One thing I don't understand

Quebecois

Seriously when i heard that refs were going to wear a microphone so they can address the crowd, i thought it was a great idea. Just like in the NFL Refs were going to be able to explain themselves on the decisions they make!

But after 2 and a half seasons of this being the case, the NHL and the refs have failed to make this worthwhile. The only time a Ref will address the audience is announcing a penalty, something that could already have been heard through the PA announcer.

Referee's should be using their microphone's way more than they are, including when play is blown dead because of hand passes and high sticks. While announcers will usually be able to disclose why the play was blown dead, it can be a lot tougher for a fan at the rink, especially a casual fan, to realize why the play stopped on a high stick or a hand pass.

I have also yet to hear an official address the crowd when the play is being reviewed, something that is a staple of the NFL's instant replay system.

If the NHL isn't going to do the Mic system right, then don't do it at all.

I definitely agree that the ref should explain the goal review... it would be cool to just have him say "the previous play is under review to determine whether a goal was scored."

even better would be ""the previous play is under review to determine whether the puck went into the net as a result of a kick."

I think having the ref announce play stoppages might slow down the game.

they have mics? Why not add a little 70s reverb effect and cheesy organ and go with Rapping Refs:

*whistle blows, ref indicates offside player, makes gangsta hand gestures while skating backwards*

"I blew, yeah I did,

cos the Mofo crossed the line,

he's just a kid,

didn't calculate the time,

didn't wait for the puck

now he's shit outta luck,

bring it back, bring it back,

gotta drop that puck,

other side of the line,

yeah it's faceoff time,

It's faceoff time!"

Seriously when i heard that refs were going to wear a microphone so they can address the crowd, i thought it was a great idea. Just like in the NFL Refs were going to be able to explain themselves on the decisions they make!

But after 2 and a half seasons of this being the case, the NHL and the refs have failed to make this worthwhile. The only time a Ref will address the audience is announcing a penalty, something that could already have been heard through the PA announcer.

Referee's should be using their microphone's way more than they are, including when play is blown dead because of hand passes and high sticks. While announcers will usually be able to disclose why the play was blown dead, it can be a lot tougher for a fan at the rink, especially a casual fan, to realize why the play stopped on a high stick or a hand pass.

I have also yet to hear an official address the crowd when the play is being reviewed, something that is a staple of the NFL's instant replay system.

If the NHL isn't going to do the Mic system right, then don't do it at all.

I'm tired of the NHL playing to the non-existent american audience. Nobody watches the games and the people in the arena's aren't "casual" fans. So there's no point or need to have the mic especially if it is for television. Everyone knows the hand signals. Bettman needs to stop turning the game into a pre-school class towards the United States. They don't care about the game, they never have, so stop ruining it for the rest of us who want to watch.

The reason why the mic doesn't work in the nhl is that the ref has always gone to the scorers table. In the football the scorers table is a thousand feet away 10 stories up. Hence the walking to mid field turning on a mic, its not for the fans but for the scorers. (orginally) now its for the fans.

Unless you move everything "upstairs" there's no need, but knowing bettman he'd probably do that.

Basketball and Hockey are similiar in that the scorers table is rink/court side. Baseball is the only sport that i can think of besides golf where the players and refs(umpires) have no contact with the scorers whatsoever. Reminds me too much of Jason and the Argonauts with Zeus on Mt. Olympus moving chess pieces around and controlling them. The chess pieces being actual people. That's baseball scoring in a nutshell.

I'm tired of the NHL playing to the non-existent american audience. Nobody watches the games and the people in the arena's aren't "casual" fans. So there's no point or need to have the mic especially if it is for television. Everyone knows the hand signals. Bettman needs to stop turning the game into a pre-school class towards the United States. They don't care about the game, they never have, so stop ruining it for the rest of us who want to watch.

Yeah, everyone who goes to hockey games is a die-hard fan. :rolleyes: What a funny thing to say. TONS of people who go to games are casual fans. I have lots of friends who don't follow hockey that much but go to a few games every year. I know a number of teachers who don't follow hockey to much but take their wives girlfriends to games somewhat often. Hell, I'd say the percentage of casual fans in the arena is higher than the percentage of casual fans watching on TV. The thing about many casual fans is that they don't really like watching on TV, but love being at a game in person.

Also, how does the refs saying, "Toronto, 2 minutes for hooking" ruin the game? It doesn't really add much, but it certainly doesn't take anything away. I agree it's worthless, but it's not hurting anything. In fact, it would add a lot if they used it to explain reviewed plays.

At least fans watchign the game at home know whats going on ie it was or wasn't a goal beacuse __________ we have the game announcers but if your at the rink there no announcemnets except goal or no goal, no explaniation of why it was/wasn't a goal.

I was watching a game on TV a while back (Think it was a Preds home game) and after the whistles you could hear the announcer in the background announcing what the whistle was for offside icing etc...

Even here in Montréal, hundreds of fans boooo on an obvious offside, stupid deserved penalities, etc.

I agree that it would be nice to hear the ref when a goal is reviewed.

*whistle blows, ref indicates offside player, makes gangsta hand gestures while skating backwards*

"I blew, yeah I did,

he's just a kid,

didn't wait for the puck

gotta drop that puck,

other side of the line,

yeah it's faceoff time,

It's faceoff time!"

:o:lol:

Didn't they mic up a ref(from the Q I think) in last years Mem Cup? IIRC it was a baddddddddddd idea cause there was a disputed goal/ when the whisle blew and the ref basically left the call up to the replay booth..........even though he originally said he blew the whistle.

anything that a ref does goes through the scores which immediately is announced by the PA.

Casual fan goes to the games mic's are made for TV, the burning log on that obscure cable channel gets higher ratings.

I disagree. I think the Mic's are made for the in-arena audience. In the case of the television audience, there is replays and an announcer who will tell you what is going on. In the case of the fans at the rink, they only hear from the PA announcer that a goal is being reviewed, and correct me if im wrong but i dont believe they show replays on the scoreboard of disputed calls to keep the fans from booing even more.

This whole thing/rant stemmed from the habs game on thursday night where a hand pass was called that i had missed. Pierre Houde explained why the play had been stopped, but it left me wondering how a casual fan (yes there are many of them who attend hockey games) might have interpreted the stoppage in play.

I'm still undecided on the issue.

One thing I certainly don't like is when the mics don't work and you can't hear what the ref is saying anyway.

Make better use of the jumbotrons. If they aren't already showing who got a penelty and what for, they should start doing that. "Darcy Tucker, TOR, 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct."

they have mics? Why not add a little 70s reverb effect and cheesy organ and go with Rapping Refs:

"I blew, yeah I did,

he's just a kid,

didn't wait for the puck

gotta drop that puck,

other side of the line,

yeah it's faceoff time,

It's faceoff time!"

:bow: