Game Thread | Habs vs. Panthers | 28/12/07

Cataclaw

This is a guy with 40-40 potential. I can live with 30 goals, but he should be getting atleast as many assists consiering the talent he has.

Considering his linemates for most of the season, Koivu who historically is a playmaker more than a shooter, and Ryder who couldn't score if the girl was drunk...I mean, hasn't been scoring at his usual clip, how can Higgins get that many assists? Shoot the puck off Ryder's ass? Set him up with a 2 on 0 breakaway every time?

He'll get his assists when his linemates are ABLE to score. Were Ryder on pace for 30 goals, Higgins would be great assists-wise.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering his linemates for most of the season, Koivu who historically is a playmaker more than a shooter, and Ryder who couldn't score if the girl was drunk...I mean, hasn't been scoring at his usual clip, how can Higgins get that many assists? Shoot the puck off Ryder's ass? Set him up with a 2 on 0 breakaway every time?

He'll get his assists when his linemates are ABLE to score. Were Ryder on pace for 30 goals, Higgins would be great assists-wise.

Very good points, Trizzak.

Shoot the puck off Ryder's ass?

lmao

Keep in mind this is what, Higgins third season? The first one where he's going to play an entire year (if things go well)? He's improving, and I predicted about 30 goals out of him this year. His potential is higher, and he will reach it one day if things keep on going well. He will get forty goals one year, and that season the Habs will win the cup, and during the parade he'll sing Paradise City from a rooftop while the crowd gets naked and fireworks go off with jets flying over head and Kovy parachutes in for the guitar solo. On that day he will reach his potential.

For the record, Higgins never said he was a 40-40 man, he said he would LIKE to be a 40-40 man (someday)

No, he said he has the talent to be a 40-40 man and that that is his goal for this year. He should have similar numbers to what Kovalev has right now. Otherwise how has he improved from last season? He is the exact same player which is a bad sign for a young (third year) player that we have high hopes for.

Ryder only played on his wing for about 20 games or so, I think. He's got a chance to play with almost everyone on the team and he gets lots of powerplay time which is where it's easiest to get assists. When he hits his prime he should be a somewhere between a 30-30 guy and a 40-40 guy. When he made the lineup in his rookie season, he was probably projected to be either a good second liner or a great third liner. After his first two seasons, he was projected as a firstliner. But if he keeps at his pace this season, he's going right back down to a good secondliner/great 3rd liner. If we want our team to make the jump from good to great we need our firstliners to put up more than 55 points. So he is definitely a guy that needs to pick his game up or else this season will be a big disappointment for him.

By the way, in this morning's Gazette he even admitted that he thought he was having a bad season so there you go. :hockey:

No, he said he has the talent to be a 40-40 man and that that is his goal for this year. He should have similar numbers to what Kovalev has right now. Otherwise how has he improved from last season? He is the exact same player which is a bad sign for a young (third year) player that we have high hopes for.

Ryder only played on his wing for about 20 games or so, I think. He's got a chance to play with almost everyone on the team and he gets lots of powerplay time which is where it's easiest to get assists. When he hits his prime he should be a somewhere between a 30-30 guy and a 40-40 guy. When he made the lineup in his rookie season, he was probably projected to be either a good second liner or a great third liner. After his first two seasons, he was projected as a firstliner. But if he keeps at his pace this season, he's going right back down to a good secondliner/great 3rd liner. If we want our team to make the jump from good to great we need our firstliners to put up more than 55 points. So he is definitely a guy that needs to pick his game up or else this season will be a big disappointment for him.

By the way, in this morning's Gazette he even admitted that he thought he was having a bad season so there you go. :hockey:

he clearly has a "bad" season, if he scored on only 1/2 of all his opportunities, he would have way better numbers than kovy...

he clearly has a "bad" season, if he scored on only 1/2 of all his opportunities, he would have way better numbers than kovy...

I think you're agreeing with me but I can't tell. Anyways, I don't think he's playing badly. He just needs to play better if he wants to be our 1st line LW permanently, like we want him to be.