Game Thread | Habs vs. Flyers | 12/13/07

Spider-Man NL

If by talent you mean pure flashy skills, Andrei is the more talented one by far. He could be the most talented player in the organization after Kovalev and Markov. But Sergei seems to be a bit more physical (not that Andrei is soft) and a bit more driven and he's shown the ability to put up points at every level he's played at so far. Andrei, on the other hand, took a long time developing ot the North American game and has never really put up impressive point totals in NA. He's really starting to gain confidance (notice how he shoots more often and attempts to deke more instead of dumping the puck in) though and I expect the points to come. The few shifts he played with his brother were incredible, I just wonder what we do when Smolinski and Begin come back. I guess this is it for Ryder, he's gotta go and at this point in time I'd be happy with receiving a 1st round pick or maybe even a 2nd.

When they come back, if the guys who played last night are still getting it mostly done, rotate Beige and Smoke into the lineup (if you think you HAVE to because otherwise it's disrespectful to the vets) every few games on the bottom lines, but otherwise, let the young kids go with it. I'd rather Lappy, Lats, Chipper, even Kostopo get the most time on the bottom lines here. And I think Dandy's played better than either Beige or Smoke. so, if we have to play them for the "keeping the vets happy" argument, even though I disagree, make it minimal. The kids, even if they're not playing fantastic all the time, still have the potential to grow into a lot more. Smoke is on his last legs. Beige is a solid grinder and agitator, but so is Lappy and he's the future, and I think we all want the future to start now. The only way this "rebuilding" fast tracks is by giving the kids enough ice time to play and learn.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if we really have to keep Begin happy, he's been outplayed by other players, he's lost his spot. Smolinski is the one I think we should be respectful to as he's a new addition via UFA - he's 36 and all he wanted was some job security and to play his final season in Montreal. He is playing himself off the lineup though and I was happy when he got hurt. I still think Ryder is the first to go though, atleast Begin works hard and is very useful on the PK - in short, he has a role and Ryder doesn't.

Did any of you notice Lats throw himself to the ice to block shots. He did it twice. That was an unexpected surprise!

AS far as the team is concerned, I know it's hard to keep a level head about this team. WE do have a tendancy of getting overly depressed when they lose and a little too excited when they win!(i'm the first one to complain when they lose!!) but i think that it's still a little too early to figure out if they'll make the playoffs. BY game 60, i think we'll have a much better idea if our boys will make it to the dance in spring!

I don't know if we really have to keep Begin happy, he's been outplayed by other players, he's lost his spot. Smolinski is the one I think we should be respectful to as he's a new addition via UFA - he's 36 and all he wanted was some job security and to play his final season in Montreal. He is playing himself off the lineup though and I was happy when he got hurt. I still think Ryder is the first to go though, atleast Begin works hard and is very useful on the PK - in short, he has a role and Ryder doesn't.

I agree with what you're saying. So we don't have to play Beige unless the current guys playing his spot (Kostopo, Lappy) play themselves out of the spot.

For Smoke, when he comes back, I suppose just give him limited ice time on the 4th and don't play him every game? Is that enough respect and job security? Honestly, I prefer having Beige on the ice to smoke. To me, Beige tries harder and brings more energy, plus there's less of a chance that Carbo will try to put him on Koivu's wing (shudder!), but really I'd rather not play either of them next to the kiddie options we have.

You're right about Ryder though, at least the other two still have a role (however limited it might be) Ryder can't do offense right now, adn he can't do defense. and we can't really afford to insert him in the line up and wait for him to find himself again, not when we're trying to win games and he doesn't bring the goals. The other guys who can take his place have a much better all around game and still manage to contribute even when they're not scoring. So we either trade him, but we won't get much back, or we lose him at the end the season and just bench him and only play him when we run into a rut and one of the guys who stole his spot plays themselves out of the line up. I agree with what Wamsley said earlier though (possibly in a diff thread) that he may be worth more for a possible 10 goals somewhere down the line this season then whatever he'll bring back in a trade...

I agree with what you're saying. So we don't have to play Beige unless the current guys playing his spot (Kostopo, Lappy) play themselves out of the spot.

For Smoke, when he comes back, I suppose just give him limited ice time on the 4th and don't play him every game? Is that enough respect and job security? Honestly, I prefer having Beige on the ice to smoke. To me, Beige tries harder and brings more energy, plus there's less of a chance that Carbo will try to put him on Koivu's wing (shudder!), but really I'd rather not play either of them next to the kiddie options we have.

You're right about Ryder though, at least the other two still have a role (however limited it might be) Ryder can't do offense right now, adn he can't do defense. and we can't really afford to insert him in the line up and wait for him to find himself again, not when we're trying to win games and he doesn't bring the goals. The other guys who can take his place have a much better all around game and still manage to contribute even when they're not scoring. So we either trade him, but we won't get much back, or we lose him at the end the season and just bench him and only play him when we run into a rut and one of the guys who stole his spot plays themselves out of the line up. I agree with what Wamsley said earlier though (possibly in a diff thread) that he may be worth more for a possible 10 goals somewhere down the line this season then whatever he'll bring back in a trade...

It just becomes clearer everyday that he is not a part of the long term plan. Neither side has commited to each other for more than a year, so why should Bob stunt the development of other players to help Ryder leave in 5 months. This is going to end ugly with Ryder holding a huge grudge, even though he brought this on himself.

Yup, and he was 2 for 2 as well!

Good job on that, Lats.

:hlogo:

I just read in today's LaPresse that LAts actually blocked 4 shots last night. He might not have goten any points but at least he contributed to the success of last night!

I just read in today's LaPresse that LAts actually blocked 4 shots last night. He might not have goten any points but at least he contributed to the success of last night!

It was wonderful to see and he is so big that when he is sprawled on the ice it makes it virtaully impossible to get the puck over him and on net.

A few more hits would have been nice though.

Edited by JMMR

It was wonderful to see and he is so big that when he is sprawled on the ice it makes it virtaully impossible to get the puck over him and on net.

I still get nightmares about the block that hit him and went over Huet last year in the final game.

I still get nightmares about the block that hit him and went over Huet last year in the final game.

Yeah that was freak though and will happen about once every 2000 times.

... and the team990 just announced that Lats and Andrei Kostitsyn skipped practice today while nursing injuries.

I am sure they will both be okay for Saturday.

... and the team990 just announced that Lats and Andrei Kostitsyn skipped practice today while nursing injuries.

Andrei got blindsided by Smith behing the Flyers' net and hit the boards with what seemed his shoulder. He skipped a shift right after so it might be that injury.

Lats blocked 4 shots last night, maybe one of them caught him hard.

I've never felt very strongly about him this way or that. Over all I like him but I figure he's a bit overhyped and will need some time to grow into his role. But I DO like the way he's been finding different ways to contribute no matter where he's played (1st, 2nd, 3rd line). and I really like his chemistry with Chips.

I think if we can keep getting the players to contribute in whatever way game by game, we're in good shape. Not everyone's gonna score each night, but blocking shots, more hits, hustling, etc. This is all important too, and usually decides the tempo of the game.

Andrei got blindsided by Smith behing the Flyers' net and hit the boards with what seemed his shoulder. He skipped a shift right after so it might be that injury.

Lats blocked 4 shots last night, maybe one of them caught him hard.

Actually Kostitsyn was seen with an ice bag on his knee.

It just becomes clearer everyday that he is not a part of the long term plan. Neither side has commited to each other for more than a year, so why should Bob stunt the development of other players to help Ryder leave in 5 months. This is going to end ugly with Ryder holding a huge grudge, even though he brought this on himself.

He's not doing anything for us except take up capspace, rot on the bench and taking up a roster spot from a better or younger player. I'd be happy if we get any good pick for him or any decent prospect. Washington could be a trade partnet. Or Vancouver.

The guy prides himself on being such a gun and proves to be an ass every year by threatening arbitration and then chickening out at the end because he gets all insecure of the TRUTH being told.

Screw him! Put the puck in the net and shut up. I say this with a grain of salt, but maybe we should have traded the "Leaf Fan" instead of Ribs. Ribs was a little into himself but at least he scored, scores, and loved playing for the Habs...........

I thought he was supposed to be that power hitting machine when we first got him. What happened? After his first few games he hurt that one guy last year and hasn't really been the same since. As far as hitting goes.

I have faith in Lats. He'll find himself. Super glad the media isn't all over him.

The guy prides himself on being such a gun and proves to be an ass every year by threatening arbitration and then chickening out at the end because he gets all insecure of the TRUTH being told.

Screw him! Put the puck in the net and shut up. I say this with a grain of salt, but maybe we should have traded the "Leaf Fan" instead of Ribs. Ribs was a little into himself but at least he scored, scores, and loved playing for the Habs...........

wow! you really don't like the guy. I don't think he's playing well, and I don't think he's exceptionally skilled, minus his wrist shot, which has disappeared anyway, but I don't think he's all as bad as you're saying either. And Ribeiro, no matter how great he gets somewhere else (and I wish him all the best) was not going to work out here. His head was too inflated by being hte hometown "rockstar" type, and he was never gonna get to be everything they hyped him out to be. Sure, it happens to all the offensive type french canadians who play here, but some handle it better than others. Lats has handled it exceptionally. Ribs' mouth was too big, and his ego / attitude was too uncontrollable.

I've never felt very strongly about him this way or that. Over all I like him but I figure he's a bit overhyped and will need some time to grow into his role. But I DO like the way he's been finding different ways to contribute no matter where he's played (1st, 2nd, 3rd line). and I really like his chemistry with Chips.

I agree that the media overhyped this kid as the second coming of... Just give him time and he'll become one of the better power forwards in the league.

Did I tell you guys that I met Guillaume last summer at the Pinnokio Bar In Montreal(i think it was in July) You should have seen the girls throwing themselves at the kid.

I managed to get his attention(he was behind the bar with one of the barmaids) and paid him a shot of Vodka, and i Told him not to let all the Hype go to his head. He seemed to take me seriously, which kinda surprised me since it was obvious he was starting to get a little drunk. (he had a microphone in his hands and was singing along to the music)

He told me that the Habs had prepared him pretty well(he was given courses on all sorts of things by the organization) and told me that even though it was hard sometimes not to let the hype go to his head, that he had his parents who always kept him grounded(not in the punishment sense of the word!)

Edited by Habsfan

cool story Habsfan... but c'mon!!!

Let the kid operate.

Yeah I know. I only talked to hiim for about 4 or 5 minutes. I had my own shit going on! :B)

LOL, Habsfan Cockblocked Lats

Cockblocked! Haven't heard that one in a long time! But No, i did Not cockblock the kid. He was doing fine when i left him. Anyways, that place has a girls to gusy raion of about 60%/40%...so it's not like he missed out on any options! ;)

Cockblocked! Haven't heard that one in a long time! But No, i did Not cockblock the kid. He was doing fine when i left him. Anyways, that place has a girls to gusy raion of about 60%/40%...so it's not like he missed out on any options! ;)

I thought my friend had invented that word. lol