Is Markov Playing Hurt?

SAKS-AVENUE

I think it was in the opening minutes of the Buffalo game when Markov was pushed in awkwardly into the boards. The way he wiped out looked pretty serious and he did lay there for a few minutes while doctors checked him out. He was back right away and seemed fine but TSN reports in the Ice Chips section he hasn't practiced in two days and is getting therapy sessions.

Anyone know any further details? I'd hate to have him playing hurt and lose him later down the line.

Didn't he block a big shot last night?

My guess is that he's just got some bumps and bruises and being as important as he is to the club, they can't afford to over work him, especially with 2-day break between last night's game and Friday's against the Devils.

RDS pretty much said the same thing. That since that nasty fall in Buffalo, Markov has not practised. Adn yes, markov is a -6 up til now this year. Hopefully he'll be able to turn things around!

Minus-6 because most of his points come on the powerplay (and the whole team sucks 5-on-5).

Let's not forget that 3 of those goals scored against the Habs when Markov was on the ice was when the Habs pulled their goalie and the other team scored into an empty net...so in reality, i'd say markov is a -3.

Let's not forget that 3 of those goals scored against the Habs when Markov was on the ice was when the Habs pulled their goalie and the other team scored into an empty net...so in reality, i'd say markov is a -3.

Empty netters don't count against your +/-, unless the other team is shorthanded (and it's a 6 on 4).

Markov is -6, or maybe even worse, at even strength. If Markov was on the ice for one of the team's SH goals, that means he got a + out of it. We haven't allowed a SH goal against this year, so if Markov was on the ice for one of our SH goals, he's actually a -7 at even strength.

He's struggling without the puck, guys. It's been obvious from the first week of the year.

He's struggling without the puck, guys. It's been obvious from the first week of the year.

Yeah, he's had some pretty serious breakdowns this year, more than I noticed last season. Offensively he's stepping up but defensively he's had some total brain farts, a la Souray.

I think the guy is playing hurt and he should be given a break to heal properly. We are in a slump anyway. The last thing I want to hear is "we didn't make the play-offs because Markov had an injury that never healed all season"

Lets take our lumps without him now for a better January.

Markov played 24 minutes last night, so they're clearly not gonna go easy on him. Let's hope that letting him skip practice is enough rest for him. We need him at 100% if we're going to remain competitive this year.

Edited by lazy26

Markov played 24 minutes last night, so they're clearly not gonna go easy on him. Let's hope that letting him skip practice is enough rest for him. We need him at 100% if we're going to remain competitive this year.

24 minutes is Markovs average but he is not the same he has more difficulting winning battles along the boards.

24 minutes is Markovs average but he is not the same he has more difficulting winning battles along the boards.

That was my point. He's out there for as many minutes as before, so the coaches aren't cutting him any slack. I definitely agree that his performance has waned of late.

I think the guy is playing hurt and he should be given a break to heal properly. We are in a slump anyway. The last thing I want to hear is "we didn't make the play-offs because Markov had an injury that never healed all season"

Lets take our lumps without him now for a better January.

I totally agree with this. What's the point of risking further injury when he's not playing anywhere near his true ability anyway. Give him a week off or something and see how he's feeling.

I totally agree with this. What's the point of risking further injury when he's not playing anywhere near his true ability anyway. Give him a week off or something and see how he's feeling.

Did you see his passing on Saturday

The first two goals were made possible because of him.

Markov at 60% > Bouillon+Streit+Gorges+Dandenaultx900

Did you see his passing on Saturday

The first two goals were made possible because of him.

Markov at 60% > Bouillon+Streit+Gorges+Dandenaultx900

Nope. I actually didn't. Gotta admit I wasn't watching. And you're right, he's better than most of our other D, so I stand corrected, but isn't he also making a lof mistakes that result in goals against?

Nope. I actually didn't. Gotta admit I wasn't watching. And you're right, he's better than most of our other D, so I stand corrected, but isn't he also making a lof mistakes that result in goals against?

Not really.

But he is just not winning battles as easily as he once did.

If he is hurt though I have no problem with him taking a few games off now rather than later but if he can battle through then why not.

I definitely think Markov is injured. His +/- rating is an abysmal -8. That is NOT the Markov we know. Sit hiim out for a game, let him heal properly!