Now or Never for Tarasov

Next year will be it for him. It'll be make or break.

He has done poorly over the last year with his Russian club, Metallurgist.

Michaud is definitely one of our goalies next season, and we'll have to wait for later on in the summer for Fichaud to announce his usual retirement, or if we aquire another goalie.

Does anyone know Brathwaite's salary? I'd like to have him as a a goalie in Hamilton so Michaud doesn't get shell-shocked.

Tarasov is very inconsistent (his play dictates that). "He's hot when he's on, and cold when he's not". As a backup goalie it wouldn't be a bad idea, but two rookies in Hamilton wouldn't be a great idea for a CALDER-CUP-WINNING TEAM.

He is Brodeur-like in puck-handling, Hasek-like in reflexes, and Daigle-like in overratedness.

:lol:

But seriously, he might one day be a good goalie, but his next year will be his final chance.

Joni Puurula is looking mighty fine, and when his military service is over, he'll be cracking at a chance for an NHL job. And he came a close second to Kari Lehtonen in the playoffs, so obviously he's got potential.

So let's see what happens. Tarasov has potential, and I'd rather see him in net than Puuruula, but things can change.

:aus:

Dammit Puck, make an Australian Smiley!

:lol:

• 4 years later...

Where are they now?

A goalie coach I used to work with got contracted by a Russian team 'Salavat' and has some interesting things to say about Russian goalies.

With my discussions with the goalies and coaches I have learned a lot about their situation, traditions, training etc... Very interesting week with a couple of days left.

The 2 best goalies I have had this week are Alexexander Eremenko (Russia # 1 goalie at World Championships) and Vadim Tarasov (used to play for Quebec Citadelles). Both told me that they have no help available in Russia. Old goalie coaches just teach the same mistakes they have done themselves when they used to play.

How ever, these goalies have talent and it seems really amazing how quickly they can adopt new things as we have been working with them to modernize their styles a bit and give them better tools.

State of goaltending at Russia

tarasov1.jpg

Vadim Tarasov

tarasov3.jpg

Jukka Ropponen & Tarasov

Just look for yourself.

The following is a short vid from the Caps' 2007 Rookie Camp, Simeon Varlamov, Washington's 1st round pick (!! Not Kidding) in '06.

You can't tell that much from a short vid like this but you get my point, that kid needs a lot of work (IMHO).

Mind elaborating on the Varlamov video (a.k.a. the stuff he needs to work on) ?

I'd say five hole and rebound control with his glove hand. His glove seemed quick, but he didn't seem to catch it very often. Stick side seemed pretty strong and he was good at deflecting them into the corner, where they're supposed to go.

P.S. Talk about a name out of the past, I though I was the only one who remembered the name Tarasov, haha. He and Markov were probably the first Habs prospects I heard of before they played in Montreal. Right around the time I found out a wealth of info was on the web, haha.

- stick discipline

- skating

- eyes on the puck/rebound control

- stance

- save selection

'Fundamentals'

..and like Fanpuck said, that 5-hole..

Don't understand why Washington took him over Leland Irving.

He's got decent size at 6'1" - 183, He's athletic, quick and from what I've read he has a good work ethic. He is still young (19) so there's room for improvement.

The Caps offered him to come over to North America (most likely ECHL/AHL) but he has chosen to stay in Russia.

ГАЗЕТНЫЙ НОМЕР 30.06.2007

Oh?..

According to Alexandre Ovechkin Varlamov will challenge Olaf Kolzig come training camp :blink::blink::wacko:

Varlamov playing a double game?

I doubt he'll challenge Kolzig for the #1 spot.

Don't think I'll ever be a member of the Varlamov fan-club. Leland Irving? Now that's another story.. ;)

:?- What on earth is save selection? Sounds like deciding which saves to make! :lol:

Doesn't that make sense?

Performing a certain move at the wrong time could leave him vulnerable to other scoring opportunities.