Shake up? Call up? Who will it be?

SAKS-AVENUE

It would be unwise to treat Smolinski like that. Gainey is all about ethics and when you sign a 36 year old to a 1 year contract and promise him some job security with a no-trade clause, it'll look really bad if you put him permanently in the pressbox two months into the season. Especially after what happened with Samsonov last season, but that was acceptable because Sammy demanded a trade.

Smolinski is our fourth line centre. Has he been performing like a fourth line centre should? Probably around there. I think the expectations were a bit too high for this guy as we were expecting a Bonk replacement. Chipchura is the Bonk replacement, Smolinski is the Lapierre replacement. Hopefully, we can get Lapierre back up here soon but we just have too many players.

I'm almost hoping for injuries.

okay, let's hope for injuries, and I guess you're right about the waiving him, but is it really a huge problem, him being benched. He doesn't have to be benched permanently, more like every other game. Besides, if this results in Gainey being unable to attract 36 year old 4th liners in the future, I'm not crushed about that loss. And I will respectfully disagree that Smoke WAS supposed to be Bonk's replacement. The 4th line centre doesn't get to make 2M a year.

It's funny. If the Habs had started the season 5-9 and then got hot for a couple of weeks and were middle of the pack I don't think there would be so much doom and gloom. The thing that drives me nuts about this team is the way they fly out of the gate and raise expectation levels every season. Then collapse. They have been an average to crap team going on a decade now.

Two and a half months ago I could not really make up my mind what they would be, and I still cannot make up my mind what they will be.

Are they the team that got off to strong starts nightly and regularly outshot their opponents or are they this team that gives up 45+ shots per night?

There was absolutley no reason for that meltdown on Saturday night. Nashville is not exactly the Senators in terms of scoring talent.

I have banged my head against the wall trying to figure out the reason this team chokes up games in the last 2-3 minutes and the only

conclusion I have come to is that banging your head against the wall hurts.

I still believe in the plan. A slump does not change the fact that Carey Price looks like the franchise. They are still a very young team.

It is frustrating waiting for things to change, but I am going to go to sleep at nights hoping that Sergei Kostitsyn, Ryan McDonagh and Max Pacciorety added to the current youthful core will change this listless direction they are headed on.

Other than S. Kostitsyn coming up and lighting the NHL on fire, nobody on the farm is going to change the level of this team instantly. This team will only go as far as Higgins, Pleks, Kosty, Lats, Price, Chips and Komi are going to take it. It is time they stepped up and put their stamp on this team and changed this mediocore culture.

Koivu, Kovalev and Huet have taken this team as high as it is going to go. If Montreal ever returns to glory it will not be those 3 leading the charge.

okay, let's hope for injuries, and I guess you're right about the waiving him, but is it really a huge problem, him being benched. He doesn't have to be benched permanently, more like every other game. Besides, if this results in Gainey being unable to attract 36 year old 4th liners in the future, I'm not crushed about that loss. And I will respectfully disagree that Smoke WAS supposed to be Bonk's replacement. The 4th line centre doesn't get to make 2M a year.

between the polish prince, samsonov, and now Smolinski, the Habs maybe look like a great place to derail your career? It's way to early to add Smolinski into that group, but he can't be helping the cause for future recruitment.

between the polish prince, samsonov, and now Smolinski, the Habs maybe look like a great place to derail your career? It's way to early to add Smolinski into that group, but he can't be helping the cause for future recruitment.

I know, but he's playing like garbage. How about dressing him but not playing him a lot??? It's jsut taht he hasn't brought offense, he hasn't brought defence, he hasn't brought leadership... He basically hasn't brought anything. I know we want to attract UFA's, and I was one of those last year saying you can't waive Sammy because it won't help recruit UFAs, but I just feel like Smoke brings nothing and is taking up a spot of a kid who could be learning. I'd rather play Kosto or Begin every night, or call up Lappy, then play Smoke.

Its definitely a fine balance between respecting a veteran you made promises to and not hurting your shot at future UFA signings. I just can't understand how Carbo sits down Begin and Kostopoulos and doesn't give Smoke a night in the box? I know you promised him he would play, but that doesn't mean that you can't sit him down.

Maybe a night off is what he needs to reignite his passion for the game.

There is only one way to attract UFA's.

WIN HOCKEY GAMES!!!!!

As far as we promised Smoke he'd play how about Smoke promising us he'd play. It's a two-way street.

I know, but he's playing like garbage. How about dressing him but not playing him a lot??? It's jsut taht he hasn't brought offense, he hasn't brought defence, he hasn't brought leadership... He basically hasn't brought anything. I know we want to attract UFA's, and I was one of those last year saying you can't waive Sammy because it won't help recruit UFAs, but I just feel like Smoke brings nothing and is taking up a spot of a kid who could be learning. I'd rather play Kosto or Begin every night, or call up Lappy, then play Smoke.

I wouldn't necesarily be adverse to Smoke getting goon-type minutes or benched for a few games, but there is always the counterargument that he needs quality minutes to work himself out. Allocating ice time and linemates so as to extract the maximum performance from your players is one of the greatest difficulties in coaching. Over the last few weeks, Smoke had been getting ~11 minutes and then got 16 minutes to play with Saku v. the Preds. I think Carbo tried to give Smoke quality minutes with our best centerman in an effort to get him going... it'll be interesting to see if he keeps with that strategy or blows it up after one game.

There is only one way to attract UFA's.

WIN HOCKEY GAMES!!!!!

As far as we promised Smoke he'd play how about Smoke promising us he'd play. It's a two-way street.

Who cares about how the habs treat Smolinski he has been terrible. My expectations were low to start with all I expected was for him to make veteran plays and win a few importnat faceoffs.

As for hoping for injuries I would love to see Smoke get an injury which did not criple him or hurt his non hockey life but a career ender or season ender would be great too bad it wont happen because he avoids contact like a frozen wiper blade.

Also with Halak recalled they do not need to place a player on waivers Murrays spot is open.

NEW LINES:

Higgins-Koivu-Streit

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Latendresse-Chipchura-Kostopoulos/Ryder

Begin-Smolinski-Dandenault

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/?p=70312711

Maybe this will work. Streit did well at that position last season.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

NEW LINES:

Higgins-Koivu-Streit

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Latendresse-Chipchura-Kostopoulos/Ryder

Begin-Smolinski-Dandenault

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/?p=70312711

Maybe this will work. Streit did well at that position last season.

I like this. Koivu gets Higgins back. Kosty is good with Plex and Kovy, Lats and Chipper are good together (although I liked them with Dandy, but it's okay) and hopefully Smoke won't get too much time on the 4th. I'm glad begin is back in. if I were Carbo, Begin would be centring the 4th with Kosto and Dandy, and Smoke would be benched.

I have to say that the way the habs have been playing for the past 2 weeks has got me worried. Deep down inside, I knew they were playing over their heads early on in the season. I thought they were a 7th or 8 spot team. Not 4th in the conference. But these past 2 weeks have been horrendous. Saturday nnights game was simply pathetic. A 3-0 Lead going into the Third and a 4-1 lead with 8 minutes left in the game. Losing a game like they did saturday is simply UNACCEPTABLE.

Bégin and Kostopoulos should not have been benched. Why is it that Carbo always seems to bench the guys who ACTUALLY WORK HARD? Bégin and Kostopoulos give 100% every night. Smolinski who was brought in as Bonk's replacement as the centre on the 3rd line has simply been disappointing. I'm well aware that at 36 years of age, Smolinski will not score 20 goals and have 50 points, but he's supposed to be solid defensively and is supposed to be a decent face-off man. He's been disappointing on every aspect of the game. MAybe he needs to be benched for a game...remind him what he's here for!

Other players that need to be benched...Ryder...bench him for one game. Get a fire lit under his ass. Maybe it'll get him to actually shoot ON NET!!?

I'd call up O'Byrne, and sit out Bouillon, Streit or Brisebois. Alternate them. One game Bouillon sits, the next it streit and the next it Brisebois. Give O'Byrne some ice time. Bouilon and Streit have been hit by opposing team forwards all season and its starting to show that they are second guessing themselves when they go into the corners. Get O'Byrne in there, and it changes everything. Now you could have 3 huge d-men who can not only take a hit, but give it as good as they get.(Komi-Hamrlik-O'Byrne).

As for our forwards...I'd go back to the Saku-Higgins-Latendresse line. It only last 2 games, why?

Keep Plex with Kovy and Kostitsyn, they are doing fine. Lapierre needs to be called up. THe poor kid has been playing his heart out in Ahmilton, and he definitely has a chip on his shoulder. I'm willing to bet that if he were called up, he would destroy everything in his path. He'd be like a rabid dog out on the ice, and we need that right now.

Our boys are too passive. They give up the blue line way too easily to the other team. WE need somebody on this team that will scream "WAKE UP, MOFO's!" I thikn Lapierre could be that guy!

Also this happends at a period where Markov plays hurt or at least not 100% and dont look anywhere else to explain partially the CH slumps...

Koivu and Ryder dont stand out at all for more than the golden chance they sometimes get and miss...

other then that...Chipchura lines works. Plek and Kovy do make things sparks 80% of their game but Saku and whoever plays 4th or 3rd depending on how you see things...we get NOTHING good out of 2 lines.

God Smolinski...is a right handed he can take important face offs....seriously NO he definitely sucks. Seriously do you ever see something good out of his plays and i'm trying to think of him as an overview i see NOTHING he does better than Lapierre.

Make the kids play over old veterans who are at the last milestone of their career...

Also this happends at a period where Markov plays hurt or at least not 100% and dont look anywhere else to explain partially the CH slumps...

Koivu and Ryder dont stand out at all for more than the golden chance they sometimes get and miss...

other then that...Chipchura lines works. Plek and Kovy do make things sparks 80% of their game but Saku and whoever plays 4th or 3rd depending on how you see things...we get NOTHING good out of 2 lines.

God Smolinski...is a right handed he can take important face offs....seriously NO he definitely sucks. Seriously do you ever see something good out of his plays and i'm trying to think of him as an overview i see NOTHING he does better than Lapierre.

Make the kids play over old veterans who are at the last milestone of their career...

Slomo has a NTC.. I would be happy to send his ass to the farm team. but I dont care, cause its not my money going into his 2 mil paycheck. So we gotta make him work his ass off! he has to stay on the third or fourth. But At least make the man TRY make at least an effort to win a faceoff specially on your own end! disgraceful!