Where is the true Hockey Mecca to play in?

REV-G

This thread is officially boring. If the NHL folded today, the Leafs and Habs would find a way to play each other. The two cities are, by far, the worlds best hockey cities. To debate this with so-called facts is silly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with stats is surely you can't prove them - did anyone ever actually survey every single person in Gatineau and ask them if they are Habs fans?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Nobody has ever asked all the people of Gatineau, but RDS has done a survey where they asked over 1000 people in the gatineau area which team they cheered for, and something like 53% said they cheered for the Habs.

If you know anything about surveys is that you don't really need to have more than approx. 1000 people to conduct an accurate survey. Once you reach 1000 people, the chance of error is about 3%, which is more than acceptable!

I respectfully disagree. 50% of Gatineau are Habs fans...that's 125,000 people in a city of just over 1 million(the entire Ottawa region) and that doiesn'T even count the habs fans in Ottawa proper!

I'm talking about people at a Senators game when they play either the Leafs or the Habs.

Nobody has ever asked all the people of Gatineau, but RDS has done a survey where they asked over 1000 people in the gatineau area which team they cheered for, and something like 53% said they cheered for the Habs.

If you know anything about surveys is that you don't really need to have more than approx. 1000 people to conduct an accurate survey. Once you reach 1000 people, the chance of error is about 3%, which is more than acceptable!

Sure, but they asked 1000 hockey fans. Trust me, not every citizen of Gatineau is a hockey fan. So you can't just extrapolate from 1000 hockey fans to all the population of Gatineau.

Sure, but they asked 1000 hockey fans. Trust me, not every citizen of Gatineau is a hockey fan. So you can't just extrapolate from 1000 hockey fans to all the population of Gatineau.

Yes you can extrapolate from 100- fans. Look at aevery single survey done by Léger Marketing or Ipsos Reid. Most if not all of their surveys are conducted from approx. 1000 people. They don't need to question more people cause they already knw the average answer!

Fine then, it's not 125,000, it's 90,000...or what ever the number is. The point of my post was to say that out of the quarter million people living in Gatineau, 50%+ of them are Habsfans, and that doesn't include the Habsfans who live on the Ontario side of the Outaouais river!