Game Thread | Montreal vs. Atlanta | 12/22/07

Spider-Man NL

This is mostly Ryder's fault anyways....we're a 30 goalscorer's contribution away from winning in regulation instead of going to the shoot-out. Ryder is supposed to be that guy. God, I hate him.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is mostly Ryder's fault anyways....we're a 30 goalscorer's contribution away from winning in regulation instead of going to the shoot-out. Ryder is supposed to be that guy. God, I hate him.

Not trying to jump all over Ryder's back, but with his missing production, the Habs would surely have a few more points. The 10 more goals that he could have at this time would sure come in handy in all these OT and Shootout games.

No, man, it's Boom-Boom's fault, taking the scoring title away from Rocket during the suspension. You can see it's playing on the Habs minds.

But it is nice to have 5 of 6 points. The only other point I'd bring up is, we have played three of the worst teams in the east recently, and have

Florida: 0 points (they are hot now)

Washington: 2 points

Atlanta: 1 point

Tampa Bay: 0 points

We have to do better against the lower-level teams somehow!

What do we do with Ryder now? If Lil Kosty is getting points, we can't boot him outta the 1st line. Guys like Ryder, Lats and Lil Kosty need first or second line talent around them in order to produce. I still think that Lats needs his shot at the first before Ryder. He has been playing better lately.

No, man, it's Boom-Boom's fault, taking the scoring title away from Rocket during the suspension. You can see it's playing on the Habs minds.

But it is nice to have 5 of 6 points. The only other point I'd bring up is, we have played three of the worst teams in the east recently, and have

Florida: 0 points (they are hot now)

Washington: 2 points

Atlanta: 1 point

Tampa Bay: 0 points

We have to do better against the lower-level teams somehow!

Agree, we usually do well on the south west road trip though, so hopefully we own Dallas. Pricey in nets I assume.

Edited by BCHabnut

What do we do with now? If Lil Kosty is getting points, we can't boot him outta the 1st line. Guys like Ryder, Lats and Lil Kosty need first or second line talent around them in order to produce. I still think that Lats needs his shot at the first. He has been playing better lately.

But who do you move?

Higgins on the third line??? A.Kost? - which would mean that the third line would need revamping into an offensive line.

Difficult problem.

A quote from Huet:

"I was surprised he shot so quick," Huet said. "I'm not very confident in our shootouts, but it was nice to get one more point (in the standings)."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225755&hubname=nhl

Well that certainly makes me feel better

A quote from Huet:

"I was surprised he shot so quick," Huet said. "I'm not very confident in our shootouts, but it was nice to get one more point (in the standings)."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225755&hubname=nhl

Jeez, I will sleep well knowing that, Thanks Cristo, you are ruining my holidays.

Blame Ryder ?? He was in the press box. Why is he there ?

Because he doesn't score, why he doesn't score ? Because he has no passion

for the game. Why keep someone in our line up with no passion for the game??

Go ask Bob. i cannot figure it out.

And where was Higgins on overtime ?? Benched or invisible??

I was very happy with the effort tonight, for the most part, we outplayed Atlanta. We knew we could never beat them in a shootout but I'm happy we went the distance with them and atleast picked up a point we deserved. What we need now is to win the game against Dallas to turn this SOL into a positive ("3 out of a possible 4 points") instead of a negative ("2 losses in a row").

PS - thumbs up to Hamrlik and Kovalev, those two are just incredible players and their confidence must be intimidating for opposing players.

Well it seems to be conclusively proven that Huet SUCKS in shootouts, but tonight he really had no chance against Atlanta's shooters. What's even worse is that our shooters are terrible, I can't see how Koivu will avoid getting pokechecked every single time because everyone knows his two moves (and he seems stuck on one nowadays).

But in this game, we were robbed. The reffing really pissed me off, if you're going to make all those weak calls for Atlanta then do it both ways. Our PK was pretty good, but if we weren't shorthanded so often I think we would have pulled it out before the shootout.

As for the players, Koivu needs to play like a 2nd line centre even, he is completely useless out there. All year we've been blaming Ryder for his drop in production, but seriously Koivu is sucking hard. He just fiddles around and falls down and then takes a penalty. He never wins battles. S. Kostitsyn was the best player on that line. And Higgins was awful too, he always tries to do too much. Most of the time he loses the puck on a pokecheck because he tries to deke around three players. He can't deke, that isn't his game. He always tries to take it all the way to the net when S Kostitsyn is in good position, he's playing selfishly. And when he lost the puck on the powerplay in the third... he just stood there and tried to pull a Kovalev move and then coughed it up. Pathetic. Someone needs to talk to him to remind him what his game is.

Are you still talking? Koivu is playing really well tonight...as he has in the past two games. Does that erase the dozen plus he stunk the joint out for? Not yet.

If you think Koivu has stunk out the joint for 12 games this year, you do not watch the games very closely. This is the generalized bull that I hate to see posted.

If you think Koivu has stunk out the joint for 12 games this year, you do not watch the games very closely. This is the generalized bull that I hate to see posted.

Koivu has not been that great this year. And why does he continue to take lazy penalties 180 feet from his goaltender?

I am not here to begin a Koivu debate, but he needs to up the production for the Habs to get to the level we hope.

Well it seems to be conclusively proven that Huet SUCKS in shootouts, but tonight he really had no chance against Atlanta's shooters. What's even worse is that our shooters are terrible, I can't see how Koivu will avoid getting pokechecked every single time because everyone knows his two moves (and he seems stuck on one nowadays).

But in this game, we were robbed. The reffing really pissed me off, if you're going to make all those weak calls for Atlanta then do it both ways. Our PK was pretty good, but if we weren't shorthanded so often I think we would have pulled it out before the shootout.

As for the players, Koivu needs to play like a 2nd line centre even, he is completely useless out there. All year we've been blaming Ryder for his drop in production, but seriously Koivu is sucking hard. He just fiddles around and falls down and then takes a penalty. He never wins battles. S. Kostitsyn was the best player on that line. And Higgins was awful too, he always tries to do too much. Most of the time he loses the puck on a pokecheck because he tries to deke around three players. He can't deke, that isn't his game. He always tries to take it all the way to the net when S Kostitsyn is in good position, he's playing selfishly. And when he lost the puck on the powerplay in the third... he just stood there and tried to pull a Kovalev move and then coughed it up. Pathetic. Someone needs to talk to him to remind him what his game is.

If you have such a problem with our team why do you watch then??? Although I do agree that the refs were terrible yet again.That is why guys like Koivu dont score too much because we are always short handed.

Edited by SOOPAVILLIN

Koivu has not been that great this year. And why does he continue to take lazy penalties 180 feet from his goaltender?

I am not here to begin a Koivu debate, but he needs to up the production for the Habs to get to the level we hope.

We can argue all day, again, about how well or poorly Koivu has been playing. But the fact is that exaggerated statements like "Koivu has stunk the joint out for XX games" are just stupid. It's not his best season, but God help us if he was slumping like Ryder, etc. We would be done without him, and everyone should realize that and give it a rest. He is doing what he is supposed to be doing out there.

As far as the production you mention, I havent looked at his projections, but it seems like he is on pace with his average.....hence doing what he is supposed to do.

Some people just have it out for him because he's our captain and leader, and not a superstar.

And Wamsley, although I think your posts are mostly reasonable and valid, I dont buy that you are a Koivu fan. You claim to be, but you make a point of knocking him at any opportunity. Just like you put Price on a pedestal, even though the guy has done NOTHING yet in the NHL. I love Price and hope he is a superstar someday, but he could just as easily be MA Fleury. Dont crown him yet..

Jezus Christ of Latter Day Saints!!!

I think we need to calm down here.

The boys played an OK game at best last night. I don't really think they deserved the win. They got what they deserved. The Second period was horrible!

Koivu did NOT play a good game last night. he took 2 stupid penalties and was not very good with the puck. I do believe he coughed it up a couple of times.

huet looked shaky out there. He did make some nice saves(which allowed us to get that one point) but he seemed to struggle with his puck control all night! Huet is gonna have to work on the shootout. He might be one of the better goalies in the league, but he is one of the worst on the SO.

I really liked Kovalev's and Hamrlik's game lat night. They both played a good game. I also loved that hip check by Komisarek on Perrin.

Tonight's game is gonna be a tough one. they will have travelled all night, and Dallas is a pretty good team. Can't wait to see how Ribeiro plays against our boys!

We can argue all day, again, about how well or poorly Koivu has been playing. But the fact is that exaggerated statements like "Koivu has stunk the joint out for XX games" are just stupid. It's not his best season, but God help us if he was slumping like Ryder, etc. We would be done without him, and everyone should realize that and give it a rest. He is doing what he is supposed to be doing out there.

As far as the production you mention, I havent looked at his projections, but it seems like he is on pace with his average.....hence doing what he is supposed to do.

Some people just have it out for him because he's our captain and leader, and not a superstar.

And Wamsley, although I think your posts are mostly reasonable and valid, I dont buy that you are a Koivu fan. You claim to be, but you make a point of knocking him at any opportunity. Just like you put Price on a pedestal, even though the guy has done NOTHING yet in the NHL. I love Price and hope he is a superstar someday, but he could just as easily be MA Fleury. Dont crown him yet..

When have I bashed Koivu? Koivu is the face of the franchise. The face of the franchise during it's worst 10 year period in 60 years. That is a fact, it is not bashing anybody.

To be a fan you have to support a player unconditionally? You have to put him on a pedastal and make him untradeable? If you want to be a fanboy and suggest that Koivu is providing what he is supposed to go ahead. I choose not to.

Koivu is on pace for 63 points, his worst PPG pace since 1999. If that is acceptable to you then your standards are low. That is fine for you. Not for me.

As far as Carey Price, I don't believe in bashing 20 year old players. I defend Latendresse and question people's expectations all the time.

These guys have potential, and until they reach an age where this potential goes untapped, then I will begin to think of criticism.

The worst thing I may do is limit potential in my mind. I have been pleasantly surprised by Chips.

The guys I have been critical of over the last 2 years are Rivet, Ryder, Huet, Souray, Kovalev, Samsonov, Carbo at times. Ryder took 3 years before I began any atempt at criticism. I like all of these players except Samsonov and Ryder. Souray was limited, but I still loved him on my team. Just not at that price.

You don't think I am a Koivu fan? OK. Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Wamsley01

Another battlefield thread eh? I'm glad decorating and wrapping on the coffee table while watching the game kept me away. I'm not going to bother to read the war story.

As for the game. No worries. We were on the road (stop thinking that because we have a good road record right now means we can take it for granted) and we got a point. Good. We out shot them - another good!

Huet is a great goalie and I wish for him to stay as long as he can get us sweet points or playoff victory. But Huet is not the future.

Another battlefield thread eh? I'm glad decorating and wrapping on the coffee table while watching the game kept me away. I'm not going to bother to read the war story.

As for the game. No worries. We were on the road (stop thinking that because we have a good road record right now means we can take it for granted) and we got a point. Good. We out shot them - another good!

Huet is a great goalie and I wish for him to stay as long as he can get us sweet points or playoff victory. But Huet is not the future.

Some people would like a messageboard where everybody blows sunshine up each others ass, there is no criticism for players on the home team.

What is the point of coming to a board to read about how good all the players on a team that has not had home ice advantage in a playoff series

since the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals? I hope that is not the future of this board. If it is that type of thing that may prompt me to find another one.

Edited by Wamsley01

Some people would like a messageboard where everybody blows sunshine up each others ass, there is no criticism for players on the home team.

What is the point of coming to a board to read about how good all the players on a team that has not had home ice advantage in a playoff series

since the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals? I hope that is not the future of this board. If it is that type of thing that may prompt me to find another one.

We must have differing opinions but it sounds like it's getting personal. I criticize players myself and I encourage others to also. On another note, this is a game thread. It's about "Montreal vs. Atlanta | 12/22/07" but other topics will come in to range I suppose. If people want to have wars in threads why not start a thread on it's own? Let the argument fester in there and stay on topic in the game thread. From time to time things will go off topic and that's cool. Just as long as it doesn't turn into a vendetta told you so thread.

What game thread?

Cataclaw has a season thread. These game threads for whatever reason are getting too off topic sometimes.

Carbo put Huet in goal. Regardless of how much a person wants him as number 1 or 2 or traded isn't going to prevent Carbo from starting him. Who cares anyway?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

We must have differing opinions but it sounds like it's getting personal. I criticize players myself and I encourage others to also. On another note, this is a game thread. It's about "Montreal vs. Atlanta | 12/22/07" but other topics will come in to range I suppose. If people want to have wars in threads why not start a thread on it's own? Let the argument fester in there and stay on topic in the game thread. From time to time things will go off topic and that's cool. Just as long as it doesn't turn into a vendetta told you so thread.

What game thread?

Cataclaw has a season thread. These game threads for whatever reason are getting too off topic sometimes.

Carbo put Huet in goal. Regardless of how much a person wants him as number 1 or 2 or traded isn't going to prevent Carbo from starting him. Who cares anyway?

I get irritated because anybody who says anything about (insert local hero here) is jumped on. I don't care if people don't agree with me.

But when I say I am a Koivu fan and somebody says I am not, that is BS. How the ###### do they know? Because I criticize him? Give me a break.

When somebody says that they can't take the stress and is going to stop watching for awhile and is told....you are not a true fan, that is BS.

Everybody here is entitled to an opinion. Some are informed, some are not. If you don't like what somebody has to say, give a well thought

out rebuttal. Contradict what they are trying to say, present your opinion in the best way possible. If they still disagree, so be it.

But commenting on things you know nothing about is asinine. What is this board going to be like if they tank it over the holidays?

This board has always been different than the other habs boards. But it has been less enjoyable the last couple of weeks.

Maybe it is time for a break.

Edited by Wamsley01

Agreed.

I get irritated because anybody who says anything about (insert local hero here) is jumped on. I don't care if people don't agree with me.

But when I say I am a Koivu fan and somebody says I am not, that is BS. How the ###### do they know? Because I criticize him? Give me a break.

When somebody says that they can't take the stress and is going to stop watching for awhile and is told....you are not a true fan, that is BS.

Everybody here is entitled to an opinion. Some are informed, some are not. If you don't like what somebody has to say, give a well thought

out rebuttal. Contradict what they are trying to say, present your opinion in the best way possible. If they still disagree, so be it.

But commenting on things you know nothing about is asinine. What is this board going to be like if they tank it over the holidays?

This board has always been different than the other habs boards. But it has been less enjoyable the last couple of weeks.

Maybe it is time for a break.

Don't worry man, we'll still let you celebrate if Koivu ever wins a cup with us. You just wont get quite the enjoyment out of it as some of us.

I'm sure you are a fan, I guess I should have said you weren't a great one. You dont exactly bash him, you just dont miss an opportunity to point out his negatives. You are allowed to criticize him or anyone else, and nobody around here should get their panties in a bunch. But spread it out a little.....Koivu is not our problem. You keep mentioning how people have made him undealable, and I'll again point out that most are open to that, but would obviously rather if he stayed.a

You want a rebuttal? His current pace would be one of his best point totals. He'd have more points if Higgins could find the net and Ryder didnt forget how to play. Yes, I said it...he needs wingers. I'll save all of your breath for you and acknowledge how you will say "But Koivu has had the same production with all of the wingers he has played with". True, and our leading scorer for the past 3 years has a high of 30 goals. It's not an excuse that we are not surrounding him with talent....it's a fact. I watch him play.....he creates chances and they are not converted.

He is what he is and he's on pace for an average season for him. You somehow want more. That's not gonna happen unless Higgins gets a scoring touch for Christmas. He's not even my favourite habs, but I cant stand to see people criticize the guy because he's not a superstar.

As for Price, I'm not suggesting you ever bash him. I'm just suggesting that if you want credit for being accurate, observant, and impartial, then you should take him off the pedestal a bit. In your eyes, he can do no wrong. He's young, but he is pretty much our starting goalie now and has to take blame every now and then. Him being 20 is not a reason we cant be critical of him at times. This is pretty much analagous to your Koivu argument in that respect....neither are exempt from criticsm