Game Thread | Habs vs. Lightning | 27/12/07

Cataclaw

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sloppy sloppy ending!!

Some lines juggling at the end, and no concentration. Hate it to end a game that way..

The way I saw it ~ the last few minutes the frustrated Lightning team were being booed by their hometown fans and figured the vibe would improve if they knocked someone's head off or beat up someone other than Kostos.

In the face of this intimidation the Habs backed off. Were it not for the insurance goals TB might have easily got back into the game.

We frequently struggle late and blow leads, Habs could use a go-to mofo for times like this, maybe somebody could give Lapierre boxing lessons?

Am I the only one this is bugging?

Here is the official spelling I keep seeing on nhl.com's scoresheets: "Siarhei Kastsitsyn".

Big Bro sent the league his "official" spelling, Little Bro probably didn't yet. These names are Romanized versions of their Cyrillic spellings. Sergei Kostitsyn is the Russian version and Siarhei Kastsitsyn is the Belorusian version.

either that or they had different mothers

Karlsson-Richards-Darche

And we thought it was bad when Koivu was playing with the likes of Kostopolous, Smolinski, and Dandenault. I might as well be Brad Richards' right winger.

I don't think the Lightning would be a very competitive AHL team if you dropped their top line. Just shows how good Vinny really is.

Andrei was a "Kastsitsyn" until he became an NHLer. Sergei is definitely one now too so the name will change eventually in all circles. Both of them are spelled properly on my Yahoo fantasy team.

I love to see them finally playing the youth more and more often.

These line ups were good to play against Tampa.

Florida is another story, We can't go on against the Panthers with the same

3-4 th line.

Last night Carbo rolled 3 lines most of the 2 first period then got the lead, sat Koivu to

rest him and played checker.

2 games in 2 night means a strong first period to score first and then strong and

patient play by all four lines. Not a fourth lkine with Kosto or Ryder centering, we all saw what it has done at the end of TB game.

So Chipper back with Kosto and Streit.

And Dandenault-Lapierre-Higgins. Ouch that is fast, very fast.

Ryder,,,OUT!!

Ryder puts it right in the middle of the goalie's chest....

...I don't think he's going to get 'it' back.

But that is vintage Ryder! He just needs three of those for every one he manages to put in. This season maybe five or six.

I missed the game, and only managed to catch the end on Canadiens Express, where we already had five goals and had decided to stop trying. Good win though! We HAVE to beat Florida this time, seriously.

I like having Latendresse with Koivu! We always seem to get the most production out of Lats when he's with the captain, he'd be the first one to agree. Higgins with Ryder on the third line seems like a decent idea too, to try to go for three offensive lines. That might be even better with Chipchura up the middle.

Was Chips the one sitting out tonight? I couldn't tell from what I saw. I also didn't see Koivu at all, apparently he wasn't feeling well in the third and Carbo was resting him.

Edited by Neech

well the offensive zone was pretty good last night. Solid at times in there own end, used there speed and played about 45 minutes then backed off.

I liked the line combos last night. I'll get crushed for this but i like Higgins on the 3rd line or whatever you want to call it. With Chipchura though, not Lapierre. I like Lapierre in a 4th line agitating role. Higgins does everything well and the line up was more balanced, he's not a top line LW, his only flaw is he is not a pure finisher.

Let's here it for Gorges again, the only who stands up for team mates.

Bad news:

Too many turnovers in there own end but what else is new.

No team toughness.

I think Gorges has played great so far. He deserves a spot more than Bouillon, Streit or Brisebois. He is decent under pressure, he can skate well, he has excellent passing skills and the guy is willing to fight a monster for his team - A huge plus on a team full of pussies.

I thought those line combos were the best of the season. All lines had chances and skated hard. Latendresse looked really good with Koivu and Kosty jr. Higgins made our third line a real threat but I agree with Chris that Chips instead of Lapierre would be even better.

I'm curious to see what they do against Florida tonight.

I think Gorges has played great so far. He deserves a spot more than Bouillon, Streit or Brisebois. He is decent under pressure, he can skate well, he has excellent passing skills and the guy is willing to fight a monster for his team - A huge plus on a team full of pussies.

I thought those line combos were the best of the season. All lines had chances and skated hard. Latendresse looked really good with Koivu and Kosty jr. Higgins made our third line a real threat but I agree with Chris that Chips instead of Lapierre would be even better.

I'm curious to see what they do against Florida tonight.

totally agreed. Lats is great on the first, and Higgy's great on the third. As long as we go for offense and pressure instead of backing off with a one-goal lead, then we spread out the offense in a way that makes sense, not just break it up and have it not working anywhere.

So if the third line is with Chips instead of Lappy up the middle, move Lappy down to centre the fourth and sit Kosto?

Or does Ryder sit and Lappy just move to his spot on the wing on the third line?

I would sit Streit. He brings nothing to the table. Add him onto a trade with Ryder. I agree he hustles and works hard but i would much rather have real 4th liner on that line.

Dandy lapierre Kosto Begin on the left when he isn't hurt.

Gorges can miss the net 5 times a game on the PP just like Streit can.

This team needs more size and toughness

I would sit Streit. He brings nothing to the table. Add him onto a trade with Ryder. I agree he hustles and works hard but i would much rather have real 4th liner on that line.

Dandy lapierre Kosto Begin on the left when he isn't hurt.

Gorges can miss the net 5 times a game on the PP just like Streit can.

This team needs more size and toughness

I think a trade is coming up in the next couple of weeks because when Brisebois, Begin and Smolinski get back, the only other alternative would be sending O'Byrne, Lapierre and Kostitsyn down and it's really not worth it for us.

Even with Ryder gone (as he undoutedly will be), we would have Smolinski, Gorges and Streit sitting every game until more injuries come up - this is assuming we don't get a single roster player back in return for Ryder. Problem is I don't see any players on this team other than Ryder that I would rather not have them than have them (aside for maybe Smolinski who has a NTC) so we don't really have anyone else to trade. It looks to me like O'Byrne will be sent down to the minors once Brisebois returns.

What a drag for Ryder. A -2 on the night. :puke: I wish I had a genie because right now a point per game burst starting today would really help in making the decision easier to keep him or get something substantial in return. Right now he's no better than a pick on the return. He'll only be wanted by a contender or playoff bound club. Why would that club give away an integral player to rent Ryder?

Ryder snap out of it PLEASE! Too bad he probably won't.

Gorges has been ok, but from what I've seen he's not very good under pressure. Sometimes he just waits too long until someone takes the puck from him, or he does his signature whiff or stumble that invariable result in a good scoring chance. He's young so we should be lenient with him, but I hope these 'caffouillages' aren't ingrained in his game like they seemed to be with Souray.

I do like how he stands up for his teammates, but Boullion does that too. So far I'd put Bouillon slightly ahead of Gorges in terms of level of play.