Game Thread | Predators vs. Canadiens | 12/01/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shameful, yet predictable.

The lines ? Koivu with Smolinski and Streit.

I know Saks did poor lately, but common Carbo Smolinski!!

Have you slept all year long and just to wake you up watch this

send Smolinski to play 2 minutes before THE END.

Streit did OK by the way, in case of Markov injury it was a good

bet, and no other Montreal forward can control the play like he does

except Kovalev.

Bring AK46 in the mix and your talking. He wasted is time with Grabovski and Ryder.

What did Kostopolos and Bégin to be left out?? Where were they when we needed them??

Turn to Smolinski or Grabovski is not the answer.

S-M-O-L-I-N-S-K-I.

Shame

Mediocre

Overrated

Lame

Interment of his career

Not worth a penny.

Slow

Kiss you good bye

Issue to solve soon or we gonna do down.

Was an absolutely moronic penalty by smolenski, really ridiculously bad (not the first time this year either). Between that and that fluky short handed goal that bounced off the boards and in front of the net, it should've been a 4-2 win.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat and wouldn't shed a tear over it...but...what can you realistically expect to get back for him, playing the way he is at his salary?

Marleau. See the 'Koivu slumps' thread for my thoughts on this, if yer interested.

Wow! What a shocker. Garbage result. At least it breaks the pattern Higgins was quoted as hating so much.

Seriously, what have we achieved with Koivu as the leader of the team so far? I really like him, but please look at the Boston Celtics for a way to improve your team after being mired in mediocrity / sh*te for a few years. For the Habs, mediocrity IS sh*te.

And yes, I know basketball works on different parameters than hockey. It's just...look at the standings. Look at the last 5, 6, 7, 8 years. Isn't it obvious? People who think it's still early, think longer back, it isn't early, it's been years now.

No trade value for Ryder, Smoked, Breezer, probably Huet really soon...going to have to swing big, Koivu plus kids for...

I was at the game tonight, a few points.

Positive :

3 goals 5 on 5

Latendresse and Chipchura form a real hit and grind duo

50 minutes of good hockey

Negative :

2 times they blowed a 3 goals lead

Habs really don't have it when it's time to protect a lead, their defensive play is WEAK

Huet gave them the opportunity to come back in the game with the 1rst goal

Smolinski, what a useless motha######a, what a bad and USELESS penality

So many missed opportunities by Koivu and Higgins, again and again...

Carbo should have called a timeout after Smolinski's penality (2nd time of the season now)

Seriously, i told my girlfriend in the stands when it was 3-0 that I would not accept any overtime. I'm really pissed.

Huet is opening the door wide open for Price to stand up as the #1 goaler. DAMN SHIT DAMN

Wow! What a shocker. Garbage result. At least it breaks the pattern Higgins was quoted as hating so much.

Seriously, what have we achieved with Koivu as the leader of the team so far? I really like him, but please look at the Boston Celtics for a way to improve your team after being mired in mediocrity / sh*te for a few years. For the Habs, mediocrity IS sh*te.

One thing we can be safe with is the fact that both Gainey and Carbo have been captains of Cup-winning teams; so both have a first-hand knowledge of what it really takes as a captain in Montreal to win. They are the best persons to judge weither the team can or can't win with Saku as a captain. We've got to trust them on that.

How many times have we had a last-minute goals scored against us now, poetic that it was Bonk that killed us this time.

Anyway, we know how to make our players start scoring more -- trade them to another team . . .

And yes, I know basketball works on different parameters than hockey. It's just...look at the standings. Look at the last 5, 6, 7, 8 years. Isn't it obvious? People who think it's still early, think longer back, it isn't early, it's been years now.

No trade value for Ryder, Smoked, Breezer, probably Huet really soon...going to have to swing big, Koivu plus kids for...

Koivu, maybe. Kids?? Not Komisarek, Price, Higgins, Lats...trading Koivu is a serious option IMHO partly because it would remove the need to trade the future of the franchise. Like it or not, Koivu is unlikely to be the future.

Koivu, maybe. Kids?? Not Komisarek, Price, Higgins, Lats...trading Koivu is a serious option IMHO partly because it would remove the need to trade the future of the franchise. Like it or not, Koivu is unlikely to be the future.

patience folks. its a long season. they're slumping, it happens. sens just lost 6 straight.

gainey's switching out bonk and johnson (effectively) for smoke and kosto is coming to light though.... was this really an upgrade? we had one of the best pk s in the league last year. have always wondered why gainey was so eager to blow that line up (and not save much dough in the process). smoke is sucking and kosto in sitting in the the press box...

That was probably the worst display of protecting the lead I have seen. You guys have pretty much said it all so there is not much new to say.

More bad news though, we play DETROIT next.

If Gainey doesn't move Ryder soon I don't know what to do. I love Gainey, but sometimes this patience shit isn't the best route to go. Ryder has got to go.

I am so rattled.

Habs are on a .500 streak (win-lose-win-lose-etc) and people are calling for "trade Koivu"?!

What the heck guys...

Ya, I dont understand this trade Koivu shit. Everyone expects him to be the saviour, and as a huge fan of his I can say that he is not that type of player you just build a team around, but he does have the heart and leadership and good skills that can help our squad a tremendous amount, if only Gainey could bring in a player to help out a little. (I.E TRADE RYDER)

Ya, I dont understand this trade Koivu shit. Everyone expects him to be the saviour, and as a huge fan of his I can say that he is not that type of player you just build a team around, but he does have the heart and leadership and good skills that can help our squad a tremendous amount, if only Gainey could bring in a player to help out a little. (I.E TRADE RYDER)

All of those qualities have been MIA for the past 6 games. I get that he was having a tough time because of Ryder dragging the line down...but he hasn't fared any better with Ryder off of his line. He's the captain, and the highest-paid forward on the team....the man expected to lead the other underachievers by example...and he's just not doing that. Lord knows Koivu is no superstar: never has been, never will be.....but he is a good player when he's on his game. We need him to be on his game again...badly.

Actually I'm not saying we MUST trade him - yet. But I'm tilting in that direction for several reasons. See 'Koivu slumps' where I drone on (and on) about this, if you care :rolleyes:

Well terrible loss

1. Huet was a force for 50 minutes but fell apart again. I would start Price the next two games and let him play until he loses two in a row.

2. Smoke needs to be waived he has had about 4 good shifts the entire season I actualy hope he reitres.

3. Koivu has got to play better hockey.

4. Higgins needs to get a tape of Brett Hull and Danny Heatly and just watch an learn heck even take som pointers from Latendresse. Higgins missed at least 2 empty nets tonight.

5. Kovalev and Plekanec are just great out there workign so hard and dominating the play.

6. Markov, Komi and Hamrlik were all great.

7. Huet needs to get better at the end of games the 1st 3rd and 4th goals were all pretty terrible.

I don't mean kids like Higgins or Komi when I say kids - I don't think of them as kids anymore. We seem to have a lot of prospect players that might end up looking good: 2 Kostisyns, Lapierre, Chips, Grabs, Halak, Gorges, one of our 788 defensemen-prospects. With Koivu throw in a young player with a bit of NHL experience, a guy like Ryder who has shown something at one time, plus an untried-but-promising kid, and maybe the pot will be sweet enough for someone.

Big point: I am NOT referring to the last 6 games, but predictably the discussion turns to 'don't panic, it's 6 games'. It has been several years. The Sens slump to 6 straight losses, but have shown - this year and last - that they can be an awesome force when clicking. When have we shown that we can be a consistently dominating force? Not recently - recent as in 6, 7, 8 years.

The reason people look at Koivu is that he is an obvious target: captain, first-line C, huge salary, and while his numbers are always pretty good, the team has historically gone absolutely nowhere with him, no matter the changing parts around him. Time for a fresh start. I'm sure he's the kind of guy who will waive the NTC if the benefits of going to a real contending team, a place where he doesn't have to be the focal point of the whole team, are obvious.

I agree that guys like Gainey, Carbo and Muller will know far more than I about what a Captain needs to win the Cup. I stand corrected. At the same time, if it's broke, fix it, or die trying.

Go Habs!

Before we crap all over Huet for falling apart, I think he might have hurt himself midway through the 3rd period before the floodgates opened. I think it was a breakaway or a partial breakaway for the Preds and Huet did kind of a "splits" and was pushed back in the net somewhat. It very briefly showed his face just afterward and he looked to be grimacing. He might have pulled something.

Well, what an awful loss ... hmm, dunno what Gainey can change to get this team going.

As someone said before, we had a great defencive pairing in Bonk and Johnson last season and we gave up on them. Smolinski isn't really a good addition as we all thought, he might be on his last legs. Though I think a guy like Chipchura will replace him sooner than later anyways.

Ryder should be replaced too, we really need a more consistant guy there instead of him.

Ah my, there are still so many points where we can upgrade but heck, the slump will end - Detroit is next, the best time to show what the team really is made of! ^_^

Btw. Why was Bégin a scratch, is he hurt or was it really necessary to give Grabo some playing time?

I absolutely knew that after the Preds scored their first goal that we were going to loose. You could see it.

This team plays not to loose hockey instead of to win hockey.

The whole team should be ashamed of that game, including the coaches.

Dare I ask how the other 3 were doing?

Gorges was good, he has some very strong points to his game.

Brisebois and Bouillon were the same as they always are.