Game Thread | Habs vs. Capitals | 12/20/07

Cataclaw

I love how Chippy went to the net with authority. Streit takes out the trash. :clap:

Speaking of Streit, i was sort of amused at that powerplay in the 3rd period... the puck kept coming back to Streit, and he'd keep taking shots. How many shots did he fire from the point during that PP? Like 6? It was getting to be kind of funny. :D

(Granted most of them missed or were blocked)

Edited by Cataclaw

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Streit, i was sort of amused at that powerplay in the 3rd period... the puck kept coming back to Streit, and he'd keep taking shots. How many shots did he fire from the point during that PP? Like 6? It was getting to be kind of funny. :D

(Granted most of them missed or were blocked)

One of my holiday wishes upon a star is that Streit gets his shooting accuracy back. It was on the money out of the gate but has dried up lately. I guess he's saving it for the real season. :)

Cmon on a 5 v 3 the Dman shouldnt be taking slappers unless his name is Souray. Only current Habs Dman should be shooting is Markov who has a laser guided wrist shot. Other than that, on a blooody 5v3 get the puck to Kovalev and either let him try his deke then wire from the face off circle, or a beauty passm either through the crease, into the slot, or to a dman sneaking in.

Sloppy game by both teams, but in the end the habs had better D and goaltending then the caps. We'll take it and build on it to solve our holes (weakness in the zone).

People put way too much stock in the shots on goal. The Capitals certainly outshot us badly, but in the first two periods did they really have any solid scoring opportunities? I hardly remember a moment where i was nervous they were gonna score.

Of course, Pierre and Yvon would see this as complete domination.

On a side note

Anyone notice Gaborick got 5 goals tonight?!?!

Unreal..

I've always underestimated him and I knew it and have been waiting for him to take another step. Gaborik is knocking on the true elite door. Could this be the signal he's now risen? Absolutely huge. Impressive for sure

I've always underestimated him and I knew it and have been waiting for him to take another step. Gaborik is knocking on the true elite door. Could this be the signal he's now risen? Absolutely huge. Impressive for sure

He's been one of the best / most skilled forwards in the league for years.. injury has kept him from the top of the scoring leaderboard. :/

Habs win 5-2 but most fans, the coach and the players all agree: the Habs got lucky.

You know, beside technique and finding ways to win, the Habs coaching staff had a huge mission when they took this team last year: teach hunger for perfection.

Hunger for perfection means you don't get satisfied with these "lucky" wins. Hunger for perfection means you get left in the stands when you're a 20 yrs old in your 2nd year with the team because your spot isn't garanteed...

I like to hear the players say "Yeah, we win, but we got lucky" after a 5-2 victory. It means the coaches' staff message is slowly starting to sink in: be unsatisfied of half-assed efforts.

It's not much but it's a start.

Playoffs? Goaltending battle?

Neither one yet.

Tonight was another game we would normally lose, except Huet was on and Kolzig got cold between shots. Bored to tears at times I'd say.

As for the goaltending status, Huet is back, Price filled in well and showed he will make it. He handles the puck so well for a young kid. I give him his rookie errors and am glad he is there. Huet is by far more experienced, and hopefully the push from the bench drives the best out of him. Wouldn't it be nice if he stole us the games that we normally lose around this time of year? For a change we would be looking good come Allstar break.

2 pts, all that matters. Keep the faith.

Well said. My thoughts exactly

Were did Sergei play?? On the third line, and second Powerplay unit?? Cuz Lats is back on the first line. Or did they two switch a couple of times during the game?

For the most part, Sergei played with Saks and Higgins, with maybe a shift on the PP when he scored. Lats played with Lapierre and Dandy for most of the game, with a little PP time, when he scored in the 1st period. Late in the game Dandy took Sergie's spot on Saku's right side.

It's nice to get a win when you play like shit. Especially a 5-2 win, how the hell did that happen? We just fumbled around and sometimes we fumbled the puck into the net. Our defensive zone coverage was terrible, we were always just bunched around the middle and not challenging the puck.

That was a nice win a win the Habs did not deserve but they have given too many points away to inferior teams this season.

I really would like to see Latendresse and Chipchura back playing together I really don’t understand why thy were separated in the first place.

Huet played like a deamon he does not want to give the #1 role to Carey.

Why Lats and Chips not together??, mostly because of poor play by

Chip recently this and them not being productive together.

Right now Chipchura ice time has dropped mostly because small

details in his play. Face off are an issue on PK for him.

5-5 if we consider ice time in the last games Chipchura is playing less and less.

Latendresse 2 goal was a direct result of a won face off in offensive zone by Lapierre.

Huet dominated this game i never seen him lok so angry, but it works!!

If we can ride on a Huet streak thta wouuld fit nice in the holiday road trip.

This is so basic. What "hockey sense" does Sergei Kostitsyn have for us that Ryder seems to have lost? Maybe go the the slot? Smell the coffee? Bizarre since Ryder is doing all of the other little things correctly. That equates to a fourth line player grade.

Kosty Jr is always Mr. SLOT. :clap:

How long has it been since we've had a guy who sits in the slot and actually has that killer hand eye coordination to deflect shots. Kovalev is so dangerous from that right side and now add Lil titties who can change the direction of those pin point shots........could get interesting

Good morning ladies.

Just got to the office a few minutes ago. THe X-mas party was crazy! I didn't even get to see the game, but that's all right. Our boys came out on top and took the 2 points!

Nice to see Latendresse get a couple of goals...hopefully Carbo will keep him on the first line for more than just one ######ing game!

Also nice to see little t1ts get his first goal, and Kovy get a couple of assists. Looking at the box score, i noticed that Huet made 35 saves, not bad for his return.

Good things about this game:

-our goalie was hot

-we got a few goals 5 on 5 and also managed to score on the power play

-Kosty jr. scored his first NHL goal

bad things:

-majorly outplayed. Huet and Lats stole those points for us. I know we should be happy about escaping with a win, and I am, but we need to play better as a team. Hopefully the fact that the players said they weren't happy with their play despite the win means they're slowly starting to change. All I know is that playing like this regularly won't get us wins regularly.

We need to be better.

Well they always say the weren't satisfied with the effort, unfortunately talk is cheap. So don't talk about it, actually do it.

When they work hard hard they proved they can hang with the big boys in the east (except sens and devils)

The problem has been they are only use to to playing 10 full games a year, after the start this year those 10 games are up.

Play the kids... time to call more of them up. Keep a few veterans around for flavour. Enjoy the highs, weather the lows, and appreciate the creamy middles.

First, way to go Habs...VICTORY......

Iron Lung, my thoughts exactly.

There are some on this board that bring out the negatives of this team brobin and chris for example, and in my mind I cannot find it in myself to disagree with them. There are players hitching a free ride on the coattails of the youth that is evolving into a good cohesive unit. Sure non of these guys are Crosby or Malkin, however they do make up a nucleus of a strong team. This is why we see some crappy games and some games where you think "Who is this team?" Price and Huet is a major reason Habs have a chance at the playoffs. NOT smoke, kovalev, ryder etc.... guys you would expect to caryy a team.

To those that think Montreal was lucky against Washington, well I respectfully disagree as to be a decent team you have to win the ugly games. Montreal wins ugly and when these guys do gain more experience they will be better. Personally I think guys like Ryder (even though he tries hard) and Kovalev are not right for the chemistry long term for this team. Move them now as Ryder is not scoring(will not get 30 goals this year) and will not be back and Kovalev has one year left after this year.

Short term they occupy spots that they will eventually lose as this team is just not up to winning a cup....

YET!

Well they always say the weren't satisfied with the effort, unfortunately talk is cheap. So don't talk about it, actually do it.

When they work hard hard they proved they can hang with the big boys in the east (except sens and devils)

The problem has been they are only use to to playing 10 full games a year, after the start this year those 10 games are up.

LOL, harsh.

I think this team is better than last year's. The poor efforts still concern me though.

If Kolzig plays a strong game I would probably be venting right now.

It is going to take 6 straight wins to catch up to last years pace. Even sadder though is that going 12-12 will also tie last years pace.

No cushion for a collapse this season.

But at least we aren't Leaf fans watching Toskala do his best Palmateer/Cujo impression and still losing.

Edited by Wamsley01

Personally I think guys like Ryder (even though he tries hard) and Kovalev are not right for the chemistry long term for this team. Move them now as Ryder is not scoring(will not get 30 goals this year) and will not be back and Kovalev has one year left after this year.

:blink:

Ok, you're talking about the guy who has been the most consistent player on the team this season...and the guy that is the kind of offensive threat other teams have to gear their defensive gameplan around? If Kovalev continues to play the way he has so far for the entire season, BG would be nuts not to extend his contract for a year or two more.

Edited by sbhatt