Game Thread | Habs vs. Rangers | 30/12/07

Cataclaw

Also, don't forget, we were short benched on top of that, missing one of our most consistent offensive threats.

Yes, and our face off struggles would have been partially alieviated with Koivu in the line-up too.

Things are looking good for January.

Bring it on, bitch!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*slaps Athlétique* :lol:

Where do you get .75?

We went .500 for the first half of the road trip, .833 for the second half of the road trip, and .667 overall for the 6-game event.

I can forgive the OT gaffe as well. Hamrlik is, dare i say it, even more consistent than Markov (although Markov is still better overall due to other qualities he brings to the table)

I swear to you that I never bothered to do the calculations. Murray Wilson said it on CJAD. Ooops

Still those are nice road numbers ;)

Well great road trip but Huet lost the team a point tonight they held the Rangers to 20 shots and 2 powerplays of wich they managed just a single shot.

Clutch goalies win you those games more than they lose them I am dissaointed.

Kovalev Kostitsyn and Plekanec were fantastic tonight.

What killed the Habs tonight is the fact they came out in the 3rd an intirely different team. In the 2nd period they had jump, were forchecking and keeping the puck in the Rangers zone. The Rangers only had 1 fricken shot in the 2nd. Sounds like the uptempo forecheck was working defensively. So what does the team do ? come out in the 3rd and completly abandon what was wroking for them. The Rangers were tired and beatin in the 2nd period .. The Habs let them back into this game by not going for the jugular. They sat back and tried to bore the Rangers to death. That = loss in OT ... once Drury scored you could see they got life back and the Habs didn't have a chance to win the game, They had lost they're jump and couldn't get it back.

Also, don't forget, we were short benched on top of that, missing one of our most consistent offensive threats. Let me ask: what do you see here?

409px-Glass-of-water.jpg

A glass, where the bottom half contains water, and the top half contains, most probably, air. :lol:

Anyway, A. Kost, aka Hooters, got 3 points, which is great for our rookie! I hope he keeps building confidence and scoring like that. S. Kost, aka Perky, got another point tonight too ... which is great for his development.

We were shy our Kaptain, and his replacement wasn't allowed on the ice because of a technicality (no equipment, meh!), and we were missing our #4 D ... so all in all, I think they won a well deserved point.

I hope our Kaptain feels better for the next game, or that Locke finds his equipment!

I also hope that Price gets another start soon!

Disappointed with only the 1 point tonite, but definitely a successful road trip. Another late 3rd period goal. Frustrating that this keeps occurring. I agree they were hanging on for dear life late in the 3rd period. Great game by the Pleks line tonite. Give them more icetime and see what happens. Tough break on the giveaway by Hamrlik. Huet, not very sharp tonite. It's rare when the Habs only give up 21 shots.

How anyone can blame Huet is beyond me. The team sat back in their own zone for the entire 3rd period again left Huet hung out to dry. It was only a matter of time.

This team simply cannot play with a one goal lead. They don't seem to understand that teams like NJ play in the neutral zone when they are hanging onto a lead, not in their own zone!!!!

I just don't get why after every loss the goalie (Huet or Price) is suddenly named the goat. There was nothing wrong with the goaltending, their was a problem with the team play. Sheesh, a breakaway in overtime, a zinger to the top corner.. that is a bad defensive play and a great shot. No goalie is stopping that puck, imo.

I would like to hope that the team will learn from this, but they didn't learn their lesson the last 15 times they tried to sit on a lead for the entire 3rd period, so I am not optimistic.

How anyone can blame Huet is beyond me. The team sat back in their own zone for the entire 3rd period again left Huet hung out to dry. It was only a matter of time.

This team simply cannot play with a one goal lead. They don't seem to understand that teams like NJ play in the neutral zone when they are hanging onto a lead, not in their own zone!!!!

I just don't get why after every loss the goalie (Huet or Price) is suddenly named the goat. There was nothing wrong with the goaltending, their was a problem with the team play. Sheesh, a breakaway in overtime, a zinger to the top corner.. that is a bad defensive play and a great shot. No goalie is stopping that puck, imo.

I would like to hope that the team will learn from this, but they didn't learn their lesson the last 15 times they tried to sit on a lead for the entire 3rd period, so I am not optimistic.

I was there. The rangers have probably the second best top 6 in the conference. once we had the lead we were playing for the point. yes it sucks, but when you look at who we were playing against, on the road, without saks, i was happy with the point.

On the goalie note, I don't think anyone is talking about Shanahan's goal - the issue is with the first two.

Huet does have tendencies like this.

That said, to try and come out defensive might be absurd, but there might have been mitigating factors as well: tiredness, a short bench.

On the goalie note, I don't think anyone is talking about Shanahan's goal - the issue is with the first two.

Huet does have tendencies like this.

That said, to try and come out defensive might be absurd, but there might have been mitigating factors as well: tiredness, a short bench.

and that is the point I luv huet but tonite was not his night he had 2 very poor goals and 1 so so goals. the boys outplayed the rags for most of the nite and deserved better than they got. But to blame carbo is ridiculous. He is the same coach that won 3 in a row on the road so grow up for crying out loud. we are in good shape 4th in the conference what the hell do you want 82 wins ? That is for the habs bashers and is not an answer to this paticular post which I agree with

Glad to see that A. Nipples had a good game. It looks like Hamrlik made the costly mistake, I've noticed a slight drop in his play lately. But he's generally really solid.

I just hope we keep up the energy and focus for our homestand.

Massive Mellons has just been exploding out of his t-shirt lately. What does he have now.. 21 points? Not too shabby.

Small Boobs is doing pretty good too. I think we can safely say he won't be seeing anymore time in the AHL.

Just finished watching the game, and i loved our second period. Damn we were good, i cant believe we sat back the 3rd one. When you have such a good period, you know what the key is. But they thought one goal was enough again. I 'm very happy with our recent play and the points we're getting. But i still get disappointed the defense play to protect leads. We suck at that, dont do it again.....

Now i wonder how our play @ home will be, we sucked before. I hope with the new lines we get better @ home to.

BTW Ryder had a very good game, also defensively(that defensive play in the second period in front of our goal and than the hustle to Lundqvist was amazing....i can imagine him being on the ice in OT. With Boobies and Kovalev he was the best player on the ice. I think Plekanec was good at attacking, but made some defensive mistakes. Gorges and the Cube had a good game to again...

Btw2 Streit was good on Hamrlik's left side, loved his big check in the Powerplay that lead to a goal!

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Is it just me...or does Josh Gorges turn the puck over way too much? Yes, I know we need him there now...but when we have a defensive surplus, he needs to spend a few games in the pressbox and work on his puck awareness in practice and work on pressure plays (which he is AWFUL in executing)... I am always nervous every single time he is out there and the puck is deep in our zone

On another note...decent effort tonight..it's too bad Corey Locke wasn't in the lineup....to be honest he reminds me of Koivu in some ways.

Anyways, sorry for posting in the other thread Cataclaw, but I was too eager for the game thread to be up :lol:

And last but not least, I would like to wish everybody on Habsworld a safe and happy new year!!! May our Canadiens pick up where they left off playing above .500 hockey for 08

GO :hlogo: GO

I was at the game last night and the players that stood out the most were Kovalev, Hamrlik Higgins and Pleks. Huet was great down low but other than that glove save he made, he seemed to be having trouble with anything in the top area of the net. For one reason or another, his confidence seems to be shattered as soon as the game goes into overtime (or shootout)

As much as I enjoyed the game, it was our game to lose. Had we captialized on our opportunities in the 3rd (particularly the two 2 on 1's Pleks was involved in) we would have won.

On a side note, I wasn't expecting the Rangers fans to be so hostile! I got to exchange some heated words with some loser sitting behind me once I started cheering after their post was ruled a "no goal" in the 3rd. He told me to sit down and shut up, I told him to faaaack off (in greek, french and english). Hahaha...then there was a fight after the game while waiting in line for the bathroom between a Rangers fan and one of our own. Our guy, won the contest by KO'. :clap:

(Haven't been to a Habs - Leafs game at the Bell Centre but am sure we are not as aggressive towards Leafs fans as we should be. Maybe we should take a page out of the Rangers playbook on that one).

Happy New Year to everyone on this board and th Habs fans worldwide!!!

:hlogo: GO HABS GO :hlogo:

Is it just me...or does Josh Gorges turn the puck over way too much? Yes, I know we need him there now...but when we have a defensive surplus, he needs to spend a few games in the pressbox and work on his puck awareness in practice and work on pressure plays (which he is AWFUL in executing)... I am always nervous every single time he is out there and the puck is deep in our zone

On another note...decent effort tonight..it's too bad Corey Locke wasn't in the lineup....to be honest he reminds me of Koivu in some ways.

Anyways, sorry for posting in the other thread Cataclaw, but I was too eager for the game thread to be up :lol:

And last but not least, I would like to wish everybody on Habsworld a safe and happy new year!!! May our Canadiens pick up where they left off playing above .500 hockey for 08

GO :hlogo: GO

Ya I really wanted to see Locke perform. I was vey disappointed. But having Higgins and Kovy double shifting a lot probably gave the team strengths that Locke could not have provided.

Overall game impression. Time to increase the 2nd line playing time. They are our true 1st line.

Too bad our boys choked last night. WE had the win, but couldn'T put the puck in the net...and then they sat on the lead again. Huet can'T stop a player on a breakway.

At leat the boys picked up 8 out of a possible 12 points on the read trip. Not bad.

...then there was a fight after the game while waiting in line for the bathroom between a Rangers fan and one of our own. Our guy, won the contest by KO'. :clap:

Can he skate? If so, please send Bob his name and number ^_^

Too bad our boys choked last night. WE had the win, but couldn'T put the puck in the net...and then they sat on the lead again. Huet can'T stop a player on a breakway.

At leat the boys picked up 8 out of a possible 12 points on the read trip. Not bad.

Any point with your number one centerman out of the lineup is pretty much bonus, especially for Montreal.

Only one player choked and it's Huet.

He can bring us some wins and even close to a playoff spot but no way

ever i want to see him in a tight situation. I was hoping for a standout performance

by him in the third. All he did his cover puck timidly on weak shots and make the first

move on shots by opponnents. What is this position?? one knee on the ice and give the top

of the net. If it's a Melanson advice, please change the goalie coach fast, before he

mess with Price talent.

More so, Montreal doesn't need a goalie coach, period. They need a defense including

goalie coach. Technichly our goalies know what to do, they need to know what their defensement are doing.

Yes Huet was pretty weak last night, funny how know one really calls him out when when he gives up 4 goals, 2 really soft ones. But when Price gives up 4 and the team in front of him doesn't show up i's all about Price. Huet can only play a couple of good games at a time, then he needs a rest or a break. Throw Price back in, you can't sit him for long. Is it just me or when Price is in the game i am more relaxed watching, while watching Huet you are always waiting for him to let the weak one in.

Decent first great second and the typical stop skating and think they are better then they are. As soon as they stopped skating you just new it was a matter of time before the Rangers tied it, then once in OT you knew Huet wouldn't make the Stop.

All in all, not a bad night when you play a man down, especially a centre who can win a faceoff atleast half the time.

Yes it is you who thinks Gorges turns the puck over all the time. I was thinking he may be a better match for Hamrlik then Streit, who was abused all night in his own end last night.

Let's hope they take a day off and come out flying on thursday.

I wouldn't mind seeing Locke a couple games.