NEXT YEAR

habsfan88

If you guys were Gainey + Julien, what moves would u do in the offseason? Post posts in this thread on what u'd do, and what the final lineup should look like in ur opinion. I know I'd get kovalev back, or try!

Since we dont know how long this off season will be its hard to tell. I bet Gainey knows alot more than we do and somehow I think that if Kovalev is resigned there will be a next season.

pls agree so there is a next season.

I would build a time machine and travel back to the day the Rivet contract was signed and burst into the room shouting "STOP, This Makes No Sense!!!"

But realistically, maybe the summer would be better spent signing Kovalev and renegotiating Theo and Brisebois -- and I bet Gainey is good at the draft!

We will have a very good 04/05 if there is an 04/05.

:que::can::hlogo::ghg::hlogo::can::que:

When you look at Gainey's signings (Belfour, Hull...Audette, Turgeon), some of his trades (Zubov, Sydor, Nieuwy), and some of his draft picks (not all gems, but still...) Morrow, Lehtinen, Langenbrunner, Iginla, Turco, he's done OK. I still have confidence in the Habs scouting staff. While he wasn't great with contracts or some of his trades, Savard has drafted well, IMO. I see the drafting strategy staying pretty much the same.

On a side note, it's looking like the '98 draft is one of the Habs better recent drafts, by far, Ribeiro, Ryder, Markov, Beauchemin.

I'm definitely not as well versed in this year's draft class as I have been the last 3. Guess it's time to do some readin'.

Originally posted by habsfan88

If you guys were Gainey + Julien, what moves would u do in the offseason? Post posts in this thread on what u'd do, and what the final lineup should look like in ur opinion.

I'd:

- re-sign Kovalev

The Habs lack size & skill and he has both, he showed his importance to the team in the playoffs.

- sign Breezer to an extension that lowers his salary, he can be an asset as he showed last year... but only when used & paid at the proper level

- Sign UFA Laperriere, another tough energy guy so Begin isn't the lone sparkplug anymore. He has good size, plays with an edge... and could fill the (french) leadership void with the departure of Juneau & Quintal.

- don't be afraid to trade up in the draft to land the right guy instead of just choosing whoever is left when it's your turn.

- Do NOT bring back Sundstrom, Perreault, Quintal, Dowd... Dackell & Juneau are already official.

- DO bring back Langdon, and Dagenais who at 500k provides very affordable depth.. despite his shortcomings he put up some very decent numbers.

- Bring in a big left D via trade or UFA... Bouillon can be #7 and given the number of injuries we have every year he should see some icetime and keep the top 6 honest.

Potential lineup:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais/Hossa

Bulis-Higgins-Laperriere

Langdon-Begin-Ward

- Higgins should be ready IMO, especially if there's a play stoppage which would give him even more time.

- Hossa should either rebound next year and make it, or be traded in a package for someone who will fill that void on the 2nd line.

I already posted my thoughts about next year in <u><a href="http://www.habsworld.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1376">This Thread</a></u> ... But its alright that you created a new one, its always good to have ongoing discussions on the forum, especially during the slow offseason.

I think most of us can agree that signing Kovalev is the top priority, and we can also mostly agree that we should sign Ian Laperierre...

I'd say getting Kovalev is tops, if we don't get him see what else is out there.

Then signing Kastsitsyn would be next imo. I don't know what impact the IIHF/Russian Federation problem will have on contract talks, but it would be great to have the skill of Kovalev and Kastsitsyn on board.

But with all the uncertainty of next season, it has to have an effect on what Gainey will do. Hopefully he can pull it off. On the plus side, if we can't get Kastsitsyn, he will have a new coach with CSKA, so perhaps he'll get more ice time and do better, as his coach is a former red army star who should understand offensive players better then "Iron Mike" Tiknhov.

Getting Laperierre would also be good, especially if we lose Langdon. I like the idea of Begin and Laperierre together.

It will be interesting to see if Gainey pulls off any moves on draft day, only 21 days away. :hlogo:

Your right montreal, and for everyone here, I dont see why people want perreault gone. It doesnt make sense. Top faceoff man in the league, and he still got scratched. He finally got his real chance in the playoffs and did exceptionally well.....some things that go through peoples minds on this forum really confuse me....

Originally posted by habsfan88

Your right montreal, and for everyone here, I dont see why people want perreault gone. It doesnt make sense. Top faceoff man in the league, and he still got scratched. He finally got his real chance in the playoffs and did exceptionally well.....some things that go through peoples minds on this forum really confuse me....

I never said I wanted Perreault to stay. I will be pissed if he's brought back. There's no room for him and even at a lower salary I wouldn't want him on the team. It's bad enough Dags will likely be back, we need players that can skate with speed and play more aggressive. Perreault was a great filler, but face-off and PP goals aside, Perreault is not what we need.

I'd personally rather see Plekanec or Higgins get a shot on the 2nd line, leaving no place for Perreault, don't bring him back BG!!!!! or I'll :puke: and be :mad::o:wall: