Game Thread | Habs vs. Rangers | 30/12/07

Cataclaw

Only one player choked and it's Huet.

He can bring us some wins and even close to a playoff spot but no way

ever i want to see him in a tight situation. I was hoping for a standout performance

by him in the third. All he did his cover puck timidly on weak shots and make the first

move on shots by opponnents. What is this position?? one knee on the ice and give the top

of the net. If it's a Melanson advice, please change the goalie coach fast, before he

mess with Price talent.

More so, Montreal doesn't need a goalie coach, period. They need a defense including

goalie coach. Technichly our goalies know what to do, they need to know what their defensement are doing.

You just described 90 percent of all goaltenders in the NHL, including Price.

Where did all the goals on Price go in the last little while? Top corner. Unless it is a two on one or a scramble, the snipers pick the top corner. Most shooters (ie. most habs) can't hit it reliably, so must goalies play the percentages.

I seriously can't believe that people are blaming Huet for this. Statements to the effect that he failed to stop Shannahan on a break away and therefore cannot be relied on to make the "big save" shows just how stupid most fans are, as well as how short their memories are. Huet has made many game savers for this team, but no one ever remembers.

Perhaps if one of our "snipers' could pick the corner on their chances we wouldn't have been in the overtime.

Yes, Huet is not the best goalie in the shootout, but neither is Luongo, Thomas, Biron or several other goalies with top save percentages.

I would rather have Huet with how keeps this team in the game most of the time then a goalie with a crap save percentage and nice shoot out stats.

Huet and Price might just be the best goaltending tandem in the league right now. Goaltending is the least of our problems. This team needs to learn how to play with a lead. If they want to sit on it, then play the neutral zone trap, not the run around your own end for the entire 3rd period like its a PK. They need to play better defense overall, and they need to play 60 minutes. Frankly, they got lucky in Florida and Tampa with some easy goals and big leads.

In any case, this is a bubble team and they need to learn from this. And that goes for all of them, players and coaches.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just described 90 percent of all goaltenders in the NHL, including Price.

Where did all the goals on Price go in the last little while? Top corner. Unless it is a two on one or a scramble, the snipers pick the top corner. Most shooters (ie. most habs) can't hit it reliably, so must goalies play the percentages.

I seriously can't believe that people are blaming Huet for this. Statements to the effect that he failed to stop Shannahan on a break away and therefore cannot be relied on to make the "big save" shows just how stupid most fans are, as well as how short their memories are. Huet has made many game savers for this team, but no one ever remembers.

Perhaps if one of our "snipers' could pick the corner on their chances we wouldn't have been in the overtime.

Yes, Huet is not the best goalie in the shootout, but neither is Luongo, Thomas, Biron or several other goalies with top save percentages.

I would rather have Huet with how keeps this team in the game most of the time then a goalie with a crap save percentage and nice shoot out stats.

Huet and Price might just be the best goaltending tandem in the league right now. Goaltending is the least of our problems. This team needs to learn how to play with a lead. If they want to sit on it, then play the neutral zone trap, not the run around your own end for the entire 3rd period like its a PK. They need to play better defense overall, and they need to play 60 minutes. Frankly, they got lucky in Florida and Tampa with some easy goals and big leads.

In any case, this is a bubble team and they need to learn from this. And that goes for all of them, players and coaches.

Don't get me wrong i am not a Price blinded. I am only stating that Huet is not he goalie i want in the net when everything is on the line.

Save % wull get us a good chance of being in the playoffs. Clutch saves and doors shotted will

tell rivals, you can't beat us when we have the lead.

Yes it's a team thing but the last man standing has to stop the puck. And if he doesn't stand

then we're on the losing side.

Don't get me wrong i am not a Price blinded. I am only stating that Huet is not he goalie i want in the net when everything is on the line.

Save % wull get us a good chance of being in the playoffs. Clutch saves and doors shotted will

tell rivals, you can't beat us when we have the lead.

Yes it's a team thing but the last man standing has to stop the puck. And if he doesn't stand

then we're on the losing side.

I have to disagree with this. Seeing as Price is one of your two "favourite habs" I'd have to say your are Price blinded to a certain extent. This is only one thread, and debates about the goalies will continue until Price is the starter in a year or two, however at this point in time Price is not the goalie that will make those big saves. Other than Luongo, Kiprosoff and Brodeur, there is no goalie in the league that I'd feel more comfortable with than Huet in regards to making that big save. As of now, Price makes the saves he has to, whereas Huet makes the incredible save you don't expect. The two simply cannot be compared. Huet's had a good run since he got back, so like brobin said, there's no need to even bring him up as 'the' issue.

I have to disagree with this. Seeing as Price is one of your two "favourite habs" I'd have to say your are Price blinded to a certain extent. This is only one thread, and debates about the goalies will continue until Price is the starter in a year or two, however at this point in time Price is not the goalie that will make those big saves. Other than Luongo, Kiprosoff and Brodeur, there is no goalie in the league that I'd feel more comfortable with than Huet in regards to making that big save. As of now, Price makes the saves he has to, whereas Huet makes the incredible save you don't expect. The two simply cannot be compared. Huet's had a good run since he got back, so like brobin said, there's no need to even bring him up as 'the' issue.

That statement is a testament to the skill involved.

A great goalie makes every save look easy because of positioning and being able to read the play.

A friend of mine who is an NHL scout has frequently said "Never take the goalie that makes alot of flashy saves, they are out of position too often and are forced to make the flashy saves. Take the guy that never has to make those type of saves and that is your number one goalie."

God couldn't have stopped that Shanahan shot. Quit picking on Huet.

?

It was a great shot but it was from reasonably far out. Had Huet even moved, it would have been a likely save. No, it's not a softie, but it's one of those stops a #1 goalie should be making, especially in overtime and especially when he's got another talented goalie on his team eager to steal his spot.

That statement is a testament to the skill involved.

A great goalie makes every save look easy because of positioning and being able to read the play.

A friend of mine who is an NHL scout has frequently said "Never take the goalie that makes alot of flashy saves, they are out of position too often and are forced to make the flashy saves. Take the guy that never has to make those type of saves and that is your number one goalie."

QFT

From the hockey gods mind directly to your fingers.

See what happens when I miss a friggin game? Told you all so.

Only seen the highlights so far, will watch it when I get home tonight.

Everyone is either blaming or not blaming Huet for the final goal, what the highlights haven't shown me is how Shanahan was so wide open. Did someone let him get behind them or was he out of the penalty box and again if that was the case, who was the defenceman that didn't drop back to cover him returning to the ice?

On a more positive note, I am now officially retired from the music business, thankfully. Waiting at Pearson for flight home a day late due to snow. Can't wait to flee the cold. 2 months of home renos then bye-bye. Belize it or not.

See what happens when I miss a friggin game? Told you all so.

Only seen the highlights so far, will watch it when I get home tonight.

Everyone is either blaming or not blaming Huet for the final goal, what the highlights haven't shown me is how Shanahan was so wide open. Did someone let him get behind them or was he out of the penalty box and again if that was the case, who was the defenceman that didn't drop back to cover him returning to the ice?

On a more positive note, I am now officially retired from the music business, thankfully. Waiting at Pearson for flight home a day late due to snow. Can't wait to flee the cold. 2 months of home renos then bye-bye. Belize it or not.

Hamrlik gave the puck away and Streit and also joined the rush.

But once in a while you need your goalie to make that BIG SAVE for you.

Also Habs should have won in regulation Huet let in 2 softies.

Johnnyhasbeen, you going to Belize?

That is my plan. I have a couple months work to do fixing up my house for sale. Starting to sell of antiques and musical gear this week. Lots to clear up on this end first, but hoping to be out of here by end of March at the latest. Interested in going down in the midterm to check out some businesses for sale. I really want a little tiki bar, however we may start with another business first. http://wetwendys.com/ is very interesting and it is in Cozumel which I love. It could easily end up being Mexico instead of Belize, but I like the Commonwealth connection so I will take a serious look . This company http://belizejungletours.com/ is one my wife wants, but can you go with a Sens fans opinion? Pregresso Mexico was my long term goal up until recently when I expanded my desired location range.

It will be soon, exactly where and what we aren't sure. The move, however is a definate go. Anyone looking for a Strat? LesPaul special 2-p90? '69 Fender Pro Reverb? Taking one guitar, my '72 LesPaul hollowbody, and my favourite amp, an old Traynor. Also have a variety of old peddles I will be reducing, if I can bring myself to do so. I mention this stuff for Shortcat and other guitar guys on here. Be nice to sell to people I sort of know.

Any point with your number one centerman out of the lineup is pretty much bonus, especially for Montreal.

I said our boys choked because they had the lead with less than 7 minutes to go in the third period. When that goal was refused to the Rangers (in the 3rd period) you would have thought that it would have been a wake-up call for our boys. But no, it didn't wake them up. They kept on running around like chickens without their heads in the 3rd. You just knew it was a matter of time the Rangers would score.

Lets not forget the 2 on 1(Plex and Kovy) that could have sealed the deal...but alas, no.

In any case. I'm not too mad about thae game against the Rangers. At least we picked up 1 point!