O'Byrne suffers broken thumb

Habsfan84

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/2261

by Kevin Mio

Canadiens rookie defenceman Ryan O'Byrne broke his right thumb in a fight against Tanner Glass late in the third period of Friday night's 5-1 victory over the Florida Panthers.

O'Byrne has returned to Montreal. Mark Streit will move to defence for the road trip-ending Sunday night game against the Rangers in New York.

Kyle Chipchura, a healthy scratch for the two games in Florida, will centre the Canadiens' fourth line with Mathieu Dandenault and Tom Kostopoulos.

Cristobal Huet will make his third consecutive start in goal for the Canadiens.

Thats a big loss for the Habs. I guess italways helps having Streit and Dandy playing wings.

Breezer should be back soon though. They were saying two weeks a while back though.

I don't think it would have made a difference in this case, they were going after him for the (clean) hit he dished out to some Panthers player I forget.

This goon talk annoys me. I wouldn't sacrifice actual offense for someone who can barely skate, especially with almost all of our roster spots being occupied by young players who need ice time.

I don't think it would have made a difference in this case, they were going after him for the (clean) hit he dished out to some Panthers player I forget.

That was a big hit Obyrne delivered. I loved seeing him do it. It was clean for sure.

Yes the Panthers were after him and he fought both of them. It was just an unfortunate event for Obyrne. I dont think having a goon would of helped sice they were after him.

That was a big hit Obyrne delivered. I loved seeing him do it. It was clean for sure.

Yes the Panthers were after him and he fought both of them. It was just an unfortunate event for Obyrne. I dont think having a goon would of helped sice they were after him.

Maybe they don't go after him so hard if they realize there's a lunatic on the other side who's gonna jump Jokinen if they do. As of right now, there's no deterrent.

About the goon talk, no thanks. We need the player spot for our youngsters to keep improving.

I'll see if you still feel that way after someone important to the team like Komisarek breaks his hand fighting, or one of our skilled forwards gets put out for a long stretch having to fight. It's only a matter of time.

I'll see if you still feel that way after someone important to the team like Komisarek breaks his hand fighting, or one of our skilled forwards gets put out for a long stretch having to fight. It's only a matter of time.

You never "have" to fight. Guys like Komisarek will usually rough it up a bit, get surrounded by both teams, and then just drift back to the bench. Our guys don't usually drop them because they know better. Enforcers are outdated in the new nhl. Besides, statistically speaking, fights usually break out in situations where the enforcer isn't on the ice, so even if we had one, no guarantees he'd be used.

He will be out 6 weeks.

Son of a bitch! Too bad for the kid. He was starting to play better. I just hope tht they won't send him back to Hamilton when his thumb is better.

I agree, however I thikn a goon who can play would be better...but those are really hard to find!

Son of a bitch! Too bad for the kid. He was starting to play better. I just hope tht they won't send him back to Hamilton when his thumb is better.

My guess is that is exactly what will happen. On this road trip Gorges and Cube played very well. (Considering they are the 5 and 6 D pairing.) With Breezy on his way back, and Streit able to play wing or D, O'byrne will probably go back to the dogs. The good news is that BG and Carbo know that he is ready for the NHL.

Besides, I would rather send O'byrne down than Perky lil hooters. He has adjusted very well. The addition of Sergei and using Lappiere with Ryder and Higgins gives us three offensive lines, and we aren't wasting talent on a grinding line.

My guess is that is exactly what will happen. On this road trip Gorges and Cube played very well. (Considering they are the 5 and 6 D pairing.) With Breezy on his way back, and Streit able to play wing or D, O'byrne will probably go back to the dogs. The good news is that BG and Carbo know that he is ready for the NHL.

see, watching o'byrne play regularly with Breezer injured makes want him to keep playing in place of breezer. Hamr's GREAT at bringing up kids and teaching them the game. I'd rather o'byrne keeps playing and breezer sits when they're both back, but I know it won't happen.

He has already earned his spot., this thumb thing doesn't affect his training

it's not like a knee. He will be on the ice everyday working on his skating,

evaluating opponents from the press gallery.

I do not say it's a good thing that he is hurt but it his a long season and he will be

energized for the last 25-30 games when others will be wore down.

What I don't understand is why guys like Howe and The Rocket could routinely get into fights and nobody ran home crying, and nobody broke their thumbs for six weeks. Is it the helmets/visors that do it? If so, why don't players remove them before fighting?

What I don't understand is why guys like Howe and The Rocket could routinely get into fights and nobody ran home crying, and nobody broke their thumbs for six weeks. Is it the helmets/visors that do it? If so, why don't players remove them before fighting?

They played through things like that because if they did not play they did not get paid. The players are protected now.

I would say you are right on there. I wish they would just remove the helmets, but it seems like most fights now are a wrestling match to get the helmet off, followed by a couple blows and it's over. My guess is O'Byrne was thinking, "Ok so while he's trying to get my helmet off, I will focus on smashing his face in. Sh!t, that hurts, man I wish I woulda tried taking off his helmet first." :angry:

Expect to see this on Coaches Corner on Saturday. I would be willing to bet $50

This goon talk annoys me. I wouldn't sacrifice actual offense for someone who can barely skate, especially with almost all of our roster spots being occupied by young players who need ice time.

How about a non offensive wasted bench space, like Ryders spot?

ps, I saw it coming and there is more to follow, every team knows there is nothing to fear on our bench. Look out kids they are hunting you.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I've said this for years.