Game Thread | Habs vs. Capitals | 12/20/07

Cataclaw

It means that UP TO THIS POINT, Huet stops more of the pucks shot at him than Price does. Which is the whole point of goaltending, last time I checked.

It's like Ric Flair said, to be the man...you have to beat the man (Wooo!) Until Price clearly outplays Huet, there shoudn't be an discussion of a goaltending controversy: Huet is the #1

Thats true, but what gets me is whenever either guy loses a game its "we shoulda started the other guy" But I guess thats life playig for the Habs.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed but i think a team should aim for the top, setting high goals keeps you working. I am glad we're not aiming for the 8th spot as he had in recent years . . .

Don't forget that the playoffs were considered a lock at this time last year!!!

Thats true, but what gets me is whenever either guy loses a game its "we shoulda started the other guy" But I guess thats life playig for the Habs.

hehehe.... so true.!

GO HABS GO! I'm ready for a winning streak boys... this road trip will be huge. we always suck lemons at christmas time every season. Let change it here and now. putting this road trip to good use and rack up the points in the standings. it would also mean that BG will start looking for that trade deadline pickup or a major trade that puts us into the the cup contender we can be!

GO HABS GO!

Rangers lost tonight, we officially move up from 6th to 5th.

Boston still holds #4, but they're only 1 (or 2) points ahead of us (depending on the outcome of the shootout in progress)

They just lost the shootout. We're 5th with 39 points.

Edited by les_glorieux

They just lost the shootout. They have a game in hand I think though.

34 games for both teams, so they're up by 1 point with 0 games in hand. We can overtake them!

Then we'll be just.. sigh.. 8 points behind Ottawa for #1.

Oh well, gotta set the bar high, like everyone says. In the meantime, let's cherish this win and get the positivity flowing again. Tired of the shiat that's been going on!

GO HABS GO! :clap: :hlogo:

YES! Leafs lose.. this is a perfect night!

woo hooo!

GO HABS GO! ya baby!

ok.. I jumped the gun.. but I can dream with just min's left in the 3rd.. :)

Edited by Chips

2-1 Tampa beats.. the maple LAUGHS!

na na na na...

na na na na...

hey hey hay.. GOOD night! yippe!

YES! Leafs lose.. this is a perfect night!

woo hooo!

GO HABS GO! ya baby!

ok.. I jumped the gun.. but I can dream with just min's left in the 3rd.. :)

Haha, Lecavalier with 42 seconds to go.

<Toronto> I can has 1 point?

<Tampa Bay> NOT YOURS

<Toronto> Noo dey be stealin' my 1 point!

Edited by Cataclaw

God we stank. How in the HELL did we win that game??? We're so PASSIVE... we give up our blue line so easily to the opposing team. The Capitals made us look like pee-wees for 55 out of 60 minutes. The CAPITALS!!

Something is just NOT right. Our group of players is NOT as bad as we show on the ice.

Nice to pick up the 2 points tonite. Badly outshot, and i thought outplayed, but Huet was the difference. Lotsa bad giveaways tonite. Lots of tough saves that Huet seemed to make look easy. Nice to see little Kosty score his first tonite. Maybe Ryder should try getting some garbage goals by paying the price. Not his style though. Good return to the lineup for Lats with a couple. Have to admit that although i've been a Bouillon basher for a long time, he played a very strong game tonite. And I wanted Streit to have a chance on D this year, but maybe he is just better suited as a forward and pointman on the PP. Nothing wrong with him on the PK. Have to wonder where Begin and Smokes will fit back in? With the exception of his bad penalty in the Washinngton zone, i like the spark of Laps.

Playoffs? Goaltending battle?

Neither one yet.

Tonight was another game we would normally lose, except Huet was on and Kolzig got cold between shots. Bored to tears at times I'd say.

As for the goaltending status, Huet is back, Price filled in well and showed he will make it. He handles the puck so well for a young kid. I give him his rookie errors and am glad he is there. Huet is by far more experienced, and hopefully the push from the bench drives the best out of him. Wouldn't it be nice if he stole us the games that we normally lose around this time of year? For a change we would be looking good come Allstar break.

2 pts, all that matters. Keep the faith.

God we stank. How in the HELL did we win that game??? We're so PASSIVE... we give up our blue line so easily to the opposing team. The Capitals made us look like pee-wees for 55 out of 60 minutes. The CAPITALS!!

Something is just NOT right. Our group of players is NOT as bad as we show on the ice.

I disagree..

Sure, Habs didn't play to their full potential and there were numerous flaws in their game and i recognize that, i'll be the first to admit: difficulty in clearing the zone, trouble winning battles in their own zone, etc.

However the Caps had a god awful defense tonight, leaving gaping holes for people like Plex to walk in and get open net goals. Kolzig was terrible.

However: Habs PP was great, Huet was great, Lats was ok, Koivu was ok, Kovalev's line was ok, Higgins was good, and heck.. it was an minimally acceptable performance, but still good enough to win and that's all that counts.

I'd give them a B- or C+, as a whole, tonight.

Props to Sergei for goal #1!

Edited by Cataclaw

It means that UP TO THIS POINT, Huet stops more of the pucks shot at him than Price does. Which is the whole point of goaltending, last time I checked.

It's like Ric Flair said, to be the man...you have to beat the man (Wooo!) Until Price clearly outplays Huet, there shoudn't be an discussion of a goaltending controversy: Huet is the #1

Well I guess that Tim Thomas and Chris Osgood would be better than Huet then. As well as being better than Luongo, Kipprusoff and Brodeur.

I don't judge players on stats alone. Like I said earlier, Huet is a 31 year old and Price is 20 and if Huet was head and shoulders better these

discussions would not be going on. Huet has had some great games, Huet has had some bad games.

But 3 games he has been bad enough to make a difference in a loss.

The first game against the Leafs he blew an easy one that cost them the game.

The second game against the Leafs he blew 2 easy ones that cost them the game.

These were not games that they were outplayed and he was bad. They outplayed the Leafs and came away with nothing because Huet was bad.

Price seems to make the saves he is supposed to and has not made spectacular saves. He has not spectacularly stolen any games, but he has had

3-4 games where he was peppered with 15-20 first period shots and the Habs have come out even. The Habs have gained there legs and instead of being

down 2-3 they are still in it. I don't remember any games that he has started where the Habs have outplayed the opposition and he cost them a game.

If anybody can remember any speak up.

This is not a Price is better response. It is a Huet has stolen some games, but given away a couple. In the grand scheme of things what's the difference?

They are fairly even, but one is the future and one is not.

Edited by Wamsley01

Your optimism is admirable Cataclaw, but I we just flat out stunk tonight. If you think the Caps defense was porous, we were porous times 2. I don't want to start another "fire Carbo" rant but I get the distinct feeling the guys have just stopped responding to him. Our players are NOT as bad as we showed tonight... and they are playing like this with frightening regularity for a fair while now.

Your optimism is admirable Cataclaw, but I we just flat out stunk tonight. If you think the Caps defense was porous, we were porous times 2. I don't want to start another "fire Carbo" rant but I get the distinct feeling the guys have just stopped responding to him. Our players are NOT as bad as we showed tonight... and they are playing like this with frightening regularity for a fair while now.

Well, to be a glass half full guy. The habs won a ton of games like this last year and haven't really this year.

So if we can get 5-6 more of these this year they may be in a little better shape.

Well, to be a glass half full guy. The habs won a ton of games like this last year and haven't really this year.

So if we can get 5-6 more of these this year they may be in a little better shape.

agreed we do need to win games that we have no business winning... gotta have some luck. but just as in 1993, if we put a few lucky games together.. God knows where we will end up!

woooo..>! I'm just on such a high tonight. we need to keep pulling games out of our asses.. GO HABS GO!

agreed we do need to win games that we have no business winning... gotta have some luck. but just as in 1993, if we put a few lucky games together.. God knows where we will end up!

woooo..>! I'm just on such a high tonight. we need to keep pulling games out of our asses.. GO HABS GO!

The scary thing is, if they make the playoffs all they would need to do was avoid a Jersey or Ottawa matchup.

New Jersey would be an automatic elimination, Ottawa would be possible but a longshot.

Nobody else would put fear in me in a 7 game series.

Welcome to My NHL 3.

on another note... I love to see our kids from the farm team. stepping it up. Tonight we got another sneak speak at our future... these kids have loads of potential.. I"m grinning from end to end knowing we have a great lineup for our future.

Making it work for the present is just a BONUS!

Edited by Chips

This is so basic. What "hockey sense" does Sergei Kostitsyn have for us that Ryder seems to have lost? Maybe go the the slot? Smell the coffee? Bizarre since Ryder is doing all of the other little things correctly. That equates to a fourth line player grade.

Kosty Jr is always Mr. SLOT. :clap:

Yeah, i am being optimistic, probably too optimistic, but a win's a win, and the standings won't care about how it came about.

When the guys play good but somehow lose, everyone's pissed at them. Yet when they play bad but somehow win, they're still pissed at them. Sucks to be a Habs player.

Edited by Cataclaw

Yeah, i am being optimistic, probably too optimistic, but a win's a win, and the standings won't care about how it came about.

When the guys play good but somehow lose, everyone's pissed at them. Yet when they play bad but somehow win, they're still pissed at them. Sucks to be a Habs player.

DAMNED STRAIGHT. HEAR HEAR AND CHEERS.

A win is a win and shots don't necessarily count in chances. Our goalie stole some points. Kolzig was flat some say. The Streit goal was a drag. Kostitsyn Jr's goal was helped by Koivu in front of Kolzig and it was a beauty pass by Kovy. The second Latendresse goal is a tough call but maybe Kolzig should have had that. Kovy handcuffed Kolzig with a beautiful read and pass to Pleks. Kolzig was worried about Kovy. :lol: Pleks was allowed to have a coffee break, look at the time and score :lol: The first Latendresse goal from Koivu tape to tape was unstoppable. Brodeur would have been scored on. The puck arrived before mental anticipation could kick in for Kolzig. The only save that could have been made was Kolzig having (by chance) perfect positioning with his glove.

Out of all that, Caps scored twice. How many Habs goals were legit and not garbage tonight? Enough to win!

I'm not saying we don't have some issues. But the other side of this coin (positive) is that we shut them down. I love how Chippy went to the net with authority. Streit takes out the trash. :clap:

Leefs lost. We won. I love it. No shame in this win. The D shutdown system worked! Huet :clap:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

DAMNED STRAIGHT. HEAR HEAR AND CHEERS.

A win is a win and shots don't necessarily count in chances. Our goalie stole some points. Kolzig was flat some say. The Streit goal was a drag. Kostitsyn Jr's goal was helped by Koivu in front of Kolzig and it was a beauty pass by Kovy. The second Latendresse goal is a tough call but maybe Kolzig should have had that. Kovy handcuffed Kolzig with a beautiful read and pass to Pleks. Kolzig was worried about Kovy. :lol: Pleks was allowed to have a coffee break, look at the time and score :lol: The first Latendresse goal from Koivu tape to tape was unstoppable. Brodeur would have been scored on. The puck arrived before mental anticipation could kick in for Kolzig. The only save that could have been made was Kolzig having (by chance) perfect positioning with his glove.

Out of all that, Caps scored twice. How many Habs goals were legit and not garbage tonight? Enough to win!

I'm not saying we don't have some issues. But the other side of this coin (positive) is that we shut them down. I love how Chippy went to the net with authority. Streit takes out the trash. :clap:

Leefs lost. We won. I love it. No shame in this win. The D shutdown system worked! Huet :clap:

Always helps me sleep at night :)