Is Markov Playing Hurt?

SAKS-AVENUE

That was my point. He's out there for as many minutes as before, so the coaches aren't cutting him any slack. I definitely agree that his performance has waned of late.

His weaknesses from earlier in the year are just being exploited more. He was losing plenty of 1 on 1 battles when he was healthy. He's taken a big step backwards defensively this year from the past 2 years.

There was a game where they went easy on him and he played only 16 minutes or so. Maybe the 24 minute game is an indication he's not hurting as much (or at all) now?

it seems quite likely that Markov has sacrificed some D in order to get more offensive opportunities. I wonder if Carbo tells him that we are scoring a reasonable amount of goals and that he should concentrate more on D and forgo the offense a bit.

There was a game where they went easy on him and he played only 16 minutes or so. Maybe the 24 minute game is an indication he's not hurting as much (or at all) now?

I hope you are right.

It's worth remembering that Markov's original profile was that of an offensive defenceman who the Habs had to beat into submission in order to learn defence. He's such a superb player that he mastered the defensive game to the point where we've forgotten his original profile. This may be the *real* Markov :blink:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's worth remembering that Markov's original profile was that of an offensive defenceman who the Habs had to beat into submission in order to learn defence. He's such a superb player that he mastered the defensive game to the point where we've forgotten his original profile. This may be the *real* Markov :blink:

I believe Markov actually was a centre when he was drafted but the Habs said he would become a defenseman.

it seems quite likely that Markov has sacrificed some D in order to get more offensive opportunities. I wonder if Carbo tells him that we are scoring a reasonable amount of goals and that he should concentrate more on D and forgo the offense a bit.

What I don't get is how this is true. It's not like he's getting caught up ice consistently, though it has happened a bit more, it's his defending when he's already back in the right position that has dropped off. That's not a situation of sacrificing defence for offence, it's a situation in which he's just plain struggling/regressing.

We do need him to be a true #1 d-man, who beats the opposition's top forwards with regularity and also serves as a catalyst to the team's offesnive attack.