Game Thread | Lightning vs. Habs | 12/11/07

Spider-Man NL

After reading about it more on TSN this morning it sounds like Richards is okay to play tonight.

They said he could have come back for the 3rd last night but since they were being blown out they didn't want to risk it.

Edited by Habsfan24

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The H stands for habitant, which means home in french.

please please please... can people stop saying this.

This is simply wrong.

H stands for "Hockey"

the CH in the logo is actually to be read CHC as in "Club de Hockey Canadien"

before it was "CHC" it was "CAC", which stood for "Club Athletique Canadien"

sorry... pet peeve.

NOW GO HABS GO

Edited by simonus

it might used to be habitant but that was 70 years ago !!

anyways whos cares what it really means. H should mean Home win !!

This is simply wrong.

H stands for "Hockey"

sorry... pet peeve.

NOW GO HABS GO

The new meaning should be

'H'urtin for the'C'ertain

14.gif

This is simply wrong.

H stands for "Hockey"

sorry... pet peeve.

NOW GO HABS GO

Simonus is right. the "H" in the "CH" is for Hockey, as in Club de HOCKEY Canadien.

Habitant is not french for home. Habitant is a term used to refer to the people of Québec way back in the day. (not the city folk!)

Habitant is not french for home. Habitant is a term used to refer to the people of Québec way back in the day. (not the city folk!)

I understood it to basically mean "pioneer", especially the coureur de bois.

EDIT: according to Wiki (i know...), "habitant" referred to those who lived on the seigneur's land.... funnily enough it says that a lot of New Frenchmen rejected the term as belittling.

Edited by simonus

Look what I started? :blink:

Question: Why are the Montreal Canadiens called the Habs?

Answer: Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17th Century. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team.

Having said that, the nickname was the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" was Tex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for "Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Look what I started? :blink:

Question: Why are the Montreal Canadiens called the Habs?

Answer: Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17th Century. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team.

Having said that, the nickname was the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" was Tex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for "Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."

yeah, I had always thought that Rickard got his info from a dismissive answer Dandurand gave him... that is probably just lore (or bad memory on my part).

I understood it to basically mean "pioneer", especially the coureur de bois.

EDIT: according to Wiki (i know...), "habitant" referred to those who lived on the seigneur's land.... funnily enough it says that a lot of New Frenchmen rejected the term as belittling.

Not that I'm aware of. I was always told that it pretty much meant everyone who lived in the Province.

That is true. Alot of people thought it was a condescending term to use.

actually to clarify the h stands for hockey the name of the team is le club de hockey de canadiens hence ch Habitants is simply a fond term in french and became a popular nick name

Edited by habs rule

The Habs seem pretty tense.

i agree, i think this comes back to guy being called out in the media, i really think we are having major problems in the dressing room again this year..i hope iam wrong, but it dont look like the guys are having fun out there..

GO HABS GO