession! Puck possession!

Carbo? <_<

Figure this out Habs!