Game Thread | Lightning vs. Habs | 12/11/07

Spider-Man NL

Oh you quoted Wikipedia... you must be right.

Have you ever met a tried and true Leaf fan? I do not admire a bunch of damn fools who are at fault for their teams dismal performance of the last 40 years. Seeing as you were 2 when Harold Ballard died you probably would not understand the things that happened at the Cashbox on Carlton for most of his ownership. Or that the Toronto Teachers Pension Plan owns a majority stake in the Leafs right now and is more concerned with slapping a Logo on anything they can (Maple Leaf Square Condos) to make money for their pension, then they are putting a winning team on the ice. Why is this possible? Stupid fans who blindly follow a team when they are being taken advantage of.

So excuse others for deciding not to be a mindless idiot and sit through garbage just to appease the true 19 year old fans out there.

You keep telling yourself that you are a TRUE FAN, while others who have just as many posts on this board as you are not.

The quote from wikipedia is an opinion, one that is shared by me. Were you expecting an academic source about fanhood? It's my opinion, excuse me for expressing it on a message board.

Yes. I live in the Toronto area and I've met many, many tried and true Leaf fans. My great uncle hasnt seen a championship since he was in his late 30s, while I'm sure he hates what ownership does to his team he's not going to give up and start rooting for someone else. That's admirable. If he started rooting for the Habs i would be extremely disappointed in his dedication. I know all about the Teacher's Pension Plan thank you very much. I live in the damn city.

Post totals? Why does this even factor into the equation? I guess I better start posing pointless messages in game threads so I can get my total up so I can express my opinion!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quote from wikipedia is an opinion, one that is shared by me. Were you expecting an academic source about fanhood? It's my opinion, excuse me for expressing it on a message board.

Yes. I live in the Toronto area and I've met many, many tried and true Leaf fans. My great uncle hasnt seen a championship since he was in his late 30s, while I'm sure he hates what ownership does to his team he's not going to give up and start rooting for someone else. That's admirable. If he started rooting for the Habs i would be extremely disappointed in his dedication. I know all about the Teacher's Pension Plan thank you very much. I live in the damn city.

Post totals? Why does this even factor into the equation? I guess I better start posing pointless messages in game threads so I can get my total up so I can express my opinion!

Post totals factor into the equation because

"PEOPLE WHO POST OVER 1000 TIMES ABOUT A TEAM THAT HAS LOST 80 TIMES IN THE LAST 2 SEASON ARE NOT BANDWAGON FANS"

That proves your wikipedia assertion wrong for anybody who has been posting here for longer than 2-3 weeks. If you have 1000+ posts on a messageboard about a team that has played .500 hockey for the past 10 years you HAVE watched this team lose.

If we wanted to have a dick measuring contest about who is a bigger fan on this board, I am pretty sure a 19 year old would not win it.

You can admire Leaf fans all you like, because that is what the Habs have become. And that is what Pisses off tried and true habs fans.

The fact that you feel you are justified in questioning people's dedication is laughable.

As far as your opinion...how can you have an opinion on somebody's fanatacism when you have never met them, watched a game with them or had a conversation with them? Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but who cares about an uninformed opinion?

Edited by Wamsley01

Post totals factor into the equation because

"PEOPLE WHO POST OVER 1000 TIMES ABOUT A TEAM THAT HAS LOST 80 TIMES IN THE LAST 2 SEASON ARE NOT BANDWAGON FANS"

That proves your wikipedia assertion wrong for anybody who has been posting here for longer than 2-3 weeks. If you have 1000+ posts on a messageboard about a team that has played .500 hockey for the past 10 years you HAVE watched this team lose.

If we wanted to have a dick measuring contest about who is a bigger fan on this board, I am pretty sure a 19 year old would not win it.

You can admire Leaf fans all you like, because that is what the Habs have become. And that is what Pisses off tried and true habs fans.

The fact that you feel you are justified in questioning people's dedication is laughable.

As far as your opinion...how can you have an opinion on somebody's fanatacism when you have never met them, watched a game with them or had a conversation with them? Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but who cares about an uninformed opinion?

Ill start with the last bit, my claim was that people who abandon the team when the going gets tough are not true fans. Ill stand by that claim. I might have jumped the gun because your right, i don't know anyone on this board, but i personally don't agree with ceasing to watch the team because of their poor performance. If thats what some people do, then I disagree with that. You obviously are okay with it. Good for you. You're entitled.

Your right, I probably wouldn't win a "competition" to see who is the biggest Habs fan. There are many serious fans on this board, the fact that I'm 20 has nothing to do with it.

Do you want the fans to go on strike? stop showing up to games until theres a winning team?

What would you call the "fans" who left in the third period when the Habs were down 2-1?

Ill start with the last bit, my claim was that people who abandon the team when the going gets tough are not true fans. Ill stand by that claim. I might have jumped the gun because your right, i don't know anyone on this board, but i personally don't agree with ceasing to watch the team because of their poor performance. If thats what some people do, then I disagree with that. You obviously are okay with it. Good for you. You're entitled.

Your right, I probably wouldn't win a "competition" to see who is the biggest Habs fan. There are many serious fans on this board, the fact that I'm 20 has nothing to do with it.

Do you want the fans to go on strike? stop showing up to games until theres a winning team?

What would you call the "fans" who left in the third period when the Habs were down 2-1?

You are entitled to your belief. But it is insulting when you are told that you are a bandwagon jumper. Some people react with anger after a loss, some with disbelief, some with apathy. Everybody displays it differently. I responded because you wondered what the big deal is with what you said.

My first reaction to last night was "###### this team, I am done!". But that goes away. If I am not watching, I will still be thinking about it, so it really does not matter.

I do not want the fans to go on strike. If I was a Leaf fan though, I probably would. As long as Gainey has a plan in place that I agree with I will not be screaming for immediate results. But I want to see progress. Right now, it is hard to find bright spots. But that could change in 2 weeks. Higgins and Huet appeared out of nowhere in 2006 and Latendresse and Plekanec turned up the heat in the second half last season. So I have not given up, I am just frustrated.

What would I call the fans who left when the Habs were down 2-1 in the third? Dumb

If they walked out of the Carolina game I could understand, last night. Not so much.

For the record. I consider a bandwagon fan somebody who knows 4-5 players on the team, paid no attention to them for the first 60-70 games of the season and when they clinch a playoff berth wants to buy a jersey and get playoff tickets. They then cheer along in the playoffs and when they lose they put their jersey away and don't think about the team until their next playoff run.

Bandwagon fans do not agonize over line combinations, Hamilton callups, watching Paccioretty and McDonagh reports and losing sleep when they fail to convert a 4-3 in OT. There are not many bandwagon fans in here in Decemeber. They don't arrive until April.

For the record. I consider a bandwagon fan somebody who knows 4-5 players on the team, paid no attention to them for the first 60-70 games of the season and when they clinch a playoff berth wants to buy a jersey and get playoff tickets. They then cheer along in the playoffs and when they lose they put their jersey away and don't think about the team until their next playoff run.

Bandwagon fans do not agonize over line combinations, Hamilton callups, watching Paccioretty and McDonagh reports and losing sleep when they fail to convert a 4-3 in OT. There are not many bandwagon fans in here in Decemeber. They don't arrive until April.

I wish I was a bandwagon fan!

It hurts too much right now, worrying over the things you just described. Watching the team play makes me tense, reading and posting here makes me angry too often lately, staying at home Saturday nights instead of going out and having fun with my friends (stupid leaf homers) while we are playing like this is pissing me off.

Why oh why can't I be like the average leaf fan in Ontario?

I wish I was a bandwagon fan!

It hurts too much right now, worrying over the things you just described. Watching the team play makes me tense, reading and posting here makes me angry too often lately, staying at home Saturday nights instead of going out and having fun with my friends (stupid leaf homers) while we are playing like this is pissing me off.

Why oh why can't I be like the average leaf fan in Ontario?

Yeah, the pain is what seperates the diehards from the bandwagon. The last 10 year have been torture for me. I hope my son does not have to endure this pain. Hopefully the 20 year rebuilding plan will have taken effect by then.

Hardly the same

Care to elaborate?

For the record, bandwagon fan was too strong of a word for the people who don't plan on watching anymore. I was as pissed off as anyone, sometimes we go overboard/. But i just fail to comprehend how someone can come on to a message board after a losing streak such as this, discuss the Habs in the middle of the day, and then go home and not even watch them play at night. And not because they have more important things to do, thats much different, but because they don't want to see the team fail anymore.

I'm loyal to the end, might not be very smart of me, but its how I am.

Yeah, the pain is what seperates the diehards from the bandwagon. The last 10 year have been torture for me. I hope my son does not have to endure this pain. Hopefully the 20 year rebuilding plan will have taken effect by then.

As the expression goes " No pain no gain". I still believe the club is moving in the right direction. We are still in the midst of rebuilding and our youngsters are improving. So many on here thought Chipchurra would never make the big team. That was a year ago, and now here he is and getting better. Remember when we all questioned if Pleks could ever crack the line up? I do.

It is my promise to you, your son and mine that the Habs will improve and be serious contenders soon.

As for fair weather fans, it is December in Canada,, what 'fair' weather? It is cold wet and so on. Living in Nova Scotia, I only hope to be in fair weather come playoffs. (actually that is a lie as I will be down south by then :) )

Care to elaborate?

For the record, bandwagon fan was too strong of a word for the people who don't plan on watching anymore. I was as pissed off as anyone, sometimes we go overboard/. But i just fail to comprehend how someone can come on to a message board after a losing streak such as this, discuss the Habs in the middle of the day, and then go home and not even watch them play at night. And not because they have more important things to do, thats much different, but because they don't want to see the team fail anymore.

I'm loyal to the end, might not be very smart of me, but its how I am.

I am commenting on a mass of faceless fans. If I talked to each one individually I am sure some of them could persuade me to legitimate reasons for leaving, and some, that after a conversation I would stand firmly behind them being dumb.

You are commenting directly to a poster about comments made on a board.

As the expression goes " No pain no gain". I still believe the club is moving in the right direction. We are still in the midst of rebuilding and our youngsters are improving. So many on here thought Chipchurra would never make the big team. That was a year ago, and now here he is and getting better. Remember when we all questioned if Pleks could ever crack the line up? I do.

It is my promise to you, your son and mine that the Habs will improve and be serious contenders soon.

As for fair weather fans, it is December in Canada,, what 'fair' weather? It is cold wet and so on. Living in Nova Scotia, I only hope to be in fair weather come playoffs. (actually that is a lie as I will be down south by then :) )

I will hold you to that promise.

I remember watching Pleks, Ryder, Ward, Komisarek, Hainsey and Beauchemin on the 2003 Bulldogs Calder Cup run and wondering which of them would someday play with the Habs. I have faith in the youth, but it is frustrating. But our expectations were probably to high for a team that has so much youth.

I feel like jumping in to the fairweather fan discussion! ;)

I try to watch every game...unless there's something really important I have to do. I usually get to watch about 70 games a year on T.V and I Am lucky enough to get to go to the Bell Centre about 5-6 times a year.

My problem with the habs is that I am seriously starting to believe that I am bad luck for my hometown team. I,m serious! I bring bad luck to our boys.

here's an example. I'm watching the game with my buddies at my place. The Boys are losing the game, there's about 7 minutes left and they are down by one goal. I get up to go to the Bathroom, and our boys score to tie the game. I come back to watch the last few exciting minutes of the game, and as soon as i sit my ass down on the couch, the other team scores.

another example. I'm watching the game, and a commercial comes on. I switch channel to another show. I watch that show for about 3 minutes and when I switch back, the boys are celebrating at centre ice cause someone just scored for the Habs. So i put the remote down and continue watching the game...and not 60 seconds later, the other team scores.

I'm telling you, i'm bad luck for the boys.

So now, whenever I'm watching the game with my friends, and it's a tight game with only a few minutes left I get up, and pretend i have to go to the bathroom. I stay there for a while...hoping, no! PRAYING that i 'll hear my friends scream GOAL!!!!! so I can just come running out of the can to join in the celebration!

I think i need to see a shrink! :unsure::wacko:

Edited by Habsfan

I feel like jumping in to the fairweather fan discussion! ;)

I try to watch every game...unless there's something really important I have to do. I usually get to watch about 70 games a year on T.V and I Am lucky enough to get to go to the Bell Centre about 5-6 times a year.

My problem with the habs is that I am seriously starting to believe that I am bad luck for my hometown team. I,m serious! I bring bad luck to our boys.

here's an example. I'm watching the game with my buddies at my place. The Boys are losing the game, there's about 7 minutes left and they are down by one goal. I get up to go to the Bathroom, and our boys score to tie the game. I come back to watch the last few exciting minutes of the game, and as soon as i sit my ass down on the couch, the other team scores.

another example. I'm watching the game, and a commercial comes on. I switch channel to another show. I watch that show for about 3 minutes and when I switch back, the boys are celebrating at centre ice cause someone just scored for the Habs. So i put the remote down and continue watching the game...and not 60 seconds later, the other team scores.

I'm telling you, i'm bad luck for the boys.

So now, whenever I'm watching the game with my friends, and it's a tight game with only a few minutes left I get up, and pretend i have to go to the bathroom. I stay there for a while...hoping, no! PRAYING that i 'll hear my friends scream GOAL!!!!! so I can just come running out of the can to join in the celebration!

I think i need to see a shrink! :unsure::wacko:

Funny you should mention this.

When I was 12 or 13 (85 Playoffs or something) the Habs were trailing the Bruins 3-0. My sister went to the bathroom and the Habs scored. So I decided I would see if it worked. So I went to the bathroom and they scored again. 3-2 Bruins. So the rest of the 3rd period consisted of me and my sister going up and down to the bathroom to tie the game :lol:

No dice. They lost.

But at least you know you are not the only crazy one

Thanks, that makes me feel better!;)

Edited by Habsfan

Funny you should mention this.

When I was 12 or 13 (85 Playoffs or something) the Habs were trailing the Bruins 3-0. My sister went to the bathroom and the Habs scored. So I decided I would see if it worked. So I went to the bathroom and they scored again. 3-2 Bruins. So the rest of the 3rd period consisted of me and my sister going up and down to the bathroom to tie the game :lol:

No dice. They lost.

This story reminded me of Game 3 in 2002 against the B's. Habs were down 3-1 when the third period rolled around, I'd been at a job interview and missed the first two periods :angry: .

Anyways, this is probably the best game I've ever been able to consciously remember. As soon as i flicked the game on, the Habs scored. I believe it was Audette but I can't quite remember right now.

Couple minutes later it was Gilmour tying it up at 3. Then Saku scored his first since his bout with cancer to put us ahead. I get shivers seeing that goal to this day. Joe Juneau scored an empty netter and we won 5-3.

I figured I was good luck at that point, but then game 4 of the Canes series that year made me think otherwise. I had a commitment that again forced me to miss the first two periods. I believe i arrived at home in time to see Therrien ripping into Kerry Fraser...

This story reminded me of Game 3 in 2002 against the B's. Habs were down 3-1 when the third period rolled around, I'd been at a job interview and missed the first two periods :angry: .

Anyways, this is probably the best game I've ever been able to consciously remember. As soon as i flicked the game on, the Habs scored. I believe it was Audette but I can't quite remember right now.

Couple minutes later it was Gilmour tying it up at 3. Then Saku scored his first since his bout with cancer to put us ahead. I get shivers seeing that goal to this day. Joe Juneau scored an empty netter and we won 5-3.

I figured I was good luck at that point, but then game 4 of the Canes series that year made me think otherwise. I had a commitment that again forced me to miss the first two periods. I believe i arrived at home in time to see Therrien ripping into Kerry Fraser...

That Koivu goal was huge. The sad thing is, those 2 Bruins series have been the highlight of being a habs fan for the last 10 years.

That Koivu goal was huge. The sad thing is, those 2 Bruins series have been the highlight of being a habs fan for the last 10 years.

I know, the Koivu goal was the best Habs moment ive experienced and yet it probably doesnt even register on my dad's radar screen. Not fair!

I know, the Koivu goal was the best Habs moment ive experienced and yet it probably doesnt even register on my dad's radar screen. Not fair!

I think for me it comes down to

Claude Lemieux in OT versus the Whalers in Game 7 in 86

Roy stopping 11 shots in the first 9 minutes of OT versus the Rangers in 86 with Claude Lemieux scoring the winner on a breakaway

Desjardins hat trick in 93 to save Game 2

Leclair winning back to back games in OT

Guy Lafleur against the Bruins, but I barely remember that

Probably Desjardins tying goal and OT winner though. That was impending doom followed by new life in 25 minutes! :clap:

Edited by Wamsley01

The Lafleur goal is one for the ages. However, I was IN THE FORUM for the Desjardins goal that tied it up on the PP after the McSorley stick incident. Never have so many people gone from complete and abject despair to such absolute ecstasy in so short a time. I had a high for days after :clap::clap:

Little did I know the era of meaningful Habs' victories was nearly over for the next ten years...maybe 20 if this keeps up :puke:

I'd have to say that for me, the Desjardins goals in the second game were up there!

So was Lemieux's goal in game 7 versus the Whalers.

Another game that I really liked was game 6 on the 93 division semi-finals against the Nords(actually, that entire first round was just nuts) but watching Dipietro skate all over the place after scoring a goal on Hextall was just priceless.

...and lets not forget the Wink King Patrick gave T. Sandstrom of the kings in the 93 finals. That will be remembered as a classic... forever!