Ovechkin signs extension?

JMMR

Damn... guess we won't be getting him then, eh? :P

Good on Vechy to sign for less than he could have gotten on the open market.

I doubted the Caps would let him get away. They do that and they're screwed. Good move.

Ever wonder why players would sign these deals so early in their careers, knowing that salaries go up and up and up.. simple.. they are smarter then GMs. They know that all it takes is an injury, slump, whatever to bring down their performance and they will lose out. So they get these huge deals (basically his entire career) locked up and is now loaded. He has zero risk. The team has all the risk. If he sucks in 3 years he will will be expensive and untradeable. the team will be screwed for years.

How many players have maintained that level of performance for 13 years? Not many.

Edited by brobin

yea.... the Washington are ALL IN !!! It all depends on Ovechkin now ... like brobin said he injured the whole team is screw up... and definitely I doubt he'll perform so good for all the 13 years he has signed.

Wow! $124 million!?

They say Ovechkin represented himself when hammering out this deal... I don't know about out, but I can picture the sniper, with that sparkle in his eye, smile from ear to ear - and expression that just screamed MONEY!!! MONEY!!! YEEYEYAYYEA!

Seriously though, one has to wonder if he'll regret this deal in the latter part of the term when he could have potentially made more money had he taken a shorter extension (inflation and what not).

Anyway, I can't see Gainey being the type of GM to ever agree to one of these kinds of deals (in terms of term, not $).

I can't see Gainey being the type of GM to ever agree to one of these kinds of deals (in terms of term, not $).

Then Montreal will never have a player of that caliber stay with the team for a long period as long as he's the GM. No player is going to leave years on the table once they have leverage...they're going to get as much security as they can. The top free agent signings of the past two offseasons showed us that. If a guy knows another team would be willing to give him the longterm deal he covets, no way does he extend for a shorter period with his current team.

Then Montreal will never have a player of that caliber stay with the team for a long period as long as he's the GM. No player is going to leave years on the table once they have leverage...they're going to get as much security as they can. The top free agent signings of the past two offseasons showed us that. If a guy knows another team would be willing to give him the longterm deal he covets, no way does he extend for a shorter period with his current team.

Here's hoping we're wrong then, lol.

I'm talking more about potential RFAs than UFAs (to clarify). Maybe we just haven't seen Gainey jump on the long-term deal bandwagon yet because he hasn't had an opportunity to?

Markov and Hamrlik both got big deals from him this off-season, but they're both older guys. Meanwhile, guys like Higgins and Komisarek have picked up 2-year deals so that they can prove they can provide on a consistent basis so when it comes time (sometime next year) Gainey can give them the longer-term contracts they deserve (hopefully).

Still, I can't picture Gainey handing out an 7-10 year contract to Higgins or Komisarek. Maybe he will, but I'm just saying ol' Bob doesn't rub me as the kind of GM to do it.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see Higgi or Komi signed to contracts that'd keep 'em around for years to come.

Wow! $124 million!?

They say Ovechkin represented himself when hammering out this deal... I don't know about out, but I can picture the sniper, with that sparkle in his eye, smile from ear to ear - and expression that just screamed MONEY!!! MONEY!!! YEEYEYAYYEA!

Seriously though, one has to wonder if he'll regret this deal in the latter part of the term when he could have potentially made more money had he taken a shorter extension (inflation and what not).

Anyway, I can't see Gainey being the type of GM to ever agree to one of these kinds of deals (in terms of term, not $).

I don't see it in Colorado either. It will be interesting to see what other teams do as far as 8+ year deals. DiPietro and Ovechkin are setting a weird trend. What does this mean for Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stastny, Backstrom?

Ever wonder why players would sign these deals so early in their careers, knowing that salaries go up and up and up.. simple.. they are smarter then GMs. They know that all it takes is an injury, slump, whatever to bring down their performance and they will lose out. So they get these huge deals (basically his entire career) locked up and is now loaded. He has zero risk. The team has all the risk. If he sucks in 3 years he will will be expensive and untradeable. the team will be screwed for years.

How many players have maintained that level of performance for 13 years? Not many.

Exactly. One hit that takes out a knee and a guy might never be the same. Then there you are paying 9 million a year for Pierre Dagenais, a guy who can shoot but can't skate well enough to do anything else.

I dont know... still anything is possible (for the habs sake) if this planet doesn't explode in 6 years I can see a 28-29 year-young ovechkin at 10 mil, earning far less than crosby who by then is at 15-17 mil much more attractive as trade matter for the habs! remember Luongo! he loved it there the first 3 years in florida! Then the losing after losing took its toll

I think Ovy in the not so near future wont be as impossible to trade as we see it now!

I dont know... still anything is possible (for the habs sake) if this planet doesn't explode in 6 years I can see a 28-29 year-young ovechkin at 10 mil, earning far less than crosby who by then is at 15-17 mil much more attractive as trade matter for the habs! remember Luongo! he loved it there the first 3 years in florida! Then the losing after losing took its toll

I think Ovy in the not so near future wont be as impossible to trade as we see it now!

but anyway :

Ovy : GM, i want to be traded.

GM : i know but i've been shopping you and nobody wants to eat that salary

Ovy : ok let's broke this contract and sign another

GM : Cool what about 3 years for 21 millions ?

Ovy : sounds good, i'm already rich and having fun everyday.

GM : good, then pack your things, you've just been traded to MONTREAL

Ovy : YAAAAAAAAAA

Gainey : YAAAAAAAA

Habs Fans : YAAAAAAAAA

but anyway :

Ovy : GM, i want to be traded.

GM : i know but i've been shopping you and nobody wants to eat that salary

Ovy : ok let's broke this contract and sign another

GM : Cool what about 3 years for 21 millions ?

Ovy : sounds good, i'm already rich and having fun everyday.

GM : good, then pack your things, you've just been traded to MONTREAL

Ovy : YAAAAAAAAAA

Gainey : YAAAAAAAA

Habs Fans : YAAAAAAAAA

Unless the CBA changes again .. you can't break a deal ... only career ending injury , retirement or buyout can cancel a contract.

Unless the CBA changes again .. you can't break a deal ... only career ending injury , retirement or buyout can cancel a contract.

really ? even if the 2 sides agree ? :blink:

You're assuming that the cap will continue to rise as it has in the last few years. I'm skeptical this will happen. I think a good portion of the increase was due to the strength of the Cdn dollar (i.e. Cdn teams revenues translated to USD to calculate the cap). The cap may rise significantly for next year because of this, but after that, who knows? The Cdn dollar seems to have peaked (and slid back of late). That leaves it to higher ticket prices, TV deals, merchandise sales etc. to generate increases. This might depend on U.S.-based franchises, because I have to believe Canadian teams are close to a threshold where they can't generate much more. (In fact, their biggest market, Toronto, might see a modest decrease in something like merchandise sales, if team performance - fingers crossed - continues as it has).

I'd be surprised to see any double digit increases in salary cap after next year; my guess is 4-6% at best. If that's the case, Crosby and Ovechkin won't be as far apart as you might think.